[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: transporter.png (808 KB, 1315x660)
808 KB
808 KB PNG
>landing effects are too expensive, because you apparently can't just jump cut
>solution is to make up a piece of tech that ruins dramatic tension and raises a bunch of really stupid questions
I've always HATED the transporter, and teleportation in general. Any story the features it has to come up with all manner of contrived whoreshit to explain why the characters can't just go wherever the fuck they need to go in an instant. And that's before we get into how this specific form of teleportation is comically impossible even by typical sci-fi standards. It's one of the few times where physics will outright say "No. Fuck you.". And then there's all the asinine philosophical issues that I personally find fucking obnoxious. Just... don't have teleportation in your story. It's never worth it.
>>
>>144329751
You are autistic
>>
>>144329751
>ruins dramatic tension
why would going from point a to point b need dramatic tension? youre in space and leaving orbit isnt fuel efficient
>>
Another making-a-TV-show cheat is they could have a back door on the ship, maybe even build a simple outdoor entrance set/prop you can never quite see inside. Cut, they're running out down onto the planet.

But that would be more work, take more time for the same redundant thing, probably more effort the crew too, and it would actually be less spectacular. So fuck you OP teleportation is a great device.
>>
There's already a Star Trek thread in the catalog.
>>144322790
>>
>>144329751
>a piece of tech that ruins dramatic tension
They never used it in the orignal series to make a quick and convienient escape. That only sometimes happened in later series.
>>
>>144329825
That's for the kid's show, not LD.
>>
>>144329774
>characters are trapped in an underground cave
>"Hurp a derp, the rocks are made of plotonium, so we can't port out because of contrivaton particles!"
>>144329774

>youre in space and leaving orbit isnt fuel efficient
That is literally what shuttlecraft are supposed to be for. Also, you're seriously gonna tell me that deconstructing multiple living beings atom by atom and putting them back together perfectly in an instant(which again, is literally impossible) is somehow more energy efficient than just flying down? Please.
>>
>>144329847
"Kids show" does Prodigy a huge disservice.
>>
>>144329847
The only difference between those two cartoons is the fact that in your lesbian romcom the characters say 'fuck' and 'dick' every now and then so manchildren in the audience feel better about watching a cartoon. The writing is equally juvenile, if not more.
>>
>>144329864
>is literally impossible
except its not
>>
>>144329875
I don't care about tribewar shit, the green one's hot and it's all that matters.
>>
>>144329833
Which just raises the question of -why- they don't do that. Again, teleportation removes any actual stakes, because there's no way characters wouldn't abuse the hell out of it.
>>
>>144329751
>whoreshit
Horseshit. The word you're looking for is horseshit.
>>
>>144329895
Except it quite actually is. Power requirements in excess of all extant energy in the universe, computation time of quintillions of years, the very transmission mechanism itself being fucked by the uncertainty principle, etc. It just doesn't work.

>>144329899
Don't respond to the troll.
>>
>>144329957
Admittedly I should watch more of the series, since I've only seen the first season.
>>
>>144329984
You should. It's quite good. Goes out of its way to do new and interesting things with the setting, and all the characters have a fair amount of depth and fun arcs.
>>
>>144329957
>Don't respond to the troll.
Look who's talking.
>>
>>144329911
>Which just raises the question of -why- they don't do that.
It's a fictional technology and you can just say it's too slow to use like that. That's why they have to stand still in a little formation if they want to use it.
>>
>>144329751
>I can’t separate reality from fiction and this anger me
ok

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.