[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240622_203654.jpg (2.59 MB, 4032x2268)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB JPG
Hey /diy/, my ac just quit on me and I'm not sure why it did that.

I had it set to 76 most of today in 85 degree heat and I noticed later that the indoor furnace, pic related, wasn't cooling the house any.

Pics incoming of the outside of the unit. I'll be taking the cover off tomorrow to get pics. 2
>>
File: 20240622_204414.jpg (3.4 MB, 4032x2268)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
I went out while the capcha loaded and looked.

These wires probably aren't important, right?
>>
>Is the indoor fan running?
>Is the outdoor fan running?
>Is the compressor running?
>>
>>2816126
Sorry anon, I'm retarded this time of night.

Inside's not kicking on, outside's not kicking on. I separated the wires so they wouldn't touch anything they shouldn't. None of the wires are severed, just bent to shit.
>>
>>2816126
Indoor fan just hums quietly when I hit the switch
>>
>>2816132
Do you own a multimeter?
Take a picture of the blower compartment / control board. I would assume a bad cap for the indoor blower motor, but if nothing is happening at all, those tstat wires outside might have blown something.
>>
>>2816140
>I would assume a bad cap for the indoor blower motor,

"Humming" with no airflow is bad, regardless, but you're probably right.
>>
File: 20240623_072822.jpg (2.14 MB, 4032x2268)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
>>2816140
Yeah. It doesn't check capacitance, though, which is extremely gay. I can get a loaner to do the work with later, though I'm pretty sure pic related is the cap for the blower, but its not marked or anything.
>>
>>2816140
Pic of the whole board
>>
File: 20240623_072757.jpg (2.55 MB, 4032x2268)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
Fuck I'm retarded
>>
File: Bad Board.png (91 KB, 240x156)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>>2816306
Burn mark on your board. I would say bad board, but check the 5 amp fuse, too.
>>
>>2816306
Check the fuse, check if you have 24v between C and R, and R and Y.
>>
File: IMG_3919.png (1.06 MB, 1242x2688)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>2816303
You guys are amateurs. Check the capacitor with this method.

That burn mark on the board isn’t a big deal, that happens after years of use. The board is in the blower compartment because it gets fuckin hot.

Try helping the indoor fan motor spin with your hand, but please do not let it eat your fingers.

Is the outdoor unit coming on while the indoor fan motor hums? Cuz it should be
>>
>>2816510
marks like that are normal no circuit boards with power resistors. unless the resistor tests out of spec it is fine.
>>
Christ what a bunch of fuckin retards.

OP says NOTHING is running, inside or out.
If it was a bad motor cap the outside would be on and it would be frozen up,
The hum you're hearing next to the furnace is the transformer not the motor.
If the transformer is good (and if its humming it probably is) then check these:
- is the 5 amp fuse on the board popped? If it is then you have a short somewhere, probably going to outside.
- is the thermostat working? Put a jumper between R and Y on your board and push the door switch in. Does it come on? Stat's bad then.

My guess is the fuse is blown. The only two wires outside that matter are red and white. Your pic shows the white wire stripped bare outside. Tape all that shit up. Put a new fuse in.
If the wires aren't shorted then the contactor in the AC probably is. See if the coil looks burnt or smells bad.
>>
>>2816618
There is a blown 5 amp fuse on the board. I'm going to replace it tomorrow and report back in
>>
>>2816618
OP here, replacing the fuse worked. Taped the wires in a proper little tape coffin and its back in action.

Thank you all so much for your advice.
>>
>>2817116
It's a good idea to clean up those stripped control wires in your yard, because that's likely where the short which caused the blow fuse is from.

Glad you're back up and running.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.