[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>When I write a book, I put everything I have into it; so the more I have, the more the books become. Some people get freaked out by them: mostly the people who believe, mistakenly, that fantasy is about escaping reality.
>To them I say: If you have a problem with reality, you should be spending more time dealing with your life, and less time reading popcorn fantasy.
Animation and comics need to learn more from Matthew Stover.
>>
>>144670750
>Matthew Stover
Didn't he write for Star Wars, the ultimate escapist popcorn fantasy?
>>
>>144670750
>Matthew Stover
I agree with him, but who is this?
>>
>>144671594
Why would you ever agree with someone who wrote for SW?
>>
File: 1714674269247809.jpg (88 KB, 850x400)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Then, on the other hand...

Make no mistake, I think Stover and Tolkien probably have differing definitions of escapism. I think Tolkien thinks of it in terms of expanding your horizon where Stover thinks of it in terms of shutting out reality.

Me, I think fantasy should interrogate reality, warts and all, without being bound to it. It should allow people both to see reality from a different angle, but also to speculate about how things could or should be different. And, as the old saying goes, it should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.
>>
>>144671710
Escaping is for criminals and cowards so this just makes Tolkien cowardly.
>>
>>144671701
A broken clock, anon.
>>
>>144671737
Why would a coward fight in WW1, amerilard?
>>
>>144671737
Sitting things out isn't any braver than escaping them, don't kid yourself.
>>
>>144670750
>Matthew Stover
>Matthew Woodring Stover (born January 29, 1962) is an American fantasy and science fiction novelist. He is most well known for his four Star Wars novels, including the novelization of Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith. He has also written several fantasy novels, including Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon. He has written four science-fiction/fantasy hybrid stories featuring a hero named Caine: Heroes Die, Blade of Tyshalle, and Caine Black Knife, with the most recent, Caine's Law, released April 4, 2012.
This man has no place talking about literature or implying anything about the impact and quality of his own work.
>>
>>144671932
OK, Margaret Atwood.
>>
>>144671740
But he's not right.
>>
>>144672308
Why not?
>>
>>144672320
Outside the fact the fact that he writes for the very he shits on, there is nothing wrong with a little escapism. It's unhealthy to shut out reality but it's disingenuous to say that anyone wanting to fantasy in their lives is reality challenged. Couple this with how grimdark his writing can be, it comes off as him being pretentious and implying darker=realistic.
>>144671710
This anon also makes good points.
>>
>>144670750
I prefer Matthew Ovener
>>
>>144671740
>>144672320
Care to explain why he's so right, never mind that this has nothing to do with animation?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.