[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: WhackySillyCharacters.jpg (259 KB, 1000x1279)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
I personally hate this trope with every fiber of my being. Let serious characters actually be serious and threatening. Having them lose to some goofy, whacky retard devalues them.
>>
>>144196946
>loreshit mad when a cartoon is fun and not brown girl schlop that's only "deep" to 14 year olds and manchildren that haven't watched anything above a PG rating
>>
>>144196946
What about wacky characters ultimately defeating serious characters because the wacky characters refuses to let their optimism be crushed by the serious characters' cynicism?
>>
>>144196983
What does that have to do with the post?
>>
>>144196946
Most characters on the picture aren't even wacky or have been outwackied
>>
>>144196983
personally i enjoy both, doesn't mean i can't be annoyed when i see someone unironically go 'errrm who do you think would win, nolan grayson or nicole watterson???'
>>
>>144196946
Give me 5 examples that aren't Death Battle or a non-canonical game/special

Half the image is also comprised of main characters. No shit they tend to win.
>>
>>144196983
>brown girl schlop that's only "deep" to 14 year olds
The funny thing is that this applies to exactly two shows that both ended years ago and you're *still* seething about them
>>
>popeye
>not serious
>>
>>144196946
There is not a single character in western media that's stronger than him. Try to prove me wrong.
>>
>>144196983
If you're talking about the owl house Hooty is literally this trope
>>
Running down this list:
>Popeye
Comedy
>Skips and Pops
Comedy
>Pink Panther
The world usually shits on him
>Rabbids
Comedy
>Wario
Mario franchise as a whole is a light hearted adventure, a greedy not!mario being strong fits.
>Po
Goofy but knows when to be serious
>Uncle Grandpa
Comedy
>Peppino
Inspired by Wario, light hearted and comedic
>Bugs
Comedy
>Luffy
Goofy most of the time yes, but fuck with his crew or innocent people and holy shit he gets serious. Not to mention, not even the strongest character (yes even with the latest gear form)
Most of these are comedies so "power scaling" is stupid, light hearted or are characters that are light hearted/goofy but know when they need to actually focus and be serious. I don't get this complaint.
>>
>>144196946
The only goofy retard here is (You).
>>
>>144197325
The kankers sisters say hi.
>>
>>144196946
I don't understand why Skips is here. He's more serious than an office worker.

Also, I think Peppino is a bit debatable: he's very expressive but his personality borders on the serious/neurotic type because of the stress Pizzahead puts him under with blowing up his restaurant. Pizza Tower's wacky one is The Noise, and he was defeated by Peppino 2 times. The DLC doesn't count because canonically it's a movie that The Noise made to look cool.
>>
>>144198721
He weakens when he's intimidated or scared. Otherwise he has infinite strength.
Ed lifted an entire house as a baby with easy, not breaking a sweat.
>>
>>144196946
Not really, serious watch dogs are a tier above.
>>
File: 1ef.png (1.68 MB, 680x491)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB PNG
>>144196946
No. Toonlogic chads stay winning.
>>
>>144200611
Based on what?
>>
>>144196946
Can you be serious and not get assravaged when someone makes a hypothetical "who'd win in a fight" conversation?
>>
El Batkek Negro solos them all
>>
File: Tactical Baby armor.png (694 KB, 612x612)
694 KB
694 KB PNG
>>144196946
And extremally Immoral characters are stronger than wacky cartoon characters.
Imagine Bugs Bunny try make someone coming for them with a bazooka that shoots baby orphans, funny.
Also they got moral armor.
>>
>>144196946
watch one piece then, you bum. Luffy lost before.
>>
Why is it always assumed 'funny character logic' supercedes 'serious character logic' in these discussions.
Like, Scooby-Doo had a crossover with Supernatural, and that instead had the Scooby Gang get really hurt rather than cartoon hurt.
>>
>>144201034
so lame
>>
>>144201098
Doesn't that guy get humorously dispatched by a noose being looped around his neck from above?
>>
>>144196946

Didn't Po basically kill Tai Lung by evicting his soul from his body? Dude can be serious when he needs to be.
>>
>>144196993
Bobobo.
>>
>>144201567
wasn't he killed by his more serious brother and needed two different assists just to come back from the dead?
>>
>>144201677
He got killed by serious people and shrugged it off multiple times. It's more of a trend with him than a singular instance.
>>
>>144201734
those instances he's not actually killed and comes back soon after, the instance I'm talking about he was actually killed and couldn't come back without being given a replacement soul and his friends opening a gateway from the afterlife to Earth
>>
>>144201276
It reminds me of all of those Death Battles where Bugs Bunny always beats everybody up. The only reason I think that probably would happen is WB not wanting their mascot beaten up. But if his popularity keeps falling off and Disney buys him or something he would go down to a more popular Star Wars character or whatever if they wanted to in a crossover, it’s not some rule of the universe that silly characters always beat up serious characters.
>>
>>144196983
The fuck is this word salad
>>
>>144200611
why are you shitting on this random asian guy he looks nice :(
>>
File: Cecil_Turtle.png (82 KB, 301x331)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
>>144201898
ENTER
>>
>>144196946
Why does it bother you though?
>>
>>144196946
I like when joke characters have cool moments.
>>
>>144201098
He'd just catch them safely with a comically large baseball glove.
>>
Drunken Master is such an ancient and universal trope. I respect the moral of never underestimating someone
>>
>>144197325
Sandy Cheeks. She knows karate, which in cartoon terms makes her untouchable.
>>
Why is wario there tho

He's pretty serious in the context of his own games and would get his ass kicked by Bowser in Mainline Games
>>
>>144196946
eh
>>
>>144196946
>op is massive fun-hating faggot
many such cases
>>
The true TRUE rule, is that the moment either of the fans gets ass mad, the other cartoon already won
Don't give a fuck, it's about the conversation, if some Death Battle nig starts seething about Popeye, then Goku wins, if the Goku fag is seething instead instead of having fun, then Popeye wins
>>
>>144205290
You like when joke characters have cool moments.
>>
Bump
>>
>>144201276
in that specific situation the villain was an actual ghost rather than a guy in a costume. Which creates a toss up on how the story goes. It could either go ghoul school silly or zombie island serious.

also you get the rule where crossovers follow the rules of the host show.
>>
Uncle Grandpa trumps everyone there's no feat in fiction as impressive as carrying Steven Universe to a good episode

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.