[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why didn't any other cartoon bands really take off like Gorillaz did?
>>
>>144643224
What other cartoon bands?
>>
Same reason why no other parodist reached Weird Al's status nor any other American idol reached Kelly Clarkson's fame:

It was an overly niche thing.
>>
>>144643224
idk any other cartoon bands but gorillaz used to make really great music and had decently big features like mf doom
>>
>>144643265
Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Dethklok.
>>
File: 1679511208727.jpg (57 KB, 800x600)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>144643224
They look like NFTs now, wtf happened in the last 3 years since Song Machine with the artstyle?
>>
File: images-15.jpg (42 KB, 739x415)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>144643353
https://youtu.be/2I1GhXjIG6o?si=_tfFik-r0vOgobo2
>>
>>144643265
The Archies made it as a one-hit wonder back in 1969.
>>
>>144643418
The 2000s are over and the edge Jamie's old art had was left behind. Now he draws quirky filed down schlock instead of the grungy kino from yesteryear.
>>
>>144643520
Sad but true
>>
File: noodle dance.webm (1.57 MB, 828x872)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB WEBM
>>144643224
Because Gorillaz was the first truly big cartoon band that wasn't based solely around the cartoon gimmick. It dominates a niche
that's so small nobody wants to bother filling it with anything else because the peak is iconic and well liked so why bother?

One thing I like about Gorillaz is that the music stands on its own and you don't need to follow the story of the fake band to "get it". Compare Gorillaz to something like Steam Powered Giraffe where like half of SPG's discography is just songs about their theatre kid sporkcore band's lore and le epic bacon 2010s tumblr-tier shit.
>>
>>144643224
They had music that normal people liked
Honestly Gorillaz succeeded in spite of the cartoon gimmick, not because of it. They could have been a normal band and been about as successful with a lot less effort, their music was big at the time
>>
>>144643224
Gorillaz is basically just something the people working on Deltron 3030 did because they were on a creative roll with Dan the Automator being the main driving musical force, they just got Albarn's buddy to draw some characters to go with it. It can arguably be a cotinuation of the sort of character concept stuff that Dan had been for a few years priror (Dr. Octagon with Kool Keith, Handsome Boy Modeling School with Prince Paul and Deltron with Del).

This is why everything released after the original album is trash. Gorillaz isn't the concept of Damon Albarn and his supposed musical and creative genius. Albarn was just the Prince Paul/Kool Keith/Del the Funkee Homosapien. Without him you're left with the shambling, barely alive pile of garbage that got worse and worse with each album until devolving fully into loreshit because Albarn was always a faggy British hack.
>>
>>144646258
But the project peaked when Danger Mouse got involved
>>
>>144643265
Prozzak for one. They had a edgy makeover after disappearing for 7 years but that might've changed
>>
>>144643281
>nor any other American idol reached Kelly Clarkson's fame
Korea is able to mass produce music groups using TV shows somehow. It's to the point where the show is just a rigged commercial used to introduce the group to the world.
>>
File: yfm.png (111 KB, 360x226)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>144643265
*blocks your path*
>>
>>144646312
Maybe on Planet Retard
>>
>>144646537
I'd rather live on planet retard than planet contrarian
>>
Chazdono, no one knows shit about them and they are prob dead, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRCzdNDK6zw&t=77s
>>
>>144643444
This was the top selling single of 1969, the year of Woodstock. Think of all those 1969 bands
>Led Zeppelin
>The Beatles
>The Doors
>Rolling Stones
>The Jimi Hendrix Experience
>Janis Joplin
>The Grateful Dead
>The Who
>Bob Dylan
>The Mothers
>Joan Baez
And know that the Archies outsold them all
>>
>>144646537
I'm 100% with you but you have to be a clueless fool to say s/t was bigger than Demon Dayz. I was a 10/10 on s/t and 6/10 on DD kind of guy but Gorillaz are more notable as a Danger Mouse project than as a Dan the Automator one. Which is sad because I love a good Cabin Boy reference.
>>
>>144646258
>This is why everything released after the original album is trash
kys
>>
>come to a gorillaz thread
>don't enjoy DD
What is this logic?
>>
>>144646745
I'm not talking about "bigger" or commercially successful. I'm talking about creative or as an actual album. Demon Days and beyond doesn't measure up because it's a commercial product first and foremost. The same creative energy driven by a producer basically at the peak of what he'd already been doing for a few years was completely gone in favor of going with someone with a more commercial sound and the results (it's shit) speak for themselves.
>>
>>144647123
Lotta words to say you hate DD because it's more popular and cohesive
>>
>>144643444
Wait, THE Sugar, Sugar? I didn't know this, that's pretty cool
>>
>>144647209
>songs are way worse because guy whose main contribution is his shitty lyrics dumps the talented producer for someone/something more commercial friendly
Yeah, I hate it because it's popular in the sense that chasing that popularity led to something worse.
>>
>>144643224
Ado is really big

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.