[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

how many /diy/ers can solve this question? the answer might surprise you!
>>
This is where the axis breaks.
>>
D) Neither, because the post and arm are made of steel tube painted to look like wood, and the black sphere and chain is made of polyethylene and from picrel
>>
>>2810836
yeah but the beams are covered in burning jet fuel
>>
>>2810816
a
>>
They say that wood performs better in compression than in tension, and I believe that's true. If we assume that the joint between beam and post is unbreakable, and that the wooden beam is uniform and unbreakable *except* for those two points, then the point that's in tension (A) will break first. "First", but just barely. The failure of A will almost immediately lead to the failure of B.

But I'm a B-fag when it really comes down to it.
>muh hula hoops
Please.
>>
lol at people overthinking this. it's a.
>>
c) it snaps like spaghetti into 3 pieces
>>
>>2810816
at the knot
>>
File: trap.png (154 KB, 2758x1679)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
>>2810816
>be me
>get engineering degree
>apply at company
>give me mechanical aptitude test
>hear nothing
>put on my super charm and call secretary to pump for info
>"so have you heard anything?"
>"well you scored higher on the mechanical aptitude test than anyone who has ever taken it so I can't imagine they wouldn't want you."
>feels good man
>they never called

knowing is the true failure. also the answer is D. it won't break if it's not already broken in this scenario. nothing is changing so it is a static system shown.
>>
>>2810965
>well you scored higher on the mechanical aptitude test than anyone who has ever taken it so I can't imagine they wouldn't want you
that was sarcasm, anon. they were probably laughing together about your test result when you called.
>>
>>2810864
But that won't melt it
>>
>>2810980
:o
>>
>>2810816
>do my homework for me!
The real life answer is this >>2810948, but assuming the material is homogenous then it is most likely to break at A. Since the top of the material is in tension while the bottom is in compression.
>>
>>2810894
>They say that wood performs better in compression than in tension
the tensile strength of a wood beam along the axis of the fibres is much higher in tension than in compression
however compression doesn't lead to cracks
>>
>>2811985
I mean it took like 70 years to figure out why the baseball bat breaks backwards so maybe don't get too wrapped up in the details before we even know what type of wood we're talking about.
>>
>>2810816
wood is anisotropic but like other anons have said it usually performs better in tension, so B
there are also shear forces in the axial and normal direction but i don't think that matters much here
>>
did you know that trees naturally grow compressionwood and tensionwood, old woodcrafters used to exploit these properties to get the most out of their timber, a detail lost on modern carpentry
>>
>>2812214
in fact they now actively avoid sawn timber with reactionwood because it doesn't comply easily
>>
>>2812214
was used in bowmaking as well
>>
>>2810836
>D) Neither
That would be answer C.
>>
File: spoon.jpg (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>2810965
>mechanical aptitude test
They don't have hard questions like "is a bicycle's right pedal left threaded?" Instead they're testing if you remember getting splashed while washing cutlery.
>>
>>2810980
But it might make it deform instead of cracking
>>
>>2813943
Yeah, but that doesn't explain why the one next to it cracked too.
>>
File: 1719128797368.jpg (376 KB, 1604x776)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
>>2810816
There's nothing to discuss. Typical construction timber has properties of C24. It's in german but tension strength of 14 N/mm2 is a lot lower then compression strength of 21 N/mm2.

The part of cross section in your example is the top part, the solution is A. Here is video of a four point bending test https://youtu.be/ws7eJPYda2s
>>
>>2810965
You was white, cracka.
>>
>>2816232
>Here is video of a four point bending test
literally the opposite situation op asked for
>>
>>2816573
No it's not, it's bending in both cases.
>>
>>2810980
doesnt have to melt to be structurally useless
>>
>>2810836
>black sphere

close, but that's jigglypuff viewed from above (painted black)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.