[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 456464664564.png (1.05 MB, 1697x832)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>Re-read Planet Panic on a whim
>Don't remember that being the final line of the comic
>Do a bit of research
>Find out the creator decided Pibbles was non-binary at some point
>Creator secretly changed the comic to reflect that
>Only place to find evidence of the original is on an archive site

I don't think I've ever felt gaslit by a creator until now. Can anyone think of ANY other examples of something like this?
>>
gay garbage western calarts shit
>>
File: file.png (58 KB, 192x205)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>
There are plenty of instances of creators changing characters retroactively, but specifically going back and replacing parts the original work to push those retcons? Can't say I'm aware of any.
>>
>>144311648
I feel like Marvel and DC come to mind, but that would piss people here off.
>>
>>144311740
thread's barren anyway, might as well post 'em if you got 'em
>>
>>144311882
I'm not THAT knowledgeable on capeshit, it's the kind of thing I filter here.
>>
>>144311548
That tweet makes me cringe. It's like the creator picked up those buzzwords from the Nick executives that rejected him.
>>
>>144311957
>>144311740
Ah, I see, you are talking out of your ass then.
Even the first thing you say is idiotic, most from /co/ are the kind of people to throw a hissy fit over changes like that. I dropped Spider-man to never touch it again after One more day, and I had read every single fucking coming and crossover from him since Amazing Fantasy up to that point.
>>
>>144312701
Maybe it's different because it's multiple people having to write one character, as opposed to one person writing one character.
>>
>>144311548
I remember following (((Goldstein)))) back in my High School Deviantart days
He seems retarded. If course retroactive changes would be done to his work to appease others. That's anti-art.
Good for Him for getting the rights back after Nickelodeon had enough sense not to produce more Calart garbage.
>>
File: Yashigani Hofuru.gif (1.3 MB, 500x566)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB GIF
>>144311740
Retconning stuff or changing characters is one thing. Even if they did retcon a detail in future re-prints, you could still find proof in original prints. In the case of OP, since the only place to find the webcomic would be on the guy's website, he controls the version that everyone sees. The Killing Joke got an infamous re-print where it changed all the coloring, but the original version is still easily accessible.

I can think of similar scenarios for movies, TV shows, and video games. You have situations like Disney Blu-ray remasters that completely fuck over the color grading with the only way to have the original is with old DVDs or VHS copies. There's stuff like "Star Wars Special Edition" where it became hard to find the originals during the VHS days. You can make an argument for video games that get free updates and are vastly different from the original game that released; for example, you simply CAN'T play the original version of Team Fortress 2 that released in 2007 on PC anymore. The closest you can get is maybe playing it on console where it got no updates.

Maybe the closest to OP example I can think of is when anime airs scenes that are crappy or incomplete and fix it for DVD release. Unless people are recording those episodes when they original air, it's very easy to pretend those scenes didn't exist. We're in the era of streaming original content with no digital releases, so it's well within the power of a studio to make changes to an episode that only pirates would be able to see if a difference exists.
>>
File: file.png (80 KB, 279x320)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
>>144313553
mmmmmm, spherical lettuce
[drools]
>>
>>144311548
>gene GOLDSTEIN
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
>>
>>144311548
>i'm pretty bummed
bikecuck edit when
>>
Hollywood brainrot is so real.
>>
File: pict5938_pfix.jpg (535 KB, 3008x2000)
535 KB
535 KB JPG
I know The Phantom retroactively changed some art and dialog to match new canon. Int he beginning he only had one type of ring, the skull one that left its mark on whoever he punched. But he'd also give it on someone's hand to show they're an ally of his. Writers/editors realized that was a bit confusing so they had him get another ring featuring 4 sabers that's for that purpose. So older stories were then edited to match this.
>>
File: file.png (1.73 MB, 1137x1552)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB PNG
>>144315385
It's PHATOM, not phaNtom.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.