[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mommysexo.png (1.77 MB, 1200x678)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB PNG
Hurr durr shipping container homes are a bad ide-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAKY7OWP3rA
>>
File: 20240223_182527.jpg (108 KB, 676x672)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>2789592
buy an ad
>>
File: shippingcontainers.png (1.67 MB, 1237x718)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
you will live in ze metal box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO8GP56fQCo
>>
>>2789592
imagine having to leave your house to get to a different room in your house when it's raining and cold outside
>>
>>2789602
imagine being so sheltered and out of touch this seems like a monumental hurdle to you
>>
>IM THE MAN IN THE BOX
>>
>>2789604
The only problem really is the retarded roof, doesn't properly shelter the walk between the spaces from rain. Kinda milfy though, maybe i should visit tasmania.
>>
>>2789602
Imagine someone failing to understand how easy internal doors etc are to add to containers. They're quite easy to weld and all you need is your hot lead since the power source can ground to the shell.

Two-storey homes are a mistake though since stairs guarantee an eventual fall and those are dangerous to old people like the owner. Failure to build for old age is foolish.
>>
File: epn-ruiz-1.jpg (29 KB, 850x530)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
i actaully think they can be usefull just not in that meme fashion putting them togetether

the best most effective ways to use them is
make a small appartment in them and ship them to small lots or property on a trailer
being always able to movie it
otherwise its a meme

but placing one shipping container is allowed on any lot with no permit
also a shop
and probably the best use
turn into coffee shop restaurant drive thru
>>
when you own land
you try to see what you can do withought permits
usually a small shed
a shipping container
the bigger the property like 40 acres
means you can have like 10 of them
>>
just rich people things
>>
>>2789649
Shit take
Basements are based hence the name
>>
>>2789733
You didn't make a case for having one tho. Autism is not a case.

>>2789698
How many do you personally own and if none why do you permit yourself an opinion? Your comment re: permits implies the law is identical everywhere.

Containers make great shops which is what mine are used for. They make good homes if you are Andrew Camaratta. If you want a conventional home build one.

There is nothing to invent and there is no magical poorfag housing solution. If you're poor it's because you personally are a loser piece of shit who should an hero instead of dreaming you could ever not be a piece of shit. You have no housing solution except Section 8.
>>
>>2789637
It's more in line with general Australian home design, we like to have the house open to the elements more and an outdoor space like a deck, especially modern design.
American boomer castles seem to be more about insulating everything against the outside world as much as possible, which admittedly does make sense with your colder winters
>>
>>2789592
A lot of the times these shipping container homes are fads and cost more than just hiring Mexicans to slap together a stick and stucco shelter

Rich people cosplaying to make Airbnb properties
>>
I don’t know where people are finding shipping containers that actually keep the economic principles you want with the concept of a shipping container home. They always show these ones with brand new containers and hardware, fresh paint, etc.
I work with shipping containers all day, the only 40’ ones you’d be able to get for 2-3 grand are 20+ years old and absolutely clapped out. The only reason anyone ever sells them is when the container itself has lost some major structural integrity and can no longer be economically repaired.
Equipment age guidelines apply to the chassis, the box can be a dilapidated piece of shit as long as the chassis is under 10 years old.
I’ve seen these things with huge gouges in them, the entire container twisted, holes all over the god damn place, huge dents, half the floor made of patches that can’t hold a forklift, parts of the floor braces actually missing so it’s just loose wood boarding in there.
Holes letting in water, god knows what spilled in there. The buildup of garbage that gets compacted into the nose over time.

Show me a container house made with actual cheap containers. Stuff they can’t pick up with a crane anymore, containers that are really cost effective to DIY into a house.
>>
>>2789600
dystopic
>>
>>2789592
>128 000 usd
couldnt you buy a normal small house with that money?
>>
This fad is already years out of date, the price of containers has increased dramatically. If you want a truly cheap way to put walls up you need to look at the tried and true ancient DIY methods like cob, clay brick or rammed earth.
>>
>>2789756
Its like you want snakes and spiders to eat you
>>
File: 1687481926804495.jpg (81 KB, 1080x530)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>2789649
>>2789604
it is a monumental task you ding dongs. it's not as simple as cutting a hole in the wall and adding a door. the structural strength of a shipping container is build into its walls so you have to reinforce the wall of the container in any point you add a doorway.

which cuts into it's "cost effectiveness" to the point where it's not any cheaper than stick built

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7yEDz6bCfU
>>
>>2789592
>retrofitting a metal box into a home
As a construction engineer, this is fucking retarded.
There's cheaper ways to build homes that don't require this amount of labor.
>>
File: shed.png (248 KB, 367x367)
248 KB
248 KB PNG
>>2789592
Forget shipping containers, how easy is it to turn a Home Depot shed into a viable temporary living place while building a real house?
>>
>>2790206
>viable temporary living place while building a real house
>no electric, no plumbing, no HVAC
not easy and it would be stupid crampt.
>>
>>2789754
You seem like a happy person.
>>
>>2790031
In many places including my flyover state, this price would get you a pretty shitty house or something nicer with free gunfire included.
>>
>>2790172
>the structural strength of a shipping container is build into its walls
The structural strength of a shipping container is irrelevant when it is not holding a stack of other containers, and even then the corners take almost all of the load.
>>
>>2789649
>Using ground mass as neutral
Boy oh boy are you going to find out.
>>
>>2789592
>>2790031
>>2790244
128k for that is a ridiculously marked up price
>>
>>2789600
>>2789863
>your human body isn't just another product to be relocated at the government's leisure
at least they're making it obvious
>>
File: 8pack.jpg (112 KB, 900x675)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>2790241
I am, but fools annoy me. The container discussions are rarely about seriously using them. Why do you imagine that is?

They're divided between people who don't know how to use them hating them and advocates who don't actually own one or have any experience yet insist on having opinions based on nothing at all.

>>2790185
Agreed, that was the wrong way to use them. Containers certainly can work but artfags are pollution and merit gassing.

>>2790249
Strength is quite relevant from the POV of storm resistance. Forces that smash pole buildings are shrugged off by containers including mine. The world is a very bad place.

>>2790260
Grounding a welder to the shell by its ground lead while welding is no different than grounding to a rail car or barge or metal trailer deck when welding and those are done thousands of times daily worldwide. I do not connect neutral power wiring to the shell nor does the welding power source remain powered when not in use.

Attaching the ground lead to the shell is the only way to weld containers and many other large objects made of metal. Consider mankind's largest weldments, shipping. Shore power goes to multiple welding power sources, often in "eight packs" thence to multiple sets of welding leads all of whose grounds are to that same ship.
>>
>>2790915
If you’re this butthurt then why not just skip these threads? If I got this mad over shit I would avoid it. Same reason I like some subreddits but avoid the comment sections because they’re usually pure cancer.
>>
>>2790946
Because details educate and everything I post is accurate. That will be useful for the tiny few who actually put containers to work here and there are at least three.
>>
>>2790212
Electric would be easy if you already have power on site because all you really need for a temporary setup is an extension cable and a power strip. HVAC would be limited to portable heaters or AC units which aren't great but are usable. $10 worth of Great Stuff would seal it up pretty well, though sealing the door may be a challenge since they're usually not built to seal shut like the door in a house. Plumbing would be impossible to do in a practical manner. Overall you would stink like a hobo but unlike a hobo you'd be dry and warm.
>>
>>2790970
>all you really need for a temporary setup is an extension cable and a power strip
And you're limited to a grand total of 20A, but realistically only a % of that.
>portable heaters or AC units
You've eaten up most of your amperage on your wal-mart power strip.
>Great Stuff would seal it up
Not even the best option of all the redneck fuck ups you could pick off the shelf at lowes.
> Plumbing would be impossible to do in a practical manner
At this point, I'm surprised you're not shitting in the corner since you're being a shut-in heathen about the rest of it.
Please never go into construction or attempt to build your own house. It would go horribly.
>>
>>2789602
Ah! There's a country where that's traditionally common but I can't remember which one!

Like they tend to have a central kitchen and dining building and a courtyard type area, then they have living spaces as satellites around. It was Iceland or Finland or Norway or something.

iirc, Japan also had a design like this with some of its old manors. There weren't hallways within the building. The rooms were all connected via a covered porch that encircled the central open-air courtyard, so you technically had to go outside to go from one room to the other.

They didn't used to have central heating back then, so the only rooms that were really warm in the winter anyhow were the ones with fireplaces.

Oh, and that's a lame container building design. You can well the things together and cut passages between them easily and avoid having to go outside at all.
>>
>>2790970
>Electric would be easy if you already have power on site because all you really need for a temporary setup is an extension cable and a power strip.

The smart play (all DIY problems have been solved by someone else so find who does that well then copy success) is to have an outdoor service panel on your pole with 240 and 120V outdoor outlets before you even place whatever you plan to use for structure, so I did that for one of my shops.

Then you can run SOOW cable etc plugged into the 240V outlet to feed welders, compressors etc and run little shit like lights off the 120V breakers until you fit a subpanel in your structure, so I did.

>>2790970
>Plumbing would be impossible to do in a practical manner.

Instant water feed is easy using farm grade (never buy shit green garden hose because it doesn't last thus costing more over time) garden hose, garden hose thread brass adapters etc for flexible plumbing. Hose is easy to shorten, splice, fit tees etc to and of course place inline valves by using brass hose barbs, so I do.
For example when my washer feed to my garage blew out (last owner did a shit PVC job) I bypassed all that with farm grade hose in about a half hour and when my back permits will replace the buried pipe with pex or perhaps just bury the hose (after potting the metal parts in epoxy as they can corrode). I've had farm grade hose outdoors for ten years without degradation.

If I needed emergency hot water I'd connect a temporary hot water heater the same way. Mine already has garden hose fittings and gate valves from my recent heater replacement so I can either have hot or cold water outdoors (hot water pressure washing is nice) or if working in house shut off the house feed and have hot and cold water for showering via more hose.

Just like on deployments you can set up "temporary" systems which last many years. It's all quick and easy given some forethought, so I did. If I needed temp shop heat or AC or both those are easy to run.
>>
>>2790172
>it is a monumental task you ding dongs. it's not as simple as cutting a hole in the wall and adding a door. the structural strength of a shipping container is build into its walls so you have to reinforce the wall of the container in any point you add a doorway.

You clearly never studied containers so stow your ignorance. Container doors are a long-solved problem like everything else but apparently no one looks for real examples.Container strength is a combination of design features and cutting personnel doors is standard practice.

Container personnel door frames exist to join door to sidewalls or end wall or an end door. Place door on stands of choice, or a couple of steel drums etc. Cut suitably wide angle to frame door, and use shims between frame and door to set clearance so you can open the door after install.

Pieces of angle or flat bar bridging door (with hinges attached) to frame can be clamped to frame set door/frame relationship. Weld frame and tack weld hinges at the easy areas then lift frame off to weld the rest. Weld a lifting eye or two to the top of the frame so you can lift it and slide into its hole. Zip disks, recip saws, a 00 tip on a torch or ideally a plasma cutter make short work of holes.

If your man door is in an end door, choose the end door on the side the other end door holds closed. A simple bracket and pin to the floor can hold your end door with personnel door firmly closed (necessary because the two locking bars on that door must be removed to install and use the man door). None of this was difficult.
>>
>>2790206
isnt that illegal
>>
>>2791215
In some places but in much of the country if you're outside of an incorporated municipality, you could upgrade one of the larger sheds enough to get a habitation permit. You'd probably have to spend as much as the price of the shed itself to upgrade it to a point where the county would approve you living in it. Of course you can always try doing it stealth. If you're off the beaten path, it's far from impossible.
At some point you have to ask if it's worth spending the money on something you view as temporary housing. Might as well just lease a mobile home for a year while your actual home is being built.
>>
>>2791204
run lights off 24v. Use a stepdown from 120 to 24v
>>
Simp
>>
File: kargo cin.jpg (290 KB, 1920x1440)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
Would you watch kino here?
>>
>>2789811
^This but the point of a container is mostly not poorfaggotry. The crap containers you describe are of course the most common but it's easy to buy from a seller who lets you choose your specific container so I do.

When helping my bro (who now has three to support his classic car habit) we went to the lot, chose containers then photographed the data tags to be sure he'd get what he chose. When ordering my two WWT boxes I was very specific with the seller that I would refuse to pay for a box with any major damage. Reputable sellers go payment on delivery so it's in their interest not to piss off customers.

After those I switched to one-trip grade since a few grand difference is not a big deal for my very specific use case. My motorcycles now life in dust and insect-free environments which because container vents are small lets a small dehumidifier keep them bone dry. With doors on both ends I can ride in, through and out.

The best way to buy WWT/condemned for maritime use is scoring those which failed due to bad end door gaskets but are not much otherwise damaged. Then because gravity causes water to flow past the failed end door gaskets I welded a piece of angle (flat bar is fine too, I use what I have where appropriate) between the corner fittings leaving sufficient room to open the doors. That deflects all the water which would run inside the top outboard away from the end doors.

>Show me a container house made with actual cheap containers.

There are some on spewtube but they took more work than I care to do.
Were I poor then I would since for a house I could just completely seal the end doors after installing a man door in one of them. I would not weld them shut so I could open them one day easily if needed.

Inspiration lives on sites like https://www.seabox.com/products/category/containerized-shelters

>>2790045
Now they're receding in some areas but container prices are regional and cyclic as is all maritime trade.
>>
>>2791329
Whatever works for your specific use case. Roof-mounted solar is an easy option since you can weld support frames to elevate the panels and aim as desired.

I don't pay enough for electricity to bother with solar as other than backup but if I get bored enough I'll do it that way for easiest erection, mods and maintenance.

My subpanel runs off the aforementioned power pole outdoor panel and was installed at leisure. Shit's easy since containers are basically a single-wide MH format with the option to weld on more. I love the things as they're ideal for metalworkers.
>>
File: AM Corb.png (258 KB, 750x361)
258 KB
258 KB PNG
>>2789592
I fucking hate shipping containers. I studied architecture and every student does some shipping container house. It's like a rite of passage to make something fucking awful because you have no talent. It's peak leftism. The idea that humanity can be consolidated down to modular systemised units. Yeah that's how i want to live, as a piece of storage "a house is a machine for living" indeed, fuck you.

The real joke is the dimensions are terrible and everyone who deals with them on Grand Designs or whatever ultimately makes compromises where they join containers or do some other kind of subversion to make it livable but whats the point, at that point. You could just make a house with a steel exterior. It's the novelty, no one else does it but no one else does it because its fucking retarded. I'm sure someone sells big corrugated steel, just use that and cut the bullshit
>>
>>2792221
Containers are not for conventional housing and you should laugh at people who want them for that. They are for specialty structures like military and oil patch deployed housing and industrial structures like:

https://www.seabox.com/products/detail/SB866.0.PLSMMS-mobile-machine-shop

Forget conventional housing, forget art, forget esthetics, that is not what they are for. They are a rugged single-wide (unless welded together which is easy or bolted together with welded flanges, also easy) spaces quite suitable for deployment-style living as I've lived in industrial container shelters.

They OTOH work fine for unconventional housing while building something else or for people who simply do not care (not all of us are gay). The steel exterior is not for decoration so you miss that point in (this) discussion which is purely utilitarian. Artfag containerfags get the rope but art is not cold-blooded pragmatic industrial function.

Steel industrial building kits which often incorporate containers for utilitarian uses (my Steelmaster is separate but it's a smallish one) are also proven.

People who successfully use containers should not trigger rage (a weakness) in those who emotionally resent container because they're unable to understand their uses.

https://www.steelmasterusa.com/quonset-huts/kits/shipping-container-cover-roofs/

The internal dimensions (especially of 2+ High Cubes) joined work fine for shop, office, industrial or military living space which is why they are used for that across the globe. Their success is indisputable and they have long succeeded in demanding conditions.

Containers done correctly do answer OPs use case as they answer mine which is why I use them and will add more to my four HCs so far.

Your posited use case is not what OP was asking about. They are not the same. It seems intensely difficult for people triggered by esthetics to understand why and where containers are used successfully.
>>
>>2792284
For example variations on this style are common.

My bros machine shop has outstanding climate control (with zero insect or dust intrusion) by doing similar and machine tools are far more sensitive than meatbags.

https://www.seabox.com/cutsheets/SB3352.pdf

We mounted his door like one of mine in one of his end doors. Mine are merely dehumidified since I have conventional homes on the same lot, but if those got hurricaned or burned down I'd call in an empty 40' HC and camp out immediately, running it off the panel currently feeding three other HCs.

I prefer mine not to look inviting since I spend no time looking at them but plenty working IN them. That's no worse than say shipboard living and with far more usable space than most private boats.

It is easy to live in a workshop. Before containers it was common to build a small shop/shack to live in while building a home as my uncle did. The difference is a bed, cooking gear and however you choose to shit (one person cannot shit enough to matter as anyone with large dogs knows already though I don't crap on my lawn).

An outhouse works fine and before the faggots are triggered they are legal in many areas. Those who have never PERSONALLY built any of this stuff should recuse themselves. If working on an existing house one can tie into or dump into it's septic. Other choices include RV-style blackwater tanks then dumping those elsewhere on the property in a slit trench then burial.

See military field sanitation pubs for various tested proven option. The armed forces have solved "living anywhere" long ago. The equivalent of a military "soakage pit" is the rural practice of keeping kitchen and wash water out of small septic tanks or pit latrines by piping that gray water out to for example a clump of bushes. Blackwater systems are thus unburdened.

If you view containers as camping rather than some attempt at white picket fenced suburbia or some stupid kids art project you can understand their success.
>>
>>2792293
Some 2x examples showing width thus obtainable since visuals are worth a thousand words:

https://www.falconstructures.com/blog/air-force-shipping-containers-ensure-security

How much wall you leave between depends on if walls store more stuff than open space for your desired application but it shows why my two joined HCs are ample for welding and machining. (Since 4chan is intensely spergy and triggered by anything not immaculate I am not posting mine which work for a living.)
>>
>>2789699
in my state, you need a permit just to put a shipping container on your property
>>
>>2792322
im in california
your allowed one on a like 1 acre lot
and it goes up incrementaly on the size
like 40 acres you can put i think 10 withought a permit

just dont tell anyone what they have inside
this is what fucks you over
but most states allow them because they are like a car and have no foundation
>>
File: ssss.jpg (99 KB, 597x663)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>2789811
ok so yes and no
you are correct
but it was a possible meme at one point
around 2000 to 2010
shipping containers were abought 700 900 bucks, used that is
also if you are good with construction welding
they are not very hard to refurbish
you cut a hole for a window and you can paint the whole thing too look brand shiny new like a car

it used to be possible
even easier if you lived near a port
they were not hard to get

but then millenials started this whole shipping container meme
they went up in price for used containers and know yes you cant get them for anything less than 2 3 k
also things like air bnb niggers
also shipping industry problems have made it even more expensive and know officially a meme home
same with vans and earthships
>>
again like i said the best use of these is their portability

also people on this thread are forgetting another use

solar
you can put like a ton of panels on it
put the equiment inside and its portable
also not required by law to get solar permit shit
i have land and in my state california
you dont need a permit for a shipping container
>>
File: 58.30_SL1.jpg (20 KB, 299x384)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
i will also add container air conditioned rooms are very much in use

all construction companies have a container office
witha window like with gates on it
and an ac unit
its like mandotory in all job sites
they look rreally nice
its like a office with nice air
>>
>>2789592
>>2789600
Worse than just constructing things yourself from panels.
>>
>>2791342
Using condemned containers is severe artfaggotry because they continue deteriorating. Builders should use one-trip or new boxes, preferably new custom units designed as modular building components in the first place. Container makers do custom work all the time and make many different styles besides the original dry box.
>>
>>2792390
Not for the same result. You seem to think the sole goal is cheap enclosed space not a specific capability of the structure. I don't use containers for my machine shop just for cost and extreme convenience, the main reason is they are nearly completely sealed in a way conventional structures are not so I can protect my tools and motorbike collection in an effectively dehumidified and insect-free (fuck dirt daubers) space.

I couldn't buy the steel to fab a container-sized structure to those specs for the cost of a one-trip container, and then I'd have to lay hundreds of feet of weld bead after cutting and positioning the parts for which I'd need a suitable shop facility, plus corrosion treat it etc etc.

Unlike a conventional building I can easily inert my containers in case of fire before one becomes a total loss. I'm still hunting a used kitchen fire suppression system but have a full sized CO2 industrial cylinder fire extinguisher to inert each one (which I snagged for pocket change at auction).
My shielding gas cylinders (which can live inside because they hold inert gases) will also work.

Containers are designed to smother most internal fires without assistance because they are inaccessible if they are in the hold of a ship. That's not a feature of conventional construction.

No matter what shop or house you have be able to defend it. I'm a smoke detector and fire extinguisher save so I hunt cheap industrial extinguishers, some of which are worth buying for the cylinder carts (which work fine with welding gas cylinders) alone.
>>
>>2789592
I can get a 3 bedroom house for that kind of money. Wtf is this trash?
>>
>>2789754
Basements are good for tornados
>>
>>2791204
>have an outdoor service panel on your pole with 240 and 120V
not a bad suggestion, but what if there is no pole, and the utilities are burred?
>>
>>2792589
Then you pay for the standard connection to your permitted outdoor power panel. Those have holes on the bottom too. Trench to your location etc per code which you checked when you got your power arranged with the company. Normally a licensed electrician inspects either and stickers it then the power company activates their meter after plugging it in.
>>
>>2789592
$128,000 pretty sure you could build bigger, better framed house, without the weird issues, and still have money left over to buy a couple Containers for storage, or put two on ground with 20ft between them as basis for 2 car garage, with upper elevated patio on the big roof.
>>
>>2792620
128 is retarded. Containers are for gearheads to make shops of or to use as singlewide rugged MH.

Artfags should be gassed.
>>
>>2789604
>sheltered
Kek
>>
>>2789698
BOXABL has all the portability without being a soulless shipping container though.
>>
>>2790206
A tent would be cheaper, easier and almost as comfortable
>>
>>2793415
>BOXABL

And will cost accordingly so if you want a conventional house then build or buy a conventional house in the first place, or get the most square footage for the buck and buy a single wide mobile home.

Mobile homes ARE the solution to cheap but quite acceptable affordable housing if you have the money. If you lack the money then dream cheaper.
>>
>>2793420
Military tents last many years on deployed locations, have much more room and are more comfortable thanks to the additional space.
>>
>>2789592
they are retarded, the amount of steel you pay for is over priced especially when you gotta modify for windows doors and insulation.
>>
>>2790206
you can make a better shed with a welder and metal and still be cheaper, now if you go full wood even cheaper.
>>
>>2793791
>the amount of steel you pay for is over priced

Depends on location and what steel the build can score. My personnel doors were 50 bucks a door for unused industrial steel doors and under 150 per door for new angle. About $40 per door for sealant (now using Dow U418 which is less expensive.)

I barter computer work with one supplier for steel sometimes and that makes it trivially cheap. Many small businesses get raped by computer shops (like the asshole who kept all the install media for my supplier).

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.