[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: s-l1600.jpg (167 KB, 901x1600)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
I'm trying to learn how to pick locks because I've always thought it was cool, but mostly because my friend and I have to get into a locked place and I thought the skill of picking locks could be very useful. I HAVE ZERO intentions of using lock picking for illegal things like burglaries or anything related, any tipsandtricks?
>>
Best to start with a beginner kit to get the feel of it, then work your way up to more complex ones.
Kits let you remove or add pins as well, so you can start with the simplest lock with two straight pins, then three, then four, etc.
And once you get good, then you can switch them out for security pins.

The whole skill is based on "feel," so the trick to learning is to start with very easy locks in order to develop the knowledge and understanding of what you're feeling for.
Then once you start to understand what you're feeling, you advance to more complex locks, where the feel is more subtle.
The kits let you do that.
>>
>>2788442
YT lockpickinglawyer
>>
>>2788445
Thank you!
>>
>I HAVE ZERO intentions of using lock picking for illegal things like burglaries or anything related

Coughcoughbullshitcoughcough
>>
>>2788442
All locks are intentionally very easy to pick due to government controls over lock strength.
Same reason body armor is banned in many places.
When the cops want to get in, they can.
Same kind of thing with crypto strength. All crypto must be a know , unaltered algorithm and encoding. For obvios reasons.
>>
>>2788442
Pretty much every car over 10 years old can be opened using a slim jim tool, 2011-2021 Hyundais and Kias can be started using only a flathead, and most police/taxi and surplussed crown vics are fleet keyed. Most telephone entry system panels are keyed alike and can be tripped open using a magjumper. Some old electronic pistol safes can be shimmed open using a credit card. Most house doors can be raked open. The pin and tumbler core on your front door can probably be raked open in less than 10 seconds. Also most slash hung can be shimmed with a stick of high gauge sheet steel and some leverage.
>>
>>2788442
buy a box of locks off ebay and literally any lockpick set to get started
covert instruments is a good place for tools
try searching for "lock sport" when buying locks
>>
>>2788661
>buy a box of locks off ebay and literally any lockpick set to get started

Buy the lock picks first and get free locks while practicing...
>>
>>2788442
It’s not as useful as a skill as you think.

I have the covert companion, other folding picks, and a whole bunch of professional lifetime warranty picks

Picking locks are really only useful for locks that you can just attack with a bolt cutter…

Anything really high security tends to have para key ways and or anti-pick features that make the lock picking more time consuming than the bolt cutters

I’m not talking about counter rotations and false sets, I’m talking more about pin lockouts so if you try to pick the lock and rotate it without the key it rides the shear line until it drops into a hole and you have to take apart and rebuild the lock to get it working again…

Also the lock picking lawyer disc detainer lock is fucking huge and isn’t something you can carry on your persons

And also it’s a viral YouTube channel

So if you’re picking some guys bike lock everybody and their mother knows what you’re doing since bois Ian bill and lock picking lawyer had like 35millon views together

It’s a fun party trick tho
>>
>>2788691
I learned while a locksmith was going to school, since in order to become a locksmith you have to learn how to pick, for lockouts.

Last time I white nighted with lock picking my lil bro got a tool roll around from the thrift store, where the lock was set to lock the door and the door was opened from prying and he had no key. So I picked it so he could close the door and not lock it. Didnt even have my picks on me. I just picked it using random shit he had around.
>>
>>2788615
>Lock
>Body armor
Interesting, there's a reason why I hate the government.

>crypto
How about Monero?
>>
>>2784263
>>
>>2788442
Kind of old doc:
https://archive.org/details/the-complete-guide-to-lockpicking

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.