[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 71SeyBh5EOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (127 KB, 1401x1500)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
i'm trying to remove about 15% of the top plastic cover so it fits inside a fixture (doesn't have to be accurate, just even). I have a battery drill and some stone grinding bits in different shapes (cylindrical, cone shape, spherical).
would it work?
>>
>>2813005
Maybe pipe cutter would help? They're designed flr cutting perfect lines through round plastic pipes
>>
>>2813006
that's a good idea, but i don't have one.
>>
>>2813005
Drill is kind of the hardest tool you could have. A chrap handsaw or it's equivalent powertool would probably work much better. Saw is also such a common tool you'd want to own one regardless of lightbulb shenanigans
>>
File: 71VwbNkT22L.jpg (155 KB, 1600x1600)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>2813008
so these wouldn't work?
>>
>>2813010
Maybe with a ton of patience and air full of plastic dust, but I'd just get the right tool for the job
>>
The way you'd use a drill is to chuck the bulb base into the drill, mount it in a vise and then very precisely/carefully touch a hacksaw blade or plexiglass cutter to it as it's turning
>>
>>2813010
They will melt the plastic rather than cut it.
>>
>>2813005
I know it's not exactly safe, but I just smacked one with a hammer to remove theglass so it would fit in a dome.
>>
>>2813007
lol

>best way to evenly cut a plastic bulb with stuff i have
>i dont have anything btw
>thanks in advance

get a fucking job and buy the correct size bulb you broke ass retard.. cutting a bulb is fucking completely retarded
>>
>>2813005
the irony is it would be simple if it was glass. you'd just need a string and some alcohol.
>>
>>2813005
pic rel is usually glass
>>
>>2813005
why would you not just buy the right fucking bulb?
>>
File: 1435035231352.jpg (42 KB, 657x802)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>2813005
>best way to evenly cut a plastic bulb
Heat up the bulb plastic maybe about 150 F in the oven then use some wood to bend it to shape. NO cutting.
>>
>>2813460
well anon. i tried finding one that will fit inside the fixture, with wattage above f'ing 6 watts and a clear globe, but couldn't. and don't bother showing me an amazon link cause they prob don't ship it to romania.

>>2813450
>pic rel is usually glass
no, i banged on it a couple of times. it is plastic.

>>2813288
>get a fucking job and buy the correct size bulb you broke ass retard.. cutting a bulb is fucking completely retarded
yes anon, i am retarded. you're right about everything. thank you.
>>
is it not possible to modify the fixture to accommodate the bulb you have?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.