[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240710_105948.jpg (2.41 MB, 2160x2385)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
Any tips on repairing shoe souls?
The soul of my right boot is completely cracked up and the rubber is torn and coming off In a bunch of places from starting my motorcycle.
I've repaired it using tie wire in two places but the underlying material is like card board and it isn't going to last.
I've tried epoxy and CA glue and neither of them work at all.
I was thinking about peeling back what's left of the rubber and covering up all the damage with wire mesh, then coating the entire thing in some kind of glue and sticking the rubber back down, but I'm not sure what will work for that
>>
>>2823268
They sell rubber shoe soles for repair.
If you find one that matches your shoes just cut the rubber and glue or stitch the new ones.
I have seen indians making shoes out of tire rubber too. That would be a much rougher solution.
I dont know why are you attached to this particular shoes and dont just buy new ones.
>>
I have a delaminating sole problem, what type of glue should I use to fix it?
>>
>>2823291
The only glue I’ve found that kinda-sorta works is contact cement. There’s others, like polyurethane based glues, but I found they didn’t work that well.
Shoes are almost impossible to repair.
Kind of like when they spent many years to develop a plastic that nothing sticks to for making eyeglasses and car bumpers.
>>
>>2823268
>Any tips on repairing shoe souls

Ah yes, truly a heeling experience
>>
>>2823338
it feels good to get instep with things
>>
>>2823272
It's weird though, the soul is the very soft rubber which is connected to the hard white backer which to me feels like fucking cardboard or fibrous whatever.
I'm not sure if a new soul would fix it since there's nothing to attach it to, I'd almost need to toe cap it but I don't want to.

As for why not replace? Idk I don't want to break in a new set rn. And even still, I'd like to keep them around as a backup pair because they are otherwise in good condition
>>
>>2823272
>I have seen indians making shoes out of tire rubber too. That would be a much rougher solution
tried this, it makes a very durable sole, it looks like shit though. Also the gluing is difficult.
>>
>>2823268
>but I'm not sure what will work for that
it won't, buy new shoes.
>>
>>2823268
you might be able to hold off total disintegration for a while with Shoe Goo, but you’re fighting a losing battle. if the substrate is flimsy and in bad shape, the whole thing will eventually come apart.
even with a whole workshop full of cobbler elves, there’s only so much you can do. the wire mesh idea is heading into Mad Max territory to be honest, and it would be easier to just buy new shoes.
there is something called Barge Cement that supposedly can reattach shoe soles, but I have never seen it for sale where I live. I think it’s just strong contact cement with more carcinogenic solvent.
anyway get a tube of Shoe Goo and see how that works. They say the black stuff is stronger than the clear stuff. Don't sniff it, toluene is bad for your brain and good for your precancerous cells.
>>
https://youtu.be/l15OKng_y3I

Take a look at this video, especially where they show how sole to upper construction is done properly. The leather folds completely underneath and the inside is filled with polyurethane. If you have one of those shoes where the construction was done improperly, I would just bin it and get something like one of these.

Otherwise, as other an0ns have suggested, get a complete pair of soles and glue it on. But the effect won't be as good as done right from the factory.
>>
What's your cost per hour of a set of boots?
You wear them for all your work hours then the commute to and from so it's one of those pieces of gear that you can justify a pretty big spend on, might as well go for quality.
>>
>>2823541
>filled with polyurethane
thats not improper construction, its a trade off.
A pu or cheaper eva layer will save your joints from wearing out before age 40, especially on work shoes or military boots where one lugs dozens of pounds. The flip side is the pu layer will hydrolyses and disintegrate in a matter of 5-15 years.
Why is this even a thing? a pair of boots is cheaper to replace than a pair of knee and hip joints
>>
>>2823268
DIY stores like Menards sell "shoe goo" its a flexible glue that binds leather to rubber etc. Also second the suggestion of tire rubber - if you can cut it out for use, this would be extremely durable.
>>
>>2823738
Somehow you inverted what was written, as if polyurethane was a bad thing. 13:37 in the video.

They also show cutaways of theirs and a cheaper boot: 18:50. Same boot style, $10 more and it has a real sole.
>>
>>2823850
>Also second the suggestion of tire rubber - if you can cut it out for use, this would be extremely durable.

The advent of steel belted tires ended the "Ho Chi Minh sandal" era.

OPs boot is garbage since kickstarting has no ill effects on any remotely decent boot. Investing effort to briefly unfuck it is a false economy.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.