[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dc finest green arrow.jpg (185 KB, 600x923)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
I've heard great things about this run, but I've never read it. I saw they're putting out a 600 page collection in January. Should I pick it up? Or should I look at the omnibuses? I don't know how much of those omnibuses is included in this.
>>
>>144665072
It's not that good.
>>
>>144665072
It's very hit or miss. It's sort of an inverse version of O'Neil's The Question. O'Neil took a libertarian character, put him through the wringer, and had him emerge no longer believing his old philosophy and instead trying to find answers. Grell did sort of the same with Ollie in reverse, but honestly it doesn't work as well. The Question didn't have many appearances before O'Neil's run, it wasn't too difficult to believe that being beaten to death and having his city fall apart would make him reevaluate his philosophy. It's considerably harder to swallow scenes of Green Arrow, a well-established hippie, going "Hm, maybe SOME children SHOULD be tried as adults!"
The run was interesting in some aspects, but I just don't like what it did with the characters in the long run. Didn't like how Ollie emerged, didn't like how Dinah emerged (nor how she received "infertile now" injuries that really weren't consistent with anything but sexual assault), and I struggle to remember the supporting cast/villains with a couple notable exceptions.

Eddie Fyers was ace though, and honestly fuck DC at large for what's been done with him after the 50th reboot, just to give "synergy" with the shitty Arrow show.
>>
>>144665771
O'Neil's Question isn't very good either.
>>
>>144665985
I disagree, but horses for courses.
Thing is, O'Neil's Question was 30-something issues long. He told his story then gave it a pretty solid ending. He did a couple little stories with Vic later, but the tale was told. Vic had tried his best to save the city, but that city was too far gone so he had to take a deep breath and walk away. Grell's Green Arrow went on for more than twice as long and just sort of came to a weird screeching halt as he handed the book off to another writer with tons of stuff unresolved.
I'd recommend O'Neil's Question over Grell's Green Arrow any day, and part of that is that it feels like one solid story with an ending.
>>
>>144666695
I absolutely adore both. Grell’s Green Arrow and O’Neil’s Question was some of the best output from DC; not just in the 80’s, but overall. I’m glad they Omni’s both of these series and actually finished them. Highly recommend reading both, but that’s just my opinion.
>>
>>144665072
Grell's Green Arrow is one of the best runs ever. This poster: >>144665771 has no idea what they're talking about.
>>
It's all right. The "Black Canary gets raped" part wasn't necessary.
>>
>>144668725

>>>/reddit/
>>
All wrong.
>>
>>144665072
It's good, the best Green Arrow run by far but it's unevern. The Longbow Hunters mini is the high point but that one is outstanding.
>>
>>144665072
Doesn't that depend on the format you prefer? omnis or 600 page collections?
And for what it's worth, it's better than most cape comics that are often recommended as musts.
>>
>>144668725
Shit happens.
>>
>>144665771
>It's considerably harder to swallow scenes of Green Arrow, a well-established hippie, going "Hm, maybe SOME children SHOULD be tried as adults!"
Who gives a shit?
>>
>>144665985
You’re retarded
>>
>>144665771
This feels like female (or male in a dress) hands typed it.
>>
>>144665985
O'Neil's hippie bullshit fucking ruined the character.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.