[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

The door knob was jammed so I pushed it down hard and know the thingy popped out
Can i fix it?
>>
*now
>>
>>2816854
Jim'll fix it
>>
>>2816854
Nope. Only option is to sell the whole damaged house and buy a new one
>>
bump. should I unscrew it?
>>
>>2816875
Sure. That looks like an ancient doorknob though. They’re easy to replace but that one looks so old that the new standard doorknob isn’t going to line up the same way.
>>
>>2816875
Fwiw, at least on modern door handles, you need to take the handles off first before you can pull the latching mechanism out of the side. So if you take the 2 screws out of the busted part and it doesn’t move much, then remove the handles and the rest of it and it will come apart.
>>
File: Mortise locksets.jpg (958 KB, 731x731)
958 KB
958 KB JPG
>>2816854
>Can i fix it?
Depends on what's wrong with it, and that can't really be determined from how it looks on the outside. You'll need to take the mechanism out of the door and inspect it to see what's keeping it from working. First remove the knobs from both sides of the door, then remove the 2 screws (on the door edge) holding the lockset into the mortise. Then once it's out, reinsert the knob shaft into the locket, try turning it, and see if you can find what's binding up.

It does up the difficulty a bit since this is a mortise lockset, since the mechanism in those is usually concealed inside a case which you may need to disassemble. If you've got to open the lockets case to see the mechanism, take some pictures of the internals so that you know where everything goes when putting it back together.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.