[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Lurk this board for a while
>A good chunk of it is people bitching about comics
>The ones they bitch about are mostly recent (2000s-onward)
I have a solution: just read old stuff! 90s and earlier! There's SO MUCH material and lots of variety! I barely read anything from after the 90s, and I have plenty of material to keep me entertained! Most of the wokeshit, grimderp, and cringe comedy are from the 2000s-onward. Old comics have better art, too.
>>
OMG GOLDEN BAT MAN JUMPSCARE
>>
>Golden Bat Man can't hurt you he's not real
>Golden Bat Man:
>>
>>144313218
For once I agree with OP.
The problem is /co/ is filled with children and men who shouldn't be around children.
>>
>>144313218
While some of the storytime threads for older comics have been pretty active, threads for comics that people like are never as popular as threads for comics people hate. /co/ unironically loves to hate.
>>
>>144313281
I tried looking up archives for a Crumb storytime, but all the images are sadly lost.
>>
>>144313218
>just read old stuff! 90s and earlier!
What if I read every single comic book from 31/12/1999 and back?
>>
>>144313281
This is true, much like with movie reviews on YouTube: it's more entertaining to watch people rant about things they hate than gush about things they love. Still, I think discussion of good stuff would be nice to see.
>>
>>144313292
Then you have a lot of time on your hands! To be serious, there is some good stuff from after my cutoff, but you have to discriminate and not just read every piece of slop you see on the rack.
>>
>>144313218
>Old comics have better art
Idk, we remember the greats fondly, but there was a ton of crap too. And there have been a lot of exemplary artists in the modern age, so many, but the problem is their art is often in service of shitty, uninspired scripting.
>>
>>144313365
I am of course generalizing, and it's a matter of personal preference, but most art from Silver, Bronze, and Dark Age DC and Marvel is more appealing to me than the shadowy, muted, pseudo-realist style most mainstream comics have had 2000s-onward. There was plenty of crap back then as well, I read an AC comics issue featuring the Charlton action heroes before DC acquired them; the art felt amateurish and the inks looked like they were done with Mr. Sketch markers.
>>
>>144313218
You don’t get it. People are here to just bitch
>>
>>144313307
/co/ was love once
>>
>>144313754
True, and I understand the appeal of venting about stuff that pisses you off but sometimes it feels like people are masochistically hate-reading stuff they don't like, which feels like a waste of time to me. You've gotta spend time reading and talking about stuff you DO like.
>>
>>144313218
>00s
No it’s mostly from 2011 on. From 2000-2010 shit was still pretty solid. Anyone telling you otherwise is likely to focus on Ultimate Marvel or Identity Crisis, and the problem with those wasn’t woke shit.

That being said you can absolutely read old comics and still bitch about the garbage being pumped out. Only a shill looking to quiet dissent would act like you can’t do both.
>>
>>144313831
That was a marketing tactic but literal shills trying to make this place more palatable like Reddit for things like AMAs and market research. They still do the latter, literally daily, but the creators steer clear for the most part which IMO is a good thing considering most of them are insufferable faggots.
>>
>>144313837
>which feels like a waste of time to me
I’d say it’s no more of a waste of time than telling people what they should or should not discuss on 4chan under the guise of actually caring what they spend their time doing or what habits are healthy.

Faggots like Tim seeley do this shit all the time and really it’s just an attempt to silence people and foster more positive communal reception to the abject garbage being made these days.
>>
>>144314250
>No it’s mostly from 2011 on. From 2000-2010 shit was still pretty solid. Anyone telling you otherwise is likely to focus on Ultimate Marvel or Identity Crisis, and the problem with those wasn’t woke shit.
Perhaps, I've liked a couple things I've read from the 2000s. Identity Crisis and Ultimate weren't woke, but they were grimderp, which is another thing I dislike.
>That being said you can absolutely read old comics and still bitch about the garbage being pumped out. Only a shill looking to quiet dissent would act like you can’t do both.
I wholeheartedly agree, I just think it would be nice to focus on the positive now and then.
>>
>>144314296
>silence people and foster more positive communal reception to the abject garbage being made these days
That's certainly not my intent, I just want to balance things out a little, I guess.
>>
>>144314303
>I just think it would be nice to focus on the positive now and then
Frankly I don’t think it’s negative enough given how bad things are these days. And I agree with anon:
>>144314296
>>144314272
It feels like the only people who say this just want to be able to sell shitty comics without negativity making it tougher.
>>
>>144314340
Again, the total opposite of my intent. I hate most of the stuff you hate, which is why I don't read it. I just think it would be nice if people read good stuff now and then, and talked about why it was good. Fuck modern comics, generally speaking, and fuck the industry and the state its in.
>>
>>144314319
I guess I just think you should fuck off to Reddit and Twitter with all of the stale faux positivity from bot accounts and people who have never paid for a comic in their lives. I think /co/ being the last bastion of honesty is an unquestionably good thing.
>>
>>144314371
Funny because I’m one of the only people who routinely replies to Same Name storytimes. Instead of wasting time making threads bitching about bitching why not just shut the fuck up and storytime something you like? Just seems like a more constructive activity than whining about whining.
>>
>>144314378
That's cool, man. Whats your favorite comic? :)
>>
>>144314400
You're probably right, guess I'm just too lazy.
>>
>>144314407
Why would I say that in this particular thread? Go start another thread and ask for reccs or what people’s favorite comic of all time is if you care, you’ll get many more replies than you would at the bottom of this whiny shit heap.

Nothing you do or say seems genuine, frankly.
>>
Tim got BTFO again I see. Cry moar faggot.
>>
>>144313218
80s pre-Crisis Batman is super expensive to get into. The book had dire sales so issue availability is lower, certain issues are absurdly expensive (especially the ones that introduce key characters like Jason Todd, Jason as Robin, Killer Croc, and Black Mask, not to mention how the issues that introduce Lucius Fox's kids are now $300-500 books due to the rarity issue).
>>
>>144313218
>i-i-i-if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t saying anything at all
Faggot

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.