[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: exclusive-countertop.jpg (431 KB, 2000x1289)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
If I'm going to make cultured marble tiles/slabs for kitchen decoration/finishes, do the tiles/slabs need to be 100% cultured marble or can it be layered?
For example, I make a silicon mould in which I pour a concrete base, once it hardens I move it to a slightly taller mould in which I make the cultured marble design/imitation on top of it.

What are the drawbacks against this? will the union be imperfect so it would be bound to cause problems, like delamination? what if the concrete base is a resin/concrete mix, will that make the union any better? would using glass fiber to unify the two also help?

Pic related is sort of what I'm going for. Both the bar in which the sink will be and the top of the island in which the stove will be at will be made of steel and/or concrete, the wall next to the sink will be cultured marble, and the sides of the island will also be cultured marble.

I know heat can cause resin to melt which would affect how the cultured marble looks which is why I'm opting for steel at the top of the bar and the island instead, just using the cultured marble as decorations to make everything look more luxurious. The floor will be concrete.

(for those who don't know, cultured marble is a resin/marble powder mix made to look to imitate pure marble)
>>
>>2816776
Idk but sounds complicated.
Are you sure that true marble is not cheaper?
>>
>>2816786
I'm sure, marble powder/marble gravel is extremely cheap compared to real marble, especially if bought in bulk.
It's used in constructions and decorations for gardens (in gravel form), but it's the repurposed leftovers of marble slabs, that's why it's cheaper.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.