[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_6524.jpg (278 KB, 1544x2141)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
Thoughts on Up? Besides the first ten minutes
>>
>>143371008
It sucks.
>>
Great ending. Carl had a happy marriage with Ellie, but he couldn't have children and wasn't shown owning a pet. His final years are something different for him.
>>
Ed Asner never had a bad VA role, but Carl might have been his greatest.
>>
>>143371008
Up is a great movie and I've never understood the hate for it. The first ten minutes isn't even the best part, it's when Carl opens the adventure book and finds out that Ellie filled it with memories of their marriage.
>>
Great scene
https://youtu.be/a5EcY-Yl7Qc?feature=shared
>>
>>143371008
It was good until the Muntz villain reveal. That felt so forced. I'm just thinking of much more thoughtful this could've been if someone like Miyazaki directed it.
>>
Carl looking at the house for the last time always hits me differently.
>"It's just a house."
>>
>>143371008
I dont get it. Is Phyllis his adopted parent or something
>>
Does an extremely good job of conveying its message of letting go.
>>143371318
this scene in particular, but also the much less recognized antagonist that could not let go of his 'goal' causing him to turn to villainy.
>>
>>143371432
His dad re-married. His mother is dead or possibily divorced.
>>
>>143371432
Stepmom probably
>>
Muntz isn't a great villain, but the scene where it's revealed he has gone insane over the years is memorable.
https://youtu.be/e3YtTqFaboc?feature=shared
>>
>>143371432
We saw his mom at the end in the ceremony. Either his dad is too busy and that's his assistant, or they're divorced and that's his new wife.
>>
It’s good, never saw it as a masterpiece. Need to watch it again because I don’t remember the last time I did.
>>
>>143371432
Phyllis is his dad's name. That's the point, he's telling his son he bothers him too much.
>>
>>143371008
Were his parents divorced or was his mom dead?
>>
>>143371008
Favorite movie as a little kid. Watched it tons of times. I haven’t seen it in years though, maybe over a decade. I remember being surprised that a lot of people only liked the opening sequence.
For some reason, I had this very vivid dream where Up was based on a book that I had. The book had a blue hardback cover, and it was big and wide like those Curious George collections. The book had black and white Shel Silverstein style illustrations. Russel died by falling off the zeppelin, and part of this dream involved watching the special features on the dvd and seeing Pixar interviews where they discussed why they changed it to have Carl adopt him instead. It was such a vivid dream that I still remember it, which is very rare for me
>>
>>143371599
Parents divorced or at least separated, mom is alive
>>
>What you are now witnessing is footage never before seen by civilized humanity: a lost world in South America! Lurking in the shadow of majestic Paradise Falls, it sports plants and animals undiscovered by science. Who would dare set foot on this inhospitable summit? Why, our subject today: Charles Muntz! The beloved explorer lands his dirigible, the "Spirit of Adventure," in New Hampshire this week, completing a year long expedition to the lost world! This lighter-than-air craft was designed by Muntz himself, and is longer than 22 prohibition paddy-wagons placed end to end. And here comes the adventurer now! Never apart from his faithful dogs, Muntz conceived the craft for canine comfort! It's a veritable floating palace in the sky, complete with doggie bath and mechanical canine walker. And Jiminy Cricket, do the locals consider Muntz the bee's knees! And how! But what has Muntz brought back this time?
>Gentleman, i give you: the monster of Paradise Falls!
>And golly, what a swell monster this is. But what's this? Scientists cry foul! The National Explorers Society accuses Muntz of fabricating the skeleton!... The organization strips Muntz of his membership. Humiliated, Muntz vows a return to Paradise Falls and promises to capture the beast... alive!
>I promise to capture the beast... alive!... And I will not come back until I do!
>And so the explorer is off to clear his name. Bon voyage Charles Muntz, and good luck capturing the Monster of Paradise Falls
Gotta feel sorry for Muntz
>>
>>143371661
Seeing as large flightless birds was already known from the SA fossil record at the time, and that forged specimens would have been relatively easy to spot at that time too, besides maybe compound skeletons, I can only assume that it was the fact that the bones weren't fossilized that lead them to suspect him of having made a forgery.
But even then, non-fossilized ratite bones ere known from both Madagascar, and New Zealand, so a similar bird from SA where they already knew that giant flightless birds used to exist, would not have been that odd.
I wonder if Muntz actually did do something to the skeleton, to make the scientific community doubt its validity.
>>
>>143371432
His dad has a mistress.
>>
>>143371008
Up is about learning to touch grass so I don't think you'll get any real discussion here.
>>
>>143371008
The story is fine, I think the badguy being this seemingly super old adventurer was silly.
>>
>>143371008
It's good but the villain feels a bit out of place
>>
>>143371981
How old could he possibly be?
>>
>>143373507
The intro starts at some point in the late 30's, let's be generous and say 1939.
If we assume that Up takes place in the year it came out, 2009, that would be a 70 year gap.
Muntz was likely in his late 20's to late 30's when he disappeared, making him around 95-110 years old.
>>
>>143371008
>Besides the first ten minutes
It's the worst Pixar movie.
For example, I never understood why it was necessary to kill the villain because he wanted to kill an annoying bird.
and when I say that that bird was annoying, that is an understatement.
>>143371255
fpbp
>>
>>143371447
No, it's a stupid message. Accepting death is not the same as giving up your lifestyle and dream.
>>
>>143371471
nope
>>
>>143371963
go back to r*ddit
>>
>>143373611
>For example, I never understood why it was necessary to kill the villain because he wanted to kill an annoying bird.
Serious question, if you have this much trouble understanding a simple children’s movie, what are the chances you have ever understood anything at all?
>>
>>143371447
>is another "old people should abandon their house and memories because it bothers me" message
i hate this shit, never even thought about it but i think i hate this shit movie even more.
>>
File: (you).png (15 KB, 660x352)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>143373928
I speak from a point of direction and criticism of art, not that I didn't understand the film.
>>
>>143374551
Do you remember the scene in the beginning, where the narrator says “Muntz promises to capture the beast... alive!” and it’s immediately followed by Muntz saying “I promise to capture the beast... alive!”? This is a subtle way for the filmmakers to communicate that Muntz had promised to capture the beast alive. When you say “he wanted to kill an annoying bird,” you are misunderstanding the film. The reason they killed him did not have anything to do with his motivations towards the bird one way or the other. They killed him because he was a direct threat to the antagonists, he wanted to kill them. I am sorry you had difficulty understanding Up.
>>
I think I was aged out of it by the time it came out.

Talking goofy dog sidekick didn't really appeal to me.
>>
>>143373507
He was a renowned explorer when Carl was a child, in the reels he looked in his 30s maybe 40s, Carl is an old man when they meet maybe 60, 70 years old and that guy is still alive and kicking. Lets be generous and say he isn't more that 20 years older that Carl, that still makes him at least 80 in the movie which for a man that moves like he does is impressive, then again we are being generous here, he could be in this late 90s or even pushing a 100 for all we know.
>>
>>143373611
>For example, I never understood why it was necessary to kill the villain because he wanted to kill an annoying bird.
>and when I say that that bird was annoying, that is an understatement.
You know what could have been better? the dogs being the villains, think about this, Carl and Russel are chased by this dogs and find the blimp, when they go inside the find a automated machine taking care of the dogs and the skeleton of Muntz inside it, he died in that blimp unable to move on from finding the bird and now his dogs carry his obsession after he died. I think that could have worked better, finding the skeleton of some guy who couldn't move past his past to show what waits Carl if he clings to his old house.
>>
>>143374670
pwned
>>
>>143371008
Always thought it was weird the movie treats this line as some big moment, but by the time the movie was released, kids with divorced parents in fiction was already old hat and not really that shocking of a topic. It was like they were acting like they were twenty years late to the party.
>>
Up is overrated and one of those movies where the protagonists are incompetent.

If I were in the movie I would've easily killed Muntz and his henchmen.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.