[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1718293373411026.jpg (415 KB, 1041x1600)
415 KB
415 KB JPG
Why did this make /co/ so mad?
>>
>>144631276
It’s stupid and edgy (and hypocritical coming from Slott).
>>
>>144631276
Pointless shock value that violates the rules of its own villain.
>>
>>144631276
The entire event was Dan Slott's desire to make as many people as mad as possible by brutally murdering past versions of Spider-Man that people like and are fondly remembered in response to everyone hating what he himself has done with the character for about a decade to that point.
It wasn't done because Dan Slott wanted to tell a story.
It wasn't done because Dan Slott thought it was a fun and clever callback.
It wasn't even done because Dan Slott wanted to send some kind of political message as many modern writers are wont to do.

It was done out of spite.
>>
>>144631276
what comic is this? maybe if i read it i'll get mad and understand
>>
That Amazing Friends-themed Deadpool Annual was arguably even worse.
>>
>>144631450
It won't make sense on its own, because its referential garbage.
Tldr: spiderman event where an edgy vampire goes around killing different versions of spiderman across the multiverse because he is an alpha predator of some kind of... totem shit. Apparently Spiderman is a mystical totem for some reason. Don't fucking ask me why.

Anyway, in the OP page he offscreen kills Spiderman and his Amazing Friends, the characters from the kids cartoon. Despite the fact that while Spiderman maybe be some kind of really fucking stupid mystical totem, Iceman and Firestar are not and should by all rights have fucking destroyed him. None of this is explained, it just expects you to recognize these characters from your youth and to be mad that he killed them off so unceremoniously, because thats the entire 'appeal' of Spiderverse.

The only thing more frustrating than how immensely crap Spiderverse was is that they made a second Spiderverse event, and Spiderverse has become synonymous with and definitive of Spiderman because nothing gets Sony as throbbingly erect as an excuse to play the multiverse card in a Spiderman adaptation.
>>
at least the dog is ok
>>
>>144631398
>It’s stupid and edgy (and hypocritical coming from Slott).

I too remember his Great Lakes Avengers mini
>>
>>144631428
It worked though
>>
>>144631534
The dog was threatened if people kept complaining.
>>
File: MC2 Peter.jpg (1.68 MB, 1988x3056)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>>144631276
I think I was more angry about MC2 Peter getting axed by an inferior Spider-Man writer in addition to said writer's vapid, spiteful attempt at turning Mayday into a shadow of her true self than I was about some random Spider-Man from the 60's getting killed off.
>>
>>144631879
>It worked though
Well congratulations, nobody can bring themselves to care about the vast majority of Spider-Man ongoings, and the only one with any meaningful buzz is the title that explicitly rejects the way the character has been treated for decades. What's the next step of your master plan?
>>
>>144631912
*Oops. I meant 80's.
>>
>>144631276
If you have to ask you're honestly retarded.
>>
>>144631276
People wanted a fun event where alternate spider men did shit. Instead, they die by the docen thanks to the most unispired set of villains possible, then thr heroes win at the end.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.