[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: P_20240501_140953.jpg (2.76 MB, 4096x2304)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB JPG
Eternal Machinist Thread
Revival edition
>>
File: 20221102_132435.jpg (3.82 MB, 4032x3024)
3.82 MB
3.82 MB JPG
>>2806921
>>
any EMT anons know what happened to nickel steel?
I was looking up tank armor steel and stumbled across Krupp cemented steel, whose closest modern equivalent seems to be SAE 3340, and on an unrelated note found a post saying springfield 1903's had NS (nickel steel) stamped on them and were carburized 3310. I can't find that stuff for sale anywhere, wondering if it still has any applications or if everything under the sun is 4140 these days
>>
>>2806921
I can see drill bits and workpieces sag on my mini lathe when they're longer than a couple of inches, how the fuck could that setup possibly bore a concentric hole?
>>
File: olds.jpg (39 KB, 416x643)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
I bought a mini lathe.
>>
File: GO8QHgZX0AECbZi.jpg (17 KB, 414x439)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2807398
So I heard that with the factory tool post, I could only use up to 8mm shaft tools. But I measured the 4 tool post and there was about 16mm between the top and bottom, does that mean I can use these 12mm ones, or do you need that much room to shim? Is this tooling set the best deal I can find for the variatey?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394874371256
>>
>>2807364
The tail stock is canted down on those it’s a well known flaw

Some hardcore dudes redo the mounting setup and recut the way mounting surfaces and lap

But most often just opt to make a new one

Most people in the mini lathe groups buy them as platforms to majorly modify
>>
Machine bros, I have a male object with .9375”-24 threads and I want to mate it with a female object that is .900”-24. The male object is .0375” too large. Will these two objects screw together without intervention? Will the 75% standard thread clearance be sufficient to allow these to mate or do I need to run a .9375”-24 tap through the female object?
>>
>>2807558
Would appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to calculate this myself if possible.
>>
>>2807558
not a chance. standard thread clearance is less than .005"
>>
>>2807564
Thank you. What should I look up to understand why I was wrong in thinking this might work?
>>
>>2807364
your tailstock is higher than your spindle center if you're serious.
Post a picture of what's happening exactly, even a shitty MS paint drawing of it, with the effect exaggerated.
>>
>>2807579
Download a copy of Machinery's Handbook to learn threads and fits. It's the industry standard for longer than anyone currently living has drawn breath.

https://dl.icdst.org/pdfs/files4/80364b03673ba30eb5ccf1e27e119ffc.pdf
>>
>>2807579
theoreticalmachinist.com/Threads_UnifiedImperial.aspx
>>
>>2807301
If you're looking for high nickel content steel there are a few around.

Hastelloy
Inconel
Invar
Kovar
Monel
Waspaloy

There are some of the trade names I can think of.
>>
>>2807670
>>2807604
thanks
>>
>>2807841
>waspaloy
lol

thanks anon, not looking to source it at the moment though maybe for future use once I understand the applications. just trying to understand the historical shift away from nickel steels to chromoly.
Those brand names - are any 3340? or perhaps 4340? I know 4340 has some nickel but is also still a chromoly. Going to look into those.
>>
Who makes more, machinists or heavy equipment wagies?
>>
>>2807985
considering how much I make as a machinist, I assume everyone else makes more
>>
>>2808129
Manual or CNC?
>>
Okay, the tooling for my mini lathe showed up. I am going to start by working on scraps of HDPE since I get them from work out of the trash, what sort of speed and tools are preferable on plastics?
>>
>>2808282
Both
>>
Who makes the best quality taps and dies?
>>
>>2808451
>taps
osg are the sharpest. emuge are the toughest
>dies
anything but chinkshit. ace or greenfield are ok
>>
>>2808451
Seconding OSG Emuge
>>
>>2808436
How much do you make? I want to get into more serious mechanical work instead of plastics products and repair but I swear everything is shit these days.
>>
>>2808514
$28.50 like a chump
though I have decent benefits so it could be worse
>>
I know it's chink shit and carbide isn't as sharp as HSS, but is it literally supposed to be able to run your fingers on it like it's nothing? I swear it cut better broken than when it was whole.
>>
If I'm only removing less than 1 mm of material with a tap, can I use HSS to tap titanium? Same question, would it work on 17-4 stainless? I don't see the tap I need in carbide.
>>
>>2808558
bad carbide <<< bad hss
in my experience

bad carbide will chip and break (especially if rubbing) and form new, sharper cutting edges from the breakpoints that will cut better even if they don't have the large radius of the original carbide insert. cutting with too sharp a bit (i.e. from the broken edge) will often leave a better surface finish than rubbing with a large radius finishing carbide insert
>>
I machine in the south, I had a machinist from New York tell me that I shouldnt use carbide end mills on aluminum and I should use HSS instead. When I told my boss he said no one has used HSS end mills in 15 years and we should use carbide on everything. Who is more right?
>>
>>2809761
hss endmills are good on manual machines with backlash where you cant really climb mill. carbide is tool brittle and will chip easily when the table floats around
cnc is carbide 99.6% of the time because its so much more rigid and can be pushed harder
ny guy was probably ex union and never in a hurry to get anything done
>>
>>2809808
HSS cutters are sharper than standard steel-cutting carbides but they make aluminum specific carbide inserts now that have the sharpness and rake needed for alu and other soft metals. old head was probably thinking of the more standard, very rounded out cutting edges of a carbide insert meant for steel. against those, HSS is better
>>
>>2809863
wasn't referring to insert tooling. endmills are a different ballgame
>>
>>2809899
yeah the solid carbide endmills are sharp enough, guy was fucky if that was what was being discussed
Maybe he was thinking of insert holding endmills
>>
How would you go about mounting a Fleshlight to a 40 taper tool holder? Was thinking about welding a metal can to it then putting the Fleshlight in it but I was worried one wrong g code and I cookie cutter all the way through me. I could maybe turn a plastic can to have a stem on it but I'm not good at turning
>>
File: 1703884490532763.png (311 KB, 1022x591)
311 KB
311 KB PNG
>>2810013
each day we stray further from gods light
>>
>>2807985
I get recruiters calling me several times a day looking to hire me for $2 less than McDonald’s offers

Machining really is a I love to make things job

I posted this already, if you are already not independently wealthy or have other very large revenue streams coming in, do not get a job as a machinist.

Me personally, I lost money “working” as a machinist.

Buying the best tooling, buying snap-on tools Kennedy tool boxes mitutoyo everything

The best Allen keys I can buy, gold plated bondhus just all out nice everything with tool box widget setup

I spent more in tools that I earned in wages in the last shop I’ve been working at so for this shop it was about 3 years the other shops few year between that.

But I myself have multiple revenue streams. My own business and a wealthy family that gives me money to survive and buys my cars

I couldn’t afford the car I drive (modest Toyota Camry hybrid 2024) on a machinist salary
>>
>>2810016
Everyone says china sucks at manufacturing but it isn’t true, only people who don’t know manufacturing say that because they buy cheap Amazon shit.

China has access to like 9 axis VTLs and shit we can’t even dream of in America

America still runs on bridgeports and manual lanes and 3-axis haas machines

You might have a couple multi-millon dollar operations with like one or two 5-axis setups and 2-3 guys in the shop that can program it

China has room fills of 9 axis shit
>>
>>2810147
The company I work for has its parent company in china. We buy our tooling through them for maybe a 1/10th of the cost of tooling here, and the quality is just as good. The machines in china are also subsidized by the government so that's cheap as fuck too. There's just no competing. If you want to make it as a machinist going forward, go into the defense industry making things that can't be outsourced. Make guns because those don't have to compete with imports. Offer design services to customers
>>
i want to work in a machine shop. i taught myself to read old analog mics and calipers, read a tape to 64ths, and how to convert fractions to decimals (i'm retarded and never paid attention in school). what else should i learn before i apply so i can seem halfway competent in an interview?
>>
>>2810216
Basic g and m codes; g00 g01 g02 g03 g96 g97 g98 g99 m00 m01 m03 m04 m05 m30
Learn the difference between running the machine in rpm mode versus sfm mode. Learn the difference between running the machine in inches per minute versus inches per revolution
Be able to tell the difference between steel, aluminum, brass, and plastics just by looking at it, smelling it, and tasting it
Learning how to calculate SFM and chip loads would also be a benefit to get you through an aptitude test
It's also best to fail the drug test on the interview so you know if they're a cool employer before taking the job
>>
>>2810263
>Be able to tell the difference between steel, aluminum, brass, and plastics just by looking at it

are there people who apply to machining jobs who can't do this? i may be retarded, but ive been able to do this since i was a young teen.
>>
>>2810284
and thank you
>>
>>2808558
Depends on the grind. Carbide endmills for steels tend to have a slightly rounded edge to help prevent chipping. Ones for aluminum will fuck you up.
>>2809761
Your boss, using HSS on aluminum is retarded as fuck, you can run carbide literally 10 times faster.
>>2810130
You get paid shit because you're retarded as fuck. If you're making less than $25/h as an actual machinist these days, just kill yourself.
>>
>>2810263
All this, and maybe learning some mastercam basics, or learn how to write out simple facing and canned cycles by hand so that you can face, mill a simple profile, drill and tap some parts without having to leave the machine controls

Learn how to set work offsets without the use of a probe and learn tool setting without the ATS

And you SHOULD have enough to earn minimum wage at a machine shop with minimal fuckups. You’ll still be retarded because you can’t read pi-tape, don’t know the vernier scale, can’t grind simple HSS tools or run a Bridgeport without help

But after 2-5 years you might be able to get into the $18-22 range if you work your ass off, start scheduling, do some programming and setup for operators

You could possibly get $23 an hour if you get a degree, and kiss enough ass to become a “production lead” or a “floor lead” which. Basically means you’re a manager, but also setup program and fix machines for a team of machinists and operators usually no more than 20 guys under you
>>
>>2810531
CAM is easy, if you played like any video games the last 20 years on a pc you’ll learn cam in a day, same with gcode programming, read the chart on the machine follow instructions in manual slowly get comfortable learning movements then use those movements to create objects

Machining in general isn’t hard, use tools to cut something.

But there is over 200 years of cutters and the next new hot thing laser welding 3d metal sintering

9axis water jetting

9axis vertical lathes that have the ability to mill on a 5 axis head and bed with a bar puller

Then shit like old bridge mills that cut shit for ships

And there’s 90000 boomers will tell you the way you do things is wrong because it’s not the way they fo things

So that’s where the whole omg machining is so hard ermagod comes in, I got into the industry decades ago and I was like fuckkkk this shit is so simple it’s like written and made for ducking high school dropouts

I thought that shit was going to be as difficult as my engineering program i dropped out of and fuck no it was fucking monkey level shit

Shape this piece of steel into a knife to cut shit on that spiny machine

Hurr okay

Great, now don’t fuck any parts up

Okay I bring parts to the number on the picture

Okay if I do it the same everytime I don’t fuck ip

Like the biggest problem in finding good labor at a machine shop is literally finding a guy who shows up everyday he’s scheduled

Oh we aren’t running 5 cnc machine’s because two of the setup guys decided fuck it let’s go smoke meth today instead of working

Is like a normal fucking thing in this industry

Oh fuck the supervisor is in jail again, bench warrant for not paying child support

But he’s the only one in the company authorized to order metal. So I guess we’re digging through the scrap bin today to find parts we can rework into the R2 revisions? Until his court date
>>
>>2810545
I've been wanting to learn and I funded the Carvera AIR which is a small benchtop CNC from China, they've made one product before which was more advanced, expensive and had a tool changer and they've been selling it for the past few years.

Unsure if it will be a good purchase but since I live in a fucking apartment it's probably the best I will ever get until I move.
>>
Is Moly Dee really substantially better than Tap Magic?
>>
>>2810717
>tap magic
was the goat for nasty shit stainless and titanium until the faggot liberals made them take the 111 trichloroethane out of it. now theyre all sub par and i have to hoard my precious collection of methyl chloroform containing potions
>>
>>2810725
Looks like you can get TCE for $1 per ounce here.

https://prolinesolutionsstore.com/product/safety-kleen-safety-solvent-degreaser/
>>
>>2810425
I don't know where you live but I make $18 as a breakfast cook, I'm looking to work in a machine shop to get over $20+benefits, and incur less stress. I can't imagine there's many people working for less than $20/hr in my area.

Also, didn't you say you're a little rich boy who never could make any money, tripfaggot?
>>
File: 1706909571643024m.jpg (59 KB, 1024x655)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>2810800
>Contains an accepted replacement for 1,1,1- Trichloroethane
>accepted
>replacement
environmental lobbyists tongue my anus
>>
>>2810949
According to the MSDS it's Trichloroethylene 79-01-6 and CO2 in the can.
https://prolinesolutionsstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Safety-Kleen.pdf

I've never used it before but everyone says it works great. I always wonder how they figure out what to use.
>>
>>2810901
>Also, didn't you say you're a little rich boy who never could make any money, tripfaggot?
He makes half the going rate for someone with his >alleged
skill set, and likes to pretend that that's all you'll ever make in this field. Never trust anything Sieg says.
>>
>>2811084
trichloroethane C2HCl3 =/= 1,1,1- trichloroethylene CH3CCl3
you'd be a lousy meth cook
>>
>>2810901
The smart place to be a machinist is the Air Force. They have it exceedingly comfy. I was not one but interacted with their shop throughout my career. The point of work is benefits and a retirement package. Being a machinist is huge fun but fun doesn't pay much.
>>
File: 1440732119401.jpg (146 KB, 375x550)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>need some boring heads for parts at work
>choices are $150, bullshit, old school style ones that at best have .001" adjustments
>or $1500 minimum, .00005" micro adjust, super fine, modular, cartridge, blah blah boring systems
>nothing in between
Why. All I want is like .0005" dia adjustments and a smooth screw for like $300-400 a head. Same thing with a lot of workholding shit like half of Mitee-Bite's catalogue. I swear we'd make more money doing shit like that and charging half what everyone else does.
>>
>>2810901
I am in SoCal, machining isn’t less stress, one typo on surfcam or gcode = crash
>>
>>2811134
Comfiest job I ever saw was a third party contractor for government work.

Super super low tolerance work, huge huge huge part runs talking maybe 5000-60,000 parts

No rush. No deadlines

Third shift -sundown-sunup

Only other coworker would have been a front desk girl

Since only one in the shop dude said he’d call you a manager so your resume gets a boost

Dude said if you help him setup the robots you could just make sure the robots have metal and chill

Problem was it would have just been an operator position and they wanted several years of third shift commitment

If I was in my 20s I would have taken that shit to shut post all day and watch robots load vf2s And every single vf2 had a renishaw probe and ATS

You’re probably calling bullshit but nah, these were VF2SS machines, all loaded , side mounts and owner drove a highly modified gwagon place was owned by a rich dude

My current place we have one probe and everything else is setup via edge finder like in the Bridgeport days
>>
>>2811133
Trichloroethylene was also used in the now forbidden cutting fluids.

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum/general/2012773-what-is-the-best-tapping-fluid

lps-40120-tapmatic-plus-1-aerosol-fluid-cutting-16-oz.pdf
https://files.catbox.moe/orr3es.pdf
>>
>>2810163
man share some recommendations on stuff, we new hobbists need to save some money, and were i live second hand is absurdly overpriced
no random dude i am not gonna pay +80% of what a new mitutoyo cost for your old used shit
>>
What's the catch with polygon turning? It seems like everyone should be doing it
>>
>>2811714
Unless there's something I'm missing, your lathe needs both live tool capability, and a Y-axis, which aren't exactly cheap features. I imagine your controller needs to be pretty decent to keep up with what the RPM actually is on both to get a true shape as well.
>>
>>2810425

I have 5 years of experience and make 36 American dollars an hour programming and running 3 axis mills you dumb piece of shit. Maybe you fuckin suck at your job and aren't trusted to run high value parts.
>>
File: 20210802_094437.jpg (2.08 MB, 4032x1908)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
I've tried a few times to stay in my trade, gave it my best, I really like the work but it just pays dick. All the different engineering jobs I've had, never took home even $50k AUD in a year. When people say you can make bank as a machinist now I just don't believe them. CNC or manual it doesn't matter. I make 60% more than my highest machining job rate now doing B class electrical repairs on industrial appliances.

>pic related, a face grooving tool on the left I made to get a single job done after the tool supplier sent us the wrong handed tool on the right and we needed to ship the part in 2 days. all done on manual machines
>>
>>2811752
No one says you'll make "bank" being a machinist unless you get some crazy union job and do 80 hour weeks, we just laugh at Sieg because he thinks it's impossible to make more than $18/h when that's low for even a button pusher these days.
>>
>>2811726
>Unless there's something I'm missing
That's kinda what's got me hesitant to buy one. A machine I work with said he tried years ago with an insert mill and got bad results. He had a tool vendor tell him he needs an upgrade on his lathe to make it work. I've reached out to hardinge about it but no response. The hardinge manual makes it look like it's just a g51.2 code to synch the spindle with the live tool. But I just don't see anything else online about it. It also wont need a y axis
>>
I'm a genius why has no one thought of this before?
>>
Looking at the Nomad 3 to start my own business doing wood working. I have a few designs in mind and realistically I'd like to hold maybe a 0.01" tolerance. Anyone here have experience with this little hobby CNC?
>>
>>2811753
You can make more as a machinist and I probably do suck I’m not the worlds best machinist or even a half way decent one

Im just saying, if you NEED to support a family working, machining isn’t the job to do it.

You’d be better off working at McDonald’s getting $20 right off the bat, healthcare for your wife and kids day 1

Then work your way up to managing a restaurant in 2-3 years where the money is unless you get into serving which makes a ton of money with tips.

Machinist jobs are a fun job, they’re for people who have trust funds, for people who don’t need to work but don’t want to play Xbox all day

People that made a ton of money in finance, got tired of the office culture and wanted to learn something new and fun once they turned 30
>>
>>2811738
Probably I scrap a duck ton of parts.

I’ll have 5 parts to run and I’ll probably scrap one. No such thing as a setup part here, we sell every part cut.

They demand a 0% scrap rate and I’m definitely not there yet. Maybe one day I’ll be like my coworker who hasn’t scrapped a single part in years
>>
>>2812050
How long have you been on this board? You haven't learned how to back off yet? Haven't figured out any touch-off tricks to cut a thou when needed?
>>
Got a technical question for anyone who knows macros.
Probe is supposed to navigate around a part after getting X,Y, then Z origin, make contact on guage blocks stuffed into two centered pockets on the sides of the part, then clock the program to a measured angle using a G68.
I'm running this on our new HAAS vf2ss.
I've programed something simmilar to the start, but after the XY gets set the machine refuses to move to the z-height location unless I do it as a g0 rapid.
I know, very stupid... Even so I do it, and it gets to the part where it calls the g65 p9811 and says path obstructed.
Nothing is touching the probe, and it's path is not obstructed.
What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>2812143
You can’t really back off a thou when cutting a dove tail, can’t really touch off when a fixture design doesn’t work out the way you expected it to on a funk part.

Can’t really back off a thou when the machine drops your tool mid run because an chip got on the taper and it needed a regrind in 2005 that’s never happened

Can’t back off a thou when your vector drive fails during a g84 Cannes cycle and snaps a tap in the part

Most of my tolerances are under a thou anyways since everything I do is a mechanical part of water and oil right

To do that on an older machine I take multiple Lpasses on a sub routine and swipe the part until I get to tolerance
>>
>>2812164
Sounds like a brain deficiency. Sorry for you.
>>
how the fuck am I supposed to become a machinist if a course at college costs more than five grand.
nobody’s gonna hire me because I don’t know how to get into the trades program or have a drivers license.

why does society have to be so fucking gay
>>
>>2812332
Go into a machine shop sober and you’ll probably get a job

>>2812331
Thanks I’m low IQ but doing my best
>>
>>2812164
>You can’t really back off a thou when cutting a dove tail,
Yes you can, are you seriously that retarded?
>can’t really touch off when a fixture design doesn’t work out the way you expected it to on a funk part.
Literal skill issue.
>Can’t really back off a thou when the machine drops your tool mid run because an chip got on the taper and it needed a regrind in 2005 that’s never happened
Unless it's a huge fucking chip, that shouldn't cause it to drop the tool, the taper isn't what holds it.
>Can’t back off a thou when your vector drive fails during a g84 Cannes cycle and snaps a tap in the part
So tap it by hand if it's that common of an issue.
>>
File: 20240604_144120.jpg (355 KB, 1080x1542)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
>>2812461
ignore namefags. its not fair to pick on the class retard. don't lower yourself to that level.
>hand tap shit
responsible for orders upon orders of magnitude more broken taps than power tapping ever will be
t. power taps 0-80 in titanium in a clapped out bp
>>
>>2812461
You can back out a dove tail but up and down you fuck your finish if you don’t get it right on both sides first time , male and female

I agree fixturing is 100% on me but let’s be honest, they’re paying me $2 below McDonald’s teenagers to program and cut metal

They know I’m trash
>>
>>2812473
Are you using 5/8" tools to cut .630" dovetails or something? That's on you for retarded tooling selection.
>>
>>2812479
I’m a machinist not a purchaser , I’m not allowed to order too many tools I think I get a $300 yearly budget and a new dove tail cutter means no more other tools for the other guys

So i just use what I got
>>
>>2812483
>$300 yearly budget
>for cutting tools
>for multiple people
Jesus Christ, I've got single endmills that cost more than that, what kind of bullshit shop are they running?
>>
>>2812484
There’s only 3 people, 2 engineers/designers but we all machine.

They’re bother older than me , in their 60s and have been doing this for longer than I’ve been alive so I let them buy whatever.

So when it’s time to program a part on my end , I go through the cardboard box of loose tools and see if I have something that can rough, find something kinda nice enough to finish with and anything special

I’m in America, California specifically so… we don’t have high production volumes like 5-10 parts every few weeks maybe ?

I’m tied to the movie industry more specifically I cater specifically to Disney and Disney has been dialing it way way back
>>
>>2812499
And I’m aware the post and bellvue washers hold the tool holder in, but on umbrella style tool changers chips get up in the tool carousel and they prevent the spindle from getting a full seat on the tool

> but aren’t you standing there watching the machine

Not in this shop, there’s only 3 dudes we’re not allowed to just sit there and stand staring at the machine, we’re usually programming the next job, or setting up or repairing another machine
>>
>>2812499
>I go through the cardboard box of loose tools and see if I have something
Abject misery, my deepest condolences.
>>
>>2812332
how the fuck did you think you were going to navigate modern American life without self-transportation?
get an e-bike or something, if you're too poor to buy a car.
And 5000$ just isn't a lot of money for college, 4 year degrees frequently cost 4x that much.
>>
what's a good site to try and sell a machine that doesn't attract the usual retards ala fbm or craigslist?
>>
>>2812551
Not really misery, I feel that if you work at a place like titans of CNC and have every tool available to you on earth, every machine available on earth, and fancy probes you can’t really function in the real world without massive budgets

I feel that I got reality good at improvising, I’m probably better at looking at a piece of junk and seeing how to band saw it down to something I can square up to program a part with the “wrong” tools to get the part than the average production machinist

I have made production parts from old lamps before
>>
>>2812616
i sell lots of machinery and heavy equipment and use cl mostly. i just type out my phone number, say calls only, and then don't respond to texts. weeds out 95% of the bullshit and flakes because apparently their allergic to talking on the phone
>>
>>2811752
why didn't you just turn the opposite side one upsidedown, mill off whatever the distance was from centerline, then shim the bottom side so it's on center...? (assuming you can't just adjust the toolheight on the toolpost like a track mill) pretty pointless to copy, then mirror the whole toolholder like that, no?
>>
Fellas, what are your thoughts on using windex as a tapping / drilling coolant?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6QCrV4ZOiU
>>
File: kneel.gif (1.51 MB, 335x974)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB GIF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHEMfc3EQ9E
The power of German autism..
Imaging if his grandfather was put in charge of He 162 development.
>>
>>2812970
i used it a couple times on jobs for a retard scientist that was adamant that running coolant would somehow chemically alter the material properties and make the part self destruct. hed sniff the parts when he picked them up to check and never caught the windex smell
>>
>>2813142
I know ammonia is used as a refrigerant so it makes sense. I have read stories about old timers pouring concentrated ammonia for cleaning onto steel when drilling and I've seen lots of guys saying they have used Windex.

Does it work any better than a general purpose cutting fluid?
>>
>>2813563
>Does it work any better than a general purpose cutting fluid?
no. lard oil is still the best general purpose cutting oil for almost everything and smells pleasant too
>>
I'm trying to come up with an incentive program that will encourage machinists to shit at home rather than on the clock, any suggestions?
>>
>>2813821
What if they have IBS and shit at home AND on the clock, what then?
>>
>>2810425
Christ. We hire machinists on at $26 as a you've never touched a tool an can barely speak english. Anyone with any experience is $30+ and the guys who know their shit are mid 40's and up. We're just an aerospace company in the middle of what used to be a tiny farm town.
>>
>>2814097
In the south I got a machining diploma and a few years experience. $24/hr
>>
>>2814097
Well those Mexicans can probably machine better than I can I scrap a fucj ton of parts

Almost need 1 setup part per job.

You guys hit tolerances bang on every time at $26 an hour and think scrap is what the homeless dudes are digging for in dumpsters

But you you need a machinist to program, setup and machine you a whole fucktlm of trash

I’m your guy, $350 piece of aluminum to $0 faster than inrapid into the block at 100%!
>>
>>2810425
I cut large pieces of wood with hand power tools at 1/32" / 0.2° precision for $30/hr
I achieve this level of precision by being methodical and squinting really hard
maybe you're just a jew, or have been working for jews
>>
>>2814097
They don't even pay that in Metro cities.. even with good English and 20 years of experience, stop spreading misinformation.
>>
>>2814097
i was making 27 something a hour as a level 5 out of 6 levels machinist at my last job each level was based on some sort of skillset or different machine you learned
>>
File: 71670in_5B363220CC4F3.jpg (170 KB, 500x375)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/71670-large-tap-socket-set-5-pc

Any chance any of you folks have any of these? I 3D printed a little holder for the smaller set and wanted to make a matching one for the larger pieces before I upload it, but I don't have the #9 through #13, was hoping someone could get me the OD.
>>
>>2814568
i have the 3 piece large add on set, so i could give you those diameters, but not the biggest 2
>>
>>2814571
Yeah, if you wouldn't mind that would be great, gets me halfway there. What drive size are they?
>>
Fellas is it gay to stick your mitsu SCU20M16S280L in your ass and crawl on all fours shaking your ass so you look like a dog wagging it's tail for the bossman
>>
>>2814568
You can measure it from the photos.
>>
>>2814576
the 3 i have are all .997". theyre just made from nominal barstock. the smaller sizers are all nominal fractional diameters as well. so id ass-u-me the biggest two follow the same pattern, so theyd be 1.250 or 1.188. you should be able to check them against the 1" diameter sockets in the picture for proportional reference
>>
>>2806921
That boring bar weighs more than my lathe. And probably cost more as well.
>>
>>2814568
I use those. They're awesome.
>>
>3d print a hollow model of an engine
>fill it with sand
>spray paint it silver
If I put this on display in my shop do you think people will be able to notice it wasn't machined?
>>
>>2814689
>>2814827
Thanks! I hadn't thought of measuring from the picture. If I'm doing it well enough, I'm getting 1 1/8". Either way, looks like staggering them won't be enough to squeeze #9-#13 onto one little 2x1 Gridfinity like I was hoping, so it's gonna end up being 2 generously spaced holders.
>>
>>2814307
Depending on your local area that may be decent or mediocre.

>>2814548
We've got more asians than mexicans when it comes to the machinists, but the machinists aren't doing much manual work, we have programming for that, they're just required to setup/check/adjust as needed, though first parts get treated differently. We run 1.5% or less scrap as a company, that's from raw to arrived to customer in good condition.

>>2814562
Hardly misinformation. Just the guys doing chips/coolant make $20+. I'm not even a machinist and I was hired on at $26.

>>2814566
Our machinists have levels as well, and a program where you can learn extra skillsets on the side to get small raises. Weird concept, the company wants to invest in good employees.
>>
>>2814568
Are these tap sockets worth it? I saw them on the snap-on truck and they told me it’s more for thread chasing mechanics

I currently use those t handle ones that come with the guide that you Chuck up in your mill or drill press
>>
>>2814902
Unless you're after something really exotic, can probably buy a used engine and clean it up for less than 3D printing it would cost.
>>
>>2814954
I'm just a DIYer who spends too much on tools. They seem well made, and they're great when you can't get a T-handle in, but it's easy to go in crooked when you're using a ratchet. They were super handy with this when my computer case didn't have any holes tapped and all the fasteners were cheese grade.
>>
>>2814562
I've got 3 literal button pushers running one machine with 2 hour cycle times at $25/h in Chicago. I went from $15 to $32, right out of schooling in less than 5 years at one shop and that dude was a stingy fucking jew.
>>
>>2812970
How about using diesel fuel as cutting fluid in a bandsaw? Getting tired of the water soluable oils...
>>
>>2814902
Go on YouTube and search Jesse James motorcycle engine mount no machine work look machined

He teaches you how to use everyday objects like a transfer punch, die grinder and a band saw to make finished products look as if they appear machined

He said that’s how he started west coast choppers in his video
>>
Guys, i am starting and got an old press drill that i just need to change the bearings, i would like to put better bearings, is there any place / way i can check which bearings would fit in there?
originally it had the cheapest ball bearings you could buy, i want to put tap bearings, that i know the high end models had
Like i need a 6201, but i want to use a tapered one instead? Is a radial bearing, doesnt make sense in this application
>>
>>2815026
Button pushers make the company money. Shitty machinists lose the company money.

Trust me dude if I was worth the money I wouldn’t be making less than a literal fucking child working at McDonald’s for his first job ever…

I’m lucky to have a job period

I work mostly on my own stuff on the clock because we’re so slow

I’m setting up a job on a machine right now that we don’t have the material for and won’t have the material for…in the foreseeable future

We got about 8 machines and 3 employees here and all of them are idle right now

I’ve actually been gluing a snap-on logo to a backer plate for my tool box at home that I’m restoring an old KRA series classic snap-on box

I only like to run clapped out machines

And I get nervous I’ll fuck something up on a haas next gen VF with a 50 taper
>>
>>2815132
fuck i am retarded, even if i can buy there i can just use mcmasterr as a crossreference looking for the sizes
>>
>>2815126
5 gallon bucket of ATF with a magnet in the bottom, pump the fluid from the middle of the bucket, put some metal scrubby pads at the intake to filter large chips
>>
>>2806921
I asked to be moved from the weld shop to one of the manual lathes. Machinists get all the hours they want, and some they don't, and I need moneys.
>>
How do you start an independent small scale manufacturing operation? How do you find out what products are in demand and how do you market your services? Do you just bill your self as a custom shop and hope the customers flock in with orders for custom parts?
>>
>>2816545
>lagun
do mutts use basque machine tools? nice
>>
>>2816545
pick a different business choice. small job shop sucks ass and has become a race to the bottom by every retard with a haas mini mill in their garage. customers always want shit yesterday for less than the material costs you and cover parts with ridiculous unnecessary features and silly tolerances that they cant even verify themselves. trying to do work off xometry is even worse.
repair work is just as gay. everything is super rush, but needs to be cheap. they want you to work all night for $30/hr shop rate and theyll still bitch about the price or even say you did too good of a job on it. fucked if you do. fucked if you dont sort of shit
machine shop in general has become shit. it requires the biggest capital outlay of any trade business for the lowest shop rate. what other trade take several million dollars in infrastructure, but only can demand a $75/hr rate? plumbers drive around in a van with a pair of channelocks at $165 and double that on nights and weekends to plunge turds
t. thought machine shop self employment was a good idea
>>
>making $25/hr in the south
Where do I move up in this industry? Is becoming a programmer the only way to make more money or would becoming a tool or mold machinist viable routes
>>
>>2815134
If you're slow as a machine shop right now, you're at a terrible machine shop. Even the 2 shitholes down the road from my company are busy as could be with work load.
>>
>>2816705
We don’t do outside work , when movies do bad we do bad.

I’ve just been organizing my tool box

Nothing to cut. Nothing upcoming

I actually made some plans to weld up a little magnetic t handle storage rack that I can magnet to my tool box t handle drawer the. Stick on the side of the machine.

Fire up that tig welder we haven’t used in years about to weld up some steel with some 15 year old red stripe and some mystery filler lol
>>
>>2816733
I mean why not?
There is no sense in being only a prop shop if you have spare time to do some extra jobs
>>
>>2816565
It's crushing my soul working next to a fat retard that somehow became a CNC shop supervisor despite not ever learning how to run a machine. I think I'll buy a haas and sell garbage I design on etsy
>>
File: 20240416_204315.jpg (3.09 MB, 4000x3000)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
DIY:er here. What's a good coating to use for finishing off aluminum parts? I don't wanna do anodizing since it's a hassle, I'd like something I can just spray on and have it be decently wear resistant with a matte black finish.

I was thinking about something like car underbody spray etc. since those have to be fairly tough and they're just spray on. I've considered bed liner for when I don't care about dimensions and coating thickness.
>>
>>2816565
i think the only reasonable excuse is the one i use personally
cheap, old, possibly manual machines gotten for bottom dollar that you just think are neat
making your own stuff for yourself most of the time
and occasionally making stuff for other people that you charge (but take your time and do a 100% job, let them know this isn't a $750 mil factory with 120-axis time machines)
>>
>>2816800
Not my shop so idk

I don’t talk to anyone if I don’t need to and telling my boss how to make more money isn’t really in my job description
>>
>>2816866
Never used it myself, but there's cold bluing chemicals meant for aluminum. I think it's called alu-black or similar.
>>
>>2817131
Oh yeah that's true, I guess I ought to give them a go. Cold bluing or oil bluing or whatever seems to be a great low effort finish for steel.
>>
File: ClipboardImage.png (117 KB, 952x512)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
Are there any standard widths and depths for this kind of flat keyway and key with the rounded ends? I want to be able to buy stock keys for the parts I design without having to trim them down and do bullshit like that. I'm working in metric.
>>
>>2817222
Go to a webstore selling keys and have a look. (hint: yes there is)
>>
>>2817229
i already tried that and all i could find was bullshit garbage ads and SEO optimized trash listing all sorts of shit ranging from hex keys, to padlocks with keys, key cutting services, door locks with keys, etc.
google is fucking useless and other engines like yandex only give me russian and american shops that don't ship to me
>>
>>2817231
Well yeah basically that's how it works.
The best way to find the tens of stores that do actually exist and sell normal industrial products in your non-america country for normal prices is to work in the industry and see where they buy their stuff from.
Other than that all you can do is scroll the image search and try to think of better keywords for your search.
>>
>>2817222
honestly if you want to do this get an old copy of the machinist handbook, but if not at least donwload a copy of it, they are easy to find via torrent
>>
>>2817222
There are standard widths and depths as per the book yes but every key and keyway I've ever had to deal with needed hand fitting be it filing or grinding or even machining to get the right fit. Not too loose, not too tight, just right.
>>
>>2817238
>>2817237
>>2817235
>>2817229
yeah its starting to look like it's a lot easier and faster to just buy some thin bar stock and cut/radius my own keys instead of trying to deal with boomer companies who need a business account or ordering random shit from china that was stamped out of sheet metal and won't fit without modification.
this is /diy/ after all lol
>>
>>2817131
They sell this at hobby stores like hobby lobby, michaels and hobby town usa
>>
>haas mill could potentially fit in my workshop room of my apartment
>it can't fit through the door
I hate being an apartment dweller
>>
>>2817725
have you checkd how big is it dismounted?
the individual parts are usually not that big
>>
>>2817725
Land lord comes in, lawn chair, hearing pro, a ps5 on the floor

A bunch of blankets on this big ass thing in the middle of the apartment,

Dinner table is just a couple barrels of blaser with a hunk of MDF on it
>>
I'm buying a tormach pcnc (desktop mill) and I'm going to only make enough money selling parts to barely live off of but I'll finally be self employed. Plus I can steal tools and make my own programs when I have downtime at work to get me started
>>
Is putting "excellent communication skills" on the job requirements going to filter out the autists from applying?
>>
>>2818395
You want machinists that aren't autists?
>>
>>2818395
Who and how do you even communicate in a machine shop?

You can’t hear anyone and nobody is around to chit chat
>>
>>2816866
>>2817131
brownells makes the best cold blueing, it's a gel
>>
>>2807985
Machinist in ca $35hr 50-60hr weeks OT pays 1.5x
>>
>>2816866
It's a little more effort, but powder coating is fairly easy to do on a small scale, it leaves a very tough durable coating, (much better than any non-carcinogenic paint), and it doesn't have the chemical baths associated with anodizing or plating. You can also do it indoors in tight quarters since the spray just wipes off of other things if not baked.

I just use a crappy wall oven from craigslist, if something fits in the oven it's completely replaced painting for me.
>>
>>2818778
Can I use my kitchen oven for it? does it stink?
Do I need to buy an application device or whatever it's called?
>>
>>2818839
You do need the gun, it creates a static charge that gets the powder to temporarily stick to the part. I use one of the harbor freight ones, I've done some modifications to it to get it to flow more smoothly but it's pretty serviceable, if I was going to do it again I would get the eastwood gun or try to find a used professional one secondhand.

I would be a little leery of using the kitchen oven if you have a wife or girlfriend, I have a seperate one I use in the garage, it does have a bit of an odor while you're baking the coating that can linger for a few hours, but I have not noticed a smell that sticks around long term. Depending on the size of your part you might also consider a toaster oven which can be had pretty cheaply used.
>>
>>2818935
I mix the powder with solvent then spray from a regular paint gun. Can bake metal parts or just leave as is if covering plastic to get a perfect colour match.
>>
>>2818986
Interesting. Which solvent do you use? Acetone?
>>
>>2818986
>>2818935
Can I just put a wire or something on my part and then dip it in the powder?
Or dissolve with a solvent and apply with paint brush?
>>
File: image.jpg (1.07 MB, 3024x3024)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
What's something cool you can make with a manual mill and lathe at your disposal? I might get done early with all my assigned projects in machine shop class and have some free shop time to fuck around. Just wondering what I should try to make.
>>
>>2820063
You could make some CNC blanks for me. Don't got a lathe but I've got a "mill".
>>
>>2820063
You should redo those parts, and do them properly this time.
>those finishes
>that knurling
>zero deburring
>square thread faces
Are you using HSS blanks they made you grind yourself, or are you using carbide insert tooling?
>>
>>2820099
>Are you using HSS blanks they made you grind yourself, or are you using carbide insert tooling?
I genuinely have no idea. They just handed me a couple bars of metal and a drawing on a piece of paper and told me "make them parts"
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (180 KB, 1280x720)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>2820102
I refuse to believe this, and if that's actually the case, you need to get your money back because they're not teaching you shit. Do they look like the tool on the left, or are they a shank with a tip that looks something like what's on the right? Color may be different.
>>
>>2820106
If he’s in school he’s using either brazed carbide or preform d HSS
>>
>>2820116
We had to grind our own tools from blanks for the first few courses on lathe, and then we were allowed to switch to insert tooling at my school.
>>
Company decided to go “designed in America, made in China”

For as much of our product line as possible, I’m the only non-engineer tasked with transferring programs, long term storage of fixtures and inventorying what materials we still have left and what unused tooling can be sold

Said china can manufacture 2x the amount of product than what it costs just for the raw materials in America
>>
>>2821095
It's really incredible how competitive China is for manufacturing of basic industrial products.
>>
>>2821095
>>2821266
i mean sure china has dirt tier wages but isn't it also because almost all the volume of steel in the world, of all grades, is from chinese foundries? like wouldn't your company find it cheaper (apart from wages) if there were a giant steel mill in the same town or state? as much as we need manufacturing back in the us to defeat the neoliberal meme, we need foundries and steel mills moreso
>>
>>2821270
There's still plenty of foundries in the US, the issue cost wise is more that
1. US wages
2. Most of them are union, so union US wages on top, and
3. What they call 1045 has to actually be 1045, unlike china that will do an 800 ton run of pig iron and call it everything from 1018 to A2.
>>
>>2821293
>3. What they call 1045 has to actually be 1045, unlike china that will do an 800 ton run of pig iron and call it everything from 1018 to A2.
thank god this is not true anymore unless you contact random changs
>>
>>2821095
cope and seethe
>>
>>2821270
I don’t know but I do know that their quality is on point. Despite the meme

If we give them a print, I’m the one QCing the Chinese parts usually the Swiss stuff we put source

I might find a bad one or two per run and the occasional bad batch

But at the prices they’re paying for custom parts … put it this way, for the price of one bushing off mcmastercarr…. You can get 10 from china to your specifications

My boss used to buy bushings from McMaster, then have an entry level operator turn the bushing to our application. Might scrap one or two setup pieces

They put sourced to china that’s just a job that doesn’t exist now

—-

Plenty of 6061 aluminum parts that are like holders and cases and like housings china man , they can do 9 axis shit cheaper than an American can mop floors for

I think this being autistic about how things are made shit backfired , I should have been an office bitch
>>
>>2821382
i am an office monkey with a garage turned manual machine shop and hoping to tool up into a semi-automated forge too but it's slow one night/weekend at a time. i want to get into closed die forging just to see how big a piece of work i can do with nonsense i weld and machine in the garage
i too am too autistic for anything else; i spent my youth 3d modeling guns, tanks, artillery, and battleships
>>
>>2821095
My company did something similar for a product I designed, the pen vise I posted a while ago. I got all the way to the point of having a sample made when they told me it's gonna be 3x cheaper to do in china and they don't wanna show the customer what I made since it won't be what they'll get. That was months ago and China can't seem to get production of my design right and the customer still hasn't gotten a single part. I'm trying hard not to give my boss shit for this retarded decision but I felt really fucked over for it
>>
I'm an industrial engineer and I like cnc shit. I have two prusas but eventually want to have a little garage setup to make some of my own stuff, whether it be for my car, bike, skateboard, pc, or some side hustle things for my friends/family/customers. Is it worth investing in some gear for a garage workshop? Maybe even some QC/inspection gear as well since that's a big part of my profession?
>>
>boss sends me to a training class for $2k
>makes me sign a contract saying I have to stay on for a year after completing the class
>also have to give a 30 notice of resignation
>the contract is full of spelling and grammatical errors
Would I get into any legal trouble for just walking out? It doesn't seem legit at all lol
>>
>>2822597
Initial N O
Sloppily
>>
>>2822586
No the pad your foundation on is too thin for a mill, and I doubt you’re allowed to have coolant in your zone

Additionally i wouldn’t want coolant near my wife and kids if I were you
>>
>>2822586
A small manual mill and manual lathe should be your first machines but small CNC's are also feasible if difficult to find an actually functional/useful one at any decent price.
>>2822600
Retard, full on retard.
Do you really think that he's considering doing full rate production in his garage so he needs industrial level MMR's and tool life's, you really are stupid.
You can cut steel with a 100kg machine with no coolant and you can make aluminum fly with the same machine.
>>
>>2822609
MRR*
>>
>machining for a few years
>it's just not for me
Do any of these skills transfer? I feel like I could do good in sales for a machine shop
>>
>>2822609
There is nothing in the HOA bylaws that says k can’t run a haas in my garage Karen
>>
>when the manufacturer speeds and feeds, etc actually work fine the first time and you don't snap a $300+tip spade drill 8 inches into a block of metal 3 parts into the run
>>
>>2823075
Nah fuck that senpai, watch this I saw titan do this shit

T1 m06
S10000 m03
G43 t1
G52 x0 y0 z0
G54 G90 g00 x0. Y0. Z0.1
G01 z-0.999 f100.
X-50. Y-50.

Don’t be a bitch
>>
File: 1484384360456.jpg (42 KB, 686x1024)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>2823096
Holy fuck, no wonder you make $15/h as a programmer, that code is disgusting.

T1 M06
G00 G90 G54 X0. Y0. S10000 M03
G43 H1 Z0.1
G01 Z-0.999 F100.
X-50. Y-50.
>>
>>2823098
$18/hr

I program like this day job

T1 m06 (Change Tool 1 - 0.5” EndMill 2Flute, 1.1” out of holder in SideLoad 40 taper)

S10000 M03 (10000 rpm change this if needed)

G43 H1 D1 (Length Offset Height and Diameter Tool1)

X-50. Y-50. (Mill king a slot starting at 0.0 and ending at -50 and -50. )

So that operators in the future can sit down and edit all my gcode without a single day of training

Then I have all the fixtures engraved, and I have plastic bins for all the fixtures and all the hardware welded so that anyone can make the parts I programmed
>>
>>2823100
And all the setup sheets I made are laminated in check list form with photos

I made it so you can use a dry erase and check off all the steps

I have written directs and pictures in binders at every machine showing you which control does what including fork lift

My job is basically to make it so that if you hire a high school kid, he should be able to run that machine shop from material ordering, to machine setup, to first article inspection, fork lifting material off the truck and anodizing the parts with zero training just instructions I left
>>
File: 1670551383312818.gif (2.24 MB, 1074x916)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB GIF
>>2823100
>>2823102
>complacent with not getting paid shit
>actively makes himself easier to replace, while simultaneously doing shittier work

lel
You'll never amount to anything.
>>
>>2823108
Probably it’s a dying trade just do what I’m paid to
>>
>>2823113
There is a large demand for domestic manufacturing.
Medical, aero/space, defense, government, heavy equipment etc etc.
The only part of the trade thats dying are low hanging fruit shops.

You could be making double your salary, with job security, working on much more interesting stuff.
Instead you are making laminated SOPs so that temp workers who dont speak englsih can replace you.
Many such cases.
SAD!
>>
Just ordered two custom turned 100mm L 40mm D aluminum parts with drilling and threading for $100 total shipped from PCBway.

Could your machine shop achieve that?
>>
>>2823122
Yeah I made one yesterday
>>
>>2823116
Can you imagine my dumbass working in aerospace?

I’d be doing everyone a favor just writing these minimum wage programs with comments every line for the Mexicans that will cross the border in the future
>>
>>2823122
Yeah dude I make minimum wage I could knock that out on my own lathe in the garage
>>
>>2823179
you are the weirdest troll ever
>>
>>2811864
Thought of what... wtf is this??
>>
>>2823400
A really fucking dumb idea that wouldn't work.
>>
>>2823239
How am I trolling? My skill set isn’t that unique or good

I worked in aerospace briefly it wasn’t for me
>>
>>2823491
>>2823179
Remember everyone, this is who you are competing against in the shop.
You have to put in average, not bare minimum effort and you can climb the ranks over idiots like this.
>>
>>2823491
>My skill set isn’t that unique or good
And yet you constantly opine on shit you know nothing about, like you're an expert.
>>
>>2811586
>why

Because they don't need software updates and they don't wear out. The heads we use are 7 grand a pop a d were bought over a decade ago. The price of groceries has probably tripled since we bought them. You gotta set yourself up for the future.
>>
File: 1718209766148007.png (56 KB, 650x462)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>2823400
Vernier. The dial is a 10-point star with the red point pointing to what thou it's within. So if the red point was between .066 and .067, and the 5th point lined up with another line while the rest were a little off, it would read .0665".

I have also designed a fractional caliper that's more intuitive for people who don't use decimal inches. This example would read 3-213/256 inches. I prefer just using thou, but it seems like more people prefer fractions so I expect it to be more popular since it's closer to the ruler people grew up using.
>>
>>2823491
why dont you actually try to get better at something?
seriously the world is full of mediocre people, it is not difficult to surpars the mean joe.
you live in a expensive country and you make less than our people make due the metalworks collective agreements
>>
>>2823681
Like what?

My welds are alright, my programming is good enough to keep a job, takes me about 10 mins to setup a 3axis job now but I’ll post on 4chan, eat some food and chill between setups
>>
>>2824490
>I’ll post on 4chan, eat some food and chill between setups
maybe stop shitpost and being obvoiously lazy until you get a better wage job security
note that i didnt say to work more, that would probably work better, but just stop being obvious about your lazyness
>>
>>2823491
>I worked in aerospace briefly it wasn’t for me
lol, lmao even
>>
>>2823681
>seriously the world is full of mediocre people
You are talking to a mediocre person. Just sit back and reap the rewards of idiots like him existing in droves.
>>
This might not be the best place to ask but : how long does it take to heat up iron enough to make in easily malleable?

Context : I have a plumber's torch (small benzomatic propane tank). I have 1/4" iron rod from the big box. I want some sharp bends and some flared points to make curtain hooks. I tried heating the tip of the rod for 2 minutes in the flame and while it was softer, it didn't come close to red or even straw colour. IR thermo read roughly 250 C (482 F) and while it was softer, banging on it didn't move much.

Am I just doing it wrong? Am I underestimating the energy needed to heat metal? Do I need to make a simple forge oven with heat bricks? I could go with charcoal and a blower but that seems wasteful for the little work I'm doing.
>>
>>2811864
>I'm a genius why has no one thought of this before?

Because calipers get you to the closest thousandth or two or so if you measure real carefully and with repeatablility. Sometimes you can eyeball a half a thousandth. Anything more precise than that requires a micrometer.
>>
>>2824532
have you tried just to make some sort of oven enclosure from your torch?
if you are doing in the open you are wasting tons of heat
>>
>>2824540
>have you tried just to make some sort of oven enclosure from your torch?
That's what I mean by "oven with heat bricks"
>>
>>2824543
after that you start talking about charcoal, so it was not clear if you were trying to jump directly to a charcoal oven
>>
File: propage forge.jpg (1.63 MB, 2592x1456)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
>>2824545
Fair enough. I meant an open charcoal fire in a metal container with a conduit and a hair dryer for forced air.

And by "oven with heat bricks" I meant something like picrel.
>>
File: fine-adjust.jpg (969 KB, 2560x2048)
969 KB
969 KB JPG
>>2824536
There's these calipers I have with this thing I don't know how to use (I think it's called a fine adjust). Couldn't using that be more accurate?
>>
>>2824728
No. The marking on the gauge and physical limitations of how calipers work compared to micrometers make this impossible
>>
I've got an aluminum outer thread steel inner thread joint that I want to put together and open maybe once a year. I would like to put some paste or something on the thread so the steel doesn't rust etc. because this will be outdoors. However if I just put some normal anti-seize I'm worried it will significantly lower the friction of the joint and make it come loose by itself, what do?

I want a rust inhibitor that does not reduce the friction coefficient.
>>
>>2824904
low strength loctite. it will seal the joint to prevent corrosion
>>
>>2824914
Good idea thanks. Do you know if Loctite also has any rust inhibiting qualities?
>>
>>2824503
So work harder for what? I’m capped out at my current place
>>
>>2825015
go to college, retard
there's nothing you can do that a chink cant do better for cheaper
>>
>>2825015
My brother in christ, you've been told 100 times that what your shop pays you is below button pusher wages at basically any other shop.
>>
When I took my first class In the machine shop, an old teacher said "never wear anything below the elbow" and the shows us a vid of a lathe eating a guy and turning him into a bag of meat.

I think about that every time I use a lathe and roll my sleeves up.
>>
>>2825018
I have a Stem Bachelors
And a non-stem masters

So basically I have a bachelors only lol

>>2825035
Button pushers fuck pinless parts than I do because their shot is dialed in and setup so they’re worth more
>>
>>2810147
Unfortunately because our government was/is a bunch of short sighted retards.
>>
>>2825151
Well it’s also management, let’s talk desktop computers… how many 25 year old desktop computers do you think china has in their manufacturing facilities?
>>
>>2825159
Ask this question again in 10 years
>>
>>2825159
china semiconductors companies have reverse engineered and made the 486 for internal use, so i would bet they actually need them
in which quantitties i dont know, but they do in enough quantities to warrant to have the national capabilities to make them
>>
How autistic should I get about tools? Should I be using a round turning insert designed for roughing SS followed by a V insert designed for finishing SS or will a general C insert perform well enough for most jobs?
>>
>>2825463
are you a hobbist an independent profesional what?
>>
>>2825503
I'm managing a tool crib where I work. I am in programming though and I want to consider stocking a greater variety. My boss thinks it will just confuse the machinists
>>
>>2825528
>the machinists
have you tried talking with them?
>>
>>2825463
>>2825528
It needs to be an organized change to programming.

Not just 'hey supply bro told me to use this bit now

It should be 'engineering, QA and mgmt, approved a roughing pass using this new endmill and we're pushing it 20% over its rated feed and speed but it's okay we are wearing out/ breaking them because it improves our time so much.'

If you want something probably under your preview, you could serialize everything and track wear on them to see if they're getting the rated life out of them, or to see when they should be replaced or at least inspected.

The stuff you need to stock should be for the jobs you got planned.
>>
>>2825463
Depends. Are we talking a half dozen, small parts once in a while, or several hundred/decent sized or large parts? If the latter, yes it's 100% worth it to get SS specific tooling.
>>
File: 1699370847456029.jpg (20 KB, 367x384)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>2825463
ask your fucking tooling rep
>>
File: insert-chart.png (19 KB, 619x403)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
Something I've been curious about. Has anyone ever used inserts with a tolerance class other than M? Do they even exist?
>>
File: 20240514_113831.jpg (2.82 MB, 4032x3024)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
>>2825570
m vs g nomenclature has changed informally from tolerance to
>molded
>ground
where the ground inserts are the highly polished aluminum/nonferrous style with a knife sharp, high rake cutting edge
>>
>>2825408
Probably to sell them on temu so American machine shop owners can buy them to keep their shops running
>>
>>2810147
This isn't that weird in industry either. You build a brand new widget factory with the latest technology. In 50.years its nit the latest any.ore. it kinda sucks but everyone is trained on it and it mostly works so replacing everything would be crazy. Don't wanna make a new factory because then you're own worst competitor.
>>
>>2825694
as far i know is really really difficult to buy, so i doubt it.
and there is plenty of those from western sources
>>
File: 1702605938696685.png (13 KB, 416x500)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>2823100
You only make $18/hr? Jesus Christ. Wat do they pay the operators?
>>
>>2806921
Quit my position and went back to school for mechanical engineering about a year ago.

It's great, any anons on the fence about doing the same absolutely should.
>>
>>2825965
Like button pushers? Nothing… they’re high school kids working for school credit/internship when we do get them

Otherwise I just hit cycle start on each of the 4 machines while running the lathe
>>
>>2826060
Thanks anon. I took a break from my degree to start as a programmer and honestly I hate my job. I'd much prefer engineering
>>
Haunted CNC machines? Looking at a buying a doosan mill that a machinist had an accident at and succumbed to his injuries in the hospital. I do believe in ghosts but do you think his spirit would attach to the machine?
>>
>>2826636
its case by case and how you feel. a local farmer had the front window pop out of his nearly new combine while his 4 year old son was leaning against it riding along. he fell directly under the tire and was killed. the farmer was so distraught he sent the combine to scrap after the investigation as he never wanted to see it again
whats the story with the mill? did the guy put his head directly under the spindle and hold the z jog down?
>>
File: 1721427997903.jpg (296 KB, 2048x1536)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
>>2826647
A 40 taper fleshlight he made ripped his cock off
>>
>>2826653
Jeesus that's rough
>>
File: interdasting.jpg (188 KB, 995x1023)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>2826653
based doosan cleansing the world of degenerates
>>2826656
>>2810013
>>
I got an add for this desktop 5 axis CNC on Youtube. Are these just a gimmick or could it be useful for prototyping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CnSVTg9PCU
>>
>>2828387
Google the horsepower of the motor on that
Then Google recommended milling feeds and speeds
Then Google horsepower requirement calculator
Wall outlets are insufficient for milling anything more than brass with a good finish imo
Then you have to consider the rigidity of the machine. The less rigid, the more tools you will break regardless of how careful you are.
>>
Can't post pictures for some reason.
Found a Mitutoyo micrometer at a used store for $5, the card inside says Mitutoyo all over except for the message on the card.

MITSUTOYO is the mark of the highest accuracy and durability in Micrometers, Vernier Calipers. Dial Gauges and other precision measuring instruments, Steeped in more than 30 years experience and continued studies on demands ,in industrial circles, the company has created the most excellent products available.

Counterfeit?
>>
File: 1722045701237.jpg (412 KB, 720x960)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>>2829457
Looks like this one, the sticker on the end of mine is black with gold letters and the formatting is different but the numbers are the same, case looks the same but mine is dark gray.
>>
File: 1722046422753.jpg (3.68 MB, 2981x2236)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
>>2829466
>can post pics now
Sorry for the shit quality. It actually has 2 identical cards in it, back side is a decimal to fraction chart.
>>
>>2829457
Mitsutoyo is sort of the "literal" spelling of the company name in Latin characters, but "Mitutoyo" is the official, brand spelling for western markets. Given the age, it was probably a typesetting oversight for the cards. If you look on the wikipedia page, it lists "Mitsutoyo" with the actual kanji or whatever. That aside, it all looks correct to every other mic of theirs I've seen.
Also, leave a gap between the anvils. Never store a mic closed like that, especially with carbide tips, if there's a big temperature swing, you can crack them or damage the internal threads.
>>
>>2829468
Looks real.
ミツトヨ is how it's written in Japanese and the direct translation is "mi tsu to yo" Mitutoyo is the English way of saying the name.

Now, does it "feel" real? if so, then it probably is.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.