[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1583723740731.png (185 KB, 400x349)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
What do you think are some fixables that get very little attention? Shit that can be repaired with intermediate skill and a little moneh, but most people aren't snatching up?

I know game consoles and pretty much anything music related are out, especially when you look on eBay for a console "for parts" and it's 90 percent of the retail value, or hipsters are devouring old synths because someone told them they're special and have some magic, impossible-to-replicate feature.

tl:dr What can be fixed that people are undervaluing right now?

Alternate question, what are your favorite sources for low-cost and free service manuals for a variety of things?
>>
>>2816050
>Girlfriend's dimmer switch broke.
> It's kind of fancy with a sliding mechanism and LED indicator but I assume it won't be more than $10.
> We go to Home Depot. $50 fucking dollars. Nope.
> I take it apart and crazy glue this tiny piece of plastic that snapped off. The mechanism stresses this so it's inevitable it breaks after the plastic gets old and brittle.
> It works perfectly now.
>>
>>2816050
Why would anyone reveal such a thing in a thread like this? I have a few things but fuck you, I’m not letting you assholes drive ebay prices up. That said for the stuff you did mention look local. I get game consoles cheap locally somewhat often. I look on marketplace and such and they go way lower than ebay prices fairly often. Just make sure you can actually fix them; a lot of times it’s stuff like busted hdmi/usb c ports that have been ripped off and need trace repair. Not crazy hard by any means but not a beginner job at all
>>
>>2816050
Go to your local thrift or habitat and pick up anything that is under its material value. This value is only there for someone who uses the material. That's where you come in OP. Don't be a hoarder.

Curb shopping when the rich neighborhoods get their special "throw shit away" week from the city is king. Some construction sites dumpster a lot of material. Often it needs some fasteners removed but generally it's just cut too small for their use and still fine for diy. Buy damaged materials from retail. This can be simple construction material or go up to furniture, appliance, and tools. Dumpster dive wasteful retail but be careful.
Hang out at the city dump. I semi frequently use their service. I saw a large company pitch 100 10' sheets of sheet rock one day. Appliances pile up there. I picked up a free working laser miter saw missing $10 of parts.

Sadly you're probably better off selling most things for parts rather than actively repairing them yourself. Replacement costs are too low while the communist utopias still enslave their workforce.

>>2816256
crazy glue with baking soda or cement is very strong when I'm trying to add to parts instead of just connecting them

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.