[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Gigachad.jpg (4 KB, 300x168)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
age-ratings are not in any way a good way to sort stories by, and are in fact, really fucking dumb. assuming someone can't handle things based on their age is inherently ageist, and categorizing things that way at the very least implies that's the truth when it isn't.

and it's how they negatively effect stories in general, by either pressuring or outright forcing people to change things solely to fit a certain age-rating, because people view it as too dark for children to handle.

how much people can handle seeing in stories depends on the person, and has nothing to do with age. a teenager might be perfectly fine seeing gore, whereas an adult might hate seeing it.

this is to say, abolish age-ratings. i don't know what rating systems we may replace them with or even if we should, but i can be sure as hell age ratings are stupid.
>>
>>143361784
"No you can't have blood or onscreen death, it's a kids show" as if real children wouldn't fucking love that shit.
>>
>>143361784
To an extent.
There’s certain movies/shows which are technically kid friendly, and so are rated as such, but the themes and stories are really just not for kids. I can’t think of any cartoons like that, but David Lynch’s The Straight Story is rated G, and My Dinner With Andre is rated PG. I wouldn’t show those to kids, not out of fear of inappropriate content but moreso because kids wouldn’t appreciate them. On the other hand you have stuff like Terminator or Robocop, which kids loved when they came out, rated R.
To move the discussion to cartoons, Hazbin Hotel is obviously a kids cartoon, but it has swears. Swears make it for adults by the rating system, except the taboo around swear words is basically gone today. Everyone swears, even young kids. Nobody cares about that anymore. Marking this children’s cartoon as “for adults” is a result of an anachronistic rating system based on older moral values. Kids loved South Park too, people just pretended they didn’t.
The only time an age rating system is genuinely helpful is when it comes to educational content. If your kid is at an age where they need to learn shapes and colors, knowing that certain content is geared for that age is good.
>>
>>143361939
I haven't seen Hazbin Hotel, so I can't comment on that.

What I can say is that most shonen anime are obviously kids shows (specifically KIDS shows, not teen shows), but American rating standards won't allow them to be aired uncut on most explicit kids channels.
>>
>>143361784
You can in the basis that if a thousand fags liked it you probably will like it too

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.