[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (304 KB, 500x500)
304 KB
304 KB PNG
Scrappy Doo was hated not for his catchphrase or design or anything.
He was hated because he replaced Fred, Daphne, and Velma, and because the stories changed into strange shorts with Shaggy and Scooby meeting real monsters.
What fans REALLY resented was that the show lost the dynamic that fans actually liked.

It's peak unintentional comedy that the Velma show would use him as its ultimate villain while again losing the dynamic that fans actually liked. Congrats, you repeated history.
>>
>>143372274
People hating Scrappy is revisionist history that came into existence after Scooby Doo was solidified as a brand with expectations and a widespread rejection of 70s style content.
Back when the second generation of Scooby content was coming out Scrappy was seen as breathing new life into the series and appealed to the kids at the time in a way that kept them around.
It wasn't until the reformatting starting with A Pup Named Scooby Doo leading into Zombie Island that Scrappy became hated by the adults who still watched cartoons.
>>
>>143372376
Shut up scrappyfag
>>
>>143372274
Scrappy exposes the limitations of the Scooby Doo formula from his whole schtick of wanting to beat the monster's ass and presenting a "Why didn't they ride the eagles to Mordor?" question that still looms over vanilla versions of the franchise.
If the monsters are always old fucks in Halloween costumes running real estate scams and counterfeiting operations, why don't they just trap and unmask them from the start?
>>
>>143372376
This. Scrappy hate started with early internet newsgroups. Your average person on /co/ doesn't even know what a newsgroup is; hell, their parents probably event don't. It's unlikely their parents were even alive in 1979 when Scooby and Scrappy Doo aired. The hate is manufactured because it's "what's expected of Scooby fans."

It's literally people taking the "Please, Please, Please Get a Life Foundation" from Animaniacs' arguments seriously.
>>
>>143372539
Jesus, thanks for putting it down in black and white like that.
>>
>>143372572
I don't wanna take a side either way but I really wonder if this same thing applies to Jar-Jar and Wesley Crusher.
>>
I think if Scrappy felt more like a little kid way in over his head he’d be more endearing. A lot of characters got glow ups over the years to improve them (Daphne originally was possibly the most boring and useless of the Gang) but Scrappy only barely improved during the Red Shirt Shaggy movies and then became twisted into a hateful little gremlin in the live action film. I don’t mind a little joke where Fred and Velma visibly dislike Scrappy given they both get replaced by him but Scrappy resenting Mystery Inc entirely when he was close with Shaggy, Daphne, and especially Scooby always sat wrong with me.

Besides, the worst Scooby relative is Scooby-Dum, I hated that guy even as a kid.
>>
>>143372376
>>143372572
All I know is that most of the episodes I watched didn't have Scrappy, and then when he showed up randomly unannounced I didn't like him. I was like when Pinky and the Brain turned into Elmyria, Pinky and the Brain. It was just "off," the formula didn't work.

Sure, as an adult I can recognize that the hate got overblown when it turned into a "fandom marker." But lets not go so far into revisionist history to say that the hate was always inorganic. Sometimes a change does improve a series long term, and sometimes a change is a temporary gimmick whose sheen wears off.
>>
>>143372600
What I find funny about Jar Jar is that he used to be the poster child for shitty forced comic relief that drags down a movie. But modern movies are so full of bad, tonedeaf attempts at comedy that if he was in a movie now, he wouldn't even stick out.
>>
>>143372683
Fair but from the sounds of it you were a 90s kid who didn't have that 70s era taste in content that made him so popular. I think that the entire Red Shirt Era did its job in carrying the franchise through the animation pit that was the 70s and its good to leave that behind.
Its just that it leads to many people writing the entire thing off without looking into why it lasted so long and what merits it has.
>>
File: file.png (165 KB, 361x465)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
>>143372539
The monsters Scrappy fought were real monsters that could've fucked his shit if Scooby hadn't dragged him away.
As for "why didn't they just beat them up" in earlier versions... I mean, they were scary crazy fucks that often had weapons. I don't give a fuck if Redbeard is just a shipping tycoon with hired goons instead of a real ghost with a ghost crew... motherfucker's got a fucking sword.
So the gang used traps instead.
>>
>>143372376
>People hating Scrappy is revisionist history
People who say this are the revisionists. I was a kid when Scrappy arrived, and everyone hated that faggot.
>>
>>143372572
>This. Scrappy hate started with early internet newsgroups. Your average person on /co/ doesn't even know what a newsgroup is; hell, their parents probably event don't.

Fuck you I know shit about internet history
>>
File: benis.gif (796 KB, 498x466)
796 KB
796 KB GIF
>>143372376
>>143372683
What people really don't undertand is that despise being insanely popular, the original run of scooby only lasted 2 seasons with 25 episodes

The "third" season that is sold on DVDs with the rest of the show is actually amalgamation of several failed follow ups like the gimmikcy guest star episodes, the scrappy doo run, the Scooby-Dum run, the episodes where it's just Scooby and Shaggy fucking around. Basically trying everything to keep the brand alive, Scrappy was a VERY small part of all that

it's just funny how almost every reboot tries to "stick with formula" when actually it already got old in the early days of the show. As liek Garfield, Scooby is more well know for the merch than the show itself
>>
>>143372795
The few times they actually let Scrappy touch the monster he was easily strong enough to handle a grown man. Which is the only way that shit can go, because c'mon, you seriously think S&P were going to let the tagalong kid get hurt?
>>
>>143372274
>the stories changed into strange shorts with Shaggy and Scooby meeting real monsters
I liked those episodes and 13 Ghosts more than regular Scooby Doo.
>>
>>143372888
>I preferred the eps that did Scooby Doo wrong
Go to bed Mindy.
>>
>>143372888
Checked
I liked both.
>>
There a Mega for S2?
>>
>>143372600
The fact that alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die was created doesn't mean that people didn't hate him before it was created. It literally means the opposite.
>>
>>143372572
>Scrappy hate started with early internet newsgroups.
You are delusional.
>>
I don't think Scrappy is that bad and never did. Scrappy himself is not the problem with Scrappy-era Scooby Doo. I would even argue that the earlier episodes that had Scrappy accompanying the entire gang on their standard mysteries were pretty good and he was actually kind of funny in that dynamic.

The problem with Scrappy is that 90% of Scrappy episodes were dog shit. You'd have episodes where like, a gorilla or a clown just chases Scooby, Shaggy and Scrappy around. No mystery, barely even any other characters. Just an entire episode of them running away from a real witch in a swamp or something. It lost the entire appeal of the show, which was being a kids mystery show. People don't talk bad about the early Scrappy episodes, or even his role in 13 Ghosts because he isn't the problem. He's a perfectly acceptable character done fucking dirty by the garbage surrounding him.
>>
I did not like Scrappy and thought he was annoying. I do not wish death on the voice actor or his fans. It is not all that extreme of stance to have. No one likes a Jar-Jar Binks.
>>
Red Shirt Shaggy era was Peak Scooby.
>>
>>143373333
Scrappy was born in a time of mostly shit and when the series could finally afford better writing it was decided Scrappy wasn't worth playing in earnest despite them never giving it a try.
>>
>>143372858
this is why Velma is good, because it's a break from the unending cycle of scooby reboots.

trying to compare it to other scooby shows and say it ruined childhoods is asinine.
>>
File: Autistic.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>143373719
>this is why Velma is good
>>
>>143373742
yes, faggot.
you're the kind of retard I'm insulting.
>>
>>143372436
Shut up Scrappy hating fag
>>
>>143373595
All the ladies loved Red Shirt Shaggy
>>
>>143373699
Couldn't really have Scrappy when they made the entire team Scrappy
>>
>>143372888
You were doing it wrong, sorry.
>>
>>143372274
Scrappy doo wasn't hated, that is a myth spread by people who hated him.
>>
>>143372572
>It's literally people taking the "Please, Please, Please Get a Life Foundation" from Animaniacs' arguments seriously
What exactly do you think /co/ is?
>>
>>143372274
Scrappy did something good for once.
>>
>>143372274
>He was hated because he replaced Fred, Daphne, and Velma,
No it isnt. Nobody like them pre zombie island.
>What fans REALLY resented was that the show lost the dynamic that fans actually liked.
Nobody like the original, thats why they have to make new gimmicks like Scrappy or celebrity cameos.

Stop with the bullshit lies already.
>>
>>143372376
You are talking out of your ass.
>>
>>143372829
>everyone hated that faggot.
No they dont. Great ratings and saving the franchise says otherwise.
>>
>>143373753
*glorp glorp* "I'M INSULTING YOU!" said the faggot, choking on a thousand dicks.
>>
File: Scrappy.png (1.5 MB, 1920x1080)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
Why did they do it?
>>
>>143373719
A kick to your balls is a break from the unending cycle of not having your balls get kicked.
"It's different." =/= "It's good."
>>
>>143372683
>that the hate was always inorganic.
It is though. It's always an exaggeration, people who hate Scrappy loves to pretend that he never did anything good and that everyone shares their opinion.
>>
>>143373923
>dont
"Didn't", faggot. And yes they did. You were born 20 years later and know nothing.
>>
>>143373947
Because Warner didn't let them use Scooby
>>
>>143372376
Nah, dude, i had watched Scooby Doo as a kid and just didn't get a lot of things. Around a month ago i had started to rewatch it, rewatched original non-Scrappy seasons than got to Scrappy ones. This little shit IS an insufferable faggot, half of his replics and interactions were taken from other characters, other half is fucking the shit up without being punished for that and random phrases without any meaning being put right inside normal dialogues just because, while sounding stupid and out of place. All of this creates quite an infuriating image, that is not that infuriating only for kid, who can't into basic understanding and considers random special effects like randomly added shitty explosions (not ironically added, just random) to be cool. Then you grow up a bit and start to see the Shittiness and (S)Crappyness.
>>
>>143373947
The "everyone hate scrappy and we make him evil" thing they took from the 2002 movie
>>
>>143372376
fpbp
>>143372274
The worst part is that they are only copying the worst part of the movie and not all the good parts.
>>
File: 1315966769244.png (116 KB, 300x392)
116 KB
116 KB PNG
>>143373903
>Nobody liked Scooby Doo before Zombie Island
>>
>>143373965
No they dont. Stop pretending to be old, youre the one who knows nothing.
>>
>>143373719
lmao you didn't even read the post
>>143372858
You're right, but Scrappy Doo doesn't deserve the hate he gets.
>>
>>143373988
Not what I posted at all.
>>
>>143373977
Nobody cares about your personal anecdote.
>>
>>143373977
But you still watched that stuff as a kid.
The point is that Scrappy did his job in the 70s of keeping 70s kids entertained.
The hard hate for him as an annoying bastard came alter when those kids grew up and rewatched the episodes and became sick of him.
The issue is that they retroactively try to whitewash history and put what is known as the Red Shirt Era in the dumpster withing giving it its proper due.
>>
>>143373993
Imagine being you, a millenial faggot who lives to show up in any thread where fucking scrappy doo is mentioned to repeat the same bullshit defending him.
>>
>>143373988
anon is not right, but I feel the same way. I never liked Scooby Doo until I saw Zombie Island.
ok, I liked the series with Shaggy in the red shirt.
and also Scrappy Doo, but for some reason the classic series seemed like garbage to me.
>>
>>143374020
Imagine being a zoomer faggot like you, no opinion of his own on anything so he just repeats someone else's opinion. How do you even live?
>>
>>143374018
Yes, anon, as a dumb kid, who could be entertained by literally everything. But normal Scooby Doo does hold up now, and Crappy Doo doesn't. Claiming that Scrappy did the job is like claiming, that kids should be left with smartphones because random advertisements will keep them busy.
>>
>>143374038
>But normal Scooby Doo does hold up now
No it doesnt. Guess Who is proof of that. They have to make it controversial like "Velma" to get an audience. Not even coombait saved it.
>>
>>143374036
Completely deluded
>>
>>143373988
>nobody outside of kids liked Scooby Doo before Zombie Island
fixed
>>
>>143374057
Guess Who is not an original Scooby Doo, i'm talking about original seasons.
>>
>>143372274
No. He was hated because outside of 13 Ghosts and the early stuff his shows were written horrendously.
>>
>>143374072
Nah thats you.
>>
I really want a modern Scooby Doo series to try to modernize Scrappy beyond a joke. The closest we've gotten is Scooby Doo Apocalypse.
>>
>>143372274
I'd fuck brown Velma.
>>
how did they convince the executives to renew this show
>>
>>143374078
Guess who aside from the coombait was the same as the original seasons. Their goal in mind when they made the show was to "go back to its roots" in which they did. It has the same safe and boring jokes as the original with Scooby and Shaggy doing most of the work and the same formula for the mystery.
>>
>>143374109
That just means, that GW had TRIED AND FAILED to replicate original Scooby Doo.
>>
>>143372600
Jar-Jar still has the unfortunate trait of being a very blatant racial stereotype (along with about half the characters in the Prequels) that makes him a bad character even outside of the bad comedy
>>
>>143374124
Err, no. Blatant racial stereotypes are funny. Jar-Jar himself is just a "comical nigga".
>>
>>143374119
No, Guess Who failed BECAUSE they replicated the original scooby doo.
>>
>>143374133
Original Scooby Doo is liked and have its audience. GW is not. Which means GW failed to replicate it.
>>
>>143374141
>Original Scooby Doo is liked and have its audience.
Only Scooby and Shaggy did, that why the other three were replaced on and off over the years. Guess who might have a chance if there were new members but because they replicated the original perfectly, they failed.
>>
>>143374159
Original Scooby Doo seasons are liked. With original cast. Which means all five. Granted, other three characters were not liked AS MUCH as Scooby and Shaggy characters, but are liked nevertheless.
>>
>>143374173
>Original Scooby Doo seasons are liked. With original cast. Which means all five.
Only Scooby and Shaggy, the rest are expandable thats why they were replaced in the first place.
>>
>>143374192
They were replaced after Crappy Doo failure as an attempt to bring some other innovations to bring public back. And that had failed too. Basically, almost every decision, that had led to original team changes had failed. Original team were created with the balance in mind. Later changes haven't took that into account.
>>
Fuck this, imma go get drunk and jerk off to Fenneko
>>
People forget Yabba Doo exists
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gkYdEdP9kkw&pp=ygUVU2NyYXBweSBhbmQgeWFiYmEgZG9v
Scrappy saddled with him later. Would Scrappy be hated less if he was on that show instead of Scooby?
>>
>>143372651
>the worst Scooby relative is Scooby-Dum
Nah, he was Scrappy done right. He was retarded in a funny way and didn't cause random shit half-intentionally, only on behalf of him being slow.
>>
>>143374209
They were replaced because they were a waste of money to make when they realize most people watch the show for Scooby, Shaggy and Scrappy. The latter saved the show.
>>
>>143374285
>most people watch the show for Scooby, Shaggy and Scrappy
>Scrappy
All right, NOW you have confessed in your insincerity.
>>
>>143374318
Huh?
>>
>>143372539
>Scrappy exposes the limitations of the Scooby Doo formula from his whole schtick of wanting to beat the monster's ass and presenting a "Why didn't they ride the eagles to Mordor?" question that still looms over vanilla versions of the franchise.
>If the monsters are always old fucks in Halloween costumes running real estate scams and counterfeiting operations, why don't they just trap and unmask them from the start?
which is probably why from What's New onward you more and more saw the monsters in a given episode end up being a lot more sophisticated in the technology used for them(indeed a lot of them ending up being either robots or essentially bargain bin power armor) and more blatantly dangerous in nature, as a way for the franchise to respond to the "why don't they just dogpile and beat the shit out of the villains if they're just guys in masks 99% of the time" question without having to directly acknowledge it
>>
>>143374415
It is to be understood, that What's New contains a number of self-satire towards the franchise like Velma being upstaged once by other science girl and another time by Shaggy (taking his role fir a while like gulping pizza shot from baseball machine), entire set being just a VR with unsolved Zombies being just kids with phones etc.
>>
>>143373903
Daphne was the weak link pre Zombie Island
>>
This scrappy faggot is worse than sharktale fag and arthur fag combined
>>
>>143374465
Almost everyone else had a role in the group, Daphne was ‘danger prone’ with implied bad luck (a trait modern writers ignore to make her more and more competent). If Daphne was more unlucky in modern Scooby and really played that up I’d probably like her more personally but she’s just always so boring.
>>
>>143374472
rent free
>>
>>143374277
shit taste
>>
>>143374277
Scooby-Dum is boring and got memoryholed forever. I'd rather have the annoying "puppy power" meme, if only because I feel he can be salvaged.
>>
File: F0AQQ_qaMAAzhQm.png (1.66 MB, 900x900)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
>>143374523
>Either be kidnapping bait or the "normal" one due to the damsel in distress trope getting snarked to death outside Mario and Zelda
Such is life
>>
>>143374571
Best character in Mystery Incorporated is Kronk. Prove me wronk.
>>
>>143374552
If you think about it, even those who hate this character remember him.
to the point that in the first live-action movie he appears and none of Scooby's family.
>>
>>143374598
First live action movie is a parody even harder, than What's New. And Scrappy gets shat upon, quite deserving.
>>
>>143372539
If they're all scammers then why don't the gang just phone in a tp to the IRS?
>>
>>143372274
Scrappy pushback came about because gimmicks like that were frowned upon (for good reason), and also the movie was a parody of the whole scooby doo concept. Even the plot of people being controlled is a joke in itself. The movie could have been better directed or better yet, been a little SNL joke. I never saw any reason for it to be a 90 minute cinematic movie. After the Brady Bunch Hollywood went crazy with these parodies.
>>
>>143374159
>that why the other three were replaced on and off over the years.
They keep coming back, because while they're not AS popular as Shaggy and Scooby, it turns out people like the overall dynamic of Scoob + Shag + the rest more than they like S&S by themselves.
>>
>>143373742
i would marry, fuck, and impregnate that autistic muppet
Her consent is not mandatory
>>
>>143374933
Scrappy is pretty harmless compared to Cousin Oliver, Orbitty, The Great Gazoo, and Dil Pickles pre-AGU
>>
>>143374973
Gazoo was parodied in the Flintstones flick. It's just that the movie was a boneheaded attempt to parody an IP while still making it cool for younger kids. They were trying to appeal to the Boomer, Gen X and early Millenial crowd. It could have been better as an SNL skit.
>>
>>143372539
Those old fucks in halloween costumes have a habit of smashing shit up with sledgehammers and carting off daphne with one hand. Some of those dudes were legitimately dangerous.
>>
File: Feels.jpg (94 KB, 400x400)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>143372274
>Scrappy Doo was hated not for his catchphrase or design or anything.
No I definitely hated him because of his catchphrase and the design making him a little Napoleon-complexed dude who kept wanting to fight ghosts all the time. He was also presented as an annoyance to Scooby which naturally made me take Scooby's side and find him even more annoying.
>>
>>143372600
Jar Jar was hated by Star Wars fans from the very start. The Phantom Menace was a massive disappointment for people who'd been dreaming of new Star Wars movies for decades and Jar Jar was the easiest part to point out as shit. Only little kids who had no connection to Star Wars were okay with him. People defending him and the movie are the ones committing revisionism and trying to make up the idea that everyone just jumped on the internet bandwagon because of some youtubers.
https://youtu.be/s71YZanMBIM?t=2
>>
>>143372539
>>143375288
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOq2kCXuTyI
>>
>>143372795
Not to mention. The costumes in scooby weren't simply Halloween costumes. They typically had dangerous functions, access to illusions or increased the users strength.
>>
File: Cutie.png (56 KB, 176x176)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>143375471
>Daphne's voice
That got an audible chuckle out of me.
>>
File: 1695441583684700.png (204 KB, 417x358)
204 KB
204 KB PNG
>>143373803
Why is Fred looking at Daphne like that?
>>
>>143374465
>>143374523
Daphne was the one who cut the checks.
>>
>>143372274
Nobody fucking hated him in the first place. This idea that he was some hated figure just because Gunn didn't like him is BS.
>>
>>143375628
Kill yourself.
>>
>>143375636
Cope tardo
>>
>>143375580
He caught her staring at Scooby's balls
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (19 KB, 413x395)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>143372274
>The show has Scrappy, but no Scooby
>Scrappy is more likable than any member of the main cast by a mile, by doing absolutely nothing

Imagine being the fucking retard who gave Mindy Kaling a job right now. I'd fucking kill myself.
>>
>>143372274
Actually Scrappy was indeed hated on for being annoying.
No matter what people think of the show the idea of Scrappy being the villain due to be hated on is genius and they should have expanded on the idea more instead of romantic comedy BS.
>>
>>143372539
>If the monsters are always old fucks in Halloween costumes running real estate scams and counterfeiting operations, why don't they just trap and unmask them from the start?
Because they need plausible deniability for self defence so the cops don't arrest them for vigilantism.
>>
>>143375875
>the idea of Scrappy being the villain due to be hated on is genius
It was moderately amusing 20 years ago in that James Gunn movie. It didn't work at all in Velma because nobody gave a shit.
>>
>>143372539
>Why didn't they ride the eagles to Mordor
Stopped reading right there. This is such a fucking illiterate midwit "gotcha" and I'm fucking tired of seeing it.
>>
File: jack.gif (3.36 MB, 384x292)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB GIF
>scrappy is the best character in velma show because he fucking kills velma
All of you apologise to my boy right fucking now. He dindu nuffin wrong. He a good boi.
>>
>>143375636
Seethe faggot.
>>
>>143376065
>in that James Gunn movie.
I have never before seen anyone refer to the movie in this way. Gunn is not only living rent free in your head, he's also digging out a basement that he's going to sublet.
>>
>>143372600
It absolutely is. It's an interesting example of groups telling people what to think actually warping the reception of a character.
>>
>>143376263
What the hell are you talking about? I like James Gunn. I called it 'the James Gunn movie' because he wrote it. How thin is your skin?
>>
File: gremla.png (462 KB, 492x463)
462 KB
462 KB PNG
I love Gremlin Velma
>>
>>143375732
How is the Scrappy in this series anyway? Is it at least a fun spin on him being a villain?
>>
>>143374953
Okay, jcm2
>>
>>143372274
When I was a kid I remember disliking the trope of new kid character overshadowing or replacing the main cast/characters so that's why I disliked Scrappy. Felt similar about Chibi-Usa in Sailor Moon and Gohan in Dragon Ball
>>
>>143376437
He's a crazy government super soldier project voiced by Jason Mantzoukas. Not very funny or clever and I like Mantzoukas. Uncle Scoobi was the government agent who created him.
>>
>>143375875
>Scrappy being the villain due to be hated on
That doesn't even work in this show because Scrappy was never a part of the team, and the "team" didn't even exist until a week ago in-universe.
>>
The ending of the first Scooby Doo live action movie was so bizarre to me as a little child
>"Uh? Why is Scrappy evil now? Why does he act completely different from the cartoon?"
>>
>>143376472
>He's a crazy government super soldier project
I'll at least give them credit that it is an out there idea. Villain is nothing new, but super soldier is something. A twist on that Puppy Power ready to rumble attitude he used to have.
>>
File: 1698605625436509.jpg (76 KB, 1032x775)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>143376486
Same, I never understood the hatred for Scrappy back then, I was so used to seeing him that I treated him as just another member of the Scooby gang.
>>
Scrappyfags still can't debunk this
https://youtu.be/-h8JluYWNHQ?feature=shared
>>
>>143376065
I care.
>>143376476
Actually it does work as he's been hated on by the people who created him who in this case are partially stand ins for WB themselves.
>>
>>143376569
He has the right to be angry.
>>
>>143376569
government psyop brainwashing
>>
>>143376583
Imagine missing the obvious joke that none of the characters like him lmao
>>
>>143376569
>all of those characters and IPs are dead
This aged like sour milk.
>>
>>143376569
>2002
>Same year as that Live action movie came out.
Its literaly the period where "Scrappy sucks and we hate him" jokes WB started doing.
>>
>>143376569
Why was Scrappy passed out on the street?
>>
File: GMCJopVW4AAqbym.jpg (185 KB, 1146x480)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>143372274
Scrappy Doo... was a hero. I just couldn't see it.
>>
>>143372829
>>143373977
Gen Xers love to say shit as if their sphere of discussion wasn't just their neighborhood and some kids they used to play doctor with in the treehouse after-school
We know ratings got better with Scrappy. This is verified fact. YOU might've not liked Scrappy, the other kids you knew may have not liked him, but clearly enough people did. I don't listen to Taylor Swift, but I'm not going to pretend no one likes her because there's verifiable fact that she is popular.
>>
>>143376182
>>
>>143376671
I seem to remember them doing similar jokes a few years before with scrappy, too
>>
>>143376622
No that part is obvious.
Just pointing out that he has the right to be angry.
>>
>>143376647
Well yeah no shit they weren't going to last. That doesn't change anything about the actual bumper.
>>
>>143374472
What's an arthurfag
>>
>>143372600
It is. Kids DID like JarJar and Lucas was right. The manchildren who treat star wars as more than just a space action flick series hated him.
>>
>>143372274
Velma is just an animated version of those shit James Gunn movies. Some of the stuff from the original draft of the first movie is repurposed for the show and I'm tired of pretending those movies werent dogshit, cynical, edgy bullshit. Gen X is obsessed with adding in their schoolyard headcanons into actual content for these decrepit franchises.
>LOL SHAGGY IS LE STONER BECAUSE HE IS HUNGRY
>VELMA LOOKS LIKE A LESBIAN

Nobody took these as more than jokes besides the Gen X kids who grew up with the franchise and now they're saying things like that were always the case.
>>
>>143372274
This is true, but it wasn’t helped by the fact he was irritating and just kind of boring. With Fred, Daphne, and Velma their whole thing was that they had different personalities and approaches to problems. Replacing them with a single one-note annoying character is what people didn’t like, it made the stories boring
>>
>>143374092
A lot of shows, at least on streaming, get 2 seasons right off the bat in a contract, and the executives only see the numbers so the amount of people talking/hate-watching it justified continuing with the second season.
That and entertainment execs/companies are a special kind of retarded.
>>
>>143376805
I can't help but wonder what went through Mindy's head when she and her fellow team reached that decision for the finale.

Did she expected people to side with Scrappy?
Did she think Scooby fandom would hate Scrappy more than they hate her?
>>
>>143377191
>can't help but wonder what went through Mindy's head when she and her fellow team reached that decision for the finale.

Nothing except the sound of wind whistling from one ear to the other. Or elevator music, perhaps. Radio static, maybe?
>>
>>143377411
No wait. The sound of a dialup modem. Yeah, that was probably it.
>>
>>143376182
>>143376805
Congrats you're a retard
>>
File: file.png (1.45 MB, 1184x859)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>Scrappy is depicted as a buff shortstack
>>
>>143372539
>If the monsters are always old fucks in Halloween costumes
But what if the one time they try to just beat up the monster they're hunting it turns out to be a real monster? No one should be taking the chance that the volt monster is actually a weak squishy old man inside
>>
>>143374023
Of course you didn't like the original series if you had two braincells to rub together. Same formula every single episode, shit was gay after enough viewings. The movies were a breath of fresh air because they contrasted the original series.
>>
>>143374552
Scooby Dum didn't get memory holed as much as he was literally only ever in 4 episodes of the entire franchise. Yabba Doo had more appearances than he did and NO ONE remembers him.
>>
>>143372651
>but Scrappy only barely improved during the Red Shirt Shaggy movies

That's because those movies actually had to have a serious ongoing narrative and they needed a straightman/Fred, something Shaggy and Scooby couldn't carry without sacrificing them as the actual humor of the movies.

I never liked Scrappy as a kid though, I just thought he was annoying.
>>
He's supposed to be a child yet his voice is deeper than shaggy's, fucking disgusting
>>
File: 1709877319072107.png (10 KB, 137x113)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>143373903
>Nobody like the original,
>Was such a hit for Hanna-Barbera that they created half their library of Scooby Doo clones.
>>
>>143372376
>a widespread rejection of 70s style content.
This is not a bad thing btw, I legit cannot think of a decent thing that came from that era of animation (least from a western perspective)
>>
>>143378374
Didn't Scrappy have two voices?
>>
>>143374465
Bait is necessary.
>>
>>143374933
>Scrappy pushback came about because of the movie (editor's note: the movie came out in 2002)
Found the toddler trying to talk like he was there.
>>
>>143375315
Had he been a new addition to the group he wouldn't have been spouting that catchphrase as often (because he would have been sharing airtime). Doubtless some people would hate him either way, but what we got was his schtick replacing 60% of the established cast.
>>
I thought scooby wasn't even in this show
why would scrappy be?
>>
>>143378961
I didn't like Scooby Dum so there's no reason to think I'd suddenly like Scrappy just because the rest of the gang was there. Face it, he's just a small yappy dog and no one likes those, people DO like big and sweet but goofy dogs like Scooby. It's obvious why one is lovable and the other disliked.

I bet people who genuinely like him are also the types to buy a tiny dog and then not train it at all, so everyone else can be annoyed at it freaking out and barking at strange dogs or people walking by, because it's just so cute that it thinks it can take on the German Shepard!
>>
>>143379049
to elaborate on the project scoobi storyline
>>
>>143375628
Watching Scooby Doo as a kid I always turned the Scrappy episodes off. Scooby was never my favorite show, but it was watchable except for the Scrappy eps. I didn't need anyone to tell me that having a one-note new character take over the show was a bad thing.
>>
>>143372274
Velma wasn't made for scooby doo fans though. I really don't know who it was made for. Mindy kaling I guess.
>>
>>143376798
Scooby had been doing the same thing for years, Scrappy bumped the ratings because he was something new.
But he didn't bump them to where they had been.
Scooby was huge once, then kept going and people wandered away. Scrappy brought in some viewers, while leaving room for many people who liked the original dynamic to go "ew, wtf did they do to the show?"
>>
>>143377864
There WAS that time that "the crazy robot ghost" turned out to be a real goddamn robot with superstrength.
Could've had their necks get snapped if they'd tried to fight it expecting an old man in a costume.
They were right to always use traps.
>>
>>143379054
I didn't say you would have LIKED him, just that the hate he got (or at least the degree of it) is tied up with him replacing most of the cast and changing the whole format.
I didn't like Scooby Dum either, but I've never seen anyone hate him as much as Scrappy. Because he didn't take over the show.
>>
>>143376578
??? How does it work? Like the other anon said, he was never a character on the team who would have resentment here for the others in this show.

They already did exactly this joke 20 years ago. I also don’t hear much Scrappy hate these days versus when the Scooby live action movie released probably strictly because way more people today are familiar with the Scooby Doo Franchise from one of the more recent Scooby Doo shows or movies that didn’t have Scrappy Doo in them. The joke has already been done decades ago and it’s outdated now. The movie did it at the right time for that joke.
>>
>>143377864
There's a game where Fred points out that Shaggy and Scooby know the ghost is probably gonna turn out to be just some guy in a costume
Shaggy answers that someone who dresses as a ghost to scare people is not really someone you want to be around
>>
I sometimes feel like I was the only one who fucking hated practically anything related to Scooby-Doo growing up. If that shit was on, I'd change the channel, or begrudgingly leave it on to wait for Ed Edd n Eddy or DBZ or whatever was on after it.
As someone who has no skin in the 'integrity of Scooby Doo' game? Scrappy was a fucking annoying little shit who added nothing to the show. Maybe kids liked that that of thing back when Scooby was a new thing, but by the 90's? Fuck no. I can understand the charm to the core 5 man cast even as someone who doesn't like Scooby Doo. Scrappy though? I think anyone defending that character has a screw loose somewhere and it's a weird hill to die on.
>>
File: Scrappy_Out_for_Blood.png (1.38 MB, 1920x1080)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>143372274
>Villainous Scrappy is back
>now he's gory
This almost makes me wanna watch Velma. Almost.
>>
>>143372376
>and a widespread rejection of 70s style content.
You mean 80s style content. Scrappy only debuted in 1979 and the show didn't properly deviate 'til a year later.
>>
File: scrappy.png (493 KB, 831x615)
493 KB
493 KB PNG
>>143372376
The fact that Scrappy didn't even show up in the new 13 Ghost movie when they had fucking Flim-Flam was the gayest shit ever. Hate that modern Scooby Doo writers are still running on that "we all hate le Scrappy, right fellow Scooby fans?"
>>
>>143374895
I have the sneaking suspicion Mystery Inc. are professional insurance fraud investigators.
>>
>>143372858
The Scooby-Doo Show wasn't gimmicky like the guest stars, it was honest to goodness continuation, and it lasted a whole 40 episodes (the last which make up that fake third season of Where Are You you mentioned).
>>
>>143380147
No Scrappy was bad enough
But no Bogel and Weerd either is like a Pokemon reunion without Team Rocket
Oh, but with them around Velma wouldn't have been able to be the Epic Reddit Atheist
>>
>>143376522
It's literally copy-pasted from Scooby Apocalypse.
>>
>>143379827
>but I've never seen anyone hate him as much as Scrappy
That's because even though he's got a dumb gimmick it's not as annoying as a little shit who wants to fight everything. Dumb detective dog may not be a funny gimmick but it's not actively annoying like Scrappy's gimmick.
>>
>>143379877
>>143377864
Scaring people isn't even really against any laws, yet the cops always show up promptly to cuff and arrest the guys for having a costume on. Stands to reason there's been "mysterious disappearances" as well, of people who weren't spooked. That's why the cops are so quick to show up to arrest someone. Old man Carruthers isn't innocent!
>>
File: 20240427_175533.gif (975 KB, 338x258)
975 KB
975 KB GIF
>>143380147
>>
>>143372274
ngl this is more of a "lesser of two evils" situation

if they really wanted to redeem scrappy they would've portrayed him in a much more positive light
>>
>>143380667
Whatever, he still killed VINO.
>>
>>143379962
Scrappy was already gone by the 90s, he was only in the show for six years from 1979 to 1985 plus a few direct to tv movies. While he was obnoxious for older fans in the earlier years, I'd say he mellowed out a lot later on. I think the reason younger fans apparently liked him in the earlier years was a literally me thing
>>
>>143376142
It's just a term anon, don't be an autistic fuck about. If anything for yourself, nobody other than me, a rando that felt bad for you, actually paid attention to you or acknowledged that you stopped reading before the point was made.

Further, the Eagles to mordor comes mainly from the fact that the movies trimmed stuff from the book, it's hardly anybody's fault that one type of media is more well consumed than the other and, further, much more recent (if old by now, significantly less than the books)
>>
Kids watched the show for Shaggy and Scooby. They didn't give a rat's ass about the others. That's why it was just those two for the longest. They added Daphne back in for the female rep since Velma wasn't hot enough to suffice.
>>
>>143382362
Even as a little kid I liked Velma and Fred. Dunno why. Maybe because they were "adults" (to a kid) that weren't total jokes like Shaggy, but still were kinda dorky in a way I liked.
Never cared for Daphne though.
>>
>>143372274
>and because the stories changed into strange shorts with Shaggy and Scooby meeting real monsters.
>What fans REALLY resented was that the show lost the dynamic that fans actually liked.
Scooby doo always sucked because the monsters were fake and the only good scooby media is the ones with real monsters
>>
>>143382620
>I hate the whole show
So go post in a thread about a show you like.
>>
>>143380495
Was it? I never really got around to reading that. If so then it looks like my moderate praise is misdirected.
>>
>>143372572
Honestly? I never understood any sort of hate for any sort of character. Even Jarjar, Gazoo and Barney. My reaction is "oh."
They've never annoyed me. One of my best friends growing up, however, always had a major psychotic fucking hatred of things, especially Gary from Pokemon but several other things, too.
He says the fact that these sorts of things don't upset me at all (never mind to the point where he's literally yelling at the TV, telling Gary to kill himself and calling him a faggot) shows that I have no soul. I say it's just because I'm well adjusted.
>>
>>143372376
Liar
>>
>>143374472
This
>>
>>143380492
They could rehabilitate Flim-Flam, they could easily do Scrappy. But yeah, no Bogel and Weerd was even shittier, it's too half-assed to be considered an actual ending for 13 Ghosts
>>
>>143383140
I'm sorry but you're autistic.
>>
>>143383381
Hardly.
>>
>>143383381
If anything, the autistic one is his friend
>>
>>143375580
On the prowl for Red Herring
>>
>>143372683
>All I know is that most of the episodes I watched didn't have Scrappy, and then when he showed up randomly unannounced I didn't like him.
This.
>>143372858
>the Scooby-Dum run
wtf were they thinking?
>>143373742
kek
>>
>>143373947
>dog nipples
What's the point of being gross, especially when each detail you include is exponentially more work for the animators?
>>
>>143372858
>gimmikcy guest star episodes
Some where fun
Like the Laurel and Hardy one
>>
>>143373787
They were 100% living together, right?
>>
>>143379861
Well like i said it works due to the people who created Scrappy in the show is a stand in for WB to an extent.
Also it's not really taken as a joke in the show.
>>
>>143384825
Pretty sure those two were sharing a room in an episode
>>
>>143380147
Scrappy has a couple archetypes his character can move towards to be interesting. In Charlie Chan (the black and white detectives show), there was the annoying but energetically cutesy young kid that was his son or nephew or something that sometimes solves the mystery though hijinks. That's what Scrappy's character essentially is. The writers should return to that, or try to be heckin' subvert expectations and make him a cynical young edgy zoomer that is a straight man like Velma to spite the fandom in a healthier way.
>>
>>143374973
Oliver was just kicking a downed dog.
>>
>>143374092
It's one production season released in 2 parts. Studios do this to avoid giving the crewmembers an increase in pay for a true 2nd season
>>
>>143376569
Dexter's Mom's butt!
>>
>>143372274
What can Scrappy Doo for the gang?
>>
>>143378937
>Gazoo
No, I meant that Scrappy was already hated by writers and fans. Normie's opinion doesn't count and they probably memoryholed that plot point
>>
>>143384922
I never thought the trope was that old. For scrappy to work I think he could be himself
>>
>>143384922
I'd argue that Scrappy's comedic strength is that he thinks his Uncle Scooby is a big hero and keeps saying shit like "My Uncle Scooby is going to beat you up!"
Scooby does NOT want this kid writing checks with his mouth that Scooby's body can't cash... but he also doesn't want to shatter the kid's hero worship by admitting he's a coward.
You can get milage out of that.
>>
This thread is two Scrappy defenders and three scrappy haters yelling at each other between a sea of one off opinions.
>>
What if we made Scrappy... a girl?
>>
>>143380147
you can like scrappy that's fine but don't go overboard act like the majority don't like scrappy and be a contrarian faggot about it
>>
>>143381043
to me it always made perfect sense even in the movies. think of it from the perspective of the eagles "hey can you fly this random guy to the Evil City with the corrupting mcguffin that would let the Evil Lord conquer the world?"
who the fuck would say yes? there's a reason they only appear at the end, they realized "oh shit this is actually working" and after sauron dies they help
>>
>>143372274
>He was hated
Kids loved him and he revitalized audience interest in the show for 10 years.
>>
>>143373947
>haha you hate scrappy too right?
they lazily copied the 2002 movie. had they been smart scrappy would've been a red herring, but this show isn't smart
>>
>>143375608
Actually, canonically it's Shaggy. Daphne is reasonably wealthy but Shaggy's family are old money and just absolutely fucking loaded to a stupid degree. They're old Southern Gentry who still apparently have a fuckload of money, diamond moguls, and so on while Daphne's family seem to be nouveau rich comparatively.
>>
>>143372376
No, the Scrappy cartoons just suck quality wise. Hated them then, hate them now.
>>
>>143372274
I ain't reading that but Fred in the velma show is great. That's my input.
>>
>>143383381
If you identify with the guy getting angry at cartoon characters to the point of yelling at the tv then you're the autistic one, anon.
>>
>>143390835
>Like, the South will rise again, man
>>
>>143390835
>>143391513
>that part in Zombie Island where the confederate ghost salutes Shaggy
>Boo Brothers where he inherits a plantation that's got secret tunnels with confederate weapons stashed in them and ends up giving it to the Boo Brothers just to be rid of it
>yfw the reason he became a hippy bumming around in a car and taking the name Shaggy instead of Norville is because he's ashamed of the fact that his family's money 100% came from slavery up until the very end and Norville is a family name
It makes total sense why he wouldn't flaunt his money like Daphne does and only call up his parents if they're in a real dire situation, she isn't ashamed of her family's money like he is with his family's history. Once his parents die he'll probably end up donating all of it to a black culinary school.
>>
>Velma made Scrappy bad so now we have to pretend he's a good character
YOU'RE JUST HELPING THEM HURT YOU
>>
>>143372274
>the stories changed into strange shorts with Shaggy and Scooby meeting real monsters
but that's a good thing.
the worst part about Scooby Doo is how it's ALWAYS SOME DUDE IN A MASK
>>
Oh shit Velma dropped? Gotta catch up.
>>
Are we supposed to like BrownMa because she kills Scrappy? If anything Scrappy killing her is based.
>>
>>143390835
>>143391579
>Shaggy is rich, but wants to make his own way
>Is also an track athlete and probably shredded
It's no wonder Dahpne picked him over Fred.
>>
>>143374523
Daphne got better once Fred and Velma aren't around. She's able to take more of a leader role, but can still join the hijinks and jokes with Shaggy and Scooby. Making her more of a leader, and Fred into something more of the practical thinker to Velma's book smarts and you've got a good place for everyone.
>>
What’s New Scooby Doo was the best series that had the standard Scooby formula, and had the best theme song.
>>
>>143392432
>and had the best theme song
Almost correct. Best is from "New Scooby Doo Mysteries".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q10wrw-96QA
>best series that had the standard Scooby formula
Except original series. Too much self-irony in What's New to be the best. But second best - yes, could be.
>>
>>143392642
To me it was like, the perfect amount of self irony. Just a little bit but not a lot
>>
Another thing to notice is that they have had met supernatural stuff before Scrappy was there, I remember in the original run, Shaggy using a book of black magic (And succeeding) at turning himself into a monster before transforming himself back (Both times by accident, as he didn't even notice.)
>>
>>143392704
Nah, it is a goid amount for the series. It is that this irony doesn't work without original series, hence What's New can't be the best. But, again, within itself it had been really good.
>>
>>143392642
why do literally all of the singers sound like they're half-heartedly singing because their mom told them to? Not a single voice carried any conviction.
>>
>>143392642
I’m sorry but that theme song kinda sucks ass. The original Scooby theme is miles better.
>>
File: Ebeneezer.png (667 KB, 775x547)
667 KB
667 KB PNG
>>143392773
We had that and the one with Montezuma taped on VHS that I watched all the time as a kid, those two episodes was basically the only Scooby media I saw with any regularity until Zombie Island came out, and this fucker gave me a strong fear of monsters hanging on to the car whenever we drove anywhere after dark. Which was quite often because my parents liked taking drives in the countryside to relax in the evening, or had to pick up my older siblings. I just imagined vampires or demons hanging on and you were safe as long as you kept driving, but then once you step out of the car they'd rip your head off or drag you under the car.
>>
>>143392816
>>143392788
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OxeOeUlC4I
>>
>>143372376
No, kid. You don't know what you're talking about. I hated scrappy as a kid in the 80s, and so did everyone I knew. I know a woman with the scooby cast tattooed around her calf, and scrappy is X'd out. They retooled the show every two years after he debuted and started running reruns without him almost immediately.
>>143372274
Everything about him was hated. He's fucking annoying. He announces himself, talks about himself and brags constantly.
>>
I'm watching the circus clown episode and my god I can't stop giggling at how Daphne looks like a blow up doll of herself in the interior Mystery Machine art
>>
>>143372274
No one cares about this dogshit show anywas
>>
>>143392870
I forgot about that bastard.
But that's just another point, Supernatural was already a thing in Scooby Doo, the villains were dangerous, old men or not (Black Knight, in the first episode, threw a table that had Scooby and Shaggy holding onto it, and it broke a wall), a lot of criticism about Scrappy is well, because he replaced Daphne/Velma/Fred, which to be honest, I can see from a executive standpoint, they weren't exactly the most interesting people until more recent versions (MI, What's New Scooby Doo, etc), they were just there to solve the case, while the kids liked Shaggy and Scooby more because they were goofy and got onto all the hijinks.

Although I did like the series with more supernatural stuff, and with that said I'm so fucking annoyed that nowadays, all the movies have this "Acktually, it's not supernatural", to the point where they even fucked it up older series like 13 Ghosts and Zombie Island.
>>
>>143393022
Even if he didn't talk about himself and brag his basic design would still be annoying as fuck, because small dogs that want to fight bigger things are by far the most annoying dogs in existence. No one really likes them except their shithead owners, even if you usually love dogs.
>>
>>143387789
Sort of like Sylvester from Looney Tunes when he has that kid
I liked the dynamic in theory but 90% of the cartoons with the two of them were Hippety Hopper shit so the dynamic also got tedious by proxy
>>
>>143372274
I like this velma
>>
File: rare Velma.png (539 KB, 640x480)
539 KB
539 KB PNG
Posting some rare Velma itt.
>>
File: rare velma 2.png (445 KB, 640x480)
445 KB
445 KB PNG
>>143394999
>>
>>143395015
>>
>>143394999
Do they solve mysteries?
>>
>>143395032
>>143395015
>>143394999
Monica ≠ Velma
>>143395306
No. Dinky (the dog) breaks something, the dad/uncle/whoever bitches about it then the thing gets fixed. The end. And the blonde is allergic to work.
>>
>>143390051
We've gone from "he generated a ratings bump for a flagging show" (plausible) to "he was an adored cultural icon" (get the fuck out of here).
>>
>>143394999
>>143395015
>>143395032
You just know
>>
>>143395414
Sandy's face look strange.
>>
>>143372274
Wait, are you saying Scrappy gotr in the show but not Scooby?
>>
>>143372274
Fred, Daphne and Velma don't have as much to offer as Shaggy.
Velma may have her fans, but I highly doubt anyone was clamoring for Fred and Daphne at this point for more screentime.
Fred's fandom didn't start until the 2010s with MI and no one likes Daphne outside of porn addicts and annoying gay people.
>>
To verify, are Daphne’s gay moms the other two Hex Girls?
>>
>>143395940
Daphne is cool because she doesn’t have a go-to perfect characterization. Recent Doo projects have been able to go outside the box with her.
>>
>>143395802
>Sandy
Yeah, that was her name. Couldn't remember.
>>
>>143396217
Be Cool Daphne best Daphne. Prior to that, her personality was "and I'm the girl one!" Velma is not a girl.
>>
The message here is that the next Scooby revival should have Scrappy as a hero, who's seen as a liability at first, but proves to be a worthwhile ally.
>>
>>143396309
She’s had more variations over the years than that. She was more active in 13 Ghosts, image obsessed and “extra” in A Pup, career driven and skeptical in Zombie Island, action girl driven by an inferiority complex in Gunn’s 2002 live action, etc.
She’s not without character she’s just the least stuck to one thing.
>>
>>143396359
I should have been more clear: I meant specifically when the whole adult gang is involved. You're otherwise very much correct but whenever Fred and Velma are part of the crew, she's just the girl one.
As for Zombie Island and LA versions, I never did watch ZI all the way nor any LA Scooby stuff. I'll have to take your word for it.
>>
I’m a huge Doohead. My favorite thing about the franchise is how flexible it is, how much fertile ground there is to mix different components around and create something with its own identity that still feels like “Scooby-Doo”. This doesn’t always succeed, but that’s the kind of franchise it is.
Velma has some merit underneath all the suck, but unfortunately I think it was one of the few Scooby entries that pushed the boundaries enough to no longer feel like it belongs. My biggest misgiving with the show is that I’ve always dreamed of a more adult take on Scooby, and this was not the direction I would have wanted that to be. The closest is Zombie Island and Scooby-Natural, somewhere in there.
As a Doohead, Velma wasn’t a comolete waste of time, but I’m ready for whatever happens next. It’s for the best that it went over badly, I think.
>>
>>143396309
>>143396359
I'm just pointing out she doesn't have as much success with someone like Shaggy for obvious reasons.

You're all forgetting that companies' main goal is to make money, and kids loved Scooby so of course he'd be given a mini version of him.
canning Fred and the girls not only saved money from animation and hiring more VAs, it also gave more room for Shaggy and Scooby, aka what made the franchise what it is.
>>
>>143396503
I understand why they did what they did and why the whole gang came back later. I personally don’t like the truncated gang era but I get it.
>>
>>143388903
The problem is they've been doing the same "DAE hate Scrappy?" faggotry for 25 years at this point, get new material
>>
>>143396981
I’m amenable to this. I personally don’t like Scrappy but the joke is old and buried.
>>
>>143395479
Not what I said, autist.
>>
>>143372376
>People hating Scrappy is revisionist history
Exactly my feeling.
I never heard it until after scooby doo live action movie when that pedo jew made him a villain or something, before that i never heard anybody say they hate him.
>>
i honest to god think scrappy would work as a recurring character
not part of the main group, but an episode or two of new iterations
>>
>>143397242
My dude "he revitalized audience interest in the show for 10 years" is a laughable claim.

>>143397792
I'm sorry that you didn't have internet access before 2002. Those of us that did know very well that no, the movie did not start the hate train. A laughable claim. Cartoon Network bumpers that came out a couple years before the movie had gags picking on Scrappy, treating him as a clueless primadonna that couldn't understand that his popularity was a short-lived fad and he was no longer wanted. The 1999 Scooby Doo Project (parodying the Blair Witch Project) had him be something the whole gang ran from in terror (https://youtu.be/FAe5oZpDMgs?si=GDTiKqk3ikRpsH7V&t=623 with a callback joke later in the film along the lines of "it's just Scrappy" "I know, that's why I ran).
Did the movie throw fuel on the fire? Sure, I guess, but it didn't start the fire.
>>
File: scrappy.jpg (52 KB, 750x396)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>Scrappy saved the Scooby Doo franchise
>So he was the reason Hanna Barbera didn't bankrupt
>So he is the reason CN exists and so Steven Universe that ruined western animation
Yeah, I hate Scrappy Doo
>>
>>143372274
Scrappy was just annoying.
It's like escort missions in video games. They're fine sometimes, but sometimes jesus fuck just stop.
>>
>>143399247
Naming a child after their cousin seems lazy.
>>
>>143399702
>T. Named after an anime character by his weeb parents
>>
>>143399780
>Not having a 80s pop culture reference translated to an African language you don't speak as a name.
You need to be born more cursed.
>>
>>143399196

Not only that, one of the Cartoon Network site's earliest Flash games (ca. 2000 at least) was a shooting gallery where you pelted him with garbage.
>>
>>143377601
hell yea
>>
>>143399247
Ah, stoner humor.
It's hard to make the Velma show look better than something, but they pull it off.
>>
>>143380667
That's just it - they didn't want to redeem Scrappy.
>>
>>143380122
Scooby Doo's stories and presentation didn't appreciably change between 1972 and the mid 80s. 13 Ghosts was the first real shift away from the 70s style, and Pup Named Scooby was a straight reboot.
>>
>>143372572
>Scrappy hate started with early internet newsgroups.
This is delusional. I was born in 75 and Scooby Doo wad my favorite show for years. The consensus of everyone I knew was that Scrappy was kind of annoying and the older shows were better.
>>
>>143372376
>>143372572
When I was a kid I didn't mind stuff Scrappy was in. I loved watching the movie where Shaggy turns into a werewolf and the Boo Brothers one. Scrappy was just another character in the series to me and never bothered me.

I always thought it was weird when I got older and found out Scrappy had this weird fan backlash and hate.
>>
>>143374608
>quite deserving.
no
>>
>>143401830
Yes, but that's your opinion. It's not how most people felt.
>>
>>143390835
The Mystery Machine is canonically Shaggy's, and wasn't one of the early implications of the show was that Daphne was Shaggy's girlfriend or cousin or something?
>>
>>143401996
That is how everyone I knew felt. I don't remember a single kid liking Scrappy. The only argument was whether or not A Pup Named Scoobydoo was good or not. I didn't like it, but most of my friends did. Scrappy was universally disliked, and I think it was because he was the kind of character added to a show to pander to the audience while also underestimating the audience. Talking with friends as a teen all my friends also said they remembered hating Scrappy. When both Cartoon Network and the liveaction film shit on Scrappy I'm sure it came from the same place and that gag was aimed right at my generation.
>>
>>143402030
>The Mystery Machine is canonically Shaggy's
That makes absolutely no sense.
>>
>>143402099
>dirty beatnik drives a hippy van
It makes more sense than it being Fred's. Besides, why would Shaggy even be there otherwise? He clearly doesn't like the spooky stuff.
>>
>>143372376
I had the experience of getting to see my son watch Scooby doo in chronological order as a toddler. He liked Scrappy at first, but after a few episodes he came running up to me babbling about how the TV was broken. He was confused and upset because he didn't understand where Fred and Velma went. He didn't give a shit about Daphne. He turned on Scrappy hard, wouldn't episodes with him anymore, and we had to skip forward to What's New Scooby Doo. The Scrappy hate is overblown, but I understand it.
>>
>>143402126
>why would Shaggy even be there otherwise?
They're on a road trip, and he's friends with Fred. Why wouldn't he be there? He also does canonically like spooky stuff, just not being around it in person, and they aren't going on a road trip looking for spooky shit. They just happen to run into it pretty frequently.
>>
>>143372274
What? Didn't he first live action scooby doo already do this joke?
>>
>>143402371
They're high schoolers cruising around their hometown.
>>
>>143402428
yes
>>
>>143379962
I liked the idea of Scooby as a kid.
I liked the gang's look and their car. I loved the monster designs.
But it was just so. Fucking. Dull.
Then I saw a couple of the movies, and the better pacing and budget made me reconsider the series.
But then I remember being just as let down by What's New Scooby Doo, which to it's credit, seemed like a very faithful modernization. But with that came the same lack of energy that made me dislike the reruns of the original when i was even younger.
>>
>>143402485
Something like that happened to me, but unlike you, I loved What's New Scooby Doo.
>>
>>143402485
The best Scooby media are Pup Named Scooby Doo, the late 90s OVAs, and Mystery Incorporated.
>>
>velma s2 creates a bunch of scrappy apologists
you might not be hatewatching but you're still fucking retarded.
>>
>>143399196
>My dude "he revitalized audience interest in the show for 10 years" is a laughable claim.
It's also one you could've verified yourself if you weren't such a lazy cunt:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrappy-Doo#Reception
>>
>>143376798
Popular things can be widely hated. "Everyone hates Twilight", but you'd never know that if all you had were book/ticket/merch sales.
The Velma show is successful too.
>>
>>143372376
I was a kid when Scrappy was introduced. I always fucking hated that little turd.
>>
>>143374218
Based
>>
File: Chubby Cove.png (2.65 MB, 1620x2160)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB PNG
>>143374089
I like her design a lot, and the same goes for Daphne's. I'm just not a fan of Velma's character.
>>
>>143403667
Why does Daphne look like Lois man in this Fanart
>>
>>143403749
You're not the only one who said that. I think I just watch too much Family Guy.
>>
File: file.png (296 KB, 480x360)
296 KB
296 KB PNG
>>143403243
1. Wiki articles can be written by anyone.
2. I'm not able to check the third source the article lists, but the first two don't support the claim that "he revitalized interest in the show for 10 years."
He certainly did revitalize interest, yes, that's indisputable. The show had been all but officially canceled, they put in Scrappy, ratings went up. That's straightforward enough. The new thing got attention and was liked for a while.
But to act like the character Scrappy Doo was what drew people to 13 Ghosts, Ghoul School, and The Boo Brothers"? Get the fuck out of here with that shit, that's not the sort of claim you can back up, and it ignores that for part of the "Scrappy's There" decade the cartoon was demoted to sharing its half-hour with other HB properties (Richie Rich and later Puppy's New Adventures).
>>
>>143372274
No one remembers the old dog or the kid, or hates them as much. Why?
>>
>>143404000
they weren't as annoying, and Flim Flam was Scrappy done right
>>
>>143403749
>>143403766
that headshape throws us off
>>
>>143404307
>Flim Flam was Scrappy done right
Flim Flam was the Wesley Crusher of the show
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>143374571
Youth is thinking you're cool and edgy and smarter than the rest for lusting after Velma. Adulthood is realizing Daphne was the hot fetish chick in sheep's clothing all along.
>>
>>143380492
>Epic Reddit Atheist
I hated every single thing about that movie, but no single part as much I hated Velma's obnoxious fucking contrarian bullshit. She was like Scully dialed up to 11.
>>
>>143405346
I don't care about the fetish shit, I just like redheads in little dresses.
>>
File: 1583246340487.png (424 KB, 720x379)
424 KB
424 KB PNG
I hate this show's actual content so fucking much but as a lifelong scoobhead I'm reluctantly happy that it exists just because when a new season drops , rather than actually discuss Velma, instead it gets people talking about the franchise as a whole for the first time in forever for reasons other than inexplicably shitting on Mystery Inc. for being a lore show.
>>
>>143405346
The fetish side never appealed to me, but I've always preferred Daphne. That said...

>Youth is thinking you're cool and edgy and smarter than the rest for lusting after Velma.
I don't think this is why Velmafags are drawn to her. I think it's because they lack self-confidence. They can't picture themselves making it with a Daphne in real life, so they tell themselves they'll have to be happy with a Velma instead.
>>
>>143406219
Nah. I'm not a Velmafag myself but people always bust out this argument when someone expresses attraction to any character that isn't a 10/10 bimbo bombshell.

The truth of the matter is that outside of the media where she's a reporter adventurer (13 Ghosts, 90s movies, etc.), or like... Be Cool where she's some gonzo schizophrenic, Daphne is extremely boring with no real interests beyond beauty products and other generic "girly" interests. No personality either, or at least nothing that particularly stands out. Velma, meanwhile, is a nerdy science girl often sporting a sarcastic streak and deadpan retorts to the absurd bullshit going on, while also not being notably ugly, just plain, with an outfit that could easily be concealing big tits or ass. I don't think it's particularly hard to see why there's a lot of people who want to fuck her, her archetype has been popular for generations and will continue to be.
>>
>>143404313
Scooby Dum was the Wesley Crusher, Flim Flam was the Lieutenant Hawk
>>
>>143372376
Its the Kevin Smith generation. Just like how up until Clerks released people mostly liked Return of the Jedi more than ESB until Clerks popularized the "Ending on a down note makes it a more mature movie." take.
>>
>>143375580
Because they're Buster and Babs Bunny disguised as humans.
>>
>>143378400
French experimental cartoons on The Great Space Coaster.
Fat Albert
Star Blazers
The tendency to do a sequel season where everyone rockets off to space for some reason.

But yeah, the 70s were a pit between the 60s and the 80s.
>>
>>143373947
They never did give an explanation as to why he bit off all his victims' dicks
>>
>>143407853
he wanted a snax
>>
>>143372376
As far as i know, the 3rd ScoobyGen started with A Pup Named Scooby Doo, but as well received that show was, the follow up was a mediocre Arabian theme movie with a pathethic gender role reverse version of Disney's Aladdin and Magilla Gorilla as Sinbad, with Scoob and Shagg as just co-hosts, but then we got the TMS trilogy (Cyber Chase feels more like a standalone) and that was as peak high point we got, then it went to shit with the Whats New Scooby Doo template and its 20 OVAs (thats what Direct2Video animated films are) released over the next 2 decades, which would be the end of it. Then Mistery Inc started gen 4
>>
remind me again what was Scrappy purpose in the Red Shirt saga movies?
Or what was the purpose of them being Scooby Doo movies?
>>
>>143408376
Scrappy was around the previous series so just stuck around.
Part of 10 movies based on older HB properties. Some of them seem like flipped pitches for cartoons that went through.
>>
>>143408416
>>143408376
They were totally failed spinoff ideas that they tried to recycle in SB movies, the Boo Brothers one was a Three Stooges attempt at a cartoon when HB had the rights to make animated properties on them, but they had nothing of value.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.