[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 91if-ASjn5L.jpg (548 KB, 1567x1772)
548 KB
548 KB JPG
I have this ice cream maker that has stopped being able to cool.

I have tried everything I can think of. The compressor draws 0.7 amps and runs when turned on. I can feel it has a slight vibration and it slowly gets hot after running for about an hour. It also seems to have the right internal resistance.

The relay had something that looks like burns. I changed it, but it did not help.

What more can I do?
>>
do you have any way to gauge the pressure in the high/low lines? that would at least tell you if it's moving refrigerant, or if there's anything in the lines at all. sometimes even if the compressor works you could have a blockage (or leak) somewhere in the system.
>>
>>2813085
I have been considering of there is a blockage or if there has been a refrigerant leak.

What is the easiest way to check if there is flowing refrigerant? I do not have any special tools for cooling systems, and everything I see online requires a lot of tools.
>>
>>2813091
I don't know how the system is laid out inside an ice cream maker, but usually for AC systems there are service ports with schrader valves you can attach a gauge to. you usually want to use a manifold gauge to monitor both pressures at once, but you can get by checking one side at a time to make sure it's within the pressure range for the refrigerant used.
>>
>>2813127
There are no valves. I do not know the technical terms, it is a "closed" system. Everything is soldered, and there are only tubes. Much like a small fridge.

I am considering buying a piercing valve, and just hoping filling it with refrigerant will work.

Do you think this is worth the try? I cannot find anywhere where I can rent a manifold and vacuum pump.
>>
>>2813131
hm, that's tricky then. I only have a bit of experience with car AC myself. I kind of doubt it leaked if it's a closed loop and inside an ice cream machine. my only tip would be that if you do decide to try charging the system, you can skip the vacuum pump by using R134a, which doesn't need a vacuum to charge. Like I said a leak sounds unlikely though, sorry I can't be more helpful.
>>
>>2813131
>I am considering buying a piercing valve, and just hoping filling it with refrigerant will work.
If the compressor is actually running and the unit isn't cooling at all, then either there is a blockage or it has leaked out the refrigerant

If there's a blockage, then using a piercing valve to add refrigerant won't help.
If there's a leak, then using a piercing valve to add refrigerant won't help because the new charge will leak out too.
And that would be assuming that you could add the proper amount of charge. Too much refrigerant will make it fail to operate.

It's probably a leak.

The proper way to fix this is to use either a piercing valve or solder on a service valve to get access to the system, then if it's empty or low on charge, pressurize the system and find the leak. Fix the leak (this may be basically impossible on a shitty appliance like this with an evap coil that can't really be replaced) and finally recharge the system. If there's a blockage, then it's almost certainly the capillary tube. Capillary tubes are used on most (all?) small appliances like this rather than a TXV or piston because of economy reasons.

Unless you're approaching this as a purely educational experience, I recommend just throwing the thing away and getting another one. If you have to buy the tools to do the job, then you will likely spend more money on tools than you would on a new appliance (although if you intend to be able to repair other things in the future, it may be a decent investment)
>>
>>2813225
>using a piercing valve to add refrigerant won't help.
>The proper way to fix this is to use a piercing valve
shartgpt response
>>
>>2813217
you always need a vacuum to charge ac. if you have a leak, that means atmosphere (water vapor, co2, nitrogen, etc = bad working fluids) is getting inside the system. when you diagnose a refrigerant loop you look for leaks by attaching a set of gauges and pulling a vacuum. if the vacuum doesnt creep back to baseline, and holds a vacuum, then you know your system is sealed. when you purge everything out of a system, it fills better, and there is only a limited capacity within those pipes and evap/condensor. just adding refrigerant doesnt remove water vapor, but many systems have a drier in the loop, usually calcium chloride or some other desiccant, to pull the water into it. this doesnt remove any other atmospheric contaminants though. only water. im sure a small closed system like the ice cream maker will have two (2) ports or capillary tubes that have been crimped or soldered shut after the system has been charged. this is not serviceable unless you modify the ports to accept a bog-standard manifold gauge, which would probably involve some brazing.

you might have a bad thermistor, that would overrun the machine by having it think it is not down to the calibrated temperature, and with something so small, it really probably is only meant for a single cycle before it heat soaks, and by overrunning the compressor it is burning up either the motor or the compressor itself. i would even wager you have a leak in one of the coils, which cant be fixed easily in situ.

not worth anyones time to fix, which is why it was probably affordable enough to buy. if you want to make good ice cream and have the ability to fix it when it inevitably breaks, probably shell out for a commercial unit.
>>
If there is a blockage, how would I fix it?
>>
>>2813229
Reading is too hard, huh Mohommad?
>>
>>2813240
if it's a small leak and still has some pressure i don't think you need to vacuum it
t. watched landlords """fix""" my ac a dozen times by just gassing it up
>>
>>2813070
HVAC tech here, small chillers and AC's like this one are closed systems, you will need a piercing saddle stub out, nitrogen to check for leaks, a manifold gauge, and refrigerant (which is illegal to purchase if you don't have a 608). The amount of tools you will need to service this cost more than the unit itself.

Based on your symptoms I think your compressor is shot, just buy a new chiller.

>>2814091
>t. watched landlords """fix""" my ac a dozen times by just gassing it up
gee I wonder why they had to do it a dozen times, lmao
>>
>>2815978
>refrigerant (which is illegal to purchase if you don't have a 608).
you can buy refrigerant online all you have to do is check a little box that says you have an EPA license (they don't check).
>>
>>2815986
based. hvaccies blown the fuck out
>>
>>2815978
>gee I wonder why they had to do it a dozen times, lmao
well, they were certainly saving money
the ac unit must have been at least 30 years old. if they call you you will make a onions face and point to a 5000 dollar replacement + labor
>>
File: IMG_7836.jpg (926 KB, 1536x2048)
926 KB
926 KB JPG
>>2813091
>and everything I see online requires a lot of tools.
this is the way. these systems are also usually sealed so they wont even have ports to hook up a manifold or probes to, so you get to buy piercing taps. and assuming the refrigerant has leaked out, you get to buy even more tools like a micron gage and a vacuum pump. I just spent a couple grand to be able to do this.

>>2813127
>usually for AC systems there are service ports with schrader valves you can attach a gauge to
most appliances, even commercial are type 1 devices which are required to be sealed and not easily servicable. thanks EPA.

>>2813131
>There are no valves
https://www.amazon.com/Supco-BPV31-Bullet-Piercing-Valve/dp/B06XK2SWNX

>>2813217
>I kind of doubt it leaked if it's a closed loop
shit leaks all the time

>you can skip the vacuum pump by using R134a, which doesn't need a vacuum to charge
you are certifiably retarded. you dont need a vacuum to charge, you need to remove water and non-condensable gasses from a system. The compressor will draw the refrigerant in, as that is its job.

>>2813250
cutting out the effected section and replacing it

>>2815978
>refrigerant (which is illegal to purchase if you don't have a 608)
shut the fuck up you cock sucking faggot. just about any place will ship you refrigerant online by just checking a box saying you are certified. even if they were fags and wont, 608 type 1 is stupid easy, its a 25 question open book test which takes 10 minutes to take and a $21 or $25 fee at mainstream engineering. stop trying to gatekeep your shitty profession.
>>
>>2817117
>still has the caps for the hydrometers
Tell me you don't use your tools without telling me.
>>
>>2817133
you must be retarded if you dont know what dust covers are
>>
>>2817133
>hydrometers
also they're psychrometers you retard. and pic related
https://resources.fieldpiece.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Opman_JL3RH_v15.pdf
>>
>>2817134
>>2817135
fucking softhand pussy's
>>
>>2817155
stay butthurt anon you cant afford tools like this for things which are little more than a hobby. and that even if you could afford them, you would break them in a years time because you cant be bothered to follow the maintenance instructions for them.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.