[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What do you think makes for "outsider art"? Yes I know there's plenty of definitions, some more 'official' than others, but which one do you feel more attached to? And what are some artists you would describe as BEING outsider artists?

In my opinion (and especially nowadays when the opportunity to make independent art is so much more available) "outsider artists" are ones that are outsiders not just to the industry, but to society. Ones that are truly disconnected and are creating from their own esoteric place and view of the world.

Pic unrel.
>>
>>
>>144667652
Of course, in fact
>>
>>144667652
Outsider art used to mean art made by people who aren't affiliated with the mainstream art scene but yeah in today's world it seems less important so I think it should refer more to people who aren't even inspired by or work according to the mainstream art scene
>>
>>144667681
I wish they never poked this guy, just kept watching him
What would've been?
>>
>>144669875
We got a lot of great reports of him from back before his e-fame that prove he was a weird fella even outside of the web, so yeah I think just letting him do his thing and watching from afar would have been good
>>
>>144667652
Indie animation is pretty outsider
>>
>>144670670
Eh, in some definitions of the word, sure
But I'd argue indie work made by someone acutely aware of the art industry and is working off of their internal practices is still not truly an "outsider artist", it's more like a cool kid who just wasn't invited to a party

Outsider art truly shows , you feel it when you see it, it's not just a matter of "is this TECHNICALLY owned by a studio/corporation or not?" it has a smell, yknow?
>>
eh

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.