[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1929.jpg (161 KB, 1488x1488)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
What did he mean by this? No seriously, what did maxwell atoms mean by this?
>>
the stock market crash and writers strike happened in 2007/2008 and there was a great purge of a lot of old media including cartoon network. CN purged all of its old creators and then from that we got CNreal, then adventure time/regular show/steven universe

sounds like sour grapes imo
>>
>>144333078
2008 was when Billy & Mandy ended and Underfist (as an ongoing series) was rejected. It was also the time when the network was ramping up for their CN Real plans, so nearly everything animated was axed.
>>
File: file.png (163 KB, 600x619)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
>>144333078
He's right
>>
>>144333078
2008 is the infamous "hateful fart cartoon" incident if I'm not mistaken.
So he's correct. That was the beginning of the end for Cartoon Network.
>>
>>144333078
He means CN shows after 2008 are ass, OP.
>>
>>144333281
I think it's more than that. I think it's a fundamental, permanent shift in the priorities of CN as a network.
This was also when CN Real was being planned.
>>
>>144333119
>sour grapes
What makes you think laying off all of your already on-board talent in favor of going all-in on shitty live action shows on CARTOON Network was a good idea?
>>
File: IMG_5805.jpg (159 KB, 1080x1200)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>144333634
NTA but i dont think hes defending CN real but more criticizing maxwells implied stance that post 2008 CN cartoons are bad, which frankly is a shit take to make such a broad statement since there have been good CN cartoons past 2008
>>
"Cartoon Network is dead" isn't a meme conjured up by bitter nostalgiafags. It really did fucking die in the 00s and animation people and industry folk have been saying it for decades.
>>
>>144333634
The problem with post-2008 CN is that they got rid of the pipeline in favor of using new inexperienced talent with no advisors and no real push back. That's mostly because they made a retarded decision with CNReal, and they refused to give the experienced people they fired the satisfaction of knowing they were wrong.

To some degree that did open up the modern shows to more interesting premises and deeper emotions than the earlier shows could have had, but it's also what made Steven Universe and Adventure Time such shitshows. Instead of pushing back against the retards using it as a personal therapy session, Adventure Time was allowed to run rudderless and Sugar was consciously running her own crew rudderless, which led to hiatus and most of the criticisms people level on those shows.
>>
>>144334060
Sugar really shouldve reigned in her shitshow that wad the crewniverse more then what she did. She was too spineless to them tainting her vision
>>
>>144334110
It's really a shame, because if you just go off of the basic ideas of the show without factoring in the botched execution it had the potential to be something really special and influential. Maybe it wouldn't have been revolutionary, but it would have been more deserving of how hard they pushed it quality-wise.

But then people have forgotten how to make cheap yet efficient fiction all across the board. Lots of Ghibli-Disney sized boots and not a whole lot of feet to fill them.
>>
Camp Lazlo, My Gym Partners a Monkey, Squirrel Boy, Chowder and Flapjack just couldn't compete with earlier shows (and post movie SpongeBob)
>>
File: IMG_2664.png (1.31 MB, 1920x1090)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
>>144334215
Zoomer writers value ghibli shit way too much. Ghibli has always been overrated at best and most of their output is mid imo
>>144334227
>Camp Lazlo, My Gym Partners a Monkey, Squirrel Boy,
All came out before 2008
>Chowder and Flapjack
Both came out in 2008 and blow the previous three shows out of the water in terms of quality. Maxwell atoms is full of shit in this case in implying that all CN shows past 2008 sucked, especially since 2006 shows like my gym partners a monkey and squirrel boy in particular sucked shit
>>
>>144334264
A lot of people tuned out with Chowder and Flapjack without giving it a shot because they considered it to be SpongeBob clones. You look back on contemporary records and they're very suspicious towards it, if not outright hostile. They were unable to grasp the fast-paced insanity and consistent creative charm of the former or the creeping unease and great timing of the latter.
>>
File: IMG_9299.png (405 KB, 918x1446)
405 KB
405 KB PNG
>>144334278
Thats a damn shame, because both were really great cartoons and a bright light during the days of CN real. And honestly, the past few years of CN have been much worse then CN real. At least the CN real kept cartoon networks edge and had kino like flapjack or secret stairdays or ben 10 alien force and the clone wars. All we got now is literal toddler slop for CN. I feel like we are seeing the death throes of cartoon network
>>
>>144334301
It's more that it's the death of cable as a medium. It was a fad to begin with, as once there existed free flowing information that you could get the news and media from, legal or otherwise, the idea of paying for television as a service became void once again. They also don't know how to attract viewers anymore, and it's not like you could anyways because the infrastructure for getting people to look at your stuff is pretty much destroyed now.
>>
File: IMG_3058.jpg (849 KB, 1125x1066)
849 KB
849 KB JPG
>>144334337
What i really hate is how nothing had replaced network animation. Streaming channels dont give a shit about animation and constantly cancel and mistreat whatever animated shows they produce, just look at netflix. I want streaming to have as many new cartoons as cable channels had like 6 years ago but i dont see that happening anytime soon. It feels like the animation industry is dying to be brutally honest.
>>
>>144334385
It's the death of studio animation, but animators are resilient. They'll realize that there's no safety with big media companies or the streaming darlings and return to making their own stuff with other animators. Once the problem of infrastructure is sorted out art shall return stronger and freer than ever before.
>>
File: IMG_3775.jpg (318 KB, 927x648)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
>>144334476
I hope your right anon. Its really soul crushing to see studio animation in its current form die like this. I feel like disney shuttering all of its lore cartoons really cemented to me that cable animation or studio animation as you call it refuses to get better and just wants to make infantilized bottom of the barrel slop now
>>
>>144333219
I thought that incident happened relatively recently like within the past 6 or so years when he tried to pitch a revival for billy and mandy?
>>
>>144334476
> Once the problem of infrastructure is sorted out
Infrastructure isn’t a problem. A lot of those indie productions are incredibly well organized and regimented. The biggest issue is financing. Donations and merch pull in a pittance that barely help productions limp across the finish line, and YouTube pays absolute dick, so productions make very little on the back end.
Dealing with networks sucks, but they have deep pockets. The extant indie model is not sustainable. A better system that generates more capital needs to be worked out for that to be the way forward.
>>
>>144335421
Production pipelines are organizational, but the sustainable model is infrastructural. We're talking about the same thing here.

The problem is that YouTube captured all the reach any video form has that isn't political insanity or pirated video, and they control what the rates are and make it unsustainable for creatives. Creating a new model of payment that sidesteps YouTube's flaws while keeping its reach is an infrastructural problem, and the networks themselves are suffering from it because most people view the internet through platforms like YouTube, so publishers and large firms don't get much of anything either. A new paradigm will probably emerge when YouTube gets regulated or realizes that its loss-driven monopoly is not profitable. Eventually we'll find a productive and profitable way to disseminate video and text on the internet, but it won't come out of tech companies.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.