[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1694105219082313.png (1.01 MB, 1200x900)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
I don't have any baity or culture war things to say about this show, I just want to make a recess thread because I think its the one of the best cartoons ever created. What's your favorite episode?

Mine has to be the one where everyone discovers spinelli's name is Ashley.
>>
I have baity and culture war stuff to say but I wont
>>
I don't remember a lot of specifics but the Monstickers episode is burned into my brain forever.
>>
>>144669805
One of my all time favorites is when Spinelli is so overwhelmed by her desire to draw in chalk that everyone tries their best to keep her going - only for the drawing to wash away and for her to shrug her shoulders.
>>
I like the episode where TJ and Spinelli kiss because I shipped them
>>
>>144669805
I’m glad Vince ended up impregnating Spinelli.
>>
File: image-8.png (534 KB, 1090x391)
534 KB
534 KB PNG
What I liked most about recess was how it tried to tackle complicated social themes that kids should learn in a manner that wasn't propaganda for the most part. The jokes were good, the characters were interesting and it could take a one dimensional archetype and make them endearing even if you disliked them before. The music was great as well, sounds like the music kids were forced to play in school for events but now it was geared for the kids and not for the adults.
>>
File: whomping.png (466 KB, 948x1188)
466 KB
466 KB PNG
Picture day where the gang try to keep Gus clean until the photo is taken, mainly for the ending with his dad seeing the class picture and being happy with the result
>>
The Box > all Spinelli episodes > Gus just tries to survive the day episodes > TJ goes mad with power episodes > pre-Galileo Gretchen episodes > Vince episodes > other TJ episodes > Gus goes made with power episodes > post-Galileo Gretchen episodes >>> Mikey episodes
>>
>>144669805
The MC gets BLACKED
>>
>>144670765
Yeah in hindsight Mikey was kinda shit
>>
>>144670683
I'm not jerking off to Spinelli and Gretchen. There are limits to my degeneracy.
>>
>>144670773
He was a good support character but not many episodes they focused on him because there wasn't really a need for it.
>>
>>144670765
I forgot about that stupid fucking computer frog thing. Alright this show is 99.9% perfect.
>>
>>144670793
I remember Mikey episodes that had him act like an annoying asshole or hypocrite. And it isn't too crazy for the kid characters to act that way at times but it specifically stuck out as annoying for him because his whole character was him acting like he's the "philosophical" and "empathetic" one of the group.
>>
>>144670773
I don't think there's an episode worse than the one where Mikey regresses to the mind of a baby, becomes obsessed with a Barney the Dinosaur rip-off, and ends up hanging out with kindergarteners
>>
1. the card game where gus becomes a high roller
2. randall gets popular by telling jokes
3. the ashleys rank every kid into a social hierarchy
anything involving the side characters is usually a kino episode, except randall most of the time.
>>
>>144670772
Spinelli was MC?
>>
>>144670826
It's an episode that's hard to watch but clearly necessary for a lot of people.
>>
the only two episodes i remember is the teacher lounge episode and the one where Vince became a baker
>>
>>144669805
The Episode where they cancelled recess.
The Rumor episode where Mikey threw a guy into the girl's bathroom (This is going to cause the culture argument sorry)
The Treasure map episode.

Honestly I kind of want the reboot to happen, I like a lot of the ideas for the gang and The new kids would be fun to focus on.
>>
>>144670909
I remember when Vince’s older brother was coming to visit and the Ashley’s wanted to be blacked by him.
>>
TJ becoming a sticker billionaire.
>>
File: Sketches.jpg (42 KB, 736x913)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
The ones that stick in my memory the most
>Swinger Girl goes over the top of the bar and disappears, turning Spinelli into a cult leader
>Finster looks after Spinelli as a favor to her parents, the rest of the gang peek in to see them both dancing in hula outfits
>Spinelli is revealed to be an Ashley
>the card game corrupts the school
>TJ breaks his arm and befriends a D&D group
>Gus kicks the good ball over the fence and has to go get it back
>long streak of no rain slowly drives everyone insane much to Finster's delight
>the gang try to get a look inside the Teachers Lounge
>the Finster boxed TJ
>the kiss
>>
>>144670882
Nah, her boyfriend was though. TJ now has to watch Spinelli live happily with her trophy black husband while playing with his virgin white micro cock. It's over.
>>
>>144670773
>Mikey wants to be a Crossing Guard
>tons of red tape to do that
>TJ and the others go on a giant fetch quest making deals and trades throughout the whole school
>Mikey finally gets handed his dream of becoming a Crossing Guard thanks entirely to TJ and the others
>literally after 1 minute on the job he decides its too hard and quits
I'm still seething
>>
>>144671037
The thing about the Next Bell pitch is that the five new kids are actually perfectly fine. Streetwise cool leader, friendly class clown, clumsy skater bro, egotistical drama kid, shy nerd. Would have been passable just as a Disney+ reboot of Recess with a new cast/generation.
But they barely got any focus in the pitch at all as it was all more focussed on the original cast growing up to be super rich and successful but having lost contact with each other to the point that the other five didn't even know Mikey was fucking dead, but now they all need to reconnect to take down some evil season long big bad.
The pitch had two different ideas and it was trying to force both of them into working.
>>
>>144669805
>black guy
>brown girl
>girl
IT'S WOKE! THE GODDAMNED LEFTIST BUILT A TIME MACHINE!
>>
>>144670683
I know this is pears but what's the sauce on the image? Can't find it anywhere.
>>
>>144671159
No wonder it didn't get picked up.
>>
>>144671159
TJ got cucked and BLACKED. He will end the series riding the sewerslide.
>>
>>144671222
We got the concept art of adult TJ, Spinelli, Vince and even Randall, but they never did share any pictures of their proposals for Supermodel Gretchen and trans Gus
>>
>>144669805
Weekend at Muriel's
The Experiment
>>
>Start with bait
>500 replies
>Look for genuine discussion
>Get this thread
This place whomps hard.
>>
File: GO6f25gWoAAp7wq[1].jpg (429 KB, 1190x1200)
429 KB
429 KB JPG
>>
>>144671307
This thread has been alright as far as discussion goes
>>
>>144671159
Recess just doesn't work if the adults aren't antagonistic/clueless. Having the OG cast be primary players was always going to be a mistake.
>>
File: 5d6rwjepe5z11.jpg (201 KB, 2289x1517)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>144669805
Pic related, just for being able to make this a meme

Or the Ajimbo one. Man did that one perfectly replicate how the yugioh hype went.
>>
The episode where everything on the playground costs stamps and TJ goes from broke to the richest kid on the playground.
I'll remember that episode for my entire life.
>>
>>144669805
>What's your favorite episode?
>Season 1
"Speedy, We Hardly Knew Ye"
"Rainy Days"
"The Great Can Drive"
"Kids in the Mist"
>Season 2
"The Game"
"Operation Field Trip"
"Gretchen and the Secret of Yo"
"The Story of Whomps"
"Economics of Recess"
"Omega Kids"
"Yes, Mikey, Santa Does Shave"
"Dance Lessons"
>Season 3
"Lord of the Nerds"
"The Barnaby Boys"
"Buried Treasure"
>Season 4
"The First Picture Show"
"Hustler's Apprentice"
"The Dude"
"Spinelli's Masterpiece"
"A Great State Fair"
"The A.V. Kid"
"Me No Know"
"Chez Vince"
"The Coolest Heatwave Ever"
>Season 5
"Gus and Misdemeanors"
"Bonky Fever"
>Season 6
"Terrifying Tales of Recess"
>Season 7
"Recess: Taking the Fifth Grade"
>>
>Mine has to be the one where everyone discovers spinelli's name is Ashley.
Same
>>
>>144671031
I don't know the name of the episode, but the one where Gretchen learns yo-yo. My memory kind of fuzzy but I think ut was because Gretchen was tired of being a one note character and wanted to learn something nothing to do with math. I remember the ending being very pleasant to watch, because animation the yo-yo moves are visually pleasing.

I remember it was very cool seeing Gretchen do the invisible man. (Taking off her shoes and hitting them with the yo-yo, thus giving the appearance of an invisible man walking)
>>
>>144671055
>>144670819
>>144670773
I remember an episode where he wants volunteers the kids to help old folks home. Off the bat you kinda hate Mikey, specifically because he didn't ask them and just sort of did it without the gang's consent.

Each kids goes to a specific old person at first they don't like them, but each old person has stories specific to each kid. On a side note the one that really got me was the old guy TJ hing out with the original creator of his favorite comic book. I remember thinking it was fucked up he ended up with no money, now that I'm older I wonder if it was a Steve Ditko reference.

Anyways it's Mikey who wants to leave, but the kids are having none of it. Turns out Mikey sang tk them but jever asked what they wanted to hear. The episode ends okay when Mikey starts doing requests
>>
>>144669805
On a side note I really like Histler kid. Such a fun concept, and very context sensitive for the episode. Kids need blank, just buy it from Hustler kid.

He inspired me as a kid to buy candy from the ice cream man and sell ot at school to other kids.
>>
File: AJIMBO.png (285 KB, 478x346)
285 KB
285 KB PNG
>>144670848
The Game
First Name Ashley
The Substitute
The Kindergarden Derby
No More School
A Recess Halloween
The Legend of Big Kid
The Economics o Recess
Kurst the Not So Bad
Terrifying Tales of Reccess
Chez Vince
Dance Lessons
Beauty Pageant
Just to name a few.
>>
>>144672048
Tofu Crunchy Creams are kidlicious.
>>
>>144672811
>tfw you actually wanted to try them
>>
>>144671307
This series is fucked. Or at least threads of it are because of that leaked cancelled pitch. Even then this isn't as bad as it could be.
>>
>>144671031
These are the ones I remember too, though I actually couldn't remember most just off the top of my head. Makes me want to rewatch the series, I really remember enjoying it. Especially the whole setting of the school as this bizarre, almost KND-esque society with its own childlike rules and institutions.
>>
>>144672048
My mum did this as a kid. She would tag along to Bulk Barn, buy the most popular candies and sell them at school for ¢10 which was a pretty wide profit margin in the late 1980s.
>>
>>144672922
Part of me is sad that childhood is no longer this Wonderland-esque secret society full of lore passed in schoolyard whispers and giggles. Its and experience iPad kids just can't have anymore especially with how little time kids spend unsupervised these days.
>>
>>144671037
This just doesn't make sense how they ended up together and the excuse just felt out of character.
Spinelli was loyal and would have likely have tried to work with TJ and after making it her problem she wouldn't give up out of stubbornness
>>
>>144671037
>TJ now has to watch Spinelli live happily with her trophy black husband while playing with his virgin white micro cock
He's already moved on to smaller and better things
https://files.catbox.moe/wikerb.png
>>
>>144669805
I forget the name of the episode, but one of my favorites is the one where the moral is essentially "Some people in life just won't like you no matter what you do, it is what it is, so quit stressing about it and move on"
>>
>>144674005
that was an episode of weekenders
>>
>>144669805
I think what this show actually does better is the adults. I likd of like that the movie Prickly explains that eventually kids becomes adults. That he was essentially TJ villain simply because he was a man who went to work that day.
>>
>>144674005
>>144674061
Nobody Doesn’t Like TJ
>>
>>144674354
That's what he was trying to prove.
>>
File: Prince_Randall_HQ.PNG.png (250 KB, 602x452)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
>>144671313
According to the next bell, Randall became the new school principal as an adult. He won at the end
>>
>>144675493
>Hello police
>I'd like to report a 30 yr old T. J Detweiler had been seen hanging out with one of my elementary students. Yes I can hold.
>>
>>144671037
If it makes you feel better TJ is Jewish
>>
>>144671031
>long streak of no rain slowly drives everyone insane much to Finster's delight
pretty sure it was the opposite, a long streak of rainy days(and thus being forced to have Recess inside) slowly driving people nuts

oddly enough not the only time the show did an episode of that nature, also was the time Recess got abolished to fit more standardized testing into the schedule
>>
>>
File: IMG_1349.jpg (72 KB, 960x640)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>144669805
The one that had a substitute that was based on Dirty Harry.

When we learn Gus was a bad ass dodge ball player (Dollars trilogy homage)

When they make fun of Pokémon. “I had a system…..I HAD A SYSTEM!!!)
>>
>>144669805
>>144674183
If you count it as an episode, I really liked the movie. Having TJ and Prickly work together was fun.
Also the movie got me into Three Dog Night.
>>
>>144671037
He gets Prime Gretchen so, it's not all bad.
>>
>>144669805
The one where TJ becomes a millionaire by selling Pokemon cards.
>>
File: 1719680181469879.jpg (44 KB, 367x600)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Her
>>
>>144676986
>When we learn Gus was a bad ass dodge ball player (Dollars trilogy homage)
I don't get it.
>>
>>144677548
I love that style. It reminds me of the '90s or at the very least the design the main character had in the PS1 Digimon game.
>>
>>144669805
Recess was great. I rewatched a few episodes with a friend and they still hold up well. The inherent comedy of taking these meaningless things that were so important to us as kids and blowing them up into massively over the top and exaggerated parodies is still funny to this day.

My favourite episode is probably the one where everyone gets obsessed with trading cards or whatever and TJ goes full Wall Street building an empire with them purely because it's so relatable and because it best encapulates the show's ability to take these childhood interests, obsessions and pastimes and turn them into rather sophisticated parodies of more adult media, stories and ideas without ever alienating their audience.
>>
>>144669805
I just discovered this show THIS year on YouTube and I really enjoyed it. I didn't grow up with it, but it felt nostalgic without any of the modern media bullshit... just some interesting kids having fun in school. My favorite episode was First Name Ashley too. And I love the Ashleys.
>>144671037
>>144671313
I didn't know there was a cancelled reboot. Ruby and adult Spinelli both look very cute. I'm glad she passed down the tomboy genes.
>>
>>144671340
and the few times they aren't clueless or antagonistic, they should intentionally act clueless out of not wanting to be involved (the sgt. schultz to the others' colonel klink)
>>
>>144673922
lol.
You never saw the character in middle school, high school, college and young adulthood.
You assume everyone stays the same as how they were in elementary school?
>>
>>144671159
mikey vaxx status?
doesn't gus troon out too lol
>>
>>144669805
Mine is where Solid Snake was the substitute teacher for the Recess gang and their classmates
>>
File: King_Bob.jpg (157 KB, 1432x1076)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>there's a society of literal savages on the playground that are a danger to the other students
>king bob does nothing about them
>>
As early as September 13th, while other stations were continuing wall-to-wall coverage on the attacks, Boston UPN affiliate WSBK resumed regular programming, which included Recess
https://archive.org/details/WSBK_20010913_110000_Recess
>>
>>144671159
>the other five didn't even know Mikey was fucking dead

They killed off Mikey in the pitch for the sequel?
>>
>>144679099
>trading cards
specifically based on pokemon
>>
>>144680871
The kid who played Mikey died of a diabetic stroke or some shit
>>
>>144670683
>>144671217
The fact that I can't find it myself is pissing me off.
>>
>>144680960
Never mind he overdosed on Fentanyl
I can't even make a joke it's fucked up how many people they've killed
How much longer until we turn China into a parking lot?
>>
It is great and unlike most many Disney cartoons has an actual finale
>>
>>144670683
sauce
>>
>>144673922
it's weird any of them are still together but also somehow successful
anyone who's still in touch with anyone from their elementary school is either born into some kind of rich dynasty and met them due to that, or they're poor as fuck and never left their hometown. especially the time the recess characters would be growing up
>>
>>144680425
Plot twist, Chief Sticky is Bob's little brother.
>>
>>144670683
I too would like to see this
>>
>>144670765
This is pretty correct
>>
Collection of comics here
https://mega.nz/folder/q8l3kLrS#Tk910tlRgJUYPmTQPcOxVQ
>>
>>144672856
Yes.
>>
>>144679099
You’re mixing up and combining two episodes, and I was doing the same before seeing some comments in this thread to be fair.
There’s an episode where everyone gets obsessed with trading cards with TJ being the last to crumble, and there’s another where stickers become the main source of currency where TJ builds his empire starting from nothing.
>>
>>144681513
Thanks anon
>>
>>144679099
>The inherent comedy of taking these meaningless things that were so important to us as kids and blowing them up into massively over the top and exaggerated parodies is still funny to this day.
Also reminds me I really liked Fillmore, though it takes a much different tact to the inherently zanny and exaggerated imagination of elementary schoolers. That is, by making things overly serious like a police drama, though the effect, of heightening the importance of goofy school things, is largely the same.
>>
>>144675766
He's a Fischer type, though.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.