[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_2188.jpg (235 KB, 1117x1280)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
Topic says it all, I guess.

I’m an euro/german, so spax and Würth seem like the obvious choice and since I can’t get Würth, spax it is. But is it really?
Tried Lux (obi house brand) thinking
>how hard can it be to make a simple screw
And yeah, apparently very hard.
https://www.spax.com/de-de/spax-in-der-praxis/holzbau/characteristics-of-a-spax-wood-screw.html
Explains a lot, but not all. Mostly, not really sure whether to get yellow or silver screws. Obi mostly sells yellows, whereas you get silver online, so I figure silver is the better option.
And of course I technically red to choose the type of screw, depending on the material, but it seems like “universal “ is good enough for most /diy/ uses.
Should I just say >fuck it and get pic related and have EVERYTHING?
>>
>>2812554
Maybe don't buy shit in Obi of all places, but beyond that, I really wouldn't bother chasing faggot brands. I usually buy screws from (euro) online retailers or local stores that specialize in fasteners, never had any issues whatsoever. Screws and bolts all have their particular strength ratings according to ISO standards, anything retailed in decent EU stores should live up to the same ratings.
Aliexpress stuff can be much more of a tossup.
>>
Certainly a nice box including an expensive L-Case and you can't go wrong with Spax. I have also eyed that box but I usually only need one or two kind of screws and would empty out just one of the little containers and the rest would just sit there unused. So I rather go and buy the ones I need in these carton boxes.
>>
From their description it sounds like the silver Wirox screws have a better corrosion resistance than the yellows. They say the wirox are for rain protected outside use. They have the same box with stainless screws too that are specific for outside use.

You need both
t. screw salesman
>>
>>2812559
I did the math and that l box adds like 30€ compared to only the screws, which is recoup easily with 3 spared >fuck, I need THIS SIZE NOW! trips to obi. I already got like 10 different sizes in semi regular use, but those small boxes are running empty (didn’t have much space and didn’t really need many, but both now changed, the second due to the first) and I need to get a bunch of screws. >>2812557
Obi is all I have in reach if I don’t wanna go online or need some random stuff quickly, so I’d rather stock up on good stuff. Sure obi screws still work (mostly) but spax for example is just so much better.
>>2812560
I’ve got some stainless too, but I only get those for stuff I really need stainless. Most of my uses are random indoor uses. Wood, the occasional anchoring stuff into walls etc.
>>
>>2812554
The thing I used to hate about mechanics is that they ignored torque specs, they reused torque to yield bolts and didn’t understand that bolts stretch

And used gallled threads well past their useable life

And just ugga dugga ugga dugga fucked up bolts

Replace early and replace often bolts are a consumable
>>
>>2812621
> bolts are a consumable
Learned something new today. I thought only would screws (heh, how far NVIDIA has come, from wood screws to being the first 1 gazzilion $ company…) where essentially single use.
>>
>>2812554
the ones i borrowed from my aunt
>>
>>2812554
The kit is cool but €200. It equals16 boxes of around €10 each plus the assorter and the bits, so imo it’s okay. But I haven’t spent that much on screws since I’ve never needed that many different sizes.

I get the cheap dresselhaus screws from hornbach and never stripped a single torx head on them. I buy 3x30 4x40 4x60 and 6x80, that’s the same amount of screws for €30. And if you get a raaco assorter you can take the individual drawer boxes out instead of having to carry the entire collection around all the time
>>
>>2812621
In certain applications it is definitely worth it to put new bolts in. In others, fuck it. Send it in with the impact.

If you're a moron that replaces every bolt with a new one every time you take something apart then go ahead and waste your money. If you're a cheapass that re-uses obviously stretched and galled bolts then you're an idiot and deserve what you get. Like everything, the key is moderation and knowing when to buy new or re-use.
>>
>>2812675
I’m not poor so why not make shit nice you know?

The types of dudes with buckets of old used bolts laying around probably are the types of dudes who shit talk snap-on tools for being too nice and expensive
>>
>>2812623
On nicer vehicles yes, head bolts on like BMW and Mercedes are single use ditto most bolts for the engine

If you drive like an f150, I’m sure the manual says use your ebt card to get McDonald’s and hoard all the soda cups to retain the hardware and use beercan aluminum to gap spark plugs because poverty
>>
>>2812554
the best
nice hex drive
always go in easily
no rust
what more could you want?
>>
File: IMG_2975k.jpg (3.87 MB, 5000x3333)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB JPG
>>2812554
Hello fellow German,
where you are now, I was a couple of years ago. I had to make the exactly same decisions.
I tried Würth Assy, and they are for sure the nicest, especielly the Assy Drive.
But Würth primarily caters to businesses, so as an individual, what you may get is prohibitively expensive.
I also tried Dresselhaus JD-79, and they do also work well, as does Spax.
But I finally decided to buy "Spanplattenschraube IVZ". Apparently the manufacturer is "Fishbull".
If you google it, you find they are sold for only €5/kg t eBay, Amazon and "Sonderpreis-Baumarkt". I recomment the latter, as they also sell small numbers like 50 or 100 pieces individually for the same €5/kg.
In several years, I did not have a single screw fail. And you really can't beat the pre-war price!
So you can get a number of every size.
Don't buy the assortment in your image. Much better are the sorting boxes from Allit. I use the 37/7 in pic related, and there are both smaller and larger variants with compatment sizes you can define yourself.
Those are really great!
So my strategy was to buy a large number of each screw size, fill up the Allit boxes and keep the rest in storage. I work from the Allit boxes, and refill from storage if I run out of a size there.
And when you are at it, Sonderpreis-Baumarkt also sells really nice copies of the red "Tox Tri" dowels, also under the Fishbull brand, which are just as good as Fischer, but way cheaper.
>>
>>2812996
> especielly the Assy Drive.
Head the pleasure of working with that at some job and it really is the best, but fuck jumping through some hoops and overpaying, just to get them as a private guy.
>Fishbull
Kek. That sounds like an AliExpress special. But those can indeed be good, but at the amounts I’m using per year, going with made in Germany spay doesn’t cost that much more.
>>
>>2813057
>Kek. That sounds like an AliExpress special. But those can indeed be good, but at the amounts I’m using per year, going with made in Germany spay doesn’t cost that much more.

Aliexpress is more expensive. I checked.
If you only ever bought what you really need, this ist true, Spax is alright.
But if you want to build a stash so you have the perfect size everytime you need it without driving to the hardware store each time, costs can add up.
>>
>>2812993
What does “mechanical galvanized” mean?
Are those retards trying to say “hot-dip galvanized?”
>>
>>2812554
For just about all carpentry I use GRK Rugged Structural Screws. Torx drive. Expensive but they're the best.
Sometimes also use >>2812993 for connectors.

The cheap yellow screws are crap.
>>
>>2812688
Your pretentious faggotry is showing...

Aren't you the same one that was crying about how much land cost in another recent thread? Keep buying your designer clothing, your onions lattes, and your bolts that don't need replaced and you'll never be able to afford anything of actual value. You may have a job that pays decent, but you'll only ever be nigger rich because of your poorfag mentality... If you were half as hot shit as you think you are you wouldn't be slaving away for someone else at your job you seem to hate.

Also the thread was about screws, not bolts, so your entire post was an utter failure just as you are.
>>
File: rk00.jpg (59 KB, 500x500)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>2812554
>Best screws?
Yer mom.
>>
File: 1707689579574112.png (135 KB, 646x646)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>2812554
These things are beasts. I used over a hundred on them on the landscaping stairs we just put in.
>>
File: DP_coated_bolts.jpg (273 KB, 1280x960)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>2812554
also good HSeasy and screws from SWG
Buy the sizes you need often like 4,5*45 in big boxes like 500 pcs.

yellow screws look better if you dont intend to paint the wood. they blend in better.
yellow was hexavalent chromium in the past so it gets less common and silver zinc has better corosion protection

>>2813129
maybe zink flake coating they get dipped in zinc powder slurry then spin the ecess off and bake them in a oven.
>>
File: 1708698866348.png (826 KB, 1001x616)
826 KB
826 KB PNG
>>2812554
The Bauhaus brand for screws, bolts and other fasteners from a fastener specialized company in my town.
Built a massive table with the Bauhaus screws last week. god I love torx so much bros
>>
>>2812621
The Torque Channel has a great series on TTY bolt durability and how they compare to reusable studs. Also allegedly Honda has a procedure specifically for previously stretched TTY bolts so you get one engine rebuild without having to buy a set of engine head bolts.
>>
>>2812554
the best ones are the ones you nick from work for free

> stole some titanium bolts
>>
>>2813129
Mechanical galvanized and hot-dip galvanized are very different processes. Mech galv is far more uniform process that doesn't require recutting the threads, and other post-processing. Mech galv can also be performed on heated-treated fasteners without affecting the temper. And much cheaper. But for absolute performance (particularly impact resistance) outside of a few niche areas (like the heat-treated fasteners) hot-dipped is superior.
>>
>>2815899
>bolt
But this thread is about (wood) screws. What’s the difference between a bolt and a screw?
>>
>>2815579
>>2815579
but be aware about bauhaus or hardware store bolts and nuts there only 4.6 which is pot metall
>>
>>2812554
>euro/german
your friendly neigbourhood bauforum24 tested them all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4w9hJmy0nI
And purely looking at torque, Spax ain't too bad, even better than Würth (though, assy, damn, those are nice), but apparently Förch (never heard of 'em) is best.
But does torque really play that much of a role, with wood screws? As long as they're not total chinesium, they should be strong enough. For me, stripping and stuff is much more important.
>>
File: 20240630_110113.jpg (229 KB, 2000x1795)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>2818272
>screw
tightened by turning the head
>bolt
tightened by turning the nut
>>
>>2819259
are those guys the german project farm?
i know nothing of german speaking youtube
>>
>>2819270
Is Projekt Farm the English bauforum24? I know nothing of Anglo YouTube.
…apparently they bough a hugely expensive, calibrated torque measuring device and now they have to justify it by “testing” all kinds of stuff. But they also do a lot of other stuff in the weird intersection of a Venn diagram of entertainment, education and advertising. Eg some multiple hour long factory tools or “chats” with reps from tool brands or hours and hours of tests for battery powered drills or table saws.
>>
>>2819459
>Is Projekt Farm the English bauforum24? I know nothing of Anglo YouTube.
well it is clear that you understand english, while i dont understand german, and the youtube automatics translations doesnt translate the video thumbnails or the graphics words...
>>
>>2819814
sucks to be you i guess
>>
>>2812554
Heco? Note, I don't use them, but I wondered why they were so expensive.
I was seriously surprised at all the "features" it had.
>>
>>2812663
most of the money is for the gay box
>>
>>2812623
ive been reusing the same wood screws for over 20 years.
>>
>>2812691
If you have an official service manual for any vehicle it will specify which bolts must be replaced after disassembly.
>>2812623
it depends on what the bolt is being used for, and bolts have a large variety of strength ratings for various applications.
bolts that hold your engine together and that hold the wires on the suspension bridge are critical applications. Bolts that hold your computer desk together can be reused until they rust through. Other bolts tend to be between these extremes.
some bolts are specifically single use and stretch permanently when tightened to the engineered torque spec. Some, like steering column bolts, will literally snap off the head part when they reach the specified torque, and this is by design.
on bridges and building frames, bolts have replaced rivets due to bolts having much more controllable strength, deformation, and failure characteristics. In these applications, bolts can be considered a single-use fastener, like the rivets they replaced.
it’s kind of sad to see the old heat formed rivet go away because those were some of the best three stooges episodes.
>>
>>2819262
>with a wide enough washer I could fasten the clouds to the sky
>>
>>2812554
>Best screws?
your mom

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.