[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

My shower in a 5 year old UK house has worked for years without issue, for the last 6 months it has been losing significant (50%-75%) water pressure after the first couple of minutes of running.

I've removed the shower unit from the wall so I'm just blasting water straight out of the pipes in the wall and have the same issue, good pressure for a short duration then very weak, so the shower unit is not to blame.

The tap on the sink maintains 100% pressure indefinitely. I have another bathroom and the shower there maintains 100% pressure indefinitely, as do the sink and bath taps, so it isn't a boiler issue.

There are no obvious signs of a leak.

Can anyone provide advice on how to find the problem?
>>
>>2790194
My first guess is there is a clog somewhere that allows water to fill up the pipes and then once the pipes are drained, the water has to go through that clog and that is slowing it down. Try investigating the pipes from the water source to the shower. You said the faucet works fine so it's not the water pump most likely. Unless it is, and it can handle small amounts of water but is slowing down because of age with large amounts of water. But I would start with pipes that feed the shower.
>>
>>2790229
This is my guess as far as I had one, don't don't know how to go about fixing it. I've looked into the pipework but see nothing. Do I bite the bullet and buy a snake of some sort, then just shove that in as far as I can and hope it hooks abd drags something out?

Thanks for the help lad
>>
>>2790238
Maybe? If there's a clog it will be minerals and such so hard to remove. Depending on how much pipe there is, it might be worth putting new pipe in. It could fix the issue completely or do literally nothing. Maybe try tapping it and seeing if you can find a spot that sounds more solid than it should, that could be a clog.
>>
>>2790194
By "shower unit" do you mean the shower head?

If you have a constant-temperature mixer, it could be defective.
>>
>>2790245
I'll give that a go, cheers. When I get paid I'll grab one with a clamp and one with a brush and try them both

>>2790259
No, I removed the whole shower, it's one of these bar types. It just has two pipes feeding in, one hot one cold from the boiler. So I took the shower off completely and just had two pipes sticking out of the wall, it still had the pressure issue
>>
>>2790284
I should have done the googling part before responding. I have a mixer shower, I took this off entirely
>>
>>2790194
ok you mention a boiler and picture a mixer so assuming this is a hot water fed shower not electric
>I've removed the shower unit from the wall so I'm just blasting water straight out of the pipes in the wall and have the same issue
what part did you remove? you say pipes so assuming you have removed the mixer and have two pipes, a hot and a cold, which one is losing pressure?
dont mention anything at all about the boiler set up, 5 year old house or 5 years since you bought it?
i dont think they put water tanks in new builds but for example an old house with one tank fed shower might lose pressure when the tank drains and its only hot fed.
i can only assume your bath taps (which run properly) are just below the mixer,probably teed off, it would be very unusual to have some obstruction that affects one but not the other
you haven't provided any detail on the shower, boiler, heating system, pipe size, what floor your on (each shower) all could have some input into the issue.
the easiest solution is you have a poorly written post and a faulty mixer, pretty common that tap valve parts close as they heat up.
>>
>>2790285
get a builders bucket, fill it from the bath tap for one minute, empty it, fill it from the shower for one minute, empty it, wait until the shower slows, fill it for one minute.
you should have 3 volumes of water in litres report back with a picture of the area where your boiler is
>>
>>2790259
>constant-temperature mixer
I just got back from England and all the showers I saw looked like OP pic and do have integral thermostatic mixing valves. Temp control on the right and volume control on the left. It's amazing. Somehow this is considered an unnecessary luxury in the US despite likely costing just a few pennies more to make.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.