[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is there such a thing as a completely silent A/C?
>>
>>2820432
the fan and compressor always make noise when running so no.
>>
>>2820440
How about something that cools air without compression
>>
>>2820454
you can just wait for winter
>>
Build subterranean ducting with the fan underground. (((HVAC))) is a meme, ground cooling is kino
>>
>>2820454
Swamp cooler. If it gets above 40% humidity where you live they're basically useless though.
>>
>>2820432
Open window
>>
>>2820432
Do your AC like California does their nuclear power. Out of sight out of mind. Put your AC a mile away and blow the air in. Make the noise someone else’s problem.
>>
>>2820534
>nuclear
Nucular
>>
>>2820432
Underground/well pipe heat exchanger. Only needs one circulating pump, those are pretty quiet.
>>
>>2820530
My house doesn't have windows
>>
>>2820432
yes, if you use architechture correctly
>>
>>2820432
yes, there's solid state electric cooling, no moving parts, zero noise, but not sure if it scales to room-sized enclosures
>>
yes, 3 tons of liquid nitrogen poured directly into the home after immense water proofing has been done

the initial pour is super loud but everything after is dead quiet, just ice crystals cracking
>>
>>2820432
Thermoelectric cooling using the Peltier effect is completely silent.
>>
>AC is directly outside my bedroom window
>use it as white noise, helps me go to sleep
>wake up at 3am this morning and it's dead silent and hot
I miss the WHIRRRR
>>
>>2820994
>>2820838
Don't start with those mofo peltier bullshit. I've never seen them implemented in a way that was actually useful and not just "oooh look at this amazing device isn't it neat"
>>
>>2820432
Yeah, if it's a minisplit.

Ok maybe if you're next to the outdoor unit, you'll hear some compressor noises and fan.
>>
>>2820432
yea just turn it off
>>
>>2821121
Winner winner chicken artifact
>>
>>2820432
Minisplits are the most quiet both indoor and out. They "ramp up" the power load so you don't get that big "*click BRRRRR" of a more traditional massive unit, the outdoor units make nothing but the hum of a fanmotor. The only problem they suffer later life is the indoor unit fan bearings make an ungodly high pitched squealing, but that can be avoided with proper maintenance of the filters and washing the blower fan/coils occasionally.
>>
>>2821256
I have installed 2 and it's crazy how quiet they are.
Like you have to listen for them, or notice the wind.
>>
>>2820432
Only in theory. While you could use peltier elements and free convection, it'd take forever to actually cool the room. In practice, you wantsome sort of forced conection, which means you need a fan. And that fan will always make noise. If you want the AC to be affordable, you also need to use a compressor instead of a Peltier, which also makes noise.

You can avoid any noise inside your room by placing the fan and compressor far away from the vents (as in a central AC unit), but that requires ducting from the AC to your room, which results in additional energy loss.
>>
>>2820432
No, but good maintenance can minimize the noise.
Any peltier idea is shit, creates lots of heat that you will need to dissipate with fans.

The basic idea is: to cool something you need to heat other thing, and by consequence you will need to dissipate the heat from that thing, the dissipation bring noise most of the time (you could build a heatsink 3x the size of the house)

TLDR: Buy good and clean ACUs, an inverter type would be expensive, but it would be good.
>>
>>2820994
It's like 10% efficiency though.
>>
Maybe some day our AC/heat pumps will be powered by elastocaloric materials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP6JD5OKroI
>>
>>2821000
>live in brick apartment not matchsticks
>outside unit vibrates the whole fucking structure and i can hear it in my head even if i plug my goddam ears, even more if i plug hem
Sucks
>>
>>2820432
Ice cube on your taint
>>
File: IMG_1775.png (297 KB, 768x576)
297 KB
297 KB PNG
Elastocaloric air conditioners when
>>
>>2820549
I have this, and it is pretty quiet except when the pump to circulate the underground loop comes on it makes a low rumble that everyone thinks sounds like big truck is coming up the driveway.
>>
>>2820432
you just have to deal with the vibration from the walls to your bed, and then to your head
>and the tinnitus
>>
>>2820432
>completely silent A/C?
Yakhchāl
>>
>>2820432
OP I just bought the Midea Ushaped window unit and it is actually almost silent, even on flashcool mode that runs it at 100% power for as long as you want.

NOW TO MY QUESTION.

I don't want bugs and other crap dirtying up my new AC inside, can I tape fiberglass mesh, 16x18 squares per inch, on the vents on the outside and those fuckers out without hurting it? I'm just looking for opinions here or maybe someone can link me to a definitive answer on yt or something as when I was looking at my screen door which is the same stuff and thinking about it, I hit my vape and blew it out and the shit passed right through with ease, so it's not a problem right?
I will bomb this thread until I get an answer so don't ignore me.
>>
Related question/hijack.

Am I understanding correctly that heat pumps are just inverting air conditioners? They're only more efficient in that they're moving energy in or out.
>>
>>2820432
>Is there such a thing as a completely silent A/C?
Yes.
Ammonia-Water systems are dead silent if you just need to cool a single area.
Otherwise, you'll need a blower fan for the distribution system.
>>
>>2824350
bugs aren't going to hurt your AC, and by obstructing the vents, you're going to reduce the amount of air flowing through the condenser, and hence its efficiency. There are plenty of ways window ACs die, and none of them are due to bugs.

>>2824353
pretty much
>>
>>2820432
>>2820454
yes it’s called an ice box. You have a fat bald man with tongs deliver blocks of ice up the 15 flights of stairs to your house and fall down the stairs onto the other two guys repeatedly
>>
>>2824353
in many parts of the world the air conditioner units double as heat pumps because the cycle can run either way. Heat pumps are expensive compared to furnaces but they’re far cheaper to run than resistive electrical heaters.
>>
>>2820432
>Is there such a thing as a completely silent A/C?
No.

>>2820454
>How about something that cools air without compression
It's called a "fan".

>>2820469
Idiot.

>>2820549
Still need a fan to circulate the air over your exchanger or you're just cooling one small spot.

>>2820565
Bullshit.

>>2820994
Fuck off with your meme AC

>>2822285
>I have this
No you don't.

>>2824350
Do not add mesh, you'll just restrict airflow. It sits outside, it's gonna get dirty. Just clean it periodically.

>>2824487
Still requires a pump.

>>2824495
Heat pumps are more complicated and expensive to repair also. The heat pump is cheaper than strips to run but the heat pump is only effective to around 30 degrees. Below 30 it can't produce enough heat so the resistive strips kick in.
>>
ACs heat the atmostphere no?
>>
>>2820454
>>2820432
1) ventilated attic so that the heat does not form a hot box on top of your house
you can do that by adding more vents or with a simple fan
it can be as easy a opening attic window
2) some sort of sun shade over your windows
>trees in front/backyard
>shutters or blinds
>roof overhang or awning
3) spray water on your roof
that's how they cool chicken farms and factories
water plants with the run off or recirculate it
4) swamp cooler
same basic idea as 3, but better
useful only in very dry climates
5) ground loop heat exchanger
pipe/hose buried underground (soil is colder that air in summer )
it can be also used in conjunction with heat pump in winter (soil is warmer than air in winter)
>>
File: url.jpg (137 KB, 602x763)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>2820432
>>2820440
>>2825400
Sirs, the ancient Indian civilization had silent air conditioning thousands of ago years. Dirty persians stole this design without ask.
>>
>>2821256
this is only true of inverter units, and then not only splits can be inverter controlled
>>
>>2826588
isn't this just a swamp cooler?
>>
>>2820432
Sure if you run liquid propane through an evaporator and vent it to the air.
It will cost you a lot though.
>>
>>2820454
>>2820454
>How about something that cools air without compression

There are a few, but not terribly efficient. The first that comes to mind is a thermoelectric heat pump, or "peltier" device (or something like that). Its a solid state electrical powered heat pump with no moving parts. Most are very inefficient though. You run current through them and one side gets hot while the other gets cold. As long as you remove the heat from the hot side, the cold side will absorb heat (ie, get cold/cool the stuff on that side).

There are also absorption systems which have no moving parts, but I don't know if they are totally silent or not. They are used a lot in RV fridges and freezers a lot. It involves (ironically) heating one part with an electric heater/propane burner and then it causes an amonia/water/hydrogen solution to separate and somewhere it recombines and thats an endothermic process and also condenses which is also endothermic. I dont remember the full details but it actually has two different parts that get cold for different reasons. Of course you still have to remove both the heat removed from the cold side AND the heat you added to the system in the heating element, but I think its possible or even practical to do that passively with the right design. (like using the burner to draw air up a chimney and have the incoming air cooling the heat rejection spot before it gets to the burner and then getting exhausted out the top, pulling in more air in the process.
>>
>>2821003
If you do passive cooling design on the heatsinks right you can use them to cool spaces in a meaningful way totally silently, but it will still take a lot of power. They do have practical applications, but they are generally very niche like spacecraft, extremely precise temperature control in scientific instruments, etc, etc. Not for cooling a living room.
>>
File: 1920px-Icy_ball_top.jpg (446 KB, 1920x1369)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
>>2827331
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator explains them pretty well; I don't think I've ever seen a room-scale absorption refrigerator; seems like it'd still work though, and would definitely be less noise than a compressor even if not silent.
>>
Locate the condenser far away, build a shroud (not too close), then have the fan be as large as possible.
>>
File: Question.jpg (67 KB, 1024x768)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
How do you deal with the condensation water from the outdoor unit?
>>
>>2828390
see that blue drain line in the op pic? That's how. Or if it's mounted on a pad on the ground, it just drips out the side of the unit like a conventional heatpump

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.