[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: DSC_0385.jpg (3.09 MB, 4000x3000)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
How should i begin doing taxidermy work by myself. What tools do i need? Are there any good textbooks on the subject?
>>
>>2787815
the photo is on its side sorry
>>
File: IMG_3128.jpg (2.54 MB, 3000x4000)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>
>>2787816
well you start with a dead animal. have you a source for dead animals? dead animals that have minimal damage? e.g. no shotgunned squirrels. you know how to skin right? have you ever killed anything? skinned anything? you can go down to the pound and get some stray cats that have been euthanized for practice.

next, what is your familiarity with scraping and curing hides? how many have you done? if you can't do it right with a flat hide you'll never make it with taxidermy. start with skinning and curing 10 cat pelts from the pound and then you might be ready for a book on taxidermy. the good news is all the salt, glycerine and tools should translate directly to the first steps. you can turn the skinning boards into bases if you're done with just turning dead cats into pelts.

after the taxidermy it's sculpture time, selecting the proper materials and framework, basing if it's small. It's the sort of thing you don't get into if you aren't already hunting and fishing all the time with family, so I think maybe you should buy a nice 3d printer and just skip the whole dead cat scene.
>>
>>2787815
Googly eyes are the patricians choice, just saying.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.