[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Use this thread to ask questions you think don't require a thread of their own.

The old thread no longer bumps: >>2794873

If you didn't get a response in the old thread, feel free to ask again here.
>>
>>2678737
>Some friendly suggestions for posting:
> - First ask Google, then ask /diy/. Your question will probably be better received if you do so.
> - List available resources (tools, materials, budget, time, etc.)
> - Try to use pictures and explain the goal, if possible
> - Be patient, this is a slow board; your thread will be around for days.
> - Share your results! /diy/ loves to see problems solved and projects completed!
>>
File: 34w6436346y43.jpg (330 KB, 1536x1024)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
can someone tell me what the red appliance attached to the back wall is?
>>
>>2801357
Looks like an oil tank for oil heat systems
>>
I'm planning to build an autonomous 'follow me' platform using Arduino. Basically, the platform will follow you based on your phone's location, similar to the cooler in the video below. However, I'm having trouble finding a GPS module like the one used in the video. Is there a similar GPS module that I can use?

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=6I5rQfJSmaM&list=PL39pssg07dpCBNHQbxaql-8NT9rz-k3RB&index=2
>>
>>2801357
That's my cum tank
>>
File: bar clamp.png (5 KB, 598x598)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>2801337
Is there a name for a clamp like this? I don't have a mill or anything to make this myself, so I was hoping it's a standard off the shelf kind of part so I don't need to spend a bunch of time with an S&D drill and an angle grinder.

It's for mounting home made saddlebags to my bike, if that's relevant. There's a spot on the frame that'd be perfect for mounting a pair of ammo cans to.
>>
>>2801420
Do you drink it all at once, or is that like, a weeks worth?
>>
>>2801457
Terms like round stock bracket, tubing bracket, bar mounting clamp, etc., will likely find what you're looking for.
>>
>>2801470
But if I were you I'd probably just make or buy some plumbing strap hangers and drill some holes into the ammo box and bolt or rivet it and call it a day.
>>
>>2801471
I thought about the conduit clamps but wanted something a little sturdier. It's on a dual sport and I absolutely ride it off road all the time, so I was worried about the cans getting ripped off the bike if I clip a branch or drop it. I had some commercial saddle bags that did exactly that once and don't care to repeat the experience.
>>
File: split clamps.png (101 KB, 1360x699)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>2801457
>>
File: motorcycle mirror clamp.jpg (193 KB, 1344x699)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>2801457
>mounting a pair of ammo cans
10mm bolt from inside can into mirror mount
>>
>>2801496
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for
>>2801498
Almost as rickety as the conduit clamps
>>
>>2801502
Also my bike frame is 3/4, not 7/8 like handlebars are
>>
File: you're welcome.jpg (56 KB, 830x274)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2801502
>Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for
You're welcome
>>
Why does this board have so many namefags?
>>
>>2801555

It doesn't have very many, it's just that some of them can't go 10 minutes without posting. And that one particular brain-dead imbecile bepis who thinks it is cute to have several names.
>>
>>2801557
Still, anons will interact with them, carry on conversations and such. Seems kind of backwards compared to most other boards.
>>
>>2801557
>>2801559
Hey bby I heard you were talkin about me?
>>
File: IMG_20240519_234315.jpg (1.75 MB, 4080x1840)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>2801337
I recently staryed living off grid and I'm worried I'm worried I might have gotten scammed refilling one of my gas bottles today.
Pic related is the gas bottle in question.

They refilled it whilst it was lying on its side whilst in the car like shown in the photo. When I went into pay and came out the bloke said they had filled it until the release. They did not show the amount of litres that went into it. They said they filled it till it cut out. I felt a bit sus about the exchange. Is it possible to properly fill these gas tanks on their side?

I had a degree of trust for the service station but afterwards felt this seemed a bit weird as I had wanted to see the amount put in before reset and I thought these would have to be upright to be properly filled.
I didn't think the employee would have a reason to lie so I didn't contest anything at the time.
>>
What have you been reading lately, /diy/?
>>
Wife wants me to replace a light switch in the front room with a dimmer switch. Problem is that the current light switch is only 15mm deep and attached to a noggin. The wall is adjacent to the door to the front room as well. Dimmer back boxes are 25mm deep. Any concern with cutting out the noggin to make room or should I go about it differently
>>
File: menards are swollen.jpg (82 KB, 962x961)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
textile bros I need help! I work at Menards and must wear this vest over a dress shirt every day. The fabric is a pretty heavy weight and I sweat like mad since the AC is shit in store. any good way to uniformly distress the fabric to be thinner or more breathable? I read about soaking it in a brine but haven't tried it yet. I usually use white vinegar when I do laundry which softens clothes a bit, but doesn't really distress or thin the fabric much. The vest only cost like $8.50 so if it gets fucked up I'll just buy another
>>
>>2801557
And if you retards would stop feeding them they'd eventually go away.
>>
>>2801591
They charge, or should charge you by either volume or weight. If you're really worried, buy a kitchen scale and weight it yourself just to verify.
>>
is there a website that I can enter a scientific notation and get the resulting metric number. Specifically I am trying to read ohms. pic related.

I want the specs for the various voltages to be more human readable. for example, at 10V, what is the actual range? is it 50 Kohms to 500Gohms? I want to figure this out for each voltage.

Im hoping theres just a website I can enter the scientific notation and it return a metric number in Kilo/Mega/Giga etc
>>
>>2801752
>http://www.hawaii.hawaii.edu/math/Courses/Math100/Chapter0/Prefix.htm
>10s of penta Ohms
What the fuck are you even measuring and what equipment is that????
>>
>>2801758
Its an HP 4329A High Resistance Meter. I used something like this to test insulation resistance on stepper motors used on google earth satellites communications antennas. But that was usually no more than 10s of tera Ohms.

Not sure what penta Ohm range would be used for but hey its nice to have I guess.
>>
>>2801758
Thanks for the link. I think I got everything right going by that
>>
How would I build a hot plate from scratch?
>>
File: HP7.jpg (744 KB, 2560x1920)
744 KB
744 KB JPG
>>2801758
Should I keep it?

a pawn shop wouldnt even give me $100 for it. I put it up on eBay as untested, but I started testing it and it seemed to be working, and I started thinking what a cool device it is, so I ended the auction. Just guessing I could get $350 for it.

I think the highest any of my other meters can read is 200 MΩ
>>
>>2801772
Lots of nichrome wire under a piece of steel?
>>
>>2801774
Insulation testers are usually expensive, if you have some money you could send into a lab for calibration and sell it later. Really nice find man. I had a megger one at the job but it was for transformers, went only up to some gigs.
>>
why does a cut off tool exist when you can put a cut off disc on an angle grinder?
>>
>>2801819
One handed operation for smaller jobs and more square
>>
>>2801819
Angle grinders don't fit in a lot of spaces
>>
>>2801870
I think the only difference in side between my angle grinder and cut off tool is the side handle on the angle grinder. I guess there are some applications where it could get in the way, but not many.
>>
I've seen like 5 fuckin roaches in the past few days and can't see a source. I have a like 3 year old tube of adivion cockroach but I'm not able to find the god damn source of these faggots. Do yall think they'd find it on their own? I'm going to try and find a decent insecticide spray tomorrow to do outside/base board sprays.
>>
>>2801819
Perpendicular cuts instead of inline cuts.
That said, I just use a die grinder with a cut off wheel mandrel, because guards are for pussies.
>>
I'm trying to replace a receptacle on a tile wall. The hole the previous contractor cut was not big enough so part of the tile in covering the hole for the receptacle screw. Is there any way to file or trim the tile down? Would tile nippers work? I tried using a regular metal file and sandpaper to no avail.
>>
>>2802014
Pic? Feeling retarded at the moment and can't visualize it
>>
File: tile.jpg (698 KB, 3024x4032)
698 KB
698 KB JPG
>>2802016

Picrel, red rectangle is the area that should have removed originally. Blue triangle is the minimum space I need to cut out or file out so I can get the screw into the box tab. The tiles are cracked from the jury rigging by the contractor who set up this receptacle in the first place but it's still solidly attached to the wall. I can't completely cut out or replace the tiles in any case.
>>
File: glass burr for dremel.png (136 KB, 788x695)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
>>2802014
>>2802019
>>
File: sink.png (99 KB, 610x599)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
I want to get a utility sink, a rv hose, and hook it up on an outdoor fauccet to create a cleaning station for the summer. This would be to clean fruits and vegetables designed for human consumption and occasionally dishes from cooking things outdoor on a grill. Are there any safety concerns I should be aware of, or maybe a better way to do it? its getting really annoying having to go back and forth to use a regular kitchen sink so I'd much prefer to just do the bulk of the washing and cleaning outside.
>>
>>2802044
Just make sure its not grey water and you're probably fine.
>>
>>2801337
how much would it realistically cost to finish a basement in US? (around 887 sq footage).
>>
I wanted to pick up a 3oz tube of black silicone but all menards has in stock is the 10oz tubes of black or white or clear in small or large size. Seems like home depot only has black in the larger size in stock too. What's up with that? I can get the small tubes in white anywhere but black is only in the bigger tubes. Do they not make it like that anymore? Is there no demand? What's the selection of silicone and other sealants in various colors look like in your area?
>>
Shipping container for a backyard shop, yay or nay? I know it's been a trend for a while. I'm wondering if it's still feasible. I'd like to build one for the learning experience. But if it ends up costing the same as a prefab building I could use for a small shop, I rather just buy it. Thoughts? Could it be done for cheap nowadays? Will I save money?
>>
File: IMG_20240520_170905350.jpg (2.62 MB, 4080x3072)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>2802343
Whay got me interested in the subject was this book I found. Had some cool designs and tips on how to go about it, but it was written in 2004. So idk if the info is out of date
>>
File: 00717510958010_c1n1.jpg (31 KB, 700x700)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
I used this shit and now my apartment smells like rotten eggs. What do?
>>
File: Snapchat-1665327904.jpg (382 KB, 1440x2560)
382 KB
382 KB JPG
I'm using this carport with a tarp-like material over it and it's got a few rips. I don't need it to last super long, but maybe a few months. I bought some tape that's supposedly specific for tarp repair and have cleaned the location of the tears on both sides. Is there anything else I could use perhaps along with the tarp tape (whether glues, other tapes, etc) to make this thing last longer? run the tape a certain direction (across the tear vs along it)?
>>
File: Snapchat-1842937507.jpg (956 KB, 1440x2560)
956 KB
956 KB JPG
>>2802351
this is the tape I got. It may be worthless, I'm not sure, but it was fairly cheap. I have duct tape and maybe some flex seal (spray and tape) here
>>
>>2802350
Oh God the whole building smells like rotten eggs now I think I did something bad please god save me
>>
I'm probably going to be homeless in a few months and living in my car for a while.
Does anyone have experience with those flexible solar panels?
I need something to power my laptop so that I can search for somewhere to live.
I've seen 12V/300W panels that look pretty cheap and only weigh ~3KG.
Would it be viable for me to set this up when I stop somewhere to get a little bit of charge?
>>
>>2802387
Cheaper and faster to leech mains power from a library or coffee shop.
>>
>>2802387
>>2802413
>coffee shop
In most locations Starbucks has outmaneuvered this advice by removing all customer seating and tables, so don't bother going there unless you've struck out everywhere else
>>
>>2802387
>flexible solar panels?

i'd act like a math nerd, and compare cost of idling your car for x minutes to charge your car battery vs the cost of solar
then factor in time wasted waiting for the sun, and convenience
>>
>>2801376
Yeah
>>2801986
Yeah
>>2802014
Yeah
>>2802338
Weakest bait I’ve ever seen
>>
>>2802350
>>2802355
Nevermind it's fine now
>>
not necessarily /diy/ but wasn't sure where to post
thermostat has a problem(?) where it will be set at 75 for example, it hits high 76 and kicks on as normal, but then even after nearly two hours the AC just keeps going and going with the read temp not changing. But then if I turn it off by changing the set temp higher, the read temp NOW, after no new cold air is entering, starts decreasing and winds up 1-2 degrees lower than the original set temp while the AC is off.

Is this normal? Do I need a new thermostat? Last thing I need is my AC just perma-running because the damn thing can't read the room in the literal sense.
>>
>>2802570
did some idiot wire up your AC to a mechanical thermostat with a heat anticipator?
>>
File: magic red tape.jpg (149 KB, 953x716)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>2802351
>Is there anything else I could use

this red tape they sell at home improvement stores is fantastic
usually used to join pieces of tyvek house wrap together
super strong glue, resists water, lasts forever, reasonably priced
>>
>>2801658
I don't know what the rules are at your workplace, but it seems like you'd be much better off just buying lighter dress shirts (e.g. linen)
>>
My parents tv doesn’t receive IR signal properly. Only works from a certain angle and pretty up close.
I used different RC’s and new batteries. I suppose the hardware is fucked up, but then again, it shouldn’t be working at all. Any suggestions what it could be or how to bypass this problem? Thought about ordering an IR extender and stick the output next to the receiver on the tv.
>>
How do I cool off my third floor bedroom? I don't want a portable AC unit
>>
Is there an appreciable difference between name brand Loctite thread locking compound and the knock off chink bottles on scamazon?

Haven’t needed to actually buy loctite in years because I always got free little vials with things but now I’m finding a 50ml bottle of 272 is more than $20
>>
>>2802714
well that's a kind of tricky question, first try to limit the heat getting in through shade, then maximise ventilation. thermal mass can stabilise what's left after that
>>
any know what limits on width would be for a trucking company to transport a shed. I'm planning on building one but I'm going to move in a couple years and I'd like to be able to take it with me.
>>
>>2802669
>Thought about ordering an IR extender

no need to ask questions as you've already found the optimal solution
>>
File: moffet and truck.jpg (120 KB, 751x565)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>2802757
>transport a shed

the moffet and truck are gonna cost more to rent than the shed is worth
>>
Got a bunch of old rusted barn roofing that’s about 10 to 15 feet each, how much could I sell it for? I want to get rid of it but sending it to the scrapyard seems wasteful because I know there are people that really like this junk.
>>
I want to add a faucet outdoors near my veggie garden that's 100' away from my house. Is it ok to just bury the sprinkler flex pipe and make posts with connectors, or should I be using pvc or some conduit?
>>
File: 20240507_122140.jpg (1.04 MB, 1224x689)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
reveal your masonic secrets to me, /diy/. What's the difference between these cinder blocks?
>>
>>2802873
to start with, they're not cinder blocks; they're concrete
The one on the left is made to be used with a preformed gasket to cope with expansion. The ones on the right are regular corner blocks. The flat face can be used at an exposed end, like a doorway or wall end.
Either of them can also really just be used anywhere a normal block would be.
>>
>>2802760
Thanks!
>>
>>2802727
I put slapped tinfoil on all my windows and they're covered with shutters and curtains. The third floor gets disgustingly hot, I have a box fan running in my room and doesn't seem to help much. The air outside is just way too hot nothing fresh is getting in. Just might be over
>>
>>2802651
Thank you!
>>
can you guess the run of a gas line to your house based on where it enters the basement? or will they sometimes do insane things like bury it going diagonally across your front lawn? (interested in renting a trencher to put in a sprinkler system)
>>
>>2803011
Gas lines "usually" run in straight lines from the meter to the building but you shouldn't depend on it.
The gas line should have a wire buried with the gas line.(tracer wire) The wire is accessible at each end.
A low frequency rf signal generator is attached at one end and a receiver is used to follow the signal along the ground marking the path of the line.
If you contact the gas company explaining you want to dig, they should be happy to trace the line for you at no cost.
>>
File: IMG_0583.jpg (2.44 MB, 4032x3024)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>2803024
I don’t see a wire but is it possible that block above the pipe has the wire attached?
>>
I have 2 oscilloscopes but no probes. There is a surplus store near me with a bunch. one scope is 40MHz, and the other is 350MHz. However, I think that the 350MHz can be hacked into a 1GHz one.
What should I look for when selecting probes? I dont wanna buy something that ends up not working well. Guessing the 40MHz one isnt picky, but the 350MHz-1GHz could be.
>>
>>2803063
feel kinda dumb for asking, since it looks like the MHz is generally printed on the probe. So for the 40MHz scope, will a 40MHz probe work; or do I want to choose a higher rating so Im not pushing the probe to its limit?
>>
My leather chair has four buttons on the seat that are pretty annoying. Is there anything I can do that isn't replacing the chair or reupholstering the chair to remove the buttons and close up those holes? Something that would last with many hours of sitting upon it?
>>
So my hot water heater is tripping the breaker. It doesn't do so immediately, but after 5-10 minutes. A bit of reading says that in a dual-element water heater, the top element fires first until it reaches temp, at which point it shuts off and the lower element fires. Based on that and the behavior, I think the bottom element is bad. Does that pass a basic sanity check? Any other thoughts?
>>
>>2803132
Could it be that there’s a short amount of time when the elements are on simultaneously, and are drawing too much power? Is this a new problem?
>>
>>2803132
>Any other thoughts?

breakers can go bad
if you have the courage for it, see if you can swap the water heater connections with some other 220V gadget
like clothes dryer or room heater
>>
>>2803132
I would check the circuit breaker like other anon said, it could have some resistance and trip when it warms up. Could also be one of the elements. I would tell you to grab your multimeter and see if the breaker is tripping as power gets sent to the bottom element, or maybe check resistance on it, but you probably would’ve done that if you had a multimeter.

If you don’t have a multimeter and don’t want to learn how to diagnose the stuff, the water heater might be worth just throwing parts at it. I did the thermostats and elements in mine a few years ago because the water was getting scalding hot, and it was probably just one thermostat, but the entire kit was like $35 for two new elements and top + bottom thermostats and it was all easy to replace. If it trips after that, call an electrician to check out the breaker and wiring.

Also maybe you could unplug the bottom thermostat/element or turn the temp on the bottom thermostat way low to where it barely heats and see if that isolates the issue.
>>
>>2803180
>>2803132
Also since this is 4chan I should probably add, don’t forget to flip the breaker off before you go messing around too much in there. And don’t go trying to replace breakers without shutting off the main breaker outside (and preferably confirming with a meter or NCV). If you don’t, you might accidentally make those magic crystals everybody is always raging about.
>>
File: IMG_7664.jpg (1.91 MB, 4032x3024)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
How do I remove this bullshit from y fan? It doesn’t have a screw.
Do I just pull on it very hard?
>>
>>2803161
>>2803164
>>2803180
>>2803184
Thanks fellas, but this has developed into a full on saga.
>get new heater elements from HomeDerpo
>drain da tank, pull both elements
>looksfine.gif
>both test fine at 12.8Ω
>replace the bottom element anyways
>still trips after a few minutes
>disconnect the lower element
>still trips...
>disconnect the lower thermostat
>still trips
>notice that the breaker is getting quite warm
>pull the load center
>pull the breaker
>obvious heat damage on of the wires for over and inch from the breaker

Swapped a spare/no-in-use 30A 2-pole from the oven (gas but also wired it for 240) over, cut back to clean wire, and has been ok with no trip (and hot water) for about an hour now. So bad breaker, or possibly just a bad connection? The wire under the terminal only had a couple of very small clean spots left.
>>
>>2803228
Yeah
>>
>>2803228
Twist it. It is its own screw.
>>
File: gas line tracer wire.jpg (113 KB, 640x844)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>2803047
Look for the wire at the meter where the pipe goes underground.
>>
>>2803241
Thanks for the update.

>>2678737
- Share your results! /diy/ loves to see problems solved and projects completed!
>>
File: 20240523_193644.jpg (3.87 MB, 4000x3000)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB JPG
I have these LED lights in my apartment that won't turn on. I posted a photo months back and someone pretty quickly identified the issue but I forget what it was. Are they fixable?
>>
>>2803409
They're probably wired in series so one burns out and the whole circuit is broken. If you have a multimeter, you should be able to probe using continuity to find the one that's burned out. Once you identify it, throw it all out because trying to solder on those cheap Chinese aluminum circuit boards is a bitch for someone experienced, so someone that couldn't even guess the problem is probably going to have a hell of a time trying to solder a link to bypass the burned out LED only to have the next one burn out even faster since they'll be running even hotter with one less LED in the circuit.

You could probably also throw a few resistors in there to lower the power and extend the life, but I'm not experienced enough to even guess resistance you would need.
>>
>>2802344
>>2802343
shipping containers are a bit more expensive these days, now that it's become a bit of a fad to use them for buildings. But price wise, it's not that bad compared to a shed with the same square footage.I suppose it's a nice quick set up since you can just drop it where ever you want it. but it WILL rust. no way around that unless you live out in the desert
>>
File: upload_-1.jpg (554 KB, 1024x576)
554 KB
554 KB JPG
Repairing Garage Floor:

The floor in my garage is badly spalled, has cracks in places, and has water that seeps through during heavy rain or light rain when the table is already high.

Has anyone taken on a project like this before? I'm looking into different products that are used to repair concrete like this and I talked to some of the flooring guys on my job who were doing something similar. They recommended Ardex Concrete Dressing and some sort of primer to help promote adhesion to the old concrete. In a perfect world I'd love to get the whole project done for under $2,000 but I'm only just starting to do research and price things out now.

Any real advice would be helpful.
>>
>>2803409
>>2803437
>probe using continuity to find the one that's burned out

jewtube has lots of videos showing people repairing these things
- use insulated tweezers to short each led in turn to find bad one
- use metal spring or clip or aluminum foil to short it permanently
>>
File: IMG_8504.jpg (107 KB, 640x480)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
I’m trying to fix a window but I can’t figure out what this rubber (vinyl?) strip is called. Pic related, how it fits together.
>>
File: IMG_8506.jpg (191 KB, 960x1280)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>2803640
here’s another angle of the strip
>>
File: IMG_8503.jpg (349 KB, 960x1280)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
>>2803641
and here’s the window pane if it helps
>>
>>2803334
in my house the meter is in the basement, not outside, so the pic I posted is the pipe coming into the house to the meter. don’t see any wire, unfortunately.
>>
I got fired today after discussing wages with a coworker last week. My manager told me directly to no longer discuss wages after our boss had a meeting with him. Our boss also confided in another coworker that he was mad at me for discussing wages.
My boss gave me a paper that said I was being fired for constant mistakes at work and costing the business money and that there had been ongoing conversations about this.
None of that is true, my coworkers are willing to back that up and they all agree that I’m probably the best worker they’ve had. Not to mention there has never been any previous discussion about my work in a negative way, and also that I was the highest paid member of the entire staff. I also quit on my own terms once because my boss was/is a dickhead and months later he wanted/hired me back.
Should I sue him for retaliation for discussing wages, a federally protected part of work?
>>
>>2803672
See a lawyer. Specifics matter and most consults are free.
>>
>>2803672
>I got fired today
>I also quit on my own terms
>>
>>2803704
I quit last august and was rehired in December after my boss needed me back. He fired me today after working since December. Prior to that I had worked there for around two years.
>>
>>2803679
I might just file a complaint with the NLRB and see where that goes.
>>
should I email a tool and die shop about an apprenticeship? I have the owner's email address but dunno what to put
>>
>>2803640
>I can’t figure out what this rubber (vinyl?) strip is called
I searched for "u-channel glazing gasket"
I'm not suggesting you buy from pic related.
I post it to show that the search will work.
>>
I have this grate in my shower cabin on top of the drain it has edges sharper than Excalibur and is a huge safety hazard could I make them smoother with sandpaper or would I need to have a rotary tool for this kind of job?
>>
>>2803733
Why not? Could be quite profitable in a lawsuit. I'd get a free legal consult and ask NLRB to get smart about the best strategy to get paid.
>>
>>2803758
If you can get a file in there that would reach in and files can remove considerable amounts of metal.
>>
>>2803752
Thank you very much anon
>>
>>2803437
>>2803627
thanks anons. bought a multimeter, gonna see what i can do
>>
File: door.jpg (120 KB, 750x1000)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Some crackhead broke into my storage unit. The door handle is stuck and the key doesn't turn the lock anymore. Can I fix this myself, potentially burglar-proofing it in the process? I'm a complete beginner and have no practical skills btw
>>
>>2803786
install a new one, make it release mustard gas if broken
>>
How do i make a neddler pistol for self defense with spring and not cheap latex tubes?
>>
>>2803856
i only found projects with latex tubes... is this illegal then?
>>
>>2803766
Your best bet is to take a piece of it with the measurement of how much you need to a local glass shop.
They buy it by the roll and are likely to give you enough to fix one window.
While you're there, ask them about any installation tips to make it easy to do.
>>
File: 1707285891303334.jpg (22 KB, 400x400)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
This is maybe a truly stupid question but I'll try.

When I started renovating my cellar in our newly bought house, it was a bit flooded last year. Luckily nothing was damaged, but I got into a fucking fight with the previous owners that neglected to inform me of the fact that there aren't any drainage pipes around the house, so water just swooshes in during winter.

Now, I can lay the shit myself but when I contact companies to excavate the dirt around the house (approx 150m3 of dirt, 50x2x2m) they try to scam the shit out of me, asking upwards of $9400 USD for the work.

Now, the truly stupid question. How much dirt can a relatively fit man shovel away per hour? Would it be fucking insane of me to dig all of it out myself? (yes)
>>
>>2803892
Dont worry about how much you can lift. lift every day and one day it will finish!
you can hire potheads to help too, where i live they can be hired for work for some easy money
>>
>>2803747
Go for it. What’s the downside? Wasting the 2min it took to write the email?

Fwiw, fucking every blue collar workplace I drive past has “help wanted” signs, sparkies and plumbers and welders and I’m sure the machine shops are the same. Maybe they take a chance on you it you’re willing to take lower pay and be a gopher for a year or two.
>>
>>2803909
I wish. Considered throwing one of those famous "Voluntary work" days we use to have around here, but don't know if 10+ of my buddies want to become dwarves in the "mines" for a couple of days in trade for free food and beer.
>>
>>2803606
as fucked as that surface is, it's probably wisest to just sawcut a section out as big as you want out, break it up and repour. you could do the rebar yourself and dowel it into the side slabs. no form necessary and easy for you and a friend to screed and finish yourselves
>>2803892
rent a mini excavator for a weekend and be done
>>
I'm trying to get my hands on these special charcoal briquettes where the charcoal is reformed into perforated bricks so air can run through them.

You see hajis tying then to the bottom of kettles, but they get them from China
>>
File: 1manb4.jpg (133 KB, 1280x574)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
What sort of professional should I look for to clean an old proprietary mechanical keyboard? It's gunked up bad. I don't want to do it myself and break shit by accident since it will be difficult and expensive to replace. A professional would be insured in case something goes wrong during the procedure.
>>
File: northwest repair.jpg (54 KB, 980x417)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2804068
>What sort of professional should I look for

google maps will guide you to local computer or phone repair places, and give you ratings

if you dont trust foreigners, try the guy in the pic
he has a youtube repair channel
says his email is in his ''channel page''
no idea where that is, but discord might work
>>
File: IMG_2936.jpg (3.25 MB, 4032x3024)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
I’ve made a custom rear I/o panel for a IBM terminal from 1985 I’m using for a weird pc case
It’s going to have hdmi and 3 RCA outputs for composite, so those holes will get a bit bigger. I used a dremel for the first hole for the usb port but I’m wondering what else would be suitable for making a specific sizes hole? Step drills?
I have a drill press. I tried using a tungsten carbide hole saw which was a dumb idea because it grabbed the piece.

The dremel works its just extra slow and fiddly
>>
File: drill bits.jpg (21 KB, 600x600)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>2804107
>what else would be suitable for making a specific sizes hole?
a drill bit - they are available in specific sizes
>>
>>2804104
>says his email is in his ''channel page''
>no idea where that is, but discord might work

If you click on "...more" or "and 2 more links" his email is shown.
>>
File: IMG_7665.jpg (2.17 MB, 4032x3024)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
Do you guys know what the name of this tape is? It feels kinda like cloth
>>
>>2804182
I worked at a place for like a decade where that was a standard tape we used, and no one could figure out the name.
Its really nice though. I think its nylon cloth electrical tape but not sure. much shittier tapes tend to come up, which are more like a particle board finish instead of a nice weave like the one in your pic
>>
>>2804182
year 2024.39 and people still can't do a google search
>>
>>2804107
>Step drills?
yes
the cheap ones from harbor freight work great on plastic, no pilot hole needed but makes it more accurate
>>
>>2804191
That one is not the same though. I’ve used that before and it’s actual cloth. The one from my picture feels “kinda” like cloth but it’s not that flexible
>>
File: IMG_2939.jpg (3.21 MB, 4032x3024)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB JPG
>>2804193
This worked, didn’t grab the plastic as much as the hole saw, made this ez
>>
>>2804182
The stuff usually used inside of laptops is a nylon fiber tape. It doesn’t really have a specific name, it’s just nylon fiber tape. There’s fine and coarse types, all different sizes, etc.
Automotive wiring harness tape does the same thing but it’s easier to find at any auto parts store. It’s designed to stick to dusty, low contact surfaces that get hot, it’ll work on anything in a laptop.
>>
File: IMG_0971.jpg (961 KB, 1170x870)
961 KB
961 KB JPG
How would you add a bar to deadhang/ pull up here. I can reach the upper landing and get a good stretch and do limited ROM pull ups but the woman is short and lacking grip strength so maybe I should just attach some straps so she can decompress the spine too.
>>
>>2804307
screw flange into studs cut bar to length. is there something unclear about this?
>>
>>2804068
>A professional would be insured
if it helps you sleep at night to believe this
>>
One of my mom's friends want me to show her how to use a router. I mostly use mine to make circles or attached to a table to make profiles for trim and stuff but I'm pretty sure she's is more into crafts and probably wants to do template stuff. I'm bad at explaining things so what should I try to focus on?

>>2804307
You mentioned straps, so if you don't want to drill into walls, use a bar that will span behind the two larger posts to hang another bar/rings at the right height. It'd sway though, but with rings that's a feature.
>>
>>2803892
Obviously just rent a mini excavator like anon said

>>2803672
You should u ironically sue for wrongful termination
Sharing wages is every worker's right

>>2803606
It would be cheapest to remove and replace
I do garage floor coatings professionally and using anything that's not basic cementitious stuff gets pricy

What we would do here is grind, prime with epoxy dip & roll, grout coat with epoxy to fill most of the way up using a flat blade squeegee and then put down a full flake high build highly textured coating that would hide the rest of the texture
>>
>>2804315
Nothing really. Haven't used that kind of rigid flange yet. Threading seems ideal but premade pieces probably won’t fit and I don’t really have pipe threader very high on the list. Set screws and jb weld would have to do I guess.

>>2804343
The straps were more to account for under developed grip strength and possibly lower the entire contraption. Making holes in walls is one of life’s pleasures.
>>
File: termites.jpg (85 KB, 674x506)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
I was going to start a new thread but I guess there is no need for that...

Here's an idea: a device that uses microwaves to kill termites and similar pests. The generated microwave radiation would be powerful enough to burn the termites inside wood of relatively short width but not too powerful to be able reach long distances.
Would it work? Would it be a bad idea?

Some issues I've thought of is that microwaves would be reflected by nails, cables or other metallic objects, but maybe the device could be designed in such a way that reflected radiation would be absorbed by some components.
>>
>>2802669
Clean the spot where the IR receiver is on the tv
>>
>>2804384
aside from whether your device would work, would it be more effective or useful than the current state of the art: insecticides?
AFAIK the queen lives in colony underground and killing a bunch of drones would just cause them to make more. I think most of the hive isn't present in the actual home most of the time
>>
>>2801337
Anyone got a homemade weedkiller recipe? for concrete cracks. Must be safe for our chickens and not kill the good nearby flowers. Does a saltwater solution work?
>>
I have a power supply for a 3D printer that you need to connect the cables to yourself. First time I did I read online you should use cable shoes like the ones pictured to reduce the risk of them coming loose. But wouldn't looping the copper wire, physically tying the loop, and soldering the loop be more secure? In my experience these shoes are not always fully secured to the cable since it's just clamped.
>>
File: wire terminals.jpg (134 KB, 1000x1000)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>2804440
>be more secure?

if the thing were assembled professionally, which way would they do it?
most likely using wire terminals of the FC type coz they're neat, solid. reliable and dont require removing the screw
if you have the right clamping tool, they're rock solid, if not you can use solder to supplement the clamp
>>
>>2804447
Thanks, guess I was just using a shitty clamping tool then.
>>
>>2804343
>One of my mom's friends want me to show her how to use a router.
Is she post-menopause? Just wondering if you need to bring along a couple love glove.
>>
>>2804476
PPE will be available but I don't see that one being needed.
>>
File: 20240526_093334.jpg (2.89 MB, 4000x3000)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
This shit needs to be replaced. It's old af, and it's not really big enough for the bathroom it's in. It's a wall install. It's an old house, but the bathroom is more recent, so I'm pretty sure it's drywall. The current rough-in looks like it's screwed into the drywall itself, but I haven't removed the fan housing yet. The hole is about 7 7/8" sq.

Before I go tearing stuff apart, what tools should I have/acquire, and based on the image, what problems might I anticipate running into? This entire 130 yr old house has been subjected to DIY oppression, and I'm reasonably certain that includes this bathroom.
>>
>>2804505
Why the fuck is that in the wall, ceiling is better but you did say old ass nightmare house... 8” sq seems small for new ones so you may need to make a bigger hole but that’s easy. Pretty much plug and play install either way. You’re going to want a drill driver with appropriate bits and a new fan. If the new fan requires larger hole. Use the fan as a template and cut it out with a steak knife assuming you don’t have a drywall stabber/cutter. Then wire nut the same way it was, probably no ground but I would worry about it.
>>
>>2804508
TY anon. I will get my hands on a drill. Since it's not in an ideal location, I might spring for an oversized fan.
>>
>>2801337
what is a durable https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flush_toilet#Flush_tanks to buy as every one i have in my bathroom breaks down every few months. My plumber was putting in lame ones and i don't know what to buy so i can flush and not have to change the device every 4 months.
>>
I have some brass-plated coat hooks that came with the house (built 1940). Unfortunately, they were painted, so stripping the paint off has been annoying.

Even more unfortunately, the brass finish has worn away to the underlying steel in a few places. Once the paint is stripped off, the rust will continue to progress (albeit slowly) if they aren't coated. What should I use to protect them? I have lots of gun oils, but I don't want those getting on our clothes. Plus if they're getting on our clothes, it means they're being worn away over time...

Can I use shellac? It's not like these will have to stand up to much abuse, so I don't think it will hurt anything if the finish isn't the world's most durable.
>>
>>2803761
>>2803672
This is the way. Just be honest with the attorney. No attorney has ever turned a client away because they were crass and said they wanted a pay day.
>>
>>2804426
>would it be more effective or useful than the current state of the art: insecticides?
I dunno, I guess this would need some experimenting
but the point would be to somehow find all the tunnels before radiating them, no? maybe the radiation could be used to scan the walls and also be directed or something to radiate specific areas

>>2804438
I guess you could kill weed with microwaves, see >>2804384
>>
>>2802343
op here. I think for my endeavors id rather get a prefab shed from lowes. any guys have experience with them?
>>
>>2804517
>every one i have in my bathroom breaks down every few months
You may have a supply issue with sand or trash in the line killing the valve. Also, the shutoff valve (stop) is notorious for putting bits of rubber into the line when using it (unless it's the quarter-turn style.
Flush your line when replacing the valve.
I use pic related with great success. If it needs changing after a few years, just slide the locking collar up - pull the valve up and off - slide the new valve on and push the locking collar down.
They also sell 'kits' with a flapper.
>>
>>2804518
>What should I use to protect them?

>>2678737
> Some friendly suggestions for posting:
> - First ask Google, then ask /diy/. Your question will probably be better received if you do so.
>>
File: shedsprings.png (77 KB, 1420x600)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
I got a shed of this shape but made of brick and its roof has been gone for decades.

would adding metal cladding as a roof and put it on gas springs so it can partially open work? any special considerations that should be had? for the side that stays "stuck" to the wall it would need some kind of hinge right?
>>
>>2804518
Good time to learn how to anodized that shit nigga.

>>2804509
Wondering where the wet air is supposed to go. does the wall open up anywhere else?

>>2804438
Salting works to a degree, mix in soap and vinegar as well for increased ph and ???
>>
>>2804438
I rinsed something with paint thinner over the grass and it killed that shit instanty. Never seen a weed killer ruin a plant that fast, like it broke down and went from green to brownish and soft before my eyes.

I’m sure that’s eco-safe.
>>
>>2804585
50/50 used motor oil and diesel fuel
cheaper than paint thinner and just works
>>
>>2804583
>learn how to anodized that shit nigga.
>anodizing steel
learn how anodizing works nigga
>>
>>2804583
That wall is an exterior wall. there's a flapper vent on the exterior wall. I actually just "finished". I will make a thread about my adventure.
>>
>>2804626
>>2804583
Here it is
>>2804629
>>
door in my house won't lock right, if you lock it the handle won't turn but the latch bolt doesn't lock up, it's still springing as if it weren't locked. so you can easily push the door open. how to fix this
>>
>>2803761
>>2804521
>>2804364
I submitted a complaint to the NLRB and will be contacting an attorney this week to see what they think of the potential case.
>>
>>2804560
Part of the allure of shellac is how easy it is to remove with almost no effort - just put in all in a tub of denatured alcohol. Also, as I understand it, it's pretty tough.

I would prefer to avoid other metal protectors if they're going to rub off onto our clothes.
>>
>>2804583
Can't anodize steel bruh. Or at least not enough to matter.
>>
File: condenser_coil.png (1.26 MB, 1080x1080)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
Hi I have two minisplit AC systems (Fujitsu AOU48RLXFZ1) on my property and one system is working fine but the other is low on refrigerant. I checked the evap coils on the indoor units and I didn't see anything suspicious aside from condensation stains (ill try to improve airflow/drainage) but when I checked the outside unit I saw this substantial welt/dent in the evaporator coil/fins. I am totally new to AC repair, can anyone with experience confirm if this looks like it could leak under pressure? If this is likely to be the cause of the leak, is diy a reasonable solution? Or am I more likely to fuck it up further?

If this is a sane task for a reasonably handy individual, any tips on proceeding? I found some stuff on youtube about melting/cutting away the aluminum fins and then brazing the leak with silver solder that seemed to resolve a similar issue but wanted to check with you familiarly insane folks before blindly following the advice of actual internet strangers.

Any other tips for maintaining or fixing these systems would also be welcome! The fujitsu 'authorized technicians' in my area have been.... suspicious to say the least
>>
I'm recently a new home owner and have very little in the way of tools. I have the most basic shit like screwdriver set, claw hammer, wrench set, electric drill with bits.
I have a $500 gift card to [generic hardware store] and am going to go spend it all on stuff tomorrow for Memorial Day sales. What are some tools you guys would recommend? Is there anything better to buy brand new rather than used?
The first project I need to do is to replace a broken water mixing valve for a shower. So I definitely need to get either a reciprocating saw or an oscillating tool to cut it out (it's welded in). Which one of those is better if I could only get one?
>>
>>2804699
Either an oscillating tool or an angle grinder if you can only get one. My oscillating tool I use all the time. Sometimes an angle grinder is the only thing that will work in many situations.
>>
>>2804694
that pic might be where the leak is coming from, but there's no need to guess; either use soapy water or a leak detector (ultrasonic, gas detector, etc) to unequivocally establish where the leak is coming from before trying to do a fix.

It would be senseless to start torching stuff without being sure that you're actually addressing the problem.

> If this is likely to be the cause of the leak, is diy a reasonable solution? Or am I more likely to fuck it up further?
If you've got the tools to evacuate and either weigh in or otherwise refill with refrigerant then it's an approach to try to braze closed with something like sil-phos. Replacing the damaged part with a new one is the other option.
If you don't have the tools or the know how (and from your post this seems likely) then it's a good time to learn-- even if you bought the needed tools and a new condenser, it will still come out cheaper than hiring a tech to fix it. If you're a DIYnosaur then it's a nice skill to have.
>>
>>2804611
>>2804688
anodizing steel is a common practice before applying copper or bronze coatings. Have a look at the Revere Ware patents for making copper bottomed steel pans
>>
File: A1vjgfIhB+L.jpg (1.1 MB, 2560x2560)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>2804707
Thanks for your advice, I'll see if I can get it to blow bubbles...

I don't actually own any hvac tools but bernzomatic has a small torch kit and there are likewise vacuum pump + gauge manifold starter kits at home depot for under 200... Are 3 valve core removers really needed? Seems kinda like it... Getting a 608 cert also seems worthwhile. Any tips for keeping equipment costs sane?

This guy's channel seems to have good techniques and explanations https://youtu.be/J4QvgpYFS9U

But some of his gear seems like overkill for my non-professional situation
>>2804699
>>2804703 is on to something, get an angle grinder and some disposable cutoff wheels
>>
File: 20240527_112627.jpg (3.24 MB, 4000x3000)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
Update on >>2804505
The replacement is in place. It's a terrible, obviously diy job. I no longer feel comfortable criticizing the hack job the previous owners did on most things. I'm clearly no better. I should have just hired my buddy's electrician friend. But alas. Pic related is the final setup. Now, I have to patch that extra clearance in the drywall I needed to cut.
>>
>>2804708
>anodizing steel is a common practice before applying copper or bronze coatings.

From a company that specializes in anodizing:

https://sybridge.com/anodizing-guide/

Aluminum and titanium are the most commonly anodized metals, but other nonferrous metals can also undergo the process. According to the anodizing standard, MIL-A-8625, there are three different types of anodizing:

NONFERROUS

If his coat-hooks are rusting, they are ferrous.
>>
File: IMG_1769-1716833933401.jpg (2.27 MB, 3024x4032)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB JPG
How do I remove this so I can replace this shower? I can't find any videos with a drain like this. Thank you.
>>
File: 1687948986071794.png (247 KB, 550x550)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
has anyone tried using PVC strips for sound dampening/proofing? I might deploy them on walls and ceiling (on a web made out of ropes) in order to reduce noise from the outside into my room. I have one at word and it's fairly decent when it comes to noise coming from the giant compressor outside of the curtain. also I'm looking for keywords to find them easier online in order to buy them in the first place.
>>
File: pvc strip door curtain.png (240 KB, 814x632)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
>>2805010
>PVC strips
>>2805010
>keywords
>>
>>2805010
How noisy is it that you are even considering this. Just move if it's that bad
>>
File: Patent 2363973.jpg (922 KB, 1200x1600)
922 KB
922 KB JPG
>>2804976
pic related.
>>
I'm a bit of a paranoid retard that wants to check the work of whoever installed my sprinkler system, specifically the backflow preventer.
Is this as simple as running each "section" of the yard, and then closing the valve at the BVP and as long as the sprinklers there turn off then I'm adequately protected if I ever lose water pressure at the house and assuming the BVP isn't faulty? Need to pour a shit ton of ant poison because those fuckers are making hills everywhere.
>>
>>2801337
Hello brothers, I am building a pinwheel using roller bearings. However, it must be as sensitive to wind as possible. My requirement is that the shaft MUST be an M6 bolt.
Which leaves me with two main options where I am at: 606 and 696.
Dimensions are as follows:
696 ID:6mm OD:15mm B:5mm
606 ID:6mm OD:17mm B:6mm

which of the two would provide less rolling resistance/more sensitivity?
Does it make sense to double them up? or just have a single bearing?
>>
>>2805169
picrel is what i mean when doubling them up
>>
>>2805169
>I am building a pinwheel using roller bearings

What is this for? If you need almost no load capacity and extremely low friction, you probably don't even want a rolling element bearing.

Otherwise, your greater concern is going to be the lubricant. The default greases that bearings are packed with are generally fairly thick. Using less viscous, high-performance greases will allow lower friction/losses in the bearings. If the load/speed isn't too great and your application can tolerate dealing with adding/removing oil, that's even better.
>>
>>2802253
That depends on how you want it finished.
Gypsum wall board, lathe and plaster, wood panel, carpet, hardwood, tile, vinyl, etc.
>>
>>2804384
Pieces of metal in close proximity but not touching would arc and cause a fire inside your walls where it cannot be seen until after it has burned through.
>>
>>2804573
Yes, you would need a hinge. You will also want a seal similar to the type that keeps freezer doors sealed so it doesn't get drafty when closed.
>>
>>2805114
copper on STAINLESS steel
nonferrous metal

https://www.metalfinishingsltd.co.uk/articles/is-it-possible-to-anodise-steel/
>The term “steel anodising” may refer to a process which is not commercially available for the electrochemical growth of magnetite film on steel substrates in a hot caustic solution. The term may also be used inaccurately to describe other methods of applying a protective coating to steel.
>>
File: OIP.jpg (25 KB, 474x474)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
Can thread tape be used to prevent bolts from loosening? Like a really shitty Loctite? I'm not dealing with any water/fluid flow, I just care if the bolt will stay on.
>>
>>2805254
Might work, but I dont understand why not just put loctite in there. Or wood glue, or superglue or literally anything else.
>>
>>2805203
jej, you might be right.

>>2804384
I asked this in another board and someone told me microwaves won't even touch the termites (probably) because of the wavelength being longer than them, and gave me a video showing ants being unaffected by a microwave oven...
so, it should be like a 50GHz em wave generator or something
anyway, now that I think, the idea seems retarded
>>
>>2805254
No, its teflon tape - it will lower the resistance between the bolt and threads and actually make it easier for it to fall out desu
>>
>>2805254
Hammer some of the threads on the bolt.

Or use locktite
>>
do helix gears need space to move back and forth when changing direction of motion or do they mash well inplace in 90 deg alignment
>>
File: file.png (2.25 MB, 1500x1125)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB PNG
>>2801337
SPC flooring or ceramic tiles?

We're renovating a few rooms that had tile flooring, and our contractor is shilling for SPC but it just looks like thinner tiles which is unconvincing. On the other hand, there's no grouting which is supposed to be great(?) but we've never had any issue with grout in our tiles.
What's the difference really?
>>
File: 20240528_142347.jpg (3.92 MB, 4032x3024)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB JPG
How can I straighten this door so it latches?
>>
File: floor fan for summer.png (911 KB, 1024x1024)
911 KB
911 KB PNG
Summer is here anons, Do you know a better way to keep me fresh? Aside from A/c I've been using this strong floor fan, and a small plastic seat, wearing the lightest clothes i have, like shorts and t-shirts. Humidity is high in my town so an evaporative cooler is a nightmare and mold maker. This nice fan eats 120W but there are some powerful ones.
>>
>>2805455
Assuming the latch pin is landing beneath the hole it fits into:
loosen the bottom hinge, stick a small piece of cardboard between the hinge and the door. Or between the hinge and the frame. Whichever. Refasten the hinge.
Add more cardboard if needed.
>>
>>2805356
SPC is usually much easier to install.
>>
>>2805481
Having a strong fan that blows air outside is always super nice. I had one in my house growing up, like a ~30” fan in the cieling that goes into the attic. On the days where it’s right at AC temps but you want to keep it off, you keep the house closed up a bit in the morning when it’s cool from the night before, and then hit the fan in the afternoon to keep a steady breeze going, and then as soon as the sun starts setting, it sucks all of the hot afternoon air out of the house. Was a good alternative to AC on those 80F-85F days.

>>2805455
What other anon said, tighten and loosen screws til it fits. Or dremel the metal part on the door frame that catches the latch and make it slightly larger, I’ve done that when I was too lazy to get stuff lined up perfectly.
>>
>>2805455
Search: Door hinge bend trick
>>
I went to mount a TV on my dad's wall, but his studs were 24 inches apart, whereas my mount was for 18 inches. My buddy who was helping me swore that it would be fine to just mount it in the middle on the single stud. Should i be concerned at all? The mount says it'll hold up to 150 pounds and the TV was about 60 pounds.
>>
>>2805484
I'll try this first thanks
>>
>>2805529
How long are the screws holding onto the stud? How many?
As long as your screws have good engagement in the meat of the stud and your mount isn't bending funny or whatever with only one attachment point, 60 pounds on one stud oughtta be no problem.
>>
>>2805543
>How long are the screws holding onto the stud? How many?
Two screws, approximately 3 inches long

>As long as your screws have good engagement in the meat of the stud and your mount isn't bending funny or whatever with only one attachment point, 60 pounds on one stud oughtta be no problem.
They seemed good. I pulled on the mount pretty hard, didn't hang on it with all my weight, but I also weigh more than 150 pounds. Wasn't bending or anything funky like that
>>
>>2805356
>On the other hand, there's no grouting which is supposed to be great(?)
The only reason grout exists is so that the tiles won't break themselves with contraction/expansion. Wood/vinyl doesn't need that other than the expansion gaps surrounding the room.
>What's the difference really?
They're easier to install, don't need fasteners/leveling to the degree tiles do. Basically it's the only floor you're going to be able to put over tiles (unless he's taking out the tiles too, but probably not if he's shilling this stuff). All I can say is don't get box store shit, get flooring company 20mil thicc planks if you really want them to last.

>>2805455
Loosen the bottom/middle or tighten the top. Use playing cards as shims if a hinge needs to come out some.
>>
>>2802044
outdoor spigots aren't "designed" for potable water, and may contain lead. otherwise as long as the water itself is clean and you keep the sink clean, there wouldn't be an issue
>>
>>2802757
8ft if you want it to be cheap
12ft max before it gets really expensive (assuming you aren't just moving a couple blocks)
>>
>>2802856
pvc won't make a difference for protection against digging, burying as deep as reasonable and putting a colored ribbon/flag a couple inches above it is your best bet for protecting it
>>
>>2803011
>>2803047
if you live in the US, 99% chance your gas company will come out and flag/spray paint where your gas line is at because it's cheaper to do that then for you to damage it and they have to repair it
>>
>>2803184
unnecessary post, no one is as retarded as you
>>
>>2803409
I can clearly see from the picture that there are quite a few burnt out LED's, probably from a faulty driver, and for how cheap you can get LED strips, they aren't worth trying to repair
>>
>>2803672
wrong board for legal advice, and overall terrible place to ask, but discussing wages isn't a "protected" thing like disability etc, so unless you live in montana, you don't have a case against your boss. you fucked up and should have kept your mouth shut. it's called "at-will employment"
>>
>>2803124
Pull out button push back on fabric snip thread. Repair with vinyl/ leather repair technique (super glue)

Alternatively get a different chair that doesn't trigger your autism.
>>
>>2803606
Put garage mats down
>>
>>2803786
yes, there are high security options, the better you want the more money you have to pay and every one of them comes with installation instructions for dummies, but nothing is "burglar proof", get a camera or move it to a less shitty area. the least you could do is upgraded to a steel door and steel frame/jamb
>>
>>2803856
>>2803857
look at cheap nerf guns and also how tranq darts work

>legal
depends on your local laws
>>
>>2803672
You should have kept your overpaid mouth shut you ungrateful cunt.
>>
>>2803892
>but I got into a fucking fight with the previous owners that neglected to inform me of the fact that there aren't any drainage pipes around the house
unless they specifically lied and said that there was drainage installed, and this was a selling point for you buying the house, it's 100% on you for not getting a proper inspection before buying the place, retard. and you're not getting scammed, installing drain tile is expensive and labor intensive. I don't recommend doing it yourself if you have zero experience and no clue what you're doing. if you're too poor to have someone do it, then just dig a sump pit. it won't work as good as proper drain tile, but it's better than nothing
>>
>>2804985
Nobody? It's an early 90s manufactured home if that matters. I really didn't want to break it not trying to crawl under there, cut the plastic, have rat shit all over me etc so I figured maybe someone would help me avoid that...

If you're a dickhead plumber not answering I will trade for drywall questions.
>>
>>2803856
>neddler pistol
What the fuck is this? There are tens of ways to make something go fast and hurt. Latex tubes are terrible for pressure so I'm going to assume you're asking how to make a slingshot without the stretchy part that makes it a slingshot. The better answer being get a slingshot not a glorified rubber band gun.
>>
>>2805606
Destructive renovation doesn't require unscrewing. Mf home should have access under the pan, yes dorothy you have to crawl under the trailer. It's probably glued to the pan. Maybe look for glue in shower drain or rv floor pan instead. None if which matters if you're taking out the shower pan ofc.
>>
>>2804440
solder directly to the board
soldering isn't permanent, you can always unsolder in the unlikely situation that you need to
I recommend practicing on scrap boards if you've never soldered before however. there are tons of tutorials on youtube and you can get a nice soldering station for sub $50 on amazon
>>
>>2805609
Well I don't know if it is glue in or if I can just unscrew it. How can I tell. I don't want to snap shit below it by trying to unscrew it. Sounds like you don't know either you just wanted to call me a bitch.
>>
>>2804518
you need to re-plate them, no finish will last longer than a proper plating, especially for something that will see constant wear like those. you can make a super cheap set up with a jar, a piece of sacrificial brass and a car battery. youtube is your friend
>>
>>2804694
you can't repair that, it needs to be replaced, either the exchanger itself or the whole unit (probably same cost)
>>
>>2805254
thread tape is literally lubricant. if you posted a picture of the bolt, you could have gotten some better suggestions
>>
>>2805455
>>2805505
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sVAAp8VRcHE
here is an example, super easy to do with just a pliers and a screw driver. I've had to do this for quite a few doors
>>
File: 20240528_225518.jpg (1.94 MB, 4000x3000)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
Just installed my third toilet in my home. I noticed water was, very slowly, pooling up near the base. I thought something might be wrong with the seal, but since the water was also on top of the porcelain base, it had to be something else. I found this tiny hole water is seeping through. Should I contact the toilet company for a new one and reinstall? That would be a hassle. Or is it okay for me to just plug this tiny hole (size of pin) with silicon caulk?
>>
>>2805635
>Should I contact the toilet company for a new one and reinstall?
yes
>>
>>2801337
Making miniatures, been using sculpey, and I had a question regarding sealing. I use little glass cabochons for eyes. I use rubbing alcohol after painting to remove any excess that bled over onto the eyes. I never seal my pieces but I want to. I can figure out what to use. Looking for water resistant matte seal and I want something that I can dissolve with alcohol just like the acrylic because I dont want streaks/speckling ruining the eyes. What are my options?
>>
File: mirrormirroronthewall.jpg (2.06 MB, 3072x4080)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
Is it possible to remove this mirror without breaking it? Can't really get anything behind it easily. Was thinking of duck taping the piss out of it, and then using a heat gun with a few big suction cups to try and pull it off. Don't really need to save it, I'd rather just not deal with broken glass. I'm thinking it'll break anyways where the holes for the lights are cut out.
>>
File: 1732867219823.png (168 KB, 1746x343)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
>>2805603
>>2805594
Sit down boomers
>>
>>2805775
well I assume it's glued like mad. start by removing the lights, it's possible they are most of what is holding it. don't use fucking duck tape and heat, you're just going to make a mess. Use blue tape or clear tape. Use that tape to, as you said, tape the shit out of it. Then with the lights out try prying from the edges. If it doesn't pull off/fall out then you're fucked and it will end up breaking, which won't be a big deal because you taped the shit out of it and it will not shatter to shit.

alternatively you could score the glass, tape it then methodically break it to ensure less carnage. if you're not saving the mirror why bother saving the mirror? it's not even the best way to avoid a broken glass mess because you then have to find something to do with the whole piece/store/move etc.
>>
>>2805768
spray sealant is just clear acrylic paint. you can clean the eyes with a qtip or qtip+water before it's dry, after it drys you're relegated to scraping. if it's a problem look at liquid mask, you basically paint the mask over the eyes spray the piece, let it dry then removed the masking material.

clear coat varnish lacquer for wood would be your alternative sealant but it seems like the spray acrylic matte might be easier save for the potential to dip pieces in the lacquer vs. aerosol spray.

note I've never done either with sculpey, you'll want to test.
>>
>>2805788

Yeah your right. Cleaner to score, snap, and try to pry it off that way. I can tell you that the lights aren't holding anything. It's glued and then they silicone'd all around. I just wanted to see if I could get it off in one piece as a challenge to myself. I'm getting paid well for the job but not that well to spend two days in removing a mirror.
>>
File: Screenshot.png (17 KB, 669x111)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
i want to try my EMI filter + DC blocker which needs AC cables wired to it on both ends
my existing AC extension cords don't seem to be servicable without cutting the cord ffs?
>>
i cut an extension cord
there seems to be a reduction in acoustic buzzing noise from some random AC adapters i tried although it's not completely gone, and it's inconvient to A/B test since i have to plug in cables differently between each test and there's unhinged ambient noise
i will have to wait until things settle down at night to see if it makes a difference for my PC monitor and PSU
>>
>there's unhinged ambient noise
from people talking loudly, playing music, traffic (not always traffic in the transportation sense, just rich assholes pretending to be racing drivers), wind, birds etc
>>
so basically people are gaslighting you when they say that a mains-connected device is silent, some people even say the iMacs which have a fan running are silent
>>
Wanna add some shelves in the laundry room and I was thinking of maybe going wall to wall with a plank. Can someone give me some suggestions on the finish and how much shorter the plank should be and any other suggestions. Was thinking of maybe having two of them and maybe a smaller one on top, using adjustable wall column of holes thing.
>>2805775
Wtf how was that installed it goes from side wall to side wall, right?
>>
>>2805871
melamine-coated chipboard shelving - it should be nice enough to last, but easy to replace if it does mess up
use heavy-duty wall-mounted shelf standards (sold in retail store supply stores) to mount them
>>
>>2805485
Any other significant differences you'd like to point out?
>>2805571
>All I can say is don't get box store shit, get flooring company 20mil thicc planks if you really want them to last.
This I can't guarantee and the market here is filled with shills, really. I'll stick with tiles since it's something I know.
>>
File: goodfastcheap.jpg (2.48 MB, 4080x3072)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
>>2805871

Yeah it's tight. Measure and custom cut. Whoever did it was good, the holes cut for the electrical boxes were perfect.

>>2805788

I got it off....in a million pieces. Couldn't snap the scores cleanly. Just ended up using a couple pry bars and breaking it off is as many bigger pieces as I could. Tape was key in preventing myself from lacerating multiple arteries. Found a little contractor art too behind it too.
>>
I’m installing baseboard trim. I have some cabling behind it (which is up to code and standard practice here in case anyone wonders) so I don’t want to glue the boards down as to keep it accessible. Can’t nail to the wall because it’s brick. Also can’t staple it to the floor because it’s too tall (2.5”) and the top isn’t flat.

Has anyone tried these like double sided nails for something like this? Does they work as advertised and most importantly would they work on MDF end grain?

Other non permanent ways of doing it also appreciated
>>
>>2805910
This is what I’m installing btw I don’t now the proper English term. It has a small concave on the wall side to allow for cables
>>
File: 1701856264262111.jpg (55 KB, 449x406)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>Mini fridge went suddenly loud and started emitting a burning smell
>Woke up the next day and it was F
>Look for a replacement
>They're like £100 used
>Decide to check /diy/ instead

How realistic is this to repair bros? I'm assuming it's the motor or something, but I wouldn't really know how to narrow it down. I'd just be looking for burn marks or something of that nature to indicate what was fucked.
It's pic related so I don't know if parts would be easy to come by with it being somewhat unconventional or if all the workings are basically the same and it's just the surround that's different on mini fridges.
>>
>>2805603
Really wish I could say I was overpaid. My coworkers are the ones getting fucked. I only brought up wages because my boss was planning on cutting hours when most of the people were making $16/hr. Absurd considering his business pulls in $2~$3m in revenue every year with <10 employees.
My point was that he can pay people more and not cut hours. He got pissed off and fired me, the guy that manages him getting this revenue. He fucked himself, he fucked his employees, and now I sincerely hope I can tank his business with a lawsuit because a tyrannical, small, egotistical, small-dicked man does not deserve to be in business or exploit people any longer.
>>
>>2805917
It's probably a Peltier device.
The smoke would be from the fan or the power supply.
Fixable but requires at least a little skill.
>>
>>2805919
I'll take it apart tomorrow and take a look inside. There was no smoke exactly, you could just smell a burning smell when stood near it. The noise it was making was loud as fuck compared to what it normally is though so it was obvious it was about to croak it.
I'll see how I get on. Thanks dude.
>>
File: 1694730241603633.jpg (41 KB, 640x640)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Should a double insulated USB power brick set off a chicken stick?

The brick, charging cable and my phone all read as hot with a fluke voltalert and idk what that means.
>>
>>2805918
Go for it, bro. Talk to a lawyer at least.
>>
>>2805947
There's a voltage converter/regulator circuit inside that provides the 5V usb voltage from whatever voltage the battery bank is at. This introduces some ripple in the output, and your voltage detector is sensing that as AC.

This is normal and nothing to worry about
>>
>>2805900
>the holes cut for the electrical boxes were perfect.
That's wild drilling holes into that size of a mirror, isn't there a risk it will shatter?
What's picrel showing?
>>
>>2805739
What happens if I don't?
>>
ok this is great, while the filter doesn't completely get rid of the noise, it's much less offensive, when my monitor is filtered then what i hear is dominated by the PSU, when my PSU is filtered then what i hear is dominated by the monitor, i can EASILY hear the monitor from across a quiet room, it's unhinged how it's considered normal for electronics to be this loud and no reviews mention it (even the autismal PSU tier list is only based on features and measurements and their mic is incapable of differentiating between PSUs at a low load with the fan at zero rpm), but many end users are starting to complain about PSUs now that quieter computer fans have become common, but manufacturers and reviewers won't do anything about it, the filter removes much of the edgy low frequency buzz from the PSU so the noise is smoother and less offensive, and quieter overall
>>
Bought a subwoofer speaker for $1 thrift. I don't care about the speaker bits, but the wood box had the dimensions for a project I'm working on. Problem is it's glued shut. Do I have to hack it open or is there a good way to get the front and back panels off without damaging them?
>>
>>2805958
Thanks
>>
>>2802793
Best cut it down to small sizes and sell it to Karens who like tacky quaint white trash aesthetics. Rusted metal roofing is worthless for its original purpose and no one without a trailer or headache rack will be able to haul material of that length.
>>
>>2803640
Go to your local building supply store and see if there's a freemason that'll install new glass for you at a nominal fee.
>>
File: IMG_7833.jpg (2.86 MB, 4032x3024)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
I have a lightbulb socket that is shattered with two white and two black wires on two terminals side by side, pic related. I have not been able to find anything about this socket type with a bit of googling. My guess is it’s and easy way to do series connections with the light.

Am I able to replace it with a normal plastic socket from Home Depot with a single white and black, or should I try to special order a replacement of the same type from a supply house?
>>
File: Oscilloscope.jpg (489 KB, 2000x1500)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
Any good reading recommendations on analog oscilloscopes? Just picked up my first oscilloscope to help diagnose some stuff on my car. I've been playing around with it for a few hours and I think I mostly understand how to use this thing, but I can't figure out how to determine the voltage of whatever signal I'm feeding it(if it even does that). I figured out how the time scale works so I can determine the signal frequency, but I wasn't able to find any sort of correlation between the height of the waves and the y axis scale. Each line on the x axis follows whatever setting you have set on the "time/div" knob as long as the variable knob next to it is clicked all the way clockwise. With the large outer "volts/div" dial turned to 5 and small inner "volts/div" dial turned clockwise until it's locked and pressed in I would expect the voltage/5 to match up with the lines on the graph but they aren't even close.

I've got it hooked up to an outlet in my house which is 110v and 60hz. With the time dial set to 2ms it runs a little over 8 lines peak to peak on the x axis which roughly matches up with the 16.6ms cycle time of 60hz. The y axis however runs well over the height of the screen. I also tested with a 9v battery and the highest I can get a 9v battery to read on "volts/div" 1 is 1 line. Is the scale 9-1 on the y axis?
>>
>>2805910
>>2805913
Consider 3M command strips or similar
>>
File: Oscilloscope 120v.jpg (419 KB, 2000x1500)
419 KB
419 KB JPG
>>2806030
So I just figured out that the y axis is 10-1 and that I didn't understand AC as much as I thought. Just did a bunch of reading on rms voltage, peak voltage, and figured out how those voltages are measured. Everything adds up on the oscilloscope now. I always assumed voltage was peak to peak on the y axis, not peak to 0.

This is my houses outlet voltage(not 110 like I thought) with the "volts/div" knob set to 5 and the cal knob set to zero. I've vertically centered it and it measured approximately 3.4 lines from center. 3.4 lines x "volts/div" knob 5 multiplier x 10 y axis multiplier = 170 peak volts.

Goddamn this cheap ass oscilloscope has taught me more about electricity than all my multimeters have.
>>
File: toenail.jpg (25 KB, 234x234)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2805910
>I’m installing baseboard trim

drill small guiding hole
use small finishing nails
toenail it at an angle of 32.5 degrees
use nail punch to submerge nail
use some ''nail hole filler'' paste, or spackle, dry cum, or whatever
>>
>>2806047
>cheap ass oscilloscope has taught me more about electricity

apparently it hasnt taught you that you should NEVER measure line voltage with a scope
unless you've taken some serious precautions to isolate it
coz almost all scopes are grounded and when you connect it to line, there's a 50% chance of making a huge spark
you also have to make sure to isolate any other equipment currently connected to (or sitting on, or sitting next to) the scope
>>
>>2806060
I'm all about learning. My multimeter showed that the probe neutral had continuity on the case and the plug ground, is that the issue? What's the harm of a huge spark? I've got a TV and playstation plugged in on the same surge protector as the oscilloscope.
>>
>>2806047
>figured out that the y axis is 10-1

if using a 10:1 probe, it'll attenuate signal by 10x
often there's a button to multiply signal, usu by 5x, on the faceplate
the volts/division button seems to say PULL on it, which probably activates the 5x
>>
>>2806063
>What's the harm of a huge spark?

could break traces on scope PCB killing it
can vaporize metal parts, leaving holes and scorch marks
>>
>>2806065
well I definitely didn't know the probes made a difference, I figured they were just different contacts like a cheap multimeter.
>>2806066
so I shouldn't ever check mains, or do they need to be checked a certain way? I bought this scope to diagnose car parts so I'll be using it on dc circuits, but I'd like to know.
>>
>>2806060
Don't ground your scope to the mains. Simple as. The probes should be good for 5 or 10 Mohms at 600v easy.

Your 240v mains isn't going to do shit as long as you don't connect ground to mains.
>>
Anyone had experience with Vevor's cabinets versus the old school Huot ones? I have the Huot fractional inches cabinet, it's nice, but Vevor's retail prices are half Huots.
>>
>>2805484
>shimming the hinge
Anon just bend the hinge with a hammer.
>>
>>2806125
Barbaric and ugly. Shim doesn't damage the hinge and is easily adjusted if you over- or undercorrect.
>>
File: SE Michigan.jpg (197 KB, 1280x631)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
Are slab foundations actually common in areas with cold winters? I moved to Michigan and am renting a house between Detroit and Ann Arbor. Like most houses I've been in, it has a basement (full size but I'm aware of "Michigan basements"). But I see lots of real estate listings that state the foundation is on a slab and have no basement or crawl space. Are these listings in error or are there commonly used ways in residential construction to avoid needing a basement in cold weather areas? These usually aren't new construction homes.
>>
>>2805900
Cute!
>>
>>2806165
>Barbaric and ugly

true enough, but the other dude suggested using cardboard as a shim
which is kinda barbaric itself
sophisticated shimmers use washers made of metal or nylon
>>
>>2806186
>it has a basement

and why does anyone need a basement?
unless they're descended from mole people
it adds so much extra cost and leaking-foundation (or settling-foundation) problems down the line
coz of that pesky water that keeps falling from the sky, for no logically good reason
somebody should shut that off
slabs for life!
>>
I had lead paint on parts of my porch. If the areas were scraped and sanded, and then put lead encapsulation primer on it and re-painted, is the lead paint essentially "removed"? Just wondering how this might affect my house down the line
>>
>>2806289
Where do you torture your victims? Basements are the only way to keep the neighbors from hearing the screams when you’re on a 1/4 acre lot
>>
Does anyone know of any heavy duty drawer mounts that can attach to the underside of a table but the sides of a drawer?
>>
>>2806289
>literally doubles your space
>easy access to 90% of utilities
yeah who the fuck wants a basement
>>
>>2806340
Crawlspace bros where you at?
>inconvenient to store things
>barely any room to move around, access space usually under 5 feet
>easier for rodents and pests to get in
>mold and moisture issues worse
>tornados = death
>>
>>2806165
Do you think the frame moved since the door has been installed? Of course you check if the screws are set completely. Very likely, if the screws are fine, the top hinge bent from sagging and it needs bending back.
>>
>>2806301
Just weld long L brackets to a cheap side mount ball bearing slide
Everywhere that sells them is a rip off
If you really want something, you can buy top mount sliding baskets from revashelf for the slides

>>2806289
A short life spanner, I see

>>2806186
It's the cheapest way to build
You insulate the outside and then thermal loss through the ground keeps the ground below the building from freezing
It's becoming more and more common

>>2806019
As long as you get the new wired like the old, it doesn't matter
So get some wire nuts or push fittings and hook the 2 black wires to the black wire on the new (or negative terminal) and the 2 whites to the white wire(or positive terminal)

>>2805972
Heat gun unless it's wood glue
Then use an oscillating tool with a wide blade to carefully open it up

>>2805971
Throw the computer away and get a real hobby

>>2805913
Just do a half assed glue job so it sticks but can be removed
>>
>>2805856
Less caffeine and sugar and wayyyy more exercise
100% success rate for your specific problem
>>
>>2805775
Remove lights, use an oscillating tool to cut the drywall around it and then pull on it with some suction cups
>>
>>2803642
That's basic glass tensioning strip that separates the pane from the metal
You'll probably have to pop the pane apart to slide the new glass in with the tension strip on it

It has a real name but they use the same shit for shower glass
>>
>>2804573
I would maybe the roof come down over the sides for watershed and sealing
Otherwise, a hinge, a properly attached and built platform for the room and a properly attached lifting system would do it.

It's pretty involved though. I would just put in a skylight to a fixed roof or cut in a window or something

>>2804911
At least get it touching the wall all the way around lmao

>>2804985
I always cut the line right below the drain when replacing showers
Drain fittings are cheap AF so even if you have to cut back a ways to a place you can rebuild from, worrying about this is a waste of your own time

>>2805146
It's a sprinkler. It just doesn't fucking matter

>>2805552
I would put anchors into the drywall at each end also
>>
>>2805182
I am building visual wind indicators for a field, precision benchrest shooting, and I want the pinwheels to be able to pick up on the slightest of breezes. Setting up an array digital wind meters would be too expensive and I believe it is not allowed by competition rules.

I will decide to use open bearings with thin lubricant as per your suggestion. I appreciate your input.
>>
anyone know anything about this bullshit?

Like, are they actually doing anything, or is it some do-nothing consortium that looks good on a tagline

https://www.automotivelinux.org/
>>
>>2806483
a taut line with bits of wool with increasing lengths and a hydrometer/barometer would get you close.
>>
>>2806483
>>
File: 6165881_sd.jpg (107 KB, 816x1226)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
(idiot questions ahead)
moving to the US from Europe soon.
i've been told that the US is notorious for unstable electricity.
is it advisable to "protect" higher end electronics, appliances and equipment with a UPS from APC?
the basic reasoning is pretty much:
>a good oled tv + soundbar and a game console costs above $6k, why not protect it with a UPS that's $220 just in case?
and that's just for tv. i'm also thinking about the refrigerator, dishwasher and the washing machine.
is this advisable or is it a wholly stupid idea?

also: i know that UPS have built in surge protectors, but would it hurt to protect the UPS itself with another wall tap surge protector like https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-2-outlet-wall-tap-1500-joules-surge-protector-black/4689054.p?skuId=4689054 ?

UPS in question: APC - Back-UPS Pro BN 1500VA BN1500M2 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apc-back-ups-pro-bn-1500va-10-outlets-2-usb-charging-ports-avr-lcd-interface-black/6165881.p?skuId=6165881
>>
>>2806658
>i've been told that the US is notorious for unstable electricity.
[citation needed]

what other bullshit have you been told.
>>
>>2806658
I have never used a UPS once in my life besides a normal surge bar you can get for 5 dollars. I have never had a piece of equipment burn out from power issues, and I have only ever had power issues during ice storms or hurricanes. It depends on where you live I guess? UPS are nice because if you plug your modem into it, and then plug your PC in, your internet will still work as long as the cable lines aren't damaged like the power.

also don't buy a new UPS you tard. Businesses throw them out all the time and they most often just need a battery. Look at facebook marketplace or craigslist.
>>
>>2806658
The US is a huge place. When I lived in the middle of Atlanta, the electricity was pretty unreliable. When I lived in rural Alabama, the only time it went out was if there had been an ice storm. It just depends on the distribution system in an area and how prone it is to damage. California's electricity is becoming unreliable. People make a big deal out of the winter storm in Texas that took them out for a while but that's not a common event like what's starting to happen in California, but even there it depends on what part of the state you're in.
Atlanta apparently is prone to issues because the local "grid" is actually hub and spoke, with very little redundancy. If some moron runs into the wrong pole a couple miles away, it can take out your area's power instead of being localized just to that street.
That said, I keep my computers on a UPS but everything else is raw outlet power delivered from the electric utility.
>>
File: USA vs Europe.jpg (217 KB, 1024x740)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>2806658
>moving to the US from Europe soon.
Which tiny country are you from?
>>
I have an interest in house building "theory", but there are things I don't fully understand.
>Do the walls of the first and second floor always sit on top of the floors like in the picture?
>Why don't the basement walls sit on top of the basement floor?

pic related
>>
>>2802651
i would sew a bit just to make it a little bit stronger
>>
File: 1689195416445406.jpg (80 KB, 785x847)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>2805254
i've always used teflon tape to crew my car side mirrors
>>
>>2806900
>Do the walls of the first and second floor always sit on top of the floors like in the picture?
It makes the most sense structurally to do it like that, since otherwise the transmission of load is rather awkward. See IRC section R502.4.

>Why don't the basement walls sit on top of the basement floor?
IRC section R403.1 requires all exterior walls to be supported on footings. (In theory I guess you could make the basement floor a slab foundation, and then put the basement walls on top of that. But such a scheme isn't covered in the IRC's prescriptive designs.)
>>
>>2806934
Forgot image
>>
>>2806900
There used to be something called balloon framing but it's illegal now because supposedly the floor in between the stories is needed to slow down fires, and also they don't grow trees that tall these days.
The basement walls are sitting on footings which are built stronger than the floor. I think sometimes the floor and footings are poured as a single unit but I don't know the rules about that.
>>
>>2801760
Damn. I worked at Tektronix for a couple years. Never once used or repaired or calibrated a tera ohmmeter. We had plenty of mega ohmmeters on hand.
>>
Crossposting here and /ohm/.

Looking to build small electric vehicle. It will rely on two motors simply wired to throttles. I want to use two 36v or 48v golf cart motors to do this. What is the cheapest way to drive these motors? I'd assume that proper golf cart speed controllers assume that the rest of the cart will be hooked up and will throw codes otherwise. What's the closes I can get to just throwing a huge potentiometer on it?
>>
File: PWM control of motor.gif (13 KB, 456x334)
13 KB
13 KB GIF
>>2806991
>closes I can get to just throwing a huge potentiometer on it

insane idea
you want to do PWM and drive one big MOSFET, or several small MOSFETs in parallel

and what do you mean by throttles?
you mean an electric clutch?
>>
>>2806996
No, I mean literal throttles. Levers. You push them forward to go faster. Like you would with a simple potentiometer and a smaller motor.
>>
>>2807002
>>2806996
Friend of mine suggested four 100A SSRs driven by a pot and a 5v to PWM converter board. Do you know of anything like this that would be suitable?
>>
File: motor controllers.jpg (101 KB, 1200x512)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>2807018
>SSRs

in the other thread you said MOSFETS
that's a better idea coz SSRs use an optoisolator (an LED light and a light detector) to turn on the input
that means some units are faster than others, so they wont be perfectly synchronized
meaning faster units will be more stressed than slow ones

in any case, these kind of MOSFETs (or SSRs) are likely to cost $50 each, so $200 total
for that price you can buy a complete unit and avoid headaches
https://kellycontroller.com/current/400a/
>>
File: windo.jpg (430 KB, 1505x887)
430 KB
430 KB JPG
hi /diy/
i live in an older apartment (built in the 50s i think), and i want to put up curtains in front of my window. i have an electronic stud finder that works fine on most walls, but it does not work on the walls in my apartment that has windows on it (i have two differnet ones, they both just go crazy kind of, and theres no recognizable pattern). i read this might be because of insulation

>given the age of the building is it possible the external wall is just built really strangely? its got to have studs right

>would a magnetic stud detector help in this situation?

thanks
>>
>>2807105

Verification not required.
>>
>>2807111
so in my cause i should line it up with the window mouldings? that tells me around where it is, but i want somethign close to the center of the stud
>>
>>2807116
Your stud-finder doesn't work because of the header above the window.
Try to locate the two studs well below the window and transfer the measurement to the top..
>>
>>2807119
no that entire wall anywhere near the window is entirely buggered. i have a fancy stud finder that has multiple lights that show you the 'shadow' of the stud exactly. works fine on non-interior walls, but on exterior walls it just goes haywire. like one led will be lit, then none, then all, etc. it just doesnt work anywhere near the window, above or below.
>>
>>2807124
Use a magnet to find drywall screws or nails and go from there.
- or-
You know 'about' where the stud is.
Use an ice-pick to find the outside edge of the king stud.
Move inward 3/4 of an inch to be at the center.
Fill unused ice-pick holes with toothpaste or spackle.
If they still show too much, use an artist brush to paint just the spackle.
>>
>>2807124
If there is an electrical outlet below the window and in line with one side, it is attached to the stud.
Pull the cover off and see where the stud is that it's attached to.
>>
>>2807127
>>2807129
i think im going about this the wrong way
i might buy a magnetic stud finder because it seems handy but another problem is i cant use the studs immediately framing the window because the curtains wouldnt cover the window entirely there would be little gaps on each side. so if i want to use studs id need to use the next one over (which i cant detect) but in the worst case they might be quite far away and not equally distant from the studs framing the window

i wonder if i should just use drywall anchors instead
>>
Is there any reason to not use a ball peen hammer for nailing, the way there is to use a regular claw hammer for hitting chisels etc?
>>
are there any tools to remove a screw where the head has cleanly broken off? screw isnt flush with the surface at least,
>>
Can I use my battery powered weed eater in the rain if I put a trash bag over the back of it? And will it actually sever the weeds if they are wet?
>>
>>2807160
I'm pretty sure that was a stupid question, but I wanted to ask anyway
>>
File: file.png (47 KB, 1280x720)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>2801337
Is this the correct way to install a weatherproof project box onto a concrete wall?
My main concern are the gaskets, since we're trying to prevent having rain water seep into the wall and cause damage.
>>
>>2807163
>we're trying to prevent having rain water seep into the wall and cause damage.
Silicone caulk all the way around the box except of a 1/4" gap in the center of the bottom.
(weep hole)
>>
>>2807170
I used silicone for a similar project, but it was on a smooth metal door instead of concrete. I didn't mention it this time because I thought the uneven surface of the wall would ruin the silicone faster, besides looking really ugly.
I'll do it again here then, thanks!

What about the gaskets? Should I still add them between the wall and the box at the screw holes?
>>
>>2806934
>>2806939
Thanks!
>>
one of my SSDs stopped being detected and is basically gone
i'd like to give a shot at repairing it just for shits and giggles since i have the hot air, multimeter, digital microscope and DETERMINATION
however i'm not sure what i am looking at and i can't find a definitive guide on smd components with photos and how to identify them
where can i find a good source?
>>
File: it's amazing.jpg (131 KB, 1264x717)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>2807325
>where can i find a good source?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMKphim2jg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_oBQ2UFZSU
>>
>>2807358
i guess that this is my best shot...
aight, i'll follow his steps. it's most probably a capacitor anyway
thanks
>>
Is there a lawn care general anywhere on 4chan? Seems like there would be but I can't find it.
>>
how to derust an antique metal meat grinder? the screwcap that keeps the blades in the chasis are rusted tight and no amount of force will unscrew them. are there foodgrade solyvents that will dissolve the rust?
>>
File: PXL_20240602_223346779.jpg (955 KB, 3264x2448)
955 KB
955 KB JPG
Feel free to make fun of me, but this is the first time I've had to deal with plumbing in any way, and I'm going insane over here.
The fitting says it's 1/2 inch, but I can clearly measure the threads to actually be 20.7mm, which is nowhere near 1/2 inch. What the fuck is this?
>>
>>2807525
https://supplyritesteel.com/pipe-size-conversion-tables/
>>
>>2807525
>>2807531
tldr; boomer math, just like 2x4s arent true 2x4.
>>
>>2807533
>>2807531
Well, that's kinda stupid.
Thanks.
>>
why are riding lawn mowers so fucking expensive? the cheapest entry level JD used to be around $1200 now it is twice as much! TWiCE! While the basic push mowers including electric mowers are still in the same price range as years ago.
>>
>>2807600
Supply chain issues because of covid please understand
>>
>>2807420
https://www.reddit.com/r/lawncare/
>>
>>2801357
Looks like an oil tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt7Ib2i8i7g
>>
This thread has passed the bump limit.

It's currently on page 8

A new thread has been posted here: >>2807772

It's time to transition to the new thread.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.