[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Should today's superhero comics attack malign regimes, the way Golden Age superheroes would regularly battle Nazis? It would be really bold for Marvel to create a universe where Magneto is a Uyghur trying to stop his people's genocide at the hands of the Chinese government.
>>
>>144662123
Yes.
>>144662168
Spotted the nazi
>>
>>144662637
Join the ack.
>>
It makes more sense if there is a world war going on though.
>>
File: american power .jpg (26 KB, 175x270)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
I wish we got that bizarre American Power comic 20 years ago about a superhero in the Middle Eastern conflict in a weird gimp suit.
>>
No
>>
>>144662123
The reason this will never happen is that, unlike the 40s, we live in a globalized world and the "regimes" that currently exist are also markets where companies want to sell products. And these markets are pretty valuable. DC can't really do a comic where Superman kicks the shit out of Xi Jinping because the CCP will probably punish them.

Also, todays liberals and leftists would much rather criticize social malignancies in the West than champion American values against a foreign adversary. Which is why so many mainstream comics rn consist of your favorite costumed heroes turning to the reader and saying "I SUPPORT LGBT RIGHTS AND BLACK LIVES MATTER, AND I HATE TRUMP!" Despite the obvious antisemitism, I think there's a kernel of truth to what >>144662168 says. World War II was the last conflict that the overwhelming majority of Americans agree we were the good guys in. Now, post-war comics of course didn't stop being jingoistic. Hell, Iron Man was a defense tycoon who sold weapons for the Vietnam War effort, but that's considered pretty embarrassing today. People are a lot more anti-war now I don't ever think we'll see comics being used as propaganda in the same way we used to.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.