[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1615929806852.jpg (381 KB, 962x872)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
Doom has to legitimately be one of the most schizophrenic /co/ characters due to how he's used. He's far too popular to remain a clear villain, but he is THE Marvel villain, so to remain dangerous his evil actions keep getting amped up. He's too much of a senior character to not get any deeper characterization that humanizes him, but he's also got to remain a villain, so for a moment of humanity he gets an even more damning one. In the end you're left with a character who is either multifaceted, or a contradictory schizo. Seriously, break it down.
>does he do everything because, in a twisted way, he legitimately believes it leads to the better future for humanity, or is it all just fake posturing and all he really cares for is his ego
>is his pride so strong, his ego so superhuman, that it borders on being a superpower, or is he a secretly sad man overcompensating for feeling unworthy
>does he act like a genuine person, or is he an empty vessel that runs on seething
>does he actually care about any of the things he does, or is it all just ways to obtain power and engage in the one thing he enjoys, the killing of his enemies
No matter how you cut it, there are panels, stories and so on to support each one of these, but a lot of them cancel each other out. If Doom's will is so superhumanely strong, he should legitimately believe that he is the greatest gift to mankind. But it's apparent that he is a sad man locking himself inside a metal armour to bury the human and live as the persona. He's a genius, but he's never shown enjoying anything beyond killing his enemies and grabbing unlimited power. Everything he does boils down to LARPing and posturing with his core driving force being just seething.

I am obviously overthinking a character written by many people, but with Doom's whole MO, it takes on a meta level and I feel that it deserved a thread. I guess I prefer an overcompensating broken Doom to a gigachad power fantasy; it makes him more interesting IMHO.
>>
>>144643718
It's just bad writing, guy.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.