[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0963.jpg (64 KB, 880x1024)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
Think I might have stripped it a bit…
>>
HAHAHA HOLY COW YOU SURE DID HAHAHA

WOW WHO HASN'T BEEN THERE

I FEEL FOR YOU BROTHER HAHAHA
>>
>>2810268
get a hacksaw and cut a slot in it
>>
hardly noticeable bro
>>
>>2810268
3/10. It’s not even discolored from spinning a bit in there until you heat treated it.
>>
>>2810268
I got one like that out by drilling a hole, taking a T20 bit screwdriver, tapping it in the hole and twisting it out.
>>
No that's just a new security drive
>>
>>2810268
I pulled a bolt out of a block that was so stripped metal spirals came out with the bolt. I'd never actually seen that before.
>>
drill a hole and cut in a counter thread, then get a counter screw, screw it in waaah laaah
i do that whenever i use hexagon screws or whatever you call them, that will be used a lot, saves lives
>>
>>2810268
The screw has been promoted to rivet
>>
File: IMG_20200804_170643.jpg (1.25 MB, 4160x3120)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>2810268
bastard screw
>>
saw you can stick a rubber band at the end of a bit to pull it out with friction but haven't had to try it myself thankfully
>>
>>2812730
That’s one of those tricks that works with slightly worn phillips screws, the same shit you could unscrew by putting some weight into a good screwdriver.
>>
>dull driver bit starts slipping
>watch the RETARD with a drill just grind it into a circle

good stuff
>>
>>2812830
>the look on his face when he pulls the bit off the screw and it's fuckign stripped to hell and he just stares at it like he can't believe this has happened to him after running the bit in there for like 2 full minutes
>>
>>2810268
You just need the correct bit.
>>
>>2812830
Don't know about OP but I've been around some really nasty screws, you would swear they were made of gallium.
>>
File: 1718761706658.jpg (10 KB, 251x242)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>2810268
>stripped
nigga you practically polished the inside.
>>
the ultimate anti-tampering screw
>>
>>2810383
>taking a T20 bit screwdriver, tapping it in the hole and twisting it out.

This. The cheap HF bits are perfect for this.
>>
>>2815025
The problem with that is if you get cheap ass bits that aren’t properly hardened tool steel, they’re never going to cut into the fucked up screw.

The little handheld impact drivers are pretty useful and you can use any 1/4” bit you want with the smaller ones.
>>
>>2810325
The method of sawing a slot, then using a flathead screwdriver only works with proud heads, unless you use a dremel with a small grinding ball, or w/e.

What I would try is drilling two holes in the screw head to then drive the screw using a spanner bit.
Using a simple jig, ie a small piece of plywood with two holes with correct spacing.

But it's probably more straight forward in this specific scenario to use an extractor.
>>
>>2815177
This is why the flathead idea normally sucks, assuming you’re not a retard who stripped out the screw by being a retard. If you’re dealing with a stripped fastener that got stripped because it was seized or overly tight, that little 2-prong spanner bit is going to promptly snap.
>>
>>2815189
Ok, yeah. The largest spanner bit is #14, which is for 1/4" diameter screws, so that's the limit.

But it might still work for OP's size.
>>
>>2812730
Sandpaper might work better in this sitch.
>>
>>2812919
Anon, what did you do that you managed to strip a tungsten carbide die bit down to smooth metal?
>>
>>2815642
He was using it to tig weld with alternating current
>>
File: 1703456794629913.jpg (34 KB, 512x468)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
what if he put some soldered a scredriver to it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.