[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 903844894362.png (845 KB, 1170x1072)
845 KB
845 KB PNG
Does Canadian animation get too much of a bad rap?
Somewhere between 2008 and 2016, Cartoon Network imported a lot of Canadian cartoons and most of them, such as Almost Naked Animals and the infamous Johnny Test, were not very good. I think this gave people a bad first impression when it comes to Canadian animation especially if this was their first exposure to it. Which is kind of sad seeing how there are Canadian cartoons that, in my opinion, are very good. Cartoons like Cybersix, Beast Wars, Stickin' Around, and Ed, Edd n Eddy were quality shows that people often don’t mention. What do you think should be done to improve the industry’s reputation?
>>
>>145534870
>What do you think should be done to improve the industry’s reputation?
Support the very few cartoons that get made nowadays and get international distribution
>>
>Yvon of the Yukon has entered the chat
>>
>>145534870
Paw Patrol is Canadian. Make of that what you will. I haven't watched it, but I'm well aware it's massively successful and popular.
Arthur started Canadian, I have no idea if we're still animating it.
A lot of the bad ones you named went out of their way to announce they're Canadian. So you remember them as Canadian. Also the poorly disguised fetishes cemented them in memery so you remember them.
Canada had a lot more experimentation in the 90s that set it apart. So the cartoons that made it internationally didn't look like anything else out there.
There was tons of dogshit tho.
Mega Babies. That little fuck Caillou. Jane and the Dragon.
When we make something terrible, it's spectacularly fuckin terrible.
>>
>>145534870
>Almost Naked Animals
It was aight and worked as a comedy for its target audience of elementary school kids.
When I say it's aight, it's akin to Scaredy Squirrel, Spliced, Jimmy Two-Shoes, and Rocket Monkeys in terms of quality.

Besides I prefer our negative reputation. It acts as a filter so that only those whom believe in the medium would choose at as a career path, hereby making Canadian animation having more hidden gems.
Adam Conover's ilk has reduced influence here compared to that display they made down south.
>>
>>145534870
My waifu was animated in Canada
>>
>>145534870
Caillou is the only thing here that brings the French and English together
>>
>>145534870
Canadian broadcasting is legally required to meet a "Canadian Content" (CanCon) quota, so they actually pay animation studios to pump out slop just to meet those requirements
Cartoon Network and Disney XD presumably grabbed as much of that cheap slop as they could just to fill time slots, which is why it's what we're so familiar with here in the states as opposed to older, supposedly more quality stuff

The image in OP is off putting because of the formating and style it's presented with, but it is not at all inaccurate when it comes to the utter shite the government pays them to pump out
>>
>>145537257
False, I was an elementary schooler and dreaded whenever that shit was on in the morning. Was just pure ugliness and not an aesthetic ugliness, just a bad ugly
>>
>>145537653
Fascinating. I can see now why Canada seemed to have created a lot of low-budget content back in the day. What are the current Canadian cartoons?
>>
>>145537769
Personally, I have no idea
I learned of all this years ago, haven't had access to cable since then
>>
File: 1000008895.jpg (55 KB, 500x375)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>145534870
Anybody watch Jacob Tutu when they were a kid? I remeber enjoying it, it was pretty grounded in reality for a kids show, but still had some exaggerations that spiced it up. I also really likes the character designs and the painterly/sketch backgrounds were really comfy.
>>
>>145537769
Virtually nonexistent because all those channels have either shut down or get by on reruns to fill quotas.
>>
>>145534870
Detentionaire, 6 sixteen, storm hawks anyone? Heck grojband even. We should have a weekly canadian animation general threads. It would be cool.
>>
>>145539568
all kino picks friend
what about stoked?
it was kind of the sister show to 6teen and i recall it being alright but i never see it get mentioned even here
>>145537257
spliced was my favorite as a kid (for some reason)
>>
>>145534870
No. Grew up watching teletoon, Canadian CN. I hated it. The shows were so bad I played outside
>>
>>145537610
Not canadian but english/French
>Tintin
>>
>>145539568
>>145539629
based leaf lovers
>>
>>145538353
I mostly just remember the opening theme, show was mediocre but that song always stuck out as something unique to me.
https://youtu.be/Mnu3dgtmkRU

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.