[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Story
>In college, buy a water glass at goodwill, looks kind of tacky, just need some glasses for the house.
>Its not remarkable in any way, clear glass, the thickness is a little less than a normal water glass, thicker than a wine glass.
>One night, friends and I throw our glasses across a field into a railroad tie.
>Mine doesn't break.
>Throw it repeatedly on to concrete pad until it has a slight dent in it, and some whitening.
>Nothing ever breaks off of the glass, it ends up slightly dented and out of round after four guys take turns trying to break it.
>Figure its some oddball plastic, heat it up with a propane torch.
>It doesn't melt after five minutes, just gets red hot and the whitening starts to go away.
>Forget about the whole thing for some reason and leave the glass behind somewhere.

Is this something like that superfest glass from east germany? My understanding is that superfest will shatter eventually, this seems different. I don't think superfest will bend like my glass did either.

Any suggestions on what this might have been, and how I can buy or make more of them?
>>
RIP OP

You'll never make it to the "If you or a loved one drank from the unbreakable unmeltable chinesium super leadbestos glass and developed assblastoma, you may be entitled to compensation" commercials
>>
>>2813449
pics or it didn't happen
>>
Yeah, i saw the nile red video too.
You don’t have to post shit every time someone makes a video about something.
>>
>>2813449
its old school pyrex, congrats
>>
>>2814099
I looked this guy up, didn't see anything related. Could you link it?
>>2814102
I could be wrong, but I don't think pyrex bends like this did. I could be wrong, but I though pyrex would eventually shatter.
>>
>>2814260

Maybe you're just a weak fucking pussybaby and the glass could tell. You need to be going to /fit/, not /diy/. Literally disrespected by a cup. Faggot.
>>
>>2814260
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NIAbt_GxPsg
>>
>>2814260
Pyrex can absolutely shatter.
>source: have shattered Pyrex
Heat it up to 140F, then hold it under cold water. That will shatter it.
>>
>>2814495
>https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NIAbt_GxPsg
I see. Superfest is nice, but I don't think it is what I had. Superfest is strong, but fails like normal glass. Mine was ductile enough that it could actually be dented with a hammer then bent back into the same shape.

Anyway, I think I found the same model of glass on ebay, will report back.
>>
>>2814525
I think arcopal can do that too.
>>
are we talking transparent aluminum here?
>>
>>2813449
Sounds like polycarbonate, but you'd have to be functionally retarded to mistake that for glass.
>>
could be laminated like a soda can. a plastic layer on the inside holding the glass together. The white lines makes me think the refraction of the break is random suggesting a poorly aligned structure similar to plastic. if it is sticky after being in a dark place for long periods of time that might be poorly formed hydrocarbon chains floating to the top.
btw if i heat up tree root rotter and submerged heating glass in it can i make potassium doped glass? would a vacuum increase penetration depth of an anamorphic solid or would the pressure slow it.
>>
>>2815329
they were drunk so.
>>
>>2814761
I don't think that is right, arcopal does not seem to have the ductility of what I had.
>>2814786
The way it failed was something like aluminum, but without the wrinkling I would expect.
>>2815329
>>2815341
>>2815351

Not ruling out that it some organic polymer, but I know my plastics pretty well and nothing about it made me think it was not glass. Some kind of "epoxy concrete" with glass particles as the aggregate doesn't seem impossible, but there are a few two problems with that.

1: It felt exactly like glass, I had it for over a year and I never noticed anything that made it not feel like glass.
2: Getting it to be truly transparent would probably be hard
3: When I heated it up, there were no noticeable fumes.

>btw if i heat up tree root rotter and submerged heating glass in it can i make potassium doped glass? would a vacuum increase penetration depth of an anamorphic solid or would the pressure slow it.

Cool question, I don't know the answer. The little I know about glass making is that there is going to be some trial and error to get something like this right. I wonder if a pressure cooker would work as the vessel if you used a roughing pump to evacuate it.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfest
>>
>>2814495
pyrex™ brand isn't always borosilicate glass anymore
>>
>>2815976
The story I'm referring to happened in the late 90s. I don't know if they stopped using at that point.
>>
>>2814495
Modern Pyrex is now just a brand name for glass. I look for the old stuff at yard sales instead.

Real Pyrex is borosilicate. New garbage is tempered soda lime glass.

https://imgur.com/buying-products-made-of-pyrex-olslOMN
>>
>>2816191
see >>2815980

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.