[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: lawnmower.jpg (71 KB, 640x480)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
diesel into both of my lawnmowers. So then I removed & cleaned out the fuel tanks, & put in fresh 87 octane. Also i removed & cleaned the carbs, opened them up & used carb cleaner.

still won't start. what do i do now?
>>
Clean the spark plugs, spray some starting fluid in the head while you have the plug out and let it evaporate
>>
Did you check that it has spark can you feel the compression when pull the cord?
>>
>>2814558
one of them starts up & runs for a half second after i spray starting fluid into the air intake, so i think it has good spark.

the other one won't start at all, i need to ck spark i guess
>>
are they Honda engines like the pic? lot of them have shitty wax chokes, are the chokes closed? not sure it would matter in summer though.
If its a Honda, did you take the main jet out when you cleaned it? Take it out so you can better clean it and the emulsion tube behind it. A lot of honda carbs have a little Philps heads screw on top, take the screw out and clean that circuit.
Also those paper gasket suck and can cause problems
>>
>>2814565
Briggs-Stratton.
>>
>>2814560
>one of them starts up & runs for a half second after i spray starting fluid into the air intake

carb needs better cleaning, make sure jets are clear
>>
>>2814918
Every time I clean a carb I'm surprised if it gets cleaned properly the first time. Taking it apart twice is a good motivator for doing it right the first time.
>>
File: B_Sfueltankcarbasy.jpg (86 KB, 934x700)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>2814908
The B&S engines with the fuel tank under and integral with the carb have a smaller "bowl" under the carb, inside the tank. If this is your configuration, betting that is still full of Deisel.
>>
>>2815023
100%. Everytime I've disassembled one of these, that catchment area is caked-up.

Once you get it proper clean and use treated gas, you can stick that thing away for the winter, and prime x5 and get it running again in the summer.

They were made in an era where gas didn't need to be treated. Ethanol is a horrible thing in gasoline.
>>
File: greta.jpg (40 KB, 542x532)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>2815284
>Ethanol is a horrible thing in gasoline
>>
>>2814553
got them both running today!
thank God, my lawn needed it bad.
the main jets were clogged, had to go to Ace & buy super thin steel wire so i could poke thru
probably come down with cancer from playing with carb cleaner, oh well
>>
>>2815323
They make a jet cleaning kit, or just get a torch tip cleaning kit
>>
>>2815347
>just get a torch tip cleaning kit

I do not use those on jets because they are very small round files and it's easy to enlarge tiny jets. Plain wire for whatever a soak in undiluted Pine-Sol overnight won't get (works better than modern neutered carb cleaner and won't damage plastic mower and other carb parts). After soaking in Pine-Sol I flush the carb bodies in a pot of very hot water. You can pour the leftovers down your sink if you don't save the pine oil (I strain it back into the jug using a wide plastic funnel as it's normally good for a couple of uses).

Clogged removable jets and emulsion tubes can be held in forceps (over a tray to prevent losing the part, do NOT forget this because chasing tiny jets sucks) and heated with a lighter. The varnish extrudes out like a tiny dry turd and can be flicked off. I keep junk bicycle and motorcycle cable around to use strands as jet pokers.
>>
>>2814553
Toss it out and get a reel mower. They're cheap, easy to maintain, quite, fuel efficient, and they leave the clippings in place which supports your soil health and decreases the amount of fertilizer you need for your lawn. Unless you have more than an acre of lawn I just don't see the point in any engine powered mower.
>>
>>2816340
Battery mowers are pretty good now. Reel mowers are fine if you have a small lawn or you're willing to mow every other day in summer, but I paid like 50 bucks for my 36V mower that runs on the same batteries I use in my drills, and I can do all my grass with about 40% of 2.5Ah(x2). If the batteries die after 20 charge cycles a year in 10 years, it's only another 60 bucks to buy another 2.
>>
>>2815284
>Ethanol is a horrible thing in gasoline.
Absolutely, it wrecked my 3 year old B&S engine. I had no idea it was this terrible and I really had no idea it was in our gas here in Euroland. I had to have it fixed and it cost so much I might as well have bought a new one. Anyway the mechanic told me when I stick it away for the winter to leave it with non-ethanol gas (which you can buy only in select gas stations) in the tank with a dash special treatment additive. The store that sold me the lawnmover however told me to store it with an empty tank. Which is it? Does anyone really know? It's kept in my garage.
>>
>>2817073
i store mine with ethanol gas and it still starts fine in the spring
just has to warm up a little bit with starter fluid or pumping the primer
>>
>>2814553
a gas lawn mower produces more pollution cutting an average small front lawn than driving over one hundred miles in a modern gas car.
throw your gas mower in the garbage and either buy a manual push mower you fat lazy fuck or a corded electric mower.
i don't believe in global warming but i do like clean and fresh air please. also the noise.
>>
>>2817114
>being this booty blasted
Fuck off nerd you.must be over 18 to post here. No one gives a shit what propaganda your life science teacher has been telling you
>>
>>2817114
I wasn't aware that gas mowers are that bad
good thing I don't care because I'll be long dead before anything actually happens
>>
>>2817114
Shut up bitch.witness me.
>>
>>2817073
Both are correct of course. Ideally if you stored it while operating room clean it can't varnish up if there's nothing in there. But no matter how well you try to run it dry and empty out the carb there will still be SOME drops in there and if you use half decent gas and a half decent stabilizer (sta-bil or whatever) then what little is still there can't f it up much. Personally I find it vastly easier to just run the engine every month rather than go to heroic efforts to pack it away untouched for eight months, its just simpler and takes less time overall. Also getting the oil nice and hot keeps the inside of the engine bone dry...

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.