[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ap051677521315.jpg (122 KB, 1024x722)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
Don't get me wrong, Calvin and Hobbes is a great strip, but people treat this guy like he's the second coming of Christ even though all he did was put out a single comic strip that lasted not even a decade (if you exclude the sebbaticals) and a book last year that didn't gain much traction.
>>
Yeah it's a cute comic but people act like he was the best strip artist both in terms of writing and art. Walt Kelly's Pogo strikes me as a bettter version of his style.
>>
>>144672285
>overrated
No
>overheated by contrarian zoomers
Yes
>>
>>144672285
He and Calvin and Hobbes are both alright but most of their praise comes from people who haven't read much into the medium of the comic strip. Of course, publishers don't want to make strips accessible and people don't want to buy the overpriced collections they drip feed out.
>>
>>144672380
I don't hate Watterson, I literally said Calvin and Hobbes was great. I'm just wondering why he's worshiped so much
>>
>>144672285
Bill Watterson would just be another dude if he had sold out, but the fact that he didn't go the Garfield route even though he easily could have wins him art integrity points. He's also a crotchety old man who hates celebrity culture, which a lot of anons can relate to.
>>
>>144672285
It a combination of talent, being given leeway to do things his way, and tunnel vision fans. If he had worked in regular comics or had publishers/editors willing to fuck him over he'd been much more obscure.
>>
>playing the old hits
Having some trouble finding new material I see
>>
File: 1666464261594131.png (414 KB, 540x408)
414 KB
414 KB PNG
>>144672285
This shit again?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.