[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mold removal.jpg (465 KB, 2500x1667)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
A leaky AC caused a patch of mold in my mom's bedroom carpet. Tearing it up will be a real pain since we have to move a lot of stuff. We've managed to get the carpet dry through a carpet blower and dehumidifier. I've tried using hydrogen peroxide and a spray on carpet cleaner (metal can type spray) to get rid of the mold. The hydrogen peroxide made parts of it foam up and the spray on carpet cleaner made it fluffy but the smell of mildew remains. My next plans are to try spraying it with vinegar, Odoban, and a baking soda solution administered through a common spray bottle.. My mom thinks that the mold has gotten underneath the carpet itself and it will need to be removed. I don't understand how water and mold can get underneath the carpet but mold killers can't.
>>
Replace the fucking carpet you dipshit
>>
>>2823204
>I don't understand how water and mold can get underneath the carpet but mold killers can't.
Mold spores had decades to work their way through the carpet. The water had hours/days to work through the carpet. How long did you leave the mould killer down? And the mould killer has a different viscosity than water.

But to answer the thread question you should rent a carpet cleaner and do the entire room. If the smell persists, hire someone to clean the carpet. If it still persists, you should pull up a corner of the carpet, at least enough to see under where the water was, and access the problem. It is possible to pull up carpet, get it cleaned, put the carpet back.
>>
>>2823207
I let the spray on stuff sit for 2 hours as the directions said and let the hydrogen peroxide take hours to dry naturally.
>>
>>2823204
Mold killer kills the mold, soaking the area may have done that just fine. You probably smell the remains (the mold only really smell when they die and fall apart). So it may or may not be dead (it will not grow further without water anyway) and the smell may or may not go away by itself.

But if you leave a trillion mold spores down there it will for sure start to grow again when the carpet gets moist
>>
>>2823259
baking soda or borax might get rid of the scent
>>
>>2823204
RMR 86 and 141. Stain remover and mold (root) killer.

At least you're not like the faggot federal USDC military, that just paints Kilz on the wall and never services the HVAC for 30 yrs. Wanna know why everyone leaving the service is a dumb-ass? Hypoxia.

You cleaned up the source. But don't just treat the spot. Rent a Bissell and go over the entire carpet, after the RMR treatment. Like the other anon said, leave the RMR for awhile to do it's thing, before running the Bissell. Don't get Rug Doctor. Bissell is better.
>>
>>2823204
Carpet is filthy! Take it out.
>>
Carpet is quite easy to patch, and unnoticeable afterwards.
>>
>>2823204
no you fucking moron
>>
>>2823204
You will NEVER get rid of that smell. Clean it all you want, treat it with every chemical you can find. Every time it gets even a little humid in that room it will stink.

Rip the fuckin' carpet out and replace it.
>>
>>2824984
Not if its old moldy shit under a hoarder's pile of stuff. OP likely doesn't even know whats under the carpet and pad either. Could be wood, could be concrete. He'd be a fool for trying to douse the area in chemicals instead of getting rid of mold and porous materials.
>>
>>2823204
remove carpet, throw away, clean up, new carpet.
>>
>>2823204
Cut the carpet up and then glue it back down if you're going to be stupid about this (you are). In the real world you remove the carpet, treat the issue, replace the carpet with new carpet or soak the old one in chlorine or peroxide.
>>
M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C

M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.