[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1143.jpg (27 KB, 750x500)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
How do I into Mark Millar? He seems like a top geezer.
>>
>>144653865
start with kick ass
>>
>>144653865
Just read Starlight, Huck, MPH, and Jupiter's Legacy.
>>
His books are okay. Love the fact that he makes faggots seethe.
>>
>>144653865
Sort of like Garth Ennis but not as good imo, edgy, everyone already recommends shit like Starlight and Kick Ass, but i actually recommend Super Crooks since even if most of the characters are a bit wasted and the overall story was kind of generic i'm a big fan of "c list" villain stories. I hear edgefags here like Nemesis or something but i couldn't get past the 2nd issue because it kept reminding me of all the bullshit in Dark Knights Metal but before that story and with more gore and edgy stuff thrown in, i hear it's sequels get better though.
>>
Superman Adventures (starts around issue 22, through 41, IIRC)- the comic people wish superhero comics were. self-contained, punchy stories with heart.
Superman Red Son- a crown jewel of an elseworld story, largely because it maintains the character's essential personalities in spite of being an elseworld. It's sold as an evil Superman story, but memorable because Superman is still innately good. Luthor is a good guy, but still self-aggrandizing and Machiavellian.
Ultimates- You can read his Authority run too but it's not self-contained, Ultimates is an redefined cinematic comics even more than Ellis' Authority with Hitch. Cinematic comics get a bad rep these days but it's a perfect encapsulation of Jack Kirby's credo that it takes movie studios millions to do what one artist can do with a pencil. Hitch and Millar created a visual language that Hollywood took inspiration from. It's brash, loud, and shamelessly in the vein of an action movie, but it's not dumb as fanboys cry about it being.
Aztek- a once critical darling that's been forgotten, made with Morrison. Worth checking out their take on doing a superhero from the ground up
Marvel Knights Spider-man- two fairly cool story arcs that don't require much past knowledge about comics and feel largely self-contained. Solid Spider-man stories with classic villains, an adult, mature Peter, and no bloated stakes or weird shit like totems or demons.
Wanted- arguably the most divisive Millar comic that isn't outright largely hated or despised like The Unfunnies or Nemesis. Some people call it trolling, I think it's basically a supervillain romp to see the natural endpoint of all these villains who make deathtraps, deathrays, and kidnap women and children actually win. They're rotten people, it's a rotten book, and it's really enjoyable for that reason.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.