[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: lofiuniplan.png (623 KB, 884x835)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
Looking to get into school to gain a degree in CS but figured that until I have enough money saved up to enter school, I can do the learning (via textbooks) now to prep me for later, so I am wondering;
>1.) Any CS Major or Graduate, what or how would you modify this map?
>2.) Most importantly, I am seeking good college text books that covers these blocks of learning
>>
>>2784932
There’s no way you should be starting theory of computing in 4 year, that’s insane.
Your “calculus” classes should be discrete, not continuous. In fact, *everyone* should first tackle discrete calculus before continuous so they can understand (the pain) a bit better.
>>
bumping for someone who reads my OP and not skim it
>>
>>2784932
>>2784934
Oh, and “intro to programming” shouldn’t be a thing. Programming itself is just a side thing you just do, like a lab where you make trinitrotoluine in chem. CS is about math, not “coding”
It’s like teaching you “how to hold a pen” class for an English major—it doesn’t exist.
CS, conceptually, has a long way to go.
But, not as far as CE—things can always get worse!
>>
>>2784935
Obviously, Knuth’s “discrete mathematics” is a book you should own.
>>
>>2784937
I really appreciate this Anon.
thank you!
>>
The sad thing is that all of 4chan has figured out that /diy/ is the only place you can have an intelligent discussion, no matter HOW FUCKING FAR OFF TOPIC IT CAN BE, so all the children and other assorted morons will follow you here.

THANKS!
>>
>>2784932
> “cyber security”
Roflmao… is this about hiring the black guy from the teen titans to be a bouncer at your country bar?
>>
>>2784937
Sorry, it’s “concrete mathematics”
Discrete is what it’s about.
>>
>>2784942
Thank you for the correction Anon, I appreciate that!
>>
File: cringe.jpg (2.12 MB, 3264x1836)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
>>2784935
>he isn't aware that college is designed to hold students back and stretch their learning out over redundant classes, recycled concepts and holding stations. college is not designed to teach it's designed to milk you for four+ years of tuition and then give you a degree LITERALLY WITHOUT REGARD for if you know the content (meaning you can copy the homework for every course, fail every test and still get a degree).

You want to learn?
1. Pick a language, preferably something that you know something you want to do can be done in.
2. Go to the bookstore (or library) and buy the O'Riellys book on that language. O'Riellys is a publisher that traditionally has an animal drawn in black and white on each cover.
3. Sit down and read the fucking book. Read it from page 1 until there is some concept or trick or application that you absolutely have to try for yourself. If this isn't past 3/4 of the book, if you didn't read every page, if you didn't understand everything then you fail.
4. Implement that thing
5. put the book on the shelf for future reference
6. Continue implementing in the language until you get bored.
7. Start with another language.
>>
>>2784948
Not what I asked for,
But thanks for the bump
>>
>>2784932
if you know what school u wanna enroll in scope out the profs and their chosen books, find the pdfs and their student solutions manual. many just post online. harvard has all their cs stuff online.
if i were you id consider looking at ce stuff as well for fun. cs is dogshit vs ce but youd be hitting math levels like diff eqs. also ffs algebra comes BEFORE calc in all cases.
as for languages i would start as low level as you can get and move up from there. c, asm (like s12, pics or atmel not x86) , then c++, python, js, etc. the path of progression really depends on what you want to do, because learning a language means jack shit if you dont practice it. as for concept classes data structures and algorithms comes after basic c (when i did it we wrote c++ classes to handle numbers with inf digits and so on, known as cs201) then move onto more advanced stuff. operating systems, architecture etc comes around the same year as data structures and algos. Operating System Concepts: Silberschatz, Abraham, Galvin, Peter B., Gagne, Greg was my fav os book.

use the tips above to study other institution progression patterns in order to get your chart straight. warning some course names can be ambiguous between schools.
>>
>>2784991
Thank you Anon
>>
>>2784932
https://ocw.mit.edu/collections/introductory-programming/
>>
>>2785078
I really appreciate it anon, thank you.
>>
>>2784948
forgot the image
>>
>>2785123
no need to post it, I found a list of books but thanks for wasting your time to troll.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (1.81 MB, 3024x4032)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
sharing an update to my OP, just in case anyone else is interested in the same thing.
I have not been able to verify or compare these titles to see if they are the best to use for these subjects, but this is a start.
>>
>>2784932
>>2784932
Do they really not expect you to take at least pre calculus in high school for comp sci nowadays? I did my degree 20 years ago and went to a good school tbf but it was pretty much the expectation that you would hit at least calc 1 first semester. Ideally you took ap calc and could start calc 2. Zoomers are soft
>>
algebra -> precalc -> calc

most unis push alg/precalc first year if u cant pass entrance requirements. now that math is racist im not surprised seeing this confused shit.
>>
>>2785184
Good calc book choice. Add differential equations and optimization methods to your list of math topics for after calc 2.
>>
>>2784932
This is a pretty good resource if you want to chip away at CS:
https://teachyourselfcs.com/

If your plan is to work in industry, I would honestly recommend majoring in a different technical subject like engineering or a natural science, (applied mathematics, physics, chemistry, earth science, etc.) or really anything that interests you, and minoring in CS.

Having a broad education and the ability to see problems from different perspectives will set you apart because, quite frankly, pure CS majors are a dime a dozen nowadays. Most CS degrees also fall into this paradox (which some engineering degrees sort of fall into as well, but that's another matter) where you don't really have an in-depth understanding of the mathematical theory, but at the same time your education is too theory-based to be useful.

Also: soft skills. Skills such as effective communication, time management, and the ability to work as a part of a group are extremely important, and too few recent graduates possess them. One of the best programmers I've ever worked with was a philosophy and math double major: he had the rigorous math background to be able to teach himself CS and pick up new technical concepts on the fly, as well as the ability to clearly define problems and communicate his solutions/work.

Good luck with your studies. It's an interesting field and there are lots of opportunities to get involved in some really cool work.
>>
>>2785184
> python
We’re done here. There’s no hope for the future.
>>
>>2784932
The entire cs50 class from harvard is available for free on youtube, and you can do the assignments and have then graded (by a bot) for free, and have the option to pay for saying you completed the course
>>
>>2785158
> my parents forgot to fuck in a sense of humor

I see.
>>
There's a site called teachyourselfcs
>>
>>2784932
why did you choose the one board with the least CS majors in it? try >>>/mlp/ or >>>/lgbt/
also the whole point of going to school is to learn the theory, if you want a job or are interested in coding learn how to code
>>
>>2785184
is whatever you wrote down for compilers the dragon book? quick lesson, no one in cs calls any book by its actual name. Next thing you're gonna need is the wizard book and k&r
>>
Honestly OP the industry is fucked so proceed with caution. Even if you know your shit it's hard to get your foot in the door with employers. I know several guys who have obtained their degrees, and they're currently applying to hundreds of positions with no reply. If you go into any career thread on /g/ only 10% of the posts will be about actively working people, the rest are venting about job applications.
I've seen the progression of desperation throughout my college years and when I was a senior, there were mobs of people in line for a chance to speak to recruiters at job fairs. I suppose it IS still possible because I did manage to get a job, but you really gotta spend a lot of time working on job interview shit. It is probably just as essential as knowing how to code nowadays.
Sorry, I don't have any advice to avoid this. There are forces at work destroying the middle class. Do your research before committing to this path.

>>2786070
>also the whole point of going to school is to learn the theory
This is untrue just because of the state of the industry. Having a CS degree is as essential as having a pulse. You could maybe get away with no degree if your dad is the owner of the company.
>>
File: effects of pregnancy.png (414 KB, 1002x419)
414 KB
414 KB PNG
>>2784932
>This melinated gentleman asking for academia advise on a tujikistani moat building forum
Here you go my autistic child:
https://4chan-science.fandom.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
https://4chan-science.fandom.com/wiki/Programming_Textbook_Recommendations

Many schools have their courses for free online.
>verification not required
>>
>>2784932
>Looking to get into school to gain a degree in CS but figured that until I have enough money saved up to enter school, I can do the learning (via textbooks) now to prep me for later, so I am wondering;
>>1.) Any CS Major or Graduate, what or how would you modify this map?
I studied comp sci and also medicine.

I see a chart like this and I think to myself "wow this is a notably organized person wanting to go into a legendarily disorganized field" -- you sure you don't want to do medicine or get a Phd in some science? Ignoring the academics seems like it would suit your personality better.

You seem a super organized person and computer science nerds, we're a very very disorganized folk. Your competition in these classes aren't planning every next step, they're probably not even planning the next week or even day, but what they love to do is sit in the basement and code all day. Your competition is probably coding right now, not to out-compete you, not to be the best, they just love writing assembly games for the Atari 2600 as a hobby, and that level of joy and intensity inadvertently makes them the best.

Or, go into a field where your immense organization skills, themselves, make you the best.

Food for thought, do as you will.
>>
>>2787384
god

DAMN
>>
>>2784932
Planning this much? You're doing it wrong. Reading books? You're doing it wrong. CS comes exclusively from drive and hobbyism. You should be coding things that you find cool right now. Doing bullshit planning is a waste of time. If you aren't already coding you should find another career path, one study intensive. CS favors natural aptitude.
>>
>>2785231
Zoomers arent soft, schools hold them back for the most retarded students.
>>
>>2784932
why do you want to study computer science? you don't seem to like math much considering you are spending your entire first year without a real university-level math course and you don't even do linear algebra until 3rd year, which tells me you have 0 intention of taking a real math course at any point. just study electrical engineering or do a diploma in programming at community college. im afraid you may be falling prey to a decades=spanning marketing campaign
>>
>>2790305
>If you aren't already coding you should find another career path, one study intensive. CS favors natural aptitude.

This because you would be competing against people for whom (at least early on) coding is a joy and a hobby. The purpose of work is sufficient money to RETIRE and there are still many ways to do that but not by following the herd off a cliff.
>>
>>2790335
Logic flaw. Zoomers are still soft; you are just arguing they are not born that way but are created soft by ridiculous educational policy. But even then typical zoomer crybaby bullshit. We live in a time of unprecedented information access and those classes are available at basically every decent public high school in america. But crybaby zoomers will sit around crying about how the educational system failed them and demand the criterion be made easier to accommodate them instead of studying. Unis will happily bend to them because they want their 200k tuition. I went to a shit rural high school. I studied in the library and looked online (circa 2001) when I was struggling with calc and I was able to figure it out. Now they have endless youtube videos explaining things in minute detail, khan academy, wolfram alpha, chatgpt, reddit, etc, but unless it’s spoonfed, highly structured, and forced by some external factor 95% of them won’t do it
>>
>>2784932
Recent software engineer grad; I don't understand the point of learning this before you enroll.

Unless you have a specific niche interest in low level programming for example you wouldn't need to actually learn all this before hand. Don't get me wrong it is useful, and I feel that my courses on most of these subjects were useful however not nearly as much as actually programming.

What you'll start to realize as you start actually working on projects is that very rarely will you actually implement many of the things your learning about. you'll almost always have some sort of abstraction which is what you will really use in applications as opposed to the barebones implementations. In my opinion youll learn best from just trying challenging projects and finding the best solution (including the stack) and make sure you understand why it's being done that way. Skills aside, this will help you build a knowledge base of different languages/frameworks which will be used in your job or other projects. You'll pick up most of the theory along the way. I also find it's much easier to grasp the theoretical concepts if you can relate it to real applications of the theory being applied.

Learning platforms is also important. I would switch to Linux as your daily OS and learn about how it actually works through trying different things. Cloud is also important as aside from embedded code, things are moving towards micro service based cloud applications. Learning to work with things like AWS is going to be really useful for finding a job or even working freelance as it simplifies things if leveraged properly

> Inb4 didn't answer question
That being said to answer your question, the program map does look good and follows relatively closely to what I was doing. Math is normally easier if you really do it sequentially (without big year gaps) so would suggest that.
>>
>>2784932
Do not waste your time taking pre-calc. If you're decently intelligent you can pass calc 1 and 2 with just basic algebra knowledge going into them. I know because I did it and it wasn't that bad. If you know you're not smart enough to do that I'd give up now because it only gets worse from there.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.