[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm moving and there's a shitty shed pad at the place I'm looking at buying. I want to put a shed on it. How do I repair it to make it usable and safe? I want the shed to be secure and not blow away during a storm
>>
I mean, it's not gonna go anywhere if that's what you're asking. If you just want it to look nicer then break up and toss that cracked up shit on the right and repour it and pressure wash the big slab
>>
>>2796554
can I pour another slab on top of this one as is?
>>
>>2796618
That is what i would do. Make sure your new slab is nice and thick
>>
>>2796618
Not a great idea. The pieces on the bottom are still going to shift and your new slab is just going to crack again. Do it right the first time, remove and re-pour
>>
He should seal it in epoxy.

It's all the rage.
>>
>>2796618
with how many cracks there are on that, i'd remove and re-pour to be on the safe side.
>>
>>2796551
>no visible anchor bolts
>right in front of the stairs
Doesn't look like a shed slab. If in the South it's a buck-breaking slab, if in the North, then it's a pay-money-to-get-broken by a buck slab.
>>
>>2796661
Never understood this. Yeah i have a nice concrete base to pour my slab on, better rip it all up, soften the ground up, then repack the ground again so I can repour my slab. I mean if its still settling and moving a ton then it would probably make sense, but I'm sure that slab was done settling 20 years ago...
>>
>>2796551
Looks like it was poured for a place to BBQ etc. due to proximity to the back door.

Wise method is leave it and be glad it's there to walk on for rainy days (and perhaps later spread some milled asphalt as a walking path connecting it to your driveway or as a driveway, milled asphalt is wonderful and easy to rake out by hand which self and wife did for several dump truck loads for the exercise.)

I'd place a storage shed much further away from the house so it would be better for flammable storage. It's less hassle to make a form then pour a (fiber reinforced) slab of whatever thiccness your use case suggests. Bigger slab is better even if you just temporarily plop a small shed atop the slab since slabs are extremely handy for working on vehicles, mowers etc.
>>
SHED
>>
>>2796714
Yeah, it’s already settled.
At most, I’d drill some holes and throw some rebar stubs in the old slab and tie them into the new slab’s rebar poured on top of it.
>>
>>2796714
You have no idea what the ground is like underneath that slab. It could be compacted clay, it could be granular base, it could be topsoil, or it could be Jimmy Hoffa.
If you're in an area with a freeze-thaw cycle and expansive soils, the slab would lift and drop with the seasons, and a broken slab could do so unevenly, which would put stress on a slab poured on top of it, resulting in cracking.
>>
>>2796714
No I'm talking about just pouring it straight over the broken pieces. They'll continually move even if just a little. Concrete is brittle af
>>
>>2796878
That’s why rebar.
>>
>>2796908
Just don't be a lazy nigger and do it right the first time
>>
My shed is just sitting on cinderblocks
>>
>>2796551
Why do you want to put a shed just in front of the stairs?

Anyway, I would just remove the cracked concrete on the right and pour a new slab over all of it. Make it at least 4“ thick.
Add sone rebar to connect the new and old concrete.
>>
>>2796551
who would be dumb enough to put a shed right in front of a stairway ?? blocking your stairs could result in fines for blocking a fire exit
>>
>>2796618
Subscribe to Victory Outdoor services and watch them. Concreters always rip up the old concrete, dig down and pour new concrete.
>>
>>2796964
>put a shed just in front of the stairs?
this.
that existing conc pad is a shitty place to put a shed.
if you need to put the shed so close to the house, at least shift it over some so its not right fucking in front of the stairs
>>
>>2796983
>subscribe to
kill yourself faggot
>>
>>2796983
Of course they do.
It’s more money.
>>
>>2797014
I think I'll kill you and your family instead
>>
>>2796981
Post shed path meme
>>
>>2796551
>>2796554
The lowest effort thing to do would be to blast out the dirt and grass in the cracks and fill them in with cement caulk. It will flex a little with future movement and make it look whole again for about 10 years.

If you're just going to cover it with a shed again, you don't really need it to look nice. Don't waste a lot of effort on this, you're going to have a lot of shit to fix in this old house
>>
Leave the pad alone and put a pole 'barn' over it

use it for cookouts or storage
>>
>>2797859
>don't enclose your valuables in a shed, just leave them under a carport that's not over the driveway for some stupid reason
is this a serious suggestion?
>>
>>2797906
Yes, That looks too small for a car, if a car can even get in the backyard.

Do you live where it snows? not a good option for you. In tropical places, a shady and breezy place has value.

>Looks like it was poured for a place to BBQ etc. due to proximity to the back door.
>>
File: 1690150869975772.jpg (25 KB, 558x364)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2796551
if that's the actual picel, you should be more concerned about your mobile mansion taking flight than some shitshed. plus mr lehey aint gonna let you build anything to shitify sunnyvale
>>
>>2796551
Just turn it into a path to your new shed
>>
>>2796551
why would it be unsafe, is your iq less than 100? It's a fucking shed.
>>
>>2796551
State?
>>
>>2798183
i had this thought as well. Idk what OPs talking about
>>
>>2798720
as long at it not on side of hill it will be fine,worst thing that can happen is in a massive flood the foundation floats, but again it's a fucking small as shed not a house.
>>
>>2796551
if you're not parking anything heavy on it , it should be fine.
>>
>>2798386
Deep South.
>>
>>2796551
This is a garbage bin slab, that’s why it is so close to the house.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.