[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ka.jpg (38 KB, 488x488)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
anyone ever pimp one of these mofos out?
>>
no? ours just stirs things.
>>
what sort of lazy tard needs a machine to stir grits
>>
>>2791212
The wife likes hers for meringues and whipped creams and some thicker bread doughs that take a lot of time or muscle to do by hand.

Those Kitchenaids are pretty dope. It’s one of the very few things I have bought in the past 10 years that doesn’t feel like consumable Chinese crap.

>>2791201
There’s a bunch of goofy attachments. Why don’t you find a Hispanic man who did a couple stints in prison before finding Jesus to do some badass flames and pinstripes?
>>
>>2791201
the tilt head model is the lame one. why would you pimp it out?
get the lift bowl one if you want to get serious
>>
>>2791306
Yeeee buddy!

The bowl lift one had a much stronger motor than the same size tilt head, although all the Youtube chefs have the tilt head for some reason, it seems a little easier.
>>
>>2791310
the tilt head is way more accessible for people
it's alot cheaper and alot easier to shoplift from target
>>
>>2791310
This >>2791313. And it's "strong enough." Unless you're looking to get into semi commercial food prep, you'll never wear out the tilt head motor. You might have to put new gears in it, but the motor will keep on trucking unless you maybe use the grinder attachment on frozen meat or something? Even then you'll probably break the grinder first. I've had both, I prefer the bowl lift because I do tend to make a decent amount of bread and I grind more meat than most people will, because I'm a cheap fuck, but the tilt head never let me down.
>>
>>2791318
solid disagree
I have a tilt head one and it starts to struggle with ~500g of flour mix
The elevatable one is much better.
>>
>>2791378
Not going to really disagree with you but that's why I said strong enough with quotes. It still works even if it's not happy with a lower hydration dough, but most people aren't going to be doing all that much of that. Yes the bowl lift is better, but for the average user it's a non issue.
>>
>>2791378
This is correct and even then the modern versions of these things fucking suck if you seriously make bread and shit. My parents have a kitchenaid from the 80s and I’ve made huge batches of dense bread dough, 0 problems. The “professional” bowl lift I bought ~10 years ago has needed the gearbox rebuilt twice because I’ve stripped the teeth on the worm drive gears with dense bread and pasta doughs. Thankfully it’s simple and relatively cheap to rebuild but I don’t know what the fuck they cast these gears out of now because it’s easy as fuck to shear teeth off unless you’re some dainty bitch that only makes cookies and cake batter and shit. But then like, why even have a stand mixer? Just mix that by hand
>>
>>2791378
I remember looking at the specs when I bought the thing, and they don’t really advertise it because normies love the tilt head so much, but it was something like 600W motor on the bowl lift vs 350W on the tilt head in that same size. That’s a big difference. But I never used the tilt head so I can’t compare.

The one thing that sucks is the tilt-head has more accessories available, like I wanted to get another bowl for the wife and there’s some cute porcelain bowls and stuff for the tilt head but only the basic stainless for the bowl lift.
>>
>>2791398
>lower hydration
I'm talking about baking white bread, my dude. I'm not talking about ramen noodles.
If I want to make more than 1 loaf of bread at a time - which will only fill about half the bowl, it struggles. They could beef up the torque of the motor just a tad, and it would dramatically improve the quality of the machine.
>>2791458
I've thought about finding more solid parts and a better motor to shove in it if burns out on me. I still don't know how feasibly that is.
>>2791473
I've thought about getting the lift head just for making bread. The tilt works okay, it's just not going to make a lot of stuff at once which is annoying. I don't want to babysit an oven for 3 hours.
>>
>>2791510
I’ve never burnt out a motor thankfully, that part seems to still be well built. I can source new gears to rebuild the gear box easily but I’ve never found better ones, all the replacements I’ve found are just as shit are shred teeth after a year or two of mixing dense lower hydration doughs. If you make lower hydration pasta dough for a pasta extruder in it you will 100% shred the gears which is nuts because kitchenaid literally sells an extruder attachment with the recommendation to cut the hydration of the dough pretty significantly. Fwiw their extruder sucks though, if you plan on extruding pasta a lot skip it. I sold the attachment and got a proper countertop philips extruder with bronze dies, makes significantly better pasta, doesnt struggle with dough nearly as much, and has way more dies available for various pastas, ramen, etc
>>
>>2791473
You know how you talk about voltage specs on power tools and how they play numbers games with them? Same story with mixers.

>>2791510
I've made white bread at 55%, and I've made focaccia at 85%+. Both kinds of machines struggle with low hydration dough, the time head moreso. Again, I'm not really arguing with you, it would be a better machine if the motor was stronger, but then they'd have to price it higher and wouldn't sell as many. That's really the only point I'm making. I'm standing by what I said. It's good enough for the average home cook.

>>2791575
I have a bowl lift and I think I tried to use it to work pasta one time, now I just work it by hand. And I never got the extruder to work. My roller and fettuccini attachment work great, so that's all I make with it.
>>
>>2791594
It was the specs from Kitchenaid comparing their own mixers, and you can fudge torque with gears, but that’s not the same as how many watts it takes to run an electric motor.

>325w vs 575w
>>
>>2791601
>you can fudge torque with gears,

fudge? quite the engineer aren't we. gears can definitely change torque and speed with some loss in efficiency. I usually mix my fudge by hand, anyway. Home made fudge is heavenly, especially if you're trying to get fat.
>>
>>2791601
You know, it was a long assed time ago that I read that, maybe it was something about how they list peak hp? You're right about the watts, and if they do that with all their machines it doesn't make much difference in the end I guess. I'm happier with the bowl lift, but when I got mine they were $400, $300 on sale.
>>
>>2791601
i have the 7qt with a spiral dough hook and even though it's rated "1.3hp" it's just about maxed out on pasta.
inside it's a dc motor and epicyclic gears instead of the traditional worm gear reduction; there are no spare parts apart from "motor/gearbox unit complete" which is fucking gay and chinese.
>>
>>2791617
That’s disappointing. Because when the wife asked for one, I was like “how the fuck are these mixers $500?” and every Israelite drop of blood in me wanted to grab the $98 special from Walmart. But when I opened the box and lifted the thing up, I was like “Ahhh I understand”

Side note, I took apart a Bose bluetooth speaker the other day because it didn’t want to charge at all. That was one of the few other things I have opened and understood the premium price. For the size, that thing rocks, and as soon as you loosen a single screw, the depth disappears. The engineering is kinda cool, like you pull out the 2x 18650 battery pack, and it loses all bass, it was wild.

>>2791608
That looks good, not gonna lie

>>2791613
Vacuums do that “Peak HP” bullshit numbers too, like my 5HP shop vac or whatever it is. I looked it up once and one horsepower when rating electrical stuff is somewhere around 700w-1000w, so that would be double to triple what a standard 120V outlet could handle. They’re random AC spikes thay don’t mean much.

With the drills, most brands advertise torque, which is all gearing. DeWalt does the UWO, which makes more sense but you can only really compare it to other DeWalt drills.
>>
okay op here, finally back guys

>>2791212
kys
>>2791264
thought about doing a paint job on it
>>2791306
got it off facebook marketplace for $30... itll do the trick for what i need
>>
>>2791378
mine works fine but all of the stiffest of doughs.
>>
>>2791310
Yup. If you're doing bread the lift bowl models all have 500+ watt motors which is enough to do even pizza dough.
>>
>>2791201
Actually OP my brother painted one of those orange for my mother. He did a nice job.
>>
>>2791690
>>2791706
You don’t make bread or you don’t make it often. Pizza dough, even if you’re making ny style, is 60-70% hydration and not that stressful on the mixers. Extruded pasta dough you’re generally shooting for more like 35-40% hydration which a kitchenaid will still mix with the dough hook but as stated it will shred the gear box after a few hours of that. The motor holds up fine for even that though, I’ve rebuilt mine 3x and have 0 issues with the 500w motor for even 35% doughs with crazy high gluten content. Make more bread. Staple of life, every man should be able to make a loaf of goddamn bread

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.