[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm about to embark on the journey of life long brand loyalty of collecting accessories, batteries and various extensions for power tools. As this is like picking your starter pokémon there's no going back once you commit.

So I ask you, which church of power tools shall I forever commit to?
>>
Cool thread OP. I'm in the same boat and hope we get some good discussion!
>>
File: 60.jpg (68 KB, 1152x768)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>2801811
>forgets RIDGID
you left straight white male off your multiple choice anon
>>
Make sure to buy corded tools only. Do not buy lithium goyslop.
>>
File: time for ridgid.jpg (122 KB, 894x746)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
Oh Heavens, Look at the Time.
>>
>>2801832
Bepis would be looking for straight white boys to tool around with.
>>
File: 1700356949135610.jpg (154 KB, 750x740)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
does anybody on /diy/ ever actually do anything or do y'all just sit around posting faggot jerkoff sessions about cordless drills?
>>
I was thinking going DeWalt or Makita, premium brands yes, but who wants shitty tools.

I know a lot of contractor who uses Dewalt, but i feel like makita is a sleeper brand, while black&decker and bosch are sort of allround trash and ryobi being cheap chink shit, could be wrong though
>>
>>2801834
Is that an 18V clock?!

>>2801811
If you have to ask, just go Ryobi 18V.
>>
>>2801835
>>2801837
I love it!

>>2801841
Makita is 8 years behind every other brand and their 18V platform is sort of retarded. Plus not a very wide availability in the US. Bosch is about the same with the availability minus some of the retardation
>>
>>2801853
what would you suggest then
>>
>>2801855
Milwaukee if you're a pro
Ryobi is fine for the 'weekend warrior' who will use the tools a couple times then let them collect dust in the garage
I assume you are the latter because you already don't know this
>>
>>2801811
depends on which of the 2 hardware stores are near you and how much you want to spend:

home depot:
$$$ tier: milwaukee/dewalt
$$ tier: makita/ridgid
$ tier: ryobi

lowe's:
$$$ tier: flex/dewalt
$$ tier: bosch/kobalt/metabo
$ tier: skil/craftsman
>>
File: PXL_20240520_005854416.jpg (2.89 MB, 3875x3055)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
>>2801837
Here's my project. I don't post about it very often here because this board is gay and AIDS.
>>
>>2801811
Angle grinders be corded, you only got 3 options really Metabo not metabohpt one, makita, or non chink fein. that is it. if you don't want these dewalt comes next and the rest is up for grabs maybe metabohpt etc.

In terms of cordless if you wanna go premium brand which is basically anything outside of ryobi/hart/kobalt/rigid/ you best bet is milwaukee, dewalt then makita.

honestly your better off getting a bunch of ryobi and buying tool+battery of a tool from premium brand you want, for example a bosch cordless bulldog, a milkshake router or track saw etc.
>>
>>2801855
This >>2801867
>>
>>2801845
Rigid faggot again…oooh look at my spotless tools
That have never seen a single use. Had you known anything about tools you wouldnt buy that shit
>>
>>2801881
That fucking clutter triggers my anxiety
How does anyone work in thatmess
>>
>>2801910
That's clean compaired to my shop. I cant work in it but never have time to clean it. Oh well.
>>
>>2801910
If only you could see all the stuff that's attached to the ceiling...
>>
Yeah to each his own. My shop is spotless and organized to the point of obsession.
Everyone that sees it has a comment. Not saying im better just that my pendulum swings the opposite direction
>>
>>2801832
> forgets ridgid
They all come out of the same factories, and the few that don’t all have parts that come from the same factories.
>>
File: SkilSaw.png (2.46 MB, 1405x1036)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB PNG
>>2801833
this.
Also, it’s the only tool you need, so brand doesn’t matter.
>>
>>2801882
Dewalt are bretty good angle grinders. Milwaukee too. Best bang for the buck in my opinion would be Bauer from HF. The cheapo slide switch one actually kicks ass and has a nice cord on it.
>>
File: 61c8YPlu5IL[1].jpg (86 KB, 1000x1000)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>2801811
I have never looked back and am pretty happy with every battery tool they make. Except every single one of their saws for some reason. Their saws are absolute dogshit, circular, jig or otherwise they've never made one proper.
>>
File: wethegoyim.png (2.29 MB, 1604x1056)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB PNG
>>2801811
>>2801841
Makita is a sleeper brand—best bang for your buck. Contrary to what this faggot boomer >>2801853 stated, Makita tools are widely available online in the US and 9/10 with free shipping, hell even the best deals are online.

Short-attention span impulsive faggots like to complain and nitpick at the dumbest shit when it comes to Makita because they don't release a new version of their perfectly functioning tools every year. Milfuckee is all about releasing new shit as fast as possible. It doesn't matter if it's complete shit or not like the m18 trimmer that would overheat and die, or the m12 brushless rotary tool that would try to kill itself at the lowest setting. They will just let retards buy them and fix it on the next model so the retards can buy them again. It also doesn't matter if its just some dumb petty shit like "oy vey this one is 0.5 seconds faster at screwing in this screw"; dumbass clowns will still lap it up.

Ryobi is what Black&Decker wants to be. A godsend if you just want shit that works around the house and could care less about tools.

DeWalt can't decide if it wants to outcompete milshitee in all of the dumb shit they do, or be its own brand like Makita and Ryobi (inb4 hurr durr, durr hurr they own by deh same company as milshitee) shut the fuck up faggot

Festool is an overpriced shit retard baiting brand appealing to the Apple/Supreme/Gucci/LVMH consumer base. Avoid them at all cost.

Metabo has the best grinders—barely any cordless shit

Bosch has the best jigsaws—barely any cordless shit as well

Hitachi looks dead af

Last but not least you are left with Ridgid which is like a step up from Ryobi just for their "lifetime warranty" but a step down in their lack of tool range
>>
>>2801881
nice band mill anon
>>
File: 1714942917342157.jpg (226 KB, 1296x1024)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>2801984
Correction, Bosch does seem to have a nice range of tools, it's just that you rarely hear from them. You should try them out and report back to us OP
>>
>>2801811
Makita is the weeb choice. If you're poor, buy Ryobi. If you're not a weeb, get out.
>>
>>2801908
Ridgid*
>>
>>2801938
>happy with everything, except everything
good input. I gave up on ryobi after my first cordless screwdriver battery pack died and they had changed their format. went ridgid and never looked back.
>>
>>2801881
You gonna use the wooden wheels?
>>
>>2802139
If they disintegrate I'll replace them with metal
>>
>>2802148
I know i have seen a bunch of people use tires for bandsaw mills. Wood is probably soft enough to not damage the set on your blade teeth. But if you do go metal you probably dont want your blade teeth running on the wheel like that. I know on a steel cutting bandsaw you sure don't! Either have a step machined on the wheel to keep the teeth running off the edge of the wheel, or set your blade guides to keep the teeth off the wheel.
>>
>>2802148

this butt ugly german has made a series of ever larger wood cutting bandsaws using wooden wheels, so before messing with metal check out his results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBn5uyRd95o
>>
>>2801811
don't forever commit lol
I work at a resale shop and within the past month or two I've gotten DeWalt batteries, charger and drill, Ryobi batteries and charger, Milwaukee charger, Craftsman batteries, charger, and weed eater, and probably some other stuff I forgot about
soon I will be able to charge any battery, power any device
if I come across a lot of power tools I can make use of any of them, it's pretty awesome
>>
>>2801811
I like Dewalt.
>>
>>2801932
the warrior brand cordless angle grinder is the cheap one, and it genuinely fucks hard for being 14.99. you really can't beat that
>>
>>2802264
Do any of the brands have any particular tools they're great at individually (Like drills from dewalt, grinders from milwaukee, power washers from bosch and hedge trimmers from ryobi)? Or do they all just luck out on making good equipment once in a while at random
>>
>>2801811
When my wife and I first bought our house, my dad bought me a drill/impact kit from Craftsman as a housewarming gift, so I exclusively use their V20 series. I like having one battery for everything. Everyone likes to take steamy dumps on Craftsman but I've personally never had a problem. Honestly just pick your favorite color if you're an average homeowner and not a tradesman.
>>
>>2802358
Those tools are straight. Some of them are rebadged Porter Cable, some are rebadged DeWalt. The only reason I don’t recommend them is because Ryobi exists and there are far more lime green tools that run off the batteries.
>>
>>2802279
Step up to the $30 bauer. Day and night difference. And honestly just as good as any milwaukee or dewalt 7amp grinder I have ever used. I like the 7 amp size for light grinding and running a cutting wheel which is most of what I use a grinder for anyhow. If i have a shitload of grinding to do then I'll bring out the 9" grinders.
>>
File: 20220209_103254.jpg (1.54 MB, 2560x1440)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
Ryobi here for the past 10 years. No issues. Not a tradie by any means but nowhere near an average DIYer either.
>>
>>2802136
>cordless screwdriver
You don't deserve power tools, but you did deserve to get filtered from ryobi because they made a lemon competitor to the other cordless meme drivers.
>>
Just buy whatever drill/driver combo kit is on sale at your local box store. DeWalt will have the most availability in the most stores. Avoid ridgid if you're not close to a home depot.
>>
>>2802466
love that place, i should get shelves like that
>>
>>2802466
Cringey
>>
>>2802426
For sure, i have a really old dewalt angle grinder i found in my dads shop, its pretty great. the little one is definitely nice for when Im just cleaning up stuff for welding, but I also bring out the dewalt for bigger work lol.
>>
>>2802466
I see this post today, having already planned to buy those exact shelves this Friday. Now I think I'll get 4 or 5 instead of the 3 I wanted and copy this. Maybe I'll put some behind one another to get a large square table.
>>
DeWank
Milwalking back to the store
Boo-sch
Upper Decker
Chinkobi
Makitrash
>>
File: R86215K.jpg (233 KB, 1600x1200)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>2801837
I finally got to use my Ridgid R86215K 1/2" impact wrench for a grueling 15-20 seconds today to remove a water heater anode for inspection. Thank God I had a quality tool available!

In all honesty it would have been a complete bitch to do without it. It was stuck in there pretty good and there was no room in that tiny mechanical closet for a breaker bar.
>>
>>2801811
Best grinder is for sure the makita. When I worked in demolitions we used these daily and I never saw one burn out.
>>
>>2802466
At least your workbench top isn’t fucking OSB.
Yeah, the bar is that low.
>>
>>2802156
Why are you rating men? I never gave it a thought… guess that means I’m straight and you are not.
>>
>>2801833
corded, even in the sticks a good lipo battery pack and corded tools.
AC outlets are standardized by country, do not reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>2802136
>cordless screwdriver
go yankee, "yankee screwdrivers" are good for low torque quick work. i wouldn't use it to break locktite.
>>
>>2801881
convex, concave? I am not seeing a centering system.
>>
>>2801811
Makita for cheap third party batteries
>>
>>2803337
It's not done yet!
>>
>>2801811
Where Metabo?
>>
Do t know about (you) faggots.
>flops giant shlong on work table
But i buy only Craftsman v20 wireless tools so i maintain battery compatibility across my tools. Also they were fuckin cheap and work good enough for all my needs at home.
You see i work in automotive manufacturing. So my multibillion dollar company supplies all my work tools.
But in my personal life i buy functional shit at a reasonable price rather than wanking off about the snap on tools i never fucking use. Built a nice deck and a semi shit greenhouse with my cheap junk. And its hilarious to make my kids mow my lawn under the battery powered time limit of an electric mower.
>>
>>2803308
It grosses me out that they started selling those $99 holiday special brushed tools. Oh well, a weak brushed ugga dugga is better than no ugga dugga

>>2803327
The last one was MDF and I didn’t mind it. This one, I had just bought a $400k house about a weak prior and another ~$1000 on a water heater and a bunch of other shit, so I decided to skip the $80 sheet of Covid plywood. Also the workbench gets screws and drill bits and stuff sent through it from time to time so it’s sacraficial OSB. Once it gets coated with grease and oil and leftover paint and polyurethane from a project I just finished, the OSB aint too bad.
>>
File: 20220511_200759.jpg (1.43 MB, 2560x1440)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>2803327
That's not my workbench, it's only 900 deep. My workbench is in the middle of the shed. It's 20m marine ply in a bench I made. Picrel. Yes I have RGB light strips in my shed.
>>
>>2802553
Yeah I have 4 levels, Top level for bulky shit I hardly ever need. Middle level for tools and shit, the level below for some boxes I found that are the perfect dimensions to make "drawers", and the bottom level becasue I hate my shit being on the ground and having it a little bit elevated makes it heaps easier to sweep/hose under.
>>
File: Snap-on-Logo-1981.png (19 KB, 3840x2160)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
Snap-On
Milwuakee, Dewalt, and the others you've listed are fine for weekend warriors. Maybe even a "prosumer."
But Snap-On is where you get your money's worth.
>>
>>2804455
This man knows. Milwaukee is fine if you only need it once a week.
>>
>>2804445
Nice bench, it’s on a different plateau than the osb benches.
No problems with ryobi or led lights.
In fact, you should get some of those near-UV leds (or, nearer than the ones you have) … I bet ryobi fluoresces like no other. That would look cool.
If I had to pick any cordless system, the ryobi one+ is #1 on the list.
I love that wire mesh and steel tubing arrangement. I’m just building a new workbench now at the end of my garage and I’m going to copy some of that I think.
>>
If the primary issue is about battery compatibility, I'm sure there are adapters that let you use one brands battery with another brands tool (I wouldn't recommend using different chargers, but as long as they are the same voltage there's a decent chance it would be fine)

In cases where the voltage is slightly different between battery packs, I'm pretty sure there are also adapters that can take care of this as well. If its reasonably close, like 18V vs 20V, you can almost certainly use the 18V on a 20V tool, and probably use the 20V on an 18V tool. If its a larger difference, I'm sure there are adapters with built in buck/boost converters (which convert DC current at one voltage to DC current at a different voltage) that would allow some interoperability as well. For tools that draw a lot of power, it would probably be best to only use a higher voltage battery that gets stepped down to a lower voltage though, because if you use a lower voltage pack for a high power, higher voltage tool, you end up drawing a lot more current from each cell in the pack and might exceed their discharge rating (possibly by a significant margin)

As for your actual question, our family has been on the dewalt path for a while now. They have lots of different tools and stuff, including things you might not normally think about, like a mini shop vac, a really nice fan, and a crazy bright hand held flashlight/search light. Thats not even counting the after market parts. We used to use black and decker, and have a shit ton of their 18V Ni-MH and Ni-Cd packs which for the most part are still perfectly functional. Of course they now have lithium packs that are 20V as well, but we only have like 2 of those and an adapter to fit their older battery pack design on the existing tools we have (which is mostly drills) Personally I find the 20V B&D packs feel less robust than the dewalt and also smaller, and the tools don't feel quite as powerful, but again we have limited experience with modern B&D
>>
>>2804455
Snap-ons have the same guts as everything else. Do you think they have a semiconductor factory making mosfets? DC motors? Sintered gears? Injection moulding facilities? No, china, china, china.
The only thing different is when they order it, they make the plastic shells somewhat thicker for people’s somewhat thicker skulls that things they are worth anything more than every other brand.

Same kind of people that buy “real” gucci or “real” diamonds.
>>
>>2801811
Decide which single tool is the most important to you.
Find it from multiple manufacturers/brands
Go to the stores and try it out (how it feels, check for quality etc)
When you decide which brand you like best, buy that tool and use that brand
>>
>>2804568
>longpost anon doesn’t even know that 18V and “””20V””” batteries are the exact same voltage and the same cells.
>wouldn’t recommend using different chargers
That was a whole lot of words letting us know you’re 100% talking out your ass. Yea in most cases the chargers aren’t going to work with a different brand, even with the adaters. A Milwaukee battery on a DeWalt charger or the other way around will be a mess because the balancing doesn’t even work the same way
>>
>>2804584
You should have a youtube channel. You're the only one here who has inside information that we all need.
>>
>>2804586
I am pretty smart.

But seriously, before a longpost about how everything works, it’s a good idea to know the very basic fact under the thin veil of marketing bullshit like “20V MAX” = 18V by everybody else’s standards. Ever wonder why Yurop’s DeWalt batteries are labeled 18V? Did they lose a couple volts while floating across that ocean? Are the tools less powerful over there?
>>
there is almost zero difference between red blue yellow orange and piss yellow
find the tools you want
buy that brand
dont listen to shills
>>
>>2804622
+1, unless you want something super special like PEX expanders and crimp tools, then go Milwaukee. But for all od the basic tools, they’re all like +/-10%, and if one brand has a better saw, another brand will have a better drill and a third brand will have an even better saw than the first brand in a few months.
>>
I'm pretty new to the tool world and I'm mostly getting acquainted as I get tools for my job and still going to school as an hvac tech.

But I would say Dewalt makes good enough tools for most things but you are not going to get the newest kind of tool available but they do have tools that are better than milwaukee like they have a better ripzaw and generally thier batteries are better as all my instructors swear that the milwaukee batteries. If you arnt doing more technical work that isn't specialized the amount of money that separates the brands doesn't show what each brand specializes in. Like rigid from what I can see does the best pipe working tools for plumbers.
Milwaukee makes a tools that are great overall but nothing that is super specialized. Like not everything needs to be powered by thier batteries like you don't need a chopsaw to be powered by battery.

As an hvac tech in training I'm partial to klein as they make the most specialized tools for an hvac but I like the packout stuff for milwaukee.

Just look up who makes tools for the specific kind of work.
>>
>>2801930
I have a harbor freight one of those, handle broke off no safety guard

Does everything cuts grinds removes fingers slings slag at my dogs

Damages my neighbors hearing
>>
>>2803450
I own the brushed drill, impact driver kit the $99 one, then the brushed multi-tool they work great for house shit

Im went brushless on the circ saw, will go brushless on a few others but the brushed shit is fine especially now that it’s cheap

Hand tools I don’t cheap out on, I got about $9000 in snap-on ratchets
>>
I went with ridgid, I would have saved money going with ryobi

Go ryobi, I wanted something closer to the m18 series of tools we use in the machine shop (boss bought ONE fuel and ONE m18 HP tool we all fight over, the. One old m18 tool and then a bunch of nicad era dewalt to fabricate stuff with or deburr with )

Ridgid is closer to ryobi than it is to Milwaukee.

Ryobi is a fine tool that’s like 75% of a ridgid for like 30% of the price or even less.

I could walk into a Home Depot with $100 and walk out with a cart full of useful ryobi tools

Not the fan, not the lights, no stupid shitt like the hot glue gun
>>
>>2804681
Ryobi only became close with the HP stuff. Ridgid Octane stuff was overshadowing Milwaukee and then they had to even it out.

Also you own the brushed drill and driver, so I’m sure it’s closer to Ryobi than Milwaukee for those tools. The brushless Ridgid has all the speed settings and extra gadgets like Milwaukee, the stuff they cut out by the time they get to Ryobi. So pre- the holiday special orange brushed tools, it was definitely closer to Milwaukee Fuel than Ryobi. 6-mode impact wrench with more torque than the Fuel, the Ryobi HP even isn’t coming that close.

That being said, I don’t shill Ridgid and Kobalt despite being a lot for the money. Since Ryobi dropped the HP stuff, they’re plenty good enough for anybody asking “what tools do I get?”. Go HP with the stuff you’re using a lot, go cheap brushed for stuff you only need a few times a year, and then buy all the random household stuff they offer if you want it.

Also the prices on the Ryobi HP stuff are nowhere close to the prices you claim. Like $20 less than brushless Ridgid for bare tool prices? And the “Free Tool” deals, $179 for a battery kit and free brushless tool, but Ryobi gives you an extra 2.0Ah pack while Ridgid only gives you a 4.0 and 6.0 pack and charger. But Ridgid only has cheap brushed versions of 4-5 tools these days while Ryobi has a ton of older models.
>>
>>2804701
There is a deal right now on ryobi brushed everything, $199

Gets you: drill driver , impact driver, recip saw, multi tool. And 2 filler/junk tools

I paid $109 for just a brushed multi-tool and 2 2ah ridgid batteries today
>>
>>2804728
With that being said, TTI sells Tig welders under the ridgid brand name for $999 for a reason

And that reason is the Mexicans that buy Milwaukee can’t tig weld and the office workers that buy ryobi don’t even know what welding is
>>
>>2804729
> tig welders
Are they cordless? I’m a zoomer like you who lapped up the battery scam to the point I went all red-faced-forhead-vein-popping-zionist-religious-fanatic about it. I refuse to use any corded tools. Even my battery charger is cordless. I buy a new battery to run my inverter to charge the battery, then discard the new battery).
I video tape it so people will think I’m rich and intelligent like our electric jesus, elon musk.
>>
>>2801811
I am happy with my selection of Bosch tools right now. But if I had to start all over and only pick one brand, I'd go with Festool.
>>
>>2804728
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-6-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-1-5-Ah-Battery-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-PCL1600K2/317987591

Yeah, if I had nothing and needed to start all over again I'd probably go for this.
>>
>>2801811
I go with Ryobi. Because they have an 18v line that includes indoor and outdoor tools. So I can use the same battery on my drill as on my mower.
>>
>>2801837
I am on the home stretch of replacing a bathroom fan. something is preventing the housing from sitting flush in the wall.
>>
>>2804796
Nah it’s bicycle powered, drop tube frame you’re supposed to have your trad wife in a sundress pedal for ya
>>
>>2804728
> drill driver , impact driver, recip saw, multi tool. And 2 filler/junk tools
Underpowered junk drill,
To make up for the fact that drill can’t drive a screw, a junk bit-fuckulating impact.
The recip saw which can barely break down a single pallet over it’s lifetime,
Multi-tool… ???? Weird euro-tool, I have like 5 of them I never used…
If that was the “good stuff” then i can’t imagine what the junk is.

Don’t forget to “register” your batteries so when they die in a year you can burn your time to argue for their replacement (unless this is your second go, in which case you can forget it).
Make sure the registration is complete, including scans of your license, soc, and passport; your address, a photo of both sides of your house key, times of day when you are not home.
>>
>>2804872
I'm having a real hard time deciding whether you are based or not. On one hand you seem like a faggy prick talking about designer clothes and carrying around your snap-on purse (its a satchel) while jacking it to troon pron, and on the other hand you say based stuff like this and talk shit about jews...
>>
>>2804809
> festool
>>
>>2804890
Kek. This anon is salty.

I warrantied a Ryobi battery for an old lady friend who definitely ran it down to zero on her tire inflator and then left it in a hot car for months. No registration, no receipt, the worst thing was they drag ass replying to emails, but they sent me a new one and I kept the old one and recovered the one low cell and she still works good.

Also product registration is essential on basically anything like that with moving parts and a limited warranty if you want it to be an easy process. That’s not a Ryobi thing.
>>
>>2804988
>we all agree that we hate ...

You left out tripfags retard.
>>
>>2805004
no they're cool.
>>
>>2805105
>their cool
I disagree with you on that one
>>
>>2801811
DeWalt was my pick. They have way better sale prices than Milwaukee, barely more than Ryobi sometimes, and being able to get them at Lowe's AND Home Depot is a big deal to me since I live closer to Lowe's and just like the store way more than HD.
>>
>>2801811
None. That's stupid.
>>
>>2801811
I have a Bosch drill and impact, the drill is starting to spark when you let off really fast, and the impact could never reach the necessary torque for my 76lbft lug nuts. The impact is neat in that it takes both 1/4 lock-in bits and half inch sockets. I'm disappointed they don't have a yard work line, I went with Canadian Tire house brand for that.
>>
>>2803335
>yankee screwdriver
It's like a screwdriver except you jerk it off to use it

I have a pair of them for the novelty but I've never thought to actually use them.
>>
>>2805142
They’re not very good, I used them as a kid growing up since they were out only screwdrivers at a point until like the mid 2000s when I first got a snap-on set
>>
>>2805139
Don’t expect an impact driver to do a 1/2” ugga dugga’s work.

Also the sparks, that’s just a brushed tool thing. They do it often when the brushes are still pretty new and if they’re old, you can replace them for a couple bucks.

>>2805142
My favorite! I got the Craftsman Mach ratchet for the same reason!
>>
>>2805139
Bosch has a whole line of yard tools, in Europe.
I dont know why they havent come here yet.
>>
>>2805139
Impact drivers are for setting wood screws impact wrenches are for lug nuts etc
>>
File: dog yujiro.jpg (50 KB, 695x703)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>2801811
>looked at some reviews online and decide since I'm not a professional I'll get a ryobi set, two brushed drills and a battery for 100 bucks
>fuck on second thought everyone says milwaukee is better and ryobi is mid tier I guess I gotta get the fuel m18 brushless set so never have to worry about upgrading again
>even my boomer diygod dad says don't ever get anything but the big red
>take the set back to home depot to returns
>rep doesn't even ask for my card
>"alright I just did an equivalent exchange you're good to go"
>nod my head and walk out fast before he realizes or not that he made a mistake
>got a god tier milwaukee drill set brand new for $100
if this isn't a sign from god that I'm meant to be a milwaukee guy I don't know what is
>>
>>2801811
I started Milwaukee because some coworkers we giving me hand-me-downs that are still in ok condition. But once I got a new set of Dewalt drills for Christmas I have decided to put my faith in the black and yellow
>>
>>2801811
Kinda depends on what you do with your tools, for hobby work Ryobi is good enough. If you are gonna build a house you need better stuff.
And if you just need a power drill to make some holes for shelves buy the cheapest one with a cord, it probably only lasts for 30 minutes but that covers 5-10 years if you live in an apartment.
>>
Dont know if you guys watch Project Farm but Dewalt and Milwaukee are the only two brands to consistently get decent results in ever test.
https://www.youtube.com/@ProjectFarm/videos
>>
I don't even understand this thread, but maybe it's because I don't use battery shit. I just buy whatever is on sale and is decent quality and don't even think about the brand.
>>
>>2805539
Well yeah, if you are only using corded you dont have to worry about battery selection and sticking with one brand. Some of us need cordless freedom.
But how do you know whats decent quality? That changes over time. Black & Decker used to be the king and today it is most definitely not. Craftsman used to be hot shit, went to garbage, and is actually making a comeback. Harbor Freight only sold trash for the longest time, and now their two brands are surprisingly good, and a good bargain. What system are you using to find the best brand and model for a particular tool you need?
>>
>>2805557
Black and decker was never the king, it was always trash, even in the 60s and 70s, however it was the trash of it’s time—which, if brought into the modern world, would destroy everything in build quality. We expected more back then.
Cast metal tools were more common back then, so it looks pretty solid. It was solid. I still have some of the black and decker commercial stuff, which you’d think is absolutely ridiculously good. It is, thats why I still have them.
One of the main reasons tools transitioned to plastic garbage was electrical, I remember them making a big fuss about being “double insulated”
Like when your car has “ABS” brakes emblazoned under the logo, or “rack and pinion steering” … omg! I need this car.
>>
>>2805562
B&D Wildcat angle grinders were classic industrial tools. The later suicide of B&D was so famous it was studied in colleges as an example.

I've had those apart and contemporary Makita were at least as good. Modern angle grinders are far better and double insulation is relevant on wet jobsites. After fixing heterogeneous fleets of tools I don't miss any of the older corded cast alloy classics because that really didn't matter. Housing breakage is rare.
>>
>>2805539
With all the batteries and accessories these companies produce there is a higher likely hood you'll be wise and stick with one brand. Nobody wants 4 different chargers and 7 different batteries laying around.
>>
>>2805539
>>2805686
It’s nice to have different size batteries as well, which is expensive if you want to do it across multiple brands. Using a drill to sink a few screws in a light fixture overhead? Grab the 2.0 babby pack. Doin a handful of 1/4” holes in steel? Grab the 4.0. Going wild with the hole saw? A 6.0-8.0 pack could be your friend.
>>
>>2805562
>Like when your car has “ABS” brakes emblazoned under the logo, or “rack and pinion steering” … omg! I need this car.
my favorite is "POWER WINDOWS AND AIR CONDITIONING"
yeah it's a new car, better have that
>>
>>2805829
I have to work a full 8 hours so I grab the 800 Ah pack, which is how much a corded tool has available.
Everyone on site switched to corded when I started paying them for how much work they were doing in proportion to their tiny battery capacities. Obviously, they weren’t getting much done.
My mom has a cordless for hanging picture frames, drilling holes in drywall.
No wonder everything using unskilled cordless-tool using labor costs at leas 10x and take 10 times longer. It would take even longer still if they hadn’t discovered that that—even when the battery dies—you can still kind of twist the drill and slowly turn the screw in. In about 20 more years they might get beefy forearms instead of meth head arms that blow around in the wind.
>>
>>2805843
I feel ya.

And then there’s the real world, where most tools see intermittent use. Like you take 5 seconds to cut a board, and 5min to line it up and install it. There are very very few situations where you’re running a tool more than a couple minutes at a time, which is why cordless have become so popular and it’s far more convenient to not be tethered to the wall like your fridge.
>>
>>2805849
Cordless is the only game in town for me, a solid 50% or more of the stuff I do with my tools is in places where there aren't outlets at all or where I'd have to use hundreds of feet of extension cord snaking around corners and through brush etc. just to drive a few screws or make a couple of dozen sawzall cuts.
>>
>>2805885
I don’t live in the bush with Ted Kaczynski.
I think I’m in the majority.
So, no, there is no legitimate cordless argument here except for rare snd niche situations.
How much do you shills get paid per post? Do you get more if we reply to it?
>>
>>2805896
I don't live in the bush either, I'm in the suburbs and only have a 1/4 acre property (albeit on a hillside and the house is in one corner). You must live in some insanely sheltered pod situation if you really don't encounter situations where cordless is necessary or vastly more convenient.
Just in the last few months I can think of:
>using sawzall to cut up damaged fencing at the far corner of my property, over 100' from the nearest outlet
>also using sawzall to cut up and move a large tree branch that was blocking my street after the garbage truck knocked it down
>disassembling furniture in my storage unit, which has no outlets, to make more space
>helping a friend fix his car in a parking lot
And that's not getting into all of the times around the house where I just needed to drill a few holes or turn a few screws and having to drag an extension cord and find somewhere to plug it in (which usually means moving furniture) would have made the job way more of a pain in the ass.
>>
Daily reminder that you’re absolutely retarded if you buy Harbor Freight’s “Better” and “Best” cordless tools and thing you will save tons of money compared to the name brand.

DeWalt has a 2pk of 4.0s for $5 less online, $25 less in-store. And a 2pk of 5.0s for $15 more and that’s not even one of their good sales. Or a 4pk of 3.0s for around the same money as the Hercules 2pk.
>>
>>2802156
kek wtf i saw" a video of this guy rating fans.his channel really is random.
>>
>>2805939
Why would you ever pay for a Hercules battery?
You buy the battery+charger combo for $100 and then you get a tool. Between a drill/driver, impact driver, and then a saw/sawzall or another tool you'll have 3 tools, 3 charges (that you can sell for $20-30), and 3 batteries for $300.
You aren't getting that from DeWalt.
>>
File: metabo.jpg (71 KB, 1000x1000)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>no metabo HTP answers yet

it's literally the thinking man's power tool brand.
>>
>>2805829
Yeah if you have the same brand then its not a problem to get one or two each of 2Ah, 3, 4, 8, and 12. Which I do have.
>>
>>2805896
You are so ignorant you don't even know how ignorant you are, and you just announced your ignorance to the rest of us.
Had you ever actually done some real work around the house, in the garage, or in your yard, you would have understood the hassle of trying to drag a power cord around you all the time and how incredibly convenient it is to have battery operated tools. Not to mention if you ever have to work on something when the power is out in a particular room or building and you are unable to run a gasoline or diesel generator, or unable to run 200 feet of extension cord from another building. In addition to the hassle of dragging a cord around sometimes its genuinely dangerous like when using any kind of cutting tool. My mother at least 3 times in her life has chopped the cord while using a hedge trimmer. We got her a battery hedge trimmer and now its not an issue. Same deal with circular saws, jigsaws, reciprocating saws, those nifty little oscillating cutoff tools, and a bunch of other shit.
>>
>>2806016
>Hercules
And according to a buttload of reviewers the Harbor Freight brands arent as shitty as their reputation. You can actually do real work with them and not have to worry they'll break on the job.
>>
>>2806016
You're not THAT far off with DeWalt if you buy stuff on sale, I got my brushless drill+impact+oscillating tool+2 2ah batts combo for like $200 a few years back, and then you can get the $200 4ah+6ah pack on Black Friday sale (which lasts all month so you don't actually have to do the BF bullshit) and pick a tool of your choice for free, so you end up with 4 tools and 4 batts for $400 and they're name-brand shit with good store and manufacturer backing.
>>
>>2806162
Yes, the new Harbor Freight stuff isn’t that bad. But my entire point has been why the hell are you going to risk your money on HF with their sketchy return policies and spotty QC and risk of getting Lynx’d on your cordless tools when you can go with a trusted name brand for about the same money? Hell, sometimes less money if you catch the name brand on sale.
>>
>>2806160
I bought a corded 1/2” impact wrench. Was my first impact wrench. When I realized what a useful tool it was and would get even more use if I didn’t have to spend time unravelling cords each use, I bought a cordless version within a year. Even on a simple tire rotation in the garage like 20ft from an outlet, it’s so nice having the cordless one and not having to worry about the cord getting wrapped around the tires or jack when going from corner to corner.
>>
>>2806160
If she chopped the cord three times, then she shouldn’t be using a trimmer.
I’m guessing she’s a boomer, though, and you’re not strong enough to wield it and, more than likely, have no skill in doing so.
If you guys weren’t smart enough to use gas powered tools for outside work, I can’t get you to the point where you’d be able to comprehend the futility and self-defeating arguments you make about cordless tools.
And elder abuse. You should be going over there and doing it for her to begin without her having to ask. Just listen to her instructions (for once).
Even with all that accidental clipping, a cord is easier to repair or replace with standard parts, much cheaper, and will last orders of magnitude longer in it’s lifespan, and in individual use on a job.
Cripes, I feel sorry for your family.
All the other “nifty” tools you mention I also have, but I’ve had them for many decades. They’re corded.
But you do make a good point, you can buy your parents little buzzing toys to keep them happy doing light work around the house. Just take away the ladders and make sure they don’t try and cut into the drywall where the scary electricity might me hiding.
>>
>>2805935
>using sawzall to cut up damaged fencing at the far corner of my property, over 100' from the nearest outlet
Do you think the roll-up a whole plywood factory next to a tree and start making plywood? No. You take that shit back and process it there. It’s called “how to do basic things” — there should be a book about this for zoomers, I’m sure they would find it fascinating.
>also using sawzall to cut up and move a large tree branch that was blocking my street after the garbage truck knocked it down
Call the city. They have arborists that will fix it.
>disassembling furniture in my storage unit, which has no outlets, to make more space
Jesus fuck. Are you for real? Get picrel they’ve made for a hundred years. I know you don’t like the color, and “can’t use” it on that basis, but the do come in different colors.
>helping a friend fix his car in a parking lot
I can rotate and change tires and oil as fast as you can without any power tools. I keep a set of—are you ready for it—hand tools, like sockets, breaker bar, wrenches in my truck for emergencies.
I’m dying to know what you needed cordless tools for. Buffing the hood? Vacuuming the interior? Welding on a straight pipe because the cat was stolen? — waitaminute… forget that last one. There’s no cordless welders.
>>
>>2806257
I had to cut the fence up into smaller panels so I could move it.
The city takes days to show up for something like that and the tree was down in the exit of a blind corner where somebody would have crashed into it if I'd left it there.
My storage unit has a fluorescent fixture so you can't use one of those adapters
I was helping replace damaged suspension components on an older car with rusty-ass bolts. Not only is using an impact much faster and easier, it's also safer because you're not putting big torque loads on a car that's precariously balanced on shitty jackstands and it can also spin shock/strut top bolts right off while hand tools will just spin the shaft and force you to come up with some janky setup for holding it.
>>
>>2806016
>>2806189
>>
>>2806257
Yess, picrel works great for all of those non-grounded tools, right?

And hopefully it’s a redneck basic bitch light fixture and not anything middle class or you will never get that into a socket and attach a cord unless you can borrow you’re buddy’s cordless impact driver to disassemble the light fixture.
>>
>>2806263
> non grounded
Most corded tools are double-insulated for the past 40 years… did you miss that fact? No grounds.
> redneck basic bitch light fixture
It’s a storage unit.
It would take me a few minutes to wire an outlet end there using the existing marrettes. At most.
This is a basic skill every man should have.
> cordless impact to disassemble light
Now you’re trolling, I got a kek out of that at least.
Good luck charging your cordless tools if you can’t handle basic wiring.
You’re gonna need it for your hotplate making ramen noodles every day when your wife makes you live in the storage unit.
>>
>>2806261
> cut fence into bits
You don’t have a chain saw? I’ve taken apart lots of hardwood pallets with adhesive twist nails just by kicking out the slats. I’m thinking I could move or drag a fair sized “panel” 75 feet. You’re probably one of those guys that makes a separate 200 foot round-trip for each piece. I’m not.
> fluorescent
Just tap in before the ballast. It’s even easier, because you can run the extension cord right out of the box.
> rust damaged suspension components
So help me out here, he was able to drive it to the parking lot, yeah? Then he came out of (let’s say walmart, with new tube of astroglide) got in his car, pulled forward a bit, and said “hey this ride’s not smooth enough” I need to replace the whole suspension right fucking now. Thank god he had you on speed dial with your stock of suspension “components” ready-to-go on a moment’s notice.

More likely you’re one of those people who change their oil in random parking lots because you’re cucked by your HOA and they don’t allow that.
Well, that’s your fault.
>>
>>2806338
The panels were like 15'x8', even if I could move them around the yard they wouldn't fit in my truck. The only chainsaw I have is, ironically, a corded electric one that's a total piece of shit and it would've been way more trouble to use, plus it would've torn everything up, using my sawzall means I have a couple of good panels that could make a good desk or table.

Aside from the fact that I'd get thrown out of my storage place for fucking with their wiring, the ceilings are like 15' tall so access would be a bitch and the lighting is on a motion sensor, I have no ability to turn it off to safely work on it.

My friend drifted his car into a curb and got it towed on a flatbed back to his apartment parking lot - and before you say it, there's no accessible power near where the car was, and it would not have been possible to run a cable from his apartment, which is upstairs and nowhere near his space.
I have a house with a driveway but getting his car into it wasn't possible (street is too narrow for a flatbed to back up to the driveway) and even bringing it to the street in front of my house would've cost hundreds that my friend didn't have.
>>
Are there inverters to 110/220v (sine wave) available for dewalt 18v/20v batteries?
Ryobi has one ( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ5_FhzD09g ) which can power 150w. Since I want it as a backup system for power outages to keep the fridge running and maybe power the gas-operated central heating, 150w is enough. But I want it to run on the batteries I use (not an extra set which will be empty or broken if you need it)
>>
>>2806523
I assume, but don’t know for sure, that the entire current from a dewalt pack is available from its terminals. As you are probably aware, the cell arrangement is the same as the ryobi 18 V.
So, you could probably wire it directly.
As far as I know the cell protections are in the packs themselves.

Now you can use all your corded tools, too, when you need to cut down a fence 100 feet away from an outlet, or sawzalling a bunch of stuff in a prison-cell-like storage unit where they won’t let you cook your own ramen noodles when your wife kicks you out.
>>
>>2806349
> sawzall
> make table and desk
I think most fine furniture is made from old, rotting, fence grade, pressure treated softwood lumber. The really good stuff has fine cuts from the sawzall—the choice of only the finest craftsman. Not those rougher cuts from a chainsaw that sam maloof used. Of course, the best of the best, build it right where the tree stands. Like Ikea.
>>
>>2806523
Yea, almost every brand has one, at minumum a USB version. DeWalt has a big 4-pack inverter that’s good for 1800W IIRC, it sits on top of that Versastack system.

>>2806325
>It’s a storage unit.
Yes because that’s the only place anybody ever uses power tools!
>>
>>2806544
USB =/= 110V/220V, DeWalt is modified sine, not pure sine. Not all equipment will like modified sine.
Not sure the Ryobi is sine though, the more expensive model is advertised as delivering pure sine but this model is not which probably means it is modified sine.
Guess it's better to buy a pure sine inverter that takes 18V as input and MacGyver a slot for the battery pack (maybe throw in a battery switcher as well to use more batteries or different battery types)
>>
>>2806549
What about the new MX Fuel? You ready to drop $10k?
>>
>>2806556
More like $10.
Right now I'm thinking of using 2 M609 boards for undervoltage protection and 1 YX850 board to switch between two batteries. Those boards work at 18 volts so that should make it an uninterrupted power supply where I can swap battery packs if needed. Get some battery adapters to use as slots (and for using the batteries of the lawn mower as well) and that should cover the 18V part of it.
But I haven't found a pure sine inverter that accepts 18V as input yet.
>>
>>2801811
get whatever is most easily accessible to you, what your coworkers/neighbors/friends who you might be using them with have, what you see on sale the most, or your favorite color.

there are no wrong answers. they are all garbage chinesium made of the same parts at the end of the day.

i picked up like 8 tools and 2 batteries Milwaukee on same for fathers day 3 years ago and all of them have been beat to hell and still work fine.
>>
>>2801811
Fein if you can afford it. Makita would be second best, Bosch and Black and Decker suck. Ryobi seems alright from what I've seen (only a single drill though, so no guarantees) and dewault and milwukee, I don't know.
>>
>>2806544
> go to storage unit.
> randomly decide to cut something into pieces getting sawdust everywhere
> out of charge after 5 minutes
> close everything up, drive home, charge battery
> drive back to storage unit.
> gate attendant marks your account with the “retard” bit.
> finish cutting the ikea particle board shelves.
> dust everywhere, efen on your velvet dogs playing poker picture your wife sent you packing with
> no vacuum
> leave dust and everything since the next time it is opened it will be at auction on storage wars.
>>
>>2801811
DeWalt Milwaukee or Bosch
For your own sake, avoid Ryobi
It's just not good stuff

You put 4 good brands in then added Ryobi and b&d trash to the mix lmao
>>
>>2801938
The drills and drivers are super underpowered

You might as well just buy Worx now that worx went brushless. At least they don't have breakable battery stems
>>
>>2802466
What a fucking waste of money holy shit
>>
File: 1000023757.png (166 KB, 640x598)
166 KB
166 KB PNG
>>2801811
HF Hercules
5 years warranty
>>
>>2806919
Except the cut-out tool with a 90 day warranty.
“All” doesn’t mean all from whatever country they are from.
>>
>>2802288
Given the breadth of each brand, you should be looking for specific features for each tool

Brushless all around, obviously, but also:
-Steel chucks on drills
There are bad ones, but a steel chuck will last effectively forever. If you're buying once, you need hammer function too
-Rigid decks on circular saws
Corded or cordless, a flimsy deck will stunt the life of any circular saw. If you're buying once, you also want a fence for ripping, blade brake and dust collection options
-rigid decks in jigsaws
This didn't use to be a problem but lmao. You also want a slack adjustment for the blade (how angled the blade can be). The only real differences are how hard they'll pull when cutting hard or thick stuff. The weak brands like worx, Ryobi and off brands just don't have it (except the worx convertible recip). If you're buying once, you want a blade release that can't break- the less pieces the better.
-working load on oscillating tools
Most won't say explicitly but there's a limit that you can go over and burn up a brushless tool. This is where the higher end brands shine. Milwaukee, DeWalt (higher end), Bosch, metabo all have tools designed to either shut off or not burn up. This goes for other tools as well
-one button bit release on routers
You shouldn't expect to do any heavy lifting with a battery router or sander. I use a battery trim router to match scallops and other custom trim details but I'm not doing large rabbits or anything
If you're buying once, a robust locking mechanism for the bit depth is a must as well
-the longer body reciprocating saws
The new stubby ones just don't have the power the old style ones do. Again check the bit release
-lighter bodied nailers
This one really sets the brands apart. Like the kobalt and rigid 18gauge nailers weigh a fuckload. It's cool to buy one that shoots staples also, but it increases jams
If you're buying once, you want a quick release over the firing mechanism to clear jams
>>
File: IMG_2143.jpg (209 KB, 1280x620)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>2801811
> I'm about to embark on the journey of life long brand loyalty of collecting accessories, batteries and various extensions for power tools
I was in a similar situation a while ago when I bought my house and there’s just too many options. Decided that I don’t want bottom of the barrel crap (einhell, scheppach, parkside; I’m a euro) but I actually don’t need pro grade stuff, but wouldn’t mind it, so whatever.
Milwaukee was the only one that had a set with two tools I actually need and a bunch of batteries for a good price (all the other sets where two tools or so I need and one I don’t, so i technically didn’t save any money in that deal) so I went with them for a compact 12V option. And then I added Metabo 18V to the mix, because >muh made in Germany (at least for their highest tier stuff) and since they’ve got some quite affordable (Chinese) garden tools. I have now built a shrine to the battery gods (pic related).
>>2806938
> -working load on oscillating tools
Most won't say explicitly but there's a limit that you can go over and burn up a brushless tool. This is where the higher end brands shine. Milwaukee, DeWalt (higher end), Bosch, metabo all have tools designed to either shut off or not burn up.
I guess it’s good that it doesn’t burn up, but I gotta say I’m kinda disappointed with my Milwaukee oscillator. Currently scraping some shitty paint from drywall and even though it’s only running at 4/12, it always switches off after some time. “Only heavy duty” my ass! On the other hand, my corded Metabo sander just keeps running for hours and hours without breaks, even thought it’s from their cheapest line.
So: Metabo > Milwaukee.
Milwaukee appears to invest too much into their whole heavy duty USA!!!! Marketing bullshit instead of actually making good tools, whereas Metabo just werks.
>>
>>2806598
Why does Bosch "suck"?
I have several of their tools and they aint failed in 11 years.
>>
>>2806938
>There are bad ones, but a steel chuck will last effectively forever. If you're buying once, you need hammer function too
You should check out individual models before you buy. Torque Test Channel just posted a vid showing that many Milwaukee tools of a certain model number are having lots of issues. But its not because they are slacking on quality. Looks like something went wrong with a particular batch of tools, and they are working to replace them for customers.
>>
>>2801811
>>which church of power tools shall I forever commit to?
>I bought a 1/2" corded Milwaukee Magnum late 80s. Still have and use it.
Bought M12 impact drill, 2 batteries & charger at yard sale 2018, well used
Still going strong
Bought M12 drill motor & new battery 2022
Use it weekly
I like the brand, lots of options and aftermarket batteries too
>>
>>2806924
It says 5 years right there. You blind?
>>
>>2806948
>I have several of their tools and they aint failed in 11 years.
Makes me wonder if you use them.
I've used a few of them to failure (to be fair, most of them were inherited from my grandfather). The main problem is that they aren't made to be repaired. For example, where my Fein angle grinder has a roller bearing in a screwed block that I could remove with a vice and some wood, the three Bosch angle grinders I've used up (and one black and decker) all had bronze bearings pressed into sackholes that are impossible to get out. Of course, spare parts for 30+ year old tools weren't available, so they ended up as trash.

Also, Bosch tools are just cheaply made. Again, I'm comparing them to Fein, where all stressed parts are metal, and the original packaging contains a list of where they bought the parts they don't manufacture themselves - for example, my drill, which I got as a gift from my grandfather, who used it for 50 years as a car mechanic has a Röhm chuck on it that's all steel and still perfectly smooth as long as I remember to lubricate it once a year. Meanwhile, the four Bosch drills I've used so far all had plastic chucks, and three of them had issues with releasing larger bits, while the fourth wouldn't hold round bits properly and only worked with hexagonal bits.

I could go on and on about different Bosch tools and how they failed, but tl;dr:
my Fein tools are still perfectly fine after 30-50 years, and use standard parts that I could replace if I ever needed to. My Bosch tools mostly failed after 10-30 years of use, and were all assembled in such ways that the failing parts could not be replaced easily, or in some cases, below the cost of a new tool.
>>
>>2806999
Checked.
>>2807011
Could it be that you’re comparing dyi/homeowner tier tools with pro grade stuff?
AFAIK, Bosch always did all kinds of stuff, with a lot of that being cheap to mid price, •Baumarkt• stuff, whereas Fein only entered the diy market a few years ago and was essentially unavailable and unknown outside of industry/professionals?
I only got old Bosch stuff too (which works, not great not terrible) so I can’t really say much about their new stuff, but from what I hear, Bosch blue is decent. Fein on the other hand, is still pretty good, but their new stuff is just your average tool handling wise, that could be any brand if it didn’t say Fein, whereas oldschool Fein, you just handled it and you just felt it that this is some damn fine stuff.
>>
>>2806999
> 90 day warranty
This is why you will forever be a dumb cuck, like all cordless fanboys.
>>
When I'm taking a crap, sometimes I think "What would Bepis do?"

Watch me from the blue soup. Also probably buy his orange plastic toys back from the pawn shop if he could hit on a scratcher.
>>
>>2801811
air tools are better and universal
>>
>>2806968
>12V
>aftermarket batteries too
How to say you hung a shelf once and that’s the extent of your power tool use without really saying it.

>>2807066
Hercules and Bauer owners aren’t the most savvy people

>>2807086
While I’m dropping the Cosby kids off at the pool, I check Home Depot’s “Deal of the Day” page.

And I haven’t pawned em yet! In fact, I need a project to give the new palm router a breaking in.
>>
>>2807130
Oh shit, you still have a 12 volt Ridgid. They stopped making them a while ago. Those are pretty good especially for the price.
>>
>>2807143
The 12 V Ridgid series were golden.
You can easily make 12 V adapters for them…just hang a XT60 plug out the back, so you can power it with a jump starter, car battery, or solar… It’s funny, the RC guys wouldn’t bat an eye doing that since a lot of them actually build a lot of their own stuff, and ironically it’s a lot more standardized in that world.
New Li-ion batteries are very high drain so they actually have quite a bit of power, although for shorter durations, but they’re adequate for most grab-n-go jobs.
I had quite a bit of trouble with the 12 V packs, but it’s very easy to replace the cells with new high-drain ones…it’s something you can do yourself.
Obviously, we want to live in a world where we could replace the three 18650’s with a single 46800 but I think that would be a bit big, and the alternative, a 21700, would, by itself, be too small.
Of course it would be 3.7 V with a single cell, but more overall power since there is no gaps and the density is higher.
>>
Since this thread seems fitting: I need a large-ish angle grinder for general /diy/ use and for my coming project, removing a small brick wall, so I need it to make a flush surface with the connecting wall.
Now, battery or not?
It seems like corded is the obvious solution for an angle grinder, but in some dusty, constrained and dark space, having no cable to worry about seems neat too. Plus, I already have like 4 5Ah batteries in CAS 18V system, so I’ll likely never run out of juice in my /diy/ use.
What do, reddit?
>>
>>2807143
I should’ve returned them like a week after I bought them. The Ridgid kit was $129, the M12 kit was $149 and went on sale with a free ratchet or hackzall right after I got the Ridgid stuff.

>>2807295
A big (>5”) grinder is going to run through batteries really fast. If it were me, I would have the standard 4.5” grinder in a cordless version, and go corded with the 7”+ grinder since that’s probably only going to come out on rare special occasions.
>>
>>2807130
>How to say you hung a shelf once and that’s the extent of your power tool use without really saying it.
>hey butthole
how do you say can't read? 1/2 corded magnum
>>
>>2801837
>sit around posting faggot jerkoff sessions about cordless drills?

are you implying there's more to life?
>>
>>2806948
I don't trust companies that shit out all sorts of products in unrelated fields.

Bosch makes everything from blenders, hairdryers to handmixers and tools. Now granted these are probably different divisions in the company, and some of them might straight up just be acquisitions they slapped their name on.

But still, if I'm buying a drill. I want to by from a company that has been making drills, and only drills, the past 80 years. Not handmixers not blenders, just drills.
>>
>>2810109
Bosch mostly makes car parts
>>
>>2810157
>mostly
bro, they make industrial sensors too. they make everything
>>
>>2810157
Oh wait youre that one cocksucker who keeps spamming every single tool thread with pictures of your asshole, beggin people to shove power tools in there. Youre a fucking faggot, and obviously clueless on anything that happens in the world. So I suggest you pack that aids acne ridden fat cellulitic ass of yours and go to /gay/ for your homoerotic needs, faggot.
>>
File: laughing mew.gif (978 KB, 636x476)
978 KB
978 KB GIF
>>2801811
>brand loyalty
>>
>>2801811
I recently committed to Milwaukee. Specifically the M18 Fuel line of stuff. So far, so good. Have a half dozen or more tools and all work great.
>>
>>2807032
>Could it be that you’re comparing dyi/homeowner tier tools with pro grade stuff?
No, I'm talking about professional tools. Bosch blue (Or, with some of the really old ones, just plain Bosch) and Fein. Guess I'm a bit lucky, since my family was always ready to spend money for tools. I didn't know Fein was making any diy stuff nowadays. The two new Fein tools I own are still high quality and properly designed.

But remember, all the Bosch tools I'm talking about are around 30 years old. They might have improved since - I wouldn't know, as I'm not going to spend money on something that has a 50/50 chance of being trash when the same money can get me something I know is quality.
>>
>>2801811
I have 3 different power tools brands and adapter plates for their batteries. I'm a gigachad
>>
>>2807295
Angle grinders doing real work tend to drain batteries faster than just about any other tool. If you are able, use a cord. Same thing with circular saws. If you have a huge project with all day cutting, you really want a plug in.
>>
>>2806924
ALL BRUSHLESS TOOLS.

You gotta actually read every word.
Not everything in this world is brushless.
>>
>>2810438
Yes but they’re mostly a car parts company.

They make kitchen utensils and drill bits too but they’re not known for that
>>
>>2810109
> the past 80 years.
Well, Bosch is a lot older than that.
I see your point an understand it, but you could also make the opposite statement that you’d want your stuff come from a company that is known to produce EVERYTHING since ages, so that they can source everything in house and have experience in every issue that might come up. I don’t have much Bosch stuff, so I can’t judge if that works with them, but they’re definitely not some random ass name-only company that buys random shit and slaps their name on it or a Chinese shell that bought an old euro name and now uses it (I think parts of Philipp’s are now Chinese, as are Grundig and a bunch of appliances companies).
But which company even does only drills since years? Fein, maybe?
>>
This thread has been helpful. Got a question. Inherited 20 acres from my parents and though my father was usually meticulous, in his last few years things were in disarray. Starting to buy new tools. Projects I need to do asap:
Drill some small holes in concrete blocks in basement wall to mount indoor drier filter.
Drill several 1in. Wide holes to burn out tree stumps all over the property.
Drill a few holes in the frame of my truck.
Tap a few crossthreaded bolts in my truck.
Basic around the house bullshit in drywall and studs.
What drill/brand would yall recommend? I don't mind spending a premium on durability, longevity, and future proofing and want something I don't have to constantly warranty or replace.
>>
>>2801832
I have a ridgid impact. I take the lug nuts off with it once every 3 months. Works ok for my obviously very demanding use case. But no, seriously happy I didn't buy some super expensive shit instead. Others were 2-3x the price.

Ryobi generally does tend to be shit.

Milwaukee is good but not worth the price.

Dewalt feels like a Hyundai, but does the job.
>>
>>2801811
>>2813034
Also, can you really not get a different pokemon? I was poor and never got a gameboy, so I always took charmander, and consequently couldn't get past Brock's gym in the 20-30 minutes I had to play with friend's Gameboys.

>>2813022
Dewalt drills work fine. Again, they feel like a Hyundai, but with the reliability of Honda/Toyota. Milwaukee is great, but I only get it for cheaper tools like for putting screws in. Did a large deck with a battery-powered Milwaukee, was great.
>>
>>2813040
Any recommendations on specific drills from Dewalt or Milwaukee? Don't know what would be too powerful/not powerful enough.
>>
>>2813044
Hopefully someone else can help. Not home atm, so can't look & don't remember offhand. Also, I have never drilled concrete.
>>
>>2813034

Ryobi - marketed to office guys who make a lot of money . “I just want something that will work for like 2 years then I’ll just buy another system I don’t care”

Milwaukee - made for guys that make money off their tools, if you just hang a picture going m18 fuel and high output is a waste of thousands of dollars

Ridgid - marketed towards the poors

“If I’m going to buy a tool it’s going to be forever and I want it replaced if it ever breaks ever in my lifetime”

“I also don’t care about bleeding edge persona fe as long as it’s fine, I’ll buy a 2-3 generation old Milwaukee rebadged as a ridgid as long as I get a guarantee that you’ll fix it forever because I’m a broke cheap fuck”

“Also warranty my batteries and chargers too, I’m not about to drop $40 on a battery and not have it be the last battery I ever buy”
>>
>>2813094
1. The Ridgid I have is great.
2. At least stick to your containment board. Seriously, you haven't said a single intelligent thing in however long you have been here.
>>
>>2813101
I’m the only one on the board that owns snap-on tools sooo
>>
>>2813103
Bitch plz. We have Hellcat/Viper guy, GT4 guy, Blackwing guy, Gaycann guy, that cuck with a used Ferrari, etc.
>>
>>2813110
Who where
>>
>>2813117
>>>/o/, weren't you born there, in a geo-metro, to a tranny?
>>
>>2813119
I posted there like in 2004

How the fuck do you even know I posted there!?
>>
>>2813123
you were an embarrassment to the board since your conception
>>
>>2813103
I’m very tempted to buy some, just to shut you up.
But for me, it is wera. The superior premium tool brand.
>>
File: 20240509_114424.jpg (2.43 MB, 3225x2419)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
>>2813103
try again asshole
>>
>>2813140
> corded
Hahah, you can’t afford cordless li-ion battery packs, rockin’ em back in your g-wagon from the HD on the daily! Embarrassing!
What are you going to do when you have to die grind 100.001 feet from your house and you only have a 100.000 foot extension cord?
I need to do that 10 times a minute, I’ve never done it closer or farther. There’s no other situations. My workbench is sticky OSB and is only used to display my daily HD gets.
>>
How shit are chink knockoffs that can use genuine batteries? I have a few real batteries I got with a drill and impact and kinda want a ratchet and angle grinder but are genuine ones really worth 3 times the price as the chinkshit?
>>
>>2813201
It’s impossible to generalize.
They probably have some of the same suppliers, but it changes from year to year. They may even *be* a factory that turns out dewalt, just running at night and off-the-books.

An angle grinder as a battery-operated tool makes no sense unless you’re cutting catalytic converters with it. Even then, you’d use a sawzall instead for that.
>>
>>2801845
Nice untouched tools faggot. Not atypical for a namefag Ridgidcuck.
>>
This is probably as good of a place to ask as any-

I'm gonna do the deal where you buy DeWalt batteries and get to pick two free tools. I already have a drill, impact driver, oscillating tool, and recip saw, and also corded circular and table saws. I do a mix of automotive and general home repairs etc. I'm definitely gonna get an impact wrench as one of the tools but need to decide on the other, thinking angle grinder but I'm not 100% on that, might make sense to just get a corded one and pick something else - maybe the jigsaw since I don't have one (my old corded one broke) and it's one of the most expensive options if bought on its own?
>>
>>2813533
Well, most people that I know, and myself, almost always use hand tools and a breaker bar to loosen bolts, and I use a torque wrench to tighten them up properly, or a regular wrench.
If you’ve got a crazy long thread or something, or if you’re doing hundreds every day at a garage, then yeah… maybe an impact wrench.
A non-impact drill is something that makes a bit of sense as a cordless tool.
An angle grinder makes no sense as a cordless unless you’re cutting cats off cars, and then you’d use a sawzall.
>>
>>2813536
I used to be a full-time tech and there are certain things where an impact is really nice to have or even essential, like some things where you need the speed to spin a nut off of something that can itself spin - lugnuts while the car is jacked up, strut/shock top nuts, etc. It can also be a lot safer too (not gonna tip a car off the jackstands reefing on something with a breaker bar) and works in limited clearance areas where a breaker bar is a bitch.

I plan on doing a pretty extensive classic car restomod in the next few years and I also have a 4x4 truck that I offroad and might need trail repairs at some point so the impact is a really useful thing to have.
>>
>>2813536
lemme guess, you put in deck screws with a hand screwdriver too?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.