[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

*blocks your path*
>>
File: disgusted.jpg (43 KB, 800x450)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>2802492
Jap tools?
No, thanks. I'm sticking with Milwaukee.
>>
>>2802495
>No Jap tools, I prefer chinkshit
Retard
>>
>+BRAIN
>>
>>2802495
based retard
>>
>>2802492
Even I think this is low quality. Do those even come with a Lifetime Service Agreement*?
>>
>>2802492
It's a cool looking design I guess.
>14.4v/18v
Huh?
>>
>>2802597
Looks like they had 14.4V 4-cell lithium slide packs and 18V like 10 cell higher capacity packs. There’s a 3.0 14.4V, I’m curious if that’s 21700 cells because that’s a cool design.

Snap On does 14.4V lithium too on their compact tools, it’s sort of like an M12 design but thinner handle since there’s only 2 cells in the handle and 2 on the bottom vs a 5.0 M12 battery having 3 in the handle and 3 on the bottom.
>>
>>2802492
Oh thank god they’re making a ribbed version for my pleasure like everyone else. I love it when the veiny overmoulding rots and and smells like vomit, too. Their old dildo didn’t have veins.
>>
>>2802623
I like 'em slippery
>>
>>2802595
Every pic you post has a rigid in pristine condition even the hole saw has never been used. Youre a fucking weirdo
>>
>he fell for the battery meme

wew ishygddt
>>
>>2802626
>a rigid in pristine condition

He sucks but be accurate counselor.
>>
>>2802602
This gets me wondering if maybe Snap-On is using Panasonic guts in their tools, they've gotta be coming from somewhere and I haven't seen many other modern 14.4 systems.
>>
>>2802626
his tools are obviously used but well cared for, wiped down after being covered in drywall mud, something you fucking heathens can't fathom
the way you fuckers seem so averse to using a damp rag once in a while really makes me call into question not just your worksite cleanliness but your sense of hygiene as well
>>
>>2802492
I have an earlier impact from them that goes to 88 inch pounds. Not a lot, but it can be set to torque precisely so i can drive 1/2" long #8 self drilling modified truss screws into sheet metal and not strip anything out.

Only downside is it has the 12v Nmh batteries. And they're only 3 amp.
>>
>>2802664
It’s not the same battery design. The Panasonic 14.4V and 18V are both slide packs that can fit on the same tool. The Snap On 18V is a slide pack, the 14.4V Snappy is like a cross between a Ryobi pack and an M12 pack.

Somebody makes Snap On power tools because they’re not made in a Snap On factory next to the wrenches in Wisconsin, but I’ve never seen it suggested who is actually manufacturing them.

>>2802626
See >>2802630
>>
>>2802706
I get that, but it just means they're using a different plastic shell and layout, it could be the same components inside but just arranged differently. Somebody's gotta be making the 14.4 control and charging circuitry and so on, and Panasonic seems like a good candidate given that they already do it for their own line, and that they're a reputable first-world company of the sort that Snap-On would be likely to choose as a partner.
>>
>>2802710
the older 14.4/18v nicad was marked japan so panasonic would be a really high probability. it was top shelf stuff for the time. i bought a 14.4v 3/8 impact off the truck in 2007 when they first came out with the slide on battery and it was a gamechanger. there was nothing comparable at the time
>>
>>2802710
It must be somebody who builds the stuff for somebody else. Or at lest motors and parts from some of the usual suspects. Although they could have their own factory, I mean Blue Point isn’t rebranded Tekton, I believe Snap On owns the factory in Taiwan.

Best I could find with a couple minutes on google is picrel. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ingersoll Rand power tools come out of the same factory as Snappy, but that’s based on absolutely nothing except knowing 99% sure it’s not one of the usual mega corps like TTI, SB&D, and probably not the company that does Flex-Skil-Kobalt-Ego.
>>
>>2802492
It has no chin.
>>
>>2802710
> someone’s gotta be making it…
Kind of. There are hundreds of designs and variations on the control circuitry. If you take brushless motors, all this shit came from the RC/drone community and you can easily build your own ESC to control it. It’s by no means a secret or difficult, the RC guys have been doing this a lot longer than power tool manufacturers (albeit, in all cases, with the tool mfgs using absolutely minimum quality to get the job done/pass the warranty—“race to the bottom” is the only thing TTI added to this game).

The only reason power tools can’t handle multiple random voltages is because the component tolerances they use are so close to the limit of that particular design.

Normally you’d be able to handle a much wider pack voltage because the only thing you’re worried about is the speed of the motor and the heat, and both these things are sensed in an active feedback loop and it sends a multi-phase PWM signal into the motor. The motor winding insulation is rated to 300 V or so. Probably higher.
>>
>>2802875
Interesting. Is there a basic guide in how to set that combination up? Motor + controller + foot pedal, like for a small kid's car. So basically scaled-up RC.
>>
>>2802513
>>2802592
Better red then dead. Milwaukee get it done better
>>2802627
A passing fad to be assured
>>
>>2803727
> Milwaukee
It’s not the chinese’s fault all the american ceo’s send all the manufacturing to china and pocket the savings and destroying the economy.
Corporate america practically made china.
But, don’t get cucked and pay their ridiculous prices, but the exact same thing except the chinese brand. It’s the same parts, or maybe even better. In many cases, the exact same factories. They run them at night for a while and send the excess product out the back door.
In fact, the american sides of the business are so preoccupied and and obsessed with stealing as much money as they can from the company, they’re more likely to force the contracted factories into cutting corners.
Like those milwaulkee ratchets that broke on first use in the home-depot parking lot. Not even tested once.
Chinese people aren’t going to put up with that.
But america will. Milwaulkee Red means MAGA and about half the US population will give all their possessions and their lives for it. It also means china.
>>
>>2803376
Just wait. At the rate Tesla is falling (like their cars) you’ll be able to pick up a whole tesla for free if you can haul it away.
>>
>>2803736
Im calling BS. Id have to see proof the offbrands perform the same. Plus I already have the tools and batteries
>>
>>2803736
>Milwaulkee Red means MAGA and about half the US population will give all their possessions and their lives for it. It also means china.
this is so funny. As far as I see it, Milwaukee (the whole of TTI, really) has some good stuff, but it’s 90% China (the remaining 10% being German, since TTI was founded by a German and the still have some R&D in Germany).
But their marketing, holy shit. They’re really good at that. If you didn’t know better, you’d assume that they’re an American brand.
>>
>>2803867
>that they’re an American brand
It is an American brand
>>
>>2803867
My home depot just cleared out a huge area, and put up this black scaffolding with milwaulkee signage, and filled it with Milwaukee products. It’s huge. It’s like 4 times the size of a trade show stand. It’s like going into an amusement park ride., and has multiple isles inside the stand.
Totally empty, no people in it.
You know how the pop radio stations are playing country music songs over and over again in a futile attempt to make it popular again? Even beyonce and taylor swift couldn’t do it.
This seems like milwaulkee’s attempt to force feed us this red shit.
> milwaulkee quality
Milwaulkee is probably better than ridgid, and rigid is probably better than ryobi. That’s about all that can be said, really.
Some of the independent chinese and korean brands are incredible workhorses used in industry that literally makes everything.
>>
>>2803893
>You know how the pop radio stations are playing country music songs over and over again in a futile attempt to make it popular again?

he listens to pop radio. HA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA
>>
>>2803867
>muh germony
>>
>>2803924
>posts pictures of a company also called Milwaukee from 70 years ago that has nothing to do with the current day company called Milwaukee
As said, they’ve got a lot of good stuff but they are not an American company. Not at all.
>>
>>2803927
>Founded in USA
>Head Quarters in USA
>In 2022, Milwaukee Tool opened a 95,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in West Bend, Wisconsin
Its an American company with a foreign parent company. I bet with future china sanctions they'll make more products domestically or in mexico
>>
>>2803927
In all fairness, you can buy a Toyota with more US parts than a Chevy I bet. Parent companies don’t always mean everything at the end of the day. That being said, I wish Milwaukee was still family owned by a nice German-surname family from Oshkosh.

>>2803929
I think that factory was mostly for hand tools. They have cornered the market on power tools for sparkies and now mechanics, so they’re trying to eat up Klein’s sales and some of Snap On I’m sure, and the Klein buyers are really loyal to that American flag.
>>
File: chinese tools.jpg (74 KB, 600x372)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
I came here for an argument not abuse!
>>
>>2803929
I can tell you right now that the US side of Milwaukee is primarily a sales outlet.

> manufacturing facility
Mostly simple forged metal parts.
That’s what snap-on does in the US as well.

Neither of them make significant parts of power tools, although they could make, for example, the hammer and anvils in impact drivers and hammer drills.
>>
>>2803968
Not sayingmost of their tools are made in America but it is an American company
>>
>>2803895
> listens to pop radio
I’m not in control of the shop’s radio station most of the time unless I’m in there on the weekend
>>
>>2803968
Sales and a substantial engineering division. The manufacturing has mostly been offshored, but the research and development arm still scoops up dozens/hundreds of engineering grads from around the midwest every year.
>>
File: 20240525_105449.jpg (3.72 MB, 4656x2620)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
>>2802492
>>
>>2804213
> engineering in usa
That’s actually shocking that they allowed that to go on for so long.

I worked for a similar company, except what ended up happening is they did all the engineering everything for us (since a lot of it is process engineering and you have to be there in china) and then we eventually just became sales here in the us.
How did they end up doing all the engineering as well as the manufacturing? We’d propose something, they say “no, but we can do this instead” and sr. management OKed it.
A decade after that, they ended up buying the US operations side of the company since they were making things for many other companies and competitors, and ended up being bigger than we were, and had all the engineering and patents.
Then they said (to our US side) “jump” and we said “how high?” Or heads would roll.
We were kevin bacon, and they were the fraternity. We’d get whacked, and said “thank you sir, may I have another?”
We had no input to “our” products design or concept, if our buyers and customers complain about the quality, design, or slow (or no) parts/service it was our problem.
We had ridiculous quotas that would rise by 25% every year or be fired.
We had to meet minimum profits every year or be fired so we had to cut staff all the time.
We got handed utterly shit jobs that they didn’t want to do, like licensing, testing, US accounting, importation bullshit, and used us mainly for tariff avoidance as a “US company”
Now they got a bunch of retards sorking there that can put up with that shit. Almost none of the originals remain.

So, a complete roll reversal over 20 years.
They ended up, just recently, cutting it free for peanuts to private equity.
>>
>>2802492
WTF is that thing?
>>
File: 1371400196001.png (7 KB, 200x200)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>2804222
>2.5Ah
>>
>>2803968
The only company I know that actually does significant power tool manufacturing in the US is DeWalt, they actually wind motors, make gearboxes, etc. domestically but it's only for a few models, mostly drills, and really only done to comply with government contract sourcing requirements.
>>
>>2806706
It’s well-know those are show factories.
I’ve never seen any motor winding going on there.
If they are, they wind 1% of the motors.
Everything is shipped from china and they screw in the last screw on the clamshell and maybe put the sticker on.
>>
>>2805508
Bruh if they made a 1Ah id buy it. I aint building a fuckin deck everyday.
>>
File: IMG_1354.jpg (888 KB, 1284x1327)
888 KB
888 KB JPG
I’m a boomer with some money.
I appreciate the fine details of festool and I’ll pay a little bit more for the type of work I do.
I’ll use dewalt for grunt work.
>>
File: makita6952.png (187 KB, 680x506)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>2802492
*drills thru yr battery*
:^)
>>
>>2808190
I get why people buy Festool's track saws and bench tools and stuff but what the hell makes their impacts and cordless drills and stuff worth the huge premium?
>>
>>2808198
It's the color green, only the best tools have that
>>
>>2808190
Europoor here - why is there a bluetooth symbol on the tool?
>>
>>2809161
There’s some tools and batteries with tracking and specs and lockout mode. Bosch has little AirTag lookin things that pop in the handle of some of their tools.
>>
>>2802492
*joins my old car batteries at the bottom of the bay*
>>
>>2809161
We are preparing you for things like DRM to protect you from dangerous clone batteries, mainly…; 20-minute accurate tracking and proximity-of-phone restrictions in case tools are stolen, monitoring for misuse so criminals can’t return stolen tools they’ve abused, usage control (for companies) optional remote function activation; timed, predictive service indicators… “think of service engine soon” lights, links with proprietary apps that can access your contacts to help form local user communities… Anyway, that’s just a few of the ideas the marketing and sales departments here has come up with.
Remember when phones were just dumb phones? Even cell phones and well into SMS texting things were relatively dumb. Anyway, we are just following the same progression, so everything can be connected.
Does anyone else have any ideas we could implement? The main problem is we’re very limited on memory right now, we could do limited wifi instead of bluetooth but everyone already has a phone so we just piggyback. Firmware update is also a pain through bluetooth.
>>
>>2809336
Kek. The stuff they’re probably already putting inside name brand batteries but you can’t access it yourself unless you can read right off the chip. Youtubers already found out M18 batteries are counting charge cycles and I believe show some error codes.
>>
>>2809336
You should pair the batteries with a specific tool on first use, and those big tool assortments should be pre-paired because people are going to be gaming the system (like returning used batteries pretending like they were the ones in the kit) and driving prices up.

Also, the battery should be paired with the charger on first use so only that charger can use it. What if someone steals your batteries? They’d be unable to use them!
>>
>>2809408
>What if someone steals your batteries?
What if someone steals my charger?
I can't charge my paired batteries with a new charger.
>>
>>2809421
Sounds like you need to buy a whole new kit!

But don’t worry, Gen 5.2B is the new version, 7in-lbs moar toark and 3% lighter! You will wonder how anybody even pretended to screw two boards together before Gen 5.2B.
>>
>>2809432
>Sounds like you need to buy a whole new kit!

Thank you for pointing out how ridiculous this whole premise is: >>2809408
>>
>>2809435
If you bought Gen 5.2B when it was released like a good boy, and the Gen 5.2B charger got stolen, you could go back to your old Gen 5.1E set for a couple months until the 5.2C kit is released and then upgrade to that!
>>
>>2809440
You and
>>2809408
both sound like Apple fanbois paying for the company to fuck you in the ass
>>
>>2809442
Haven’t you watched the news? You’ve got guys leaving the store with two shopping carts of milwaulke and nobody lifts a finger to stop them. That’s why these things cost so much money.

The chargers and batteries should plug into USB-C and your home PC, and you register the serial number with your home depot account and a code on the receipt on a web site. Then, your PC can activate and pair and register them to you, and you alone. Also, you need the receipt code to show proof that you bought them.
>>
>>2803924
1918 cute
>>
File: AEG.jpg (887 KB, 1500x1004)
887 KB
887 KB JPG
>>2803867
they bought AEG handtools from Atlas copco.
probably the best corded drill ever made, electronic speed and torque controll, electronic clutch. Drilling pneumatic hammer drilling and hammering possible. and this in the 80s

but the SDS/Jacobs combination chuck is pretty bad and gets stuck all the time
>>
>>2809895
What’s that weird thing on the cord… are german plugs ends small enough to get through that or something?
>>
>>2803727
>Milwaukee get it done better
Somewhat agree
Although, I bought their 23ga M12 pin nailer from Homo Depot a month after they first released it, and I've been exchanging them every 1-2 months since then because they keep breaking due to my work load. I've probably swapped over 40 Milwaukee pin nailers at home depot since I bought the first one kek
>>
>>2809925
>chuck key holder
zoomers will never experience the angry hunt for a missing chuck key when trying to just drill a quick hole mid project

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.