[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

noticed the sewing thread was gone and i wish to discuss it
>>
File: needles.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2094)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
can someone help me identify these?
from my research on the left is the tapestry needles and darning needles
embroidery on the right
and next to those are my sharps?
i also have betweens and chenilles in here but i cant tell those apart yet
>>
Anyone join a quilting club or guild? I work from home and never leave my house or socialize but enjoy quilting. I'm not sure if I would enjoy doing it socially and have no idea what the vibe would be like.
>>
>>2757873
Try it? It's not like you can't quit if it's not your thing!
>>
>>2757873
i didnt even know that that was a thing?
i also encourage you to try it and report back your results!
>>
anyone else feel like the quality of polyester thread is very "all over the place"
i got one spool of polyester that snaps and unravels on a whim, but another for 50 cents that was tough to snap and held clothing together
the sad part is that it is common though cheap
so i mainly use it to practice with,
what threads do you guys use for your projects?
>>
>>2757873
my mom was in the quilter's guild when i was little, the vibe was married ladies in 40-65 age bracket gossiping while quilting.
if you are a 30 year old single man DO NOT
>>
Anyone have a ~$300 machine they like? My 70's Kenmore only has outer feed dogs on the bottom which makes feeding stretch material harder than it should be, even with a walking foot attachment.
>>
File: 1707520602318206.jpg (1.33 MB, 2352x1568)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
Can I damage my sewing machine by sewing paper? I like small diy sketchbooks for drawing and making them with a machine (especially with a jeans needle) is very quick and easy.
>>
>>2758343
if its one or two sheets of paper your machine should be fine, i saw that there is a paper that you can sew over and then wash out but i never used it or know its actual name
>>
>>2758238
growing up we had a drawer of every cut off piece of material since 1970, it was very kino. as a kid I would use old tee shirts and try to salvage necks or sleeve hems. today I don't have a scrap of anything, nor even old clothes to cut up.
>>
>>2758343
lol reminds me of when i found a video of some woman using cardboard to practice sewing
>>
i just heard someone say that threads sitting on a spool can get old
if they can get old on the spool, then how come they dont get old after you sew with them
>>
>>2758661
the only issue with old thread that I've had (I got a bunch from gamgam) is that old cotton thread will fray over time on the spool which makes sewing with it harder (thread tension, skipping stitches, etc). So if it's already in the clothes then it's not an issue because you aren't having to actively work with it.
>>
File: 1707950248920.jpg (155 KB, 800x600)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
I wanna make a big zabuton with 5 cm thick foam inside. It would have a zipper on one side for removing the foam if I wanted to wash the cover.

What's the best way to draft this? If I want it to be rectangular and blocky then should I have 5 cm tall strips for the sides instead of just adding that to the top and bottom pieces regular pillow style?

How should I handle the zipper in that case? Do I just put it in the seam of either the top or bottom of one of the seams for these 5cm tall strips?

Bear in mind it will be my first zipper, so it's a bit hard for me to visualize. For some reason every commercial pillow and rectangular item I can conjure in my head had the zipper in the middle of the side, which would require two 2.5 cm (+ seam allowances) strips I guess?
>>
https://www.centerstreetquilts.com/the-hemingway-pouch-supply-recommendations/

I don’t want to buy a pattern and I don’t have a printer. Would this just be a big square or rectangle?
>>
>>2759521
Yes, basically--a rectangle, with a diagonal slice for the zipper, that gets inserted, folded, and sewn down the sides. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNvzDElF_T8
>>
>>2758245
He will get gang raped?
>>
File: IMG_20240208_101102.jpg (351 KB, 907x1210)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
Is this fixable ?
It's a Milwaukee backpack if it's relevant.
>>
So no one wants to make the thread proper? OK... guess we got about 3 months before this one dies.
>>
>>2759674
Yes.
>>
>>2759604
yeah mentally
>>
>>2758238
polyester is usually stronger than natural
>>
my buttonhole looks like an axe would now what
>>
>>2760330
wound*
>>
>>2760314
How?
>>
>>2760155
can you elaborate?
i will keep in mind for when i make the next thread
>>
>>2760329
i heard that the quality is all over the place with polyester
i also have an aversion to wearing synthetic fibers because my skin condition calls for natural fibers
>>
Inherited a brother CS600i havnt done anything fancy with it but damn is it easy to use. The needle threader assist is doope. Formerly used a Kenmore 148 which might need a tuning.
>>
>>2760493
I would sew a new 1in nylon strap over/ on to the old one.
Or half ass super glue a patch on the torn area.
>>
>>2761753
>aversion to wearing synthetic fibers
it's just thread though
>>
File: 1681368131747247.jpg (48 KB, 600x315)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
somewhere out there... there are blueprints for a human size/shaped doll stuffed with sponge and wood for a skeleton, and the closest I got is this atrocity. do such blueprints exist? I even remember some anon here on /diy/ promising to make his OC thing, but I think that didn't go anywhere.
>>
>>2762980
what's really fucked up is that's a male skeleton.
>>
File: darn it.jpg (328 KB, 907x1210)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
>>2760493
look up darning dammit

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.