[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download.jpg (1 KB, 129x90)
1 KB
1 KB JPG
Hello, I'd like to build something to keep my voice very low and allow me to train silently (or with less noise at least), do you have ideas/encountered stuff like this already ? Ideas of materials ? I was planning on using pillows and blanket, any idea ?
>>
File: 910ucOgZbnL-2295802400.jpg (767 KB, 2560x1706)
767 KB
767 KB JPG
Materially speaking the quickest and easiest way to block sound is to seal off the space. Sound conducts far better through open air channels than it does through different materials, so you will immediately get good results just from filling all the gaps for sound to travel through. Once you've done that you want as much soft squishy mass as possible to absorb the sound. They make mass loaded vinyl sheets specifically for blocking sound, but those are quite expensive. They're basically weighted blankets. As an aside, don't expect acoustic foam like pic rel to be good for this purpose because this is NOT what is is designed to do. These are designed to reduce sound reflecting off surfaces (as in echoes), which is different from sound conducting through surfaces. Mass is the most important property of a material's ability to absorb sound, so you want as much weight as possible. A very ghetto way to do this would be to stack up several sheets of drywall on the inside of your screambox.
>>
>>2791330
Thank you I didn't know about the masses !
>>
>>2791330
>>2791330
poster is correct. Just keep in mind the only way to truly sound proof a room is from pure mass. Materials like foam can help, but only to a degree.
The recording studio I used to work for was sound proof. The way they built it was by filling the wall with hundreds probably thousands of pounds of sand.

Good luck
>>
>>2791330
>A very ghetto way to do this would be to stack up several sheets of drywall on the inside of your screambox.
What's ghetto about it, the walls in my attic are double drywall on each side, fiberglass inside, it's standard practice and it's very good sound insulation for what it is. The rest of the house is as you'd expect. Brick shit.
>>
Get some cheap moving blankets, they're nice and heavy and block sound alright

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.