[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fkl.jpg (222 KB, 1532x2048)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
Need to put back my AC because it was taken off for some external works on my condo.
Gotta go DIY because everybody I contacted refuses to do it and the people that took it apart want 500$ to do it.

It's a dual split system with more than 2m of tubing, is the vacuum pump necessary?
And what would be the correct procedure to connect the pump and open the gas after eventually?
Do I have to run it for the two circuit separately?
>>
yes the vacuum is necessary
connect the flares to the threads and tighten them with a torque wrench to whatever the manual says.connect the vac to the left hand side service ports.
assuming you have refrigerant locked in the condenser, yes, you will need to vac them seperately
good luck you should worked it out with them to reconnect your ac
>>
>>2824164
You either stole that or dug it out of the local scrap yard, nobody cuts wires for a temp removal
>>
File: IMG_7882.jpg (843 KB, 2048x1536)
843 KB
843 KB JPG
>>2824164
>is the vacuum pump necessary
yes, you also need a micron gauge, scale, and to verify function some pressure gauges and temperature clamps. Pic related. As you probably need your line set repaired too, you need an acetylene torch and a nitrogen tank to properly braze the lineset. And as >>2824178
mentioned, you probably stole this because who the fuck cuts wires off when you can unscrew them, but didnt realize that you're missing the evaporator which would go inside, so it will do fuck all for you other than selling it for scrap.
>>
>>2824217
oh i also forget, you'll also going to need a bunch of fittings and vacuum hose. all in probably a couple thousand in tools.

>the people that took it apart want 500$ to do it
residential guys are all scammers and if that is how they disassembled it, then they are going to fuck things up
>>
Since this is an AC thread I'll ask here.

I don't want bugs and other crap dirtying up my new window AC inside, can I tape fiberglass mesh, 16x18 squares per inch, on the vents on the outside and keep them out without hurting it? I'm just looking for opinions here or maybe someone can link me to a definitive answer on yt or something as when I was looking at my screen door which is the same stuff and thinking about it, I hit my vape and blew it out and it passed right through with ease, so it's not a problem right?
>>
>>2824178
>>2824217
Ok first of all, Go fuck yourselves.

I live in a condominium and the admin hired a company to take off all of the AC units because they refaced the whole building.
They did the whole condo in a day so I suppose they did a shit job to save time and left the cables to figure it out quickly on reinstallation.
The admin is a jew so he didn't tell us the reinstallation would be on us.

Also I have the split inside and the copper tubes are already installed, I also replaced the insulation on the external copper cables.
>>
>>2824369
is that legal for the landlord to do? Just break everybody’s air conditioner and make them pay to have it repaired?
>>
>>2824378
I wager that if I contacted a lawyer I'd may be able to force him to pay the reinstallation, but a lawyer is more expensive than the installation so eh, I'm planning to move soon anyway.
>>
>>2824217
>nitrogen tank
nah
just braze it bro
>>
>>2824352

Use fiberglass mesh media material. You can order rolls of it online
>>
>>2824175
I'll have to vaccum the two circuits separately right?
I never used a vacuum pump before, is there a specific measure I should achieve in the circuit or should I just run it at -something for a set time?
Also what sort of connection do I need to make sure the circuit remains sealed once I remove the pump and open the gas?
>>
>>2824369
>Ok first of all, Go fuck yourselves.
No, I think you're the one whos going to get fucked here. Because now you get to pay for it to get reinstalled. Also the oil in the compressors is hygroscopic and becomes acidic in the presence of moisture, so you get to suffer premature compressor failure too.

>>2824397
nigger you need nitrogen to prevent black shit from building up inside the copper and fucking up the compressor

>>2824537
>I'll have to vaccum the two circuits separately right?
you vacuum the entire system after it is hooked up

>is there a specific measure I should achieve
yes, get it below 500 microns and make sure it can hold that vacuum for a while, like 15 - 30 minutes, otherwise you have a leak in your system somewhere, or water or refrigerant is slowly boiling out of your compressor oil.

>Also what sort of connection do I need to make sure the circuit remains sealed once I remove the pump and open the gas?
Looks like you have flare connections but they're corroded as fuck. you can pressurize the system with nitrogen to test it, and then cover all the connections in big blu to see if it is leaking. if it is, you get to cut of the ends and make new flares.

https://trutechtools.com/Big-Blu-Leak-Detector-Spray--1-Quart_p_5536.html
>>
>>2824537

The other poster answered most of your questions but I’ll add that you should only ‘break’ the vacuum with refrigerant. If the system is in a vacuum and you disconnect the pump you will be sending atmosphere into the system via the vacuum. Pull the vacuum with your pump attached the manifold gauge set then close off the fitting going to the vacuum pump. Then go open your service valves and release the gas. Assuming the system has been pumped down and all your gas is in the outdoor unit.
>>
>>2824552
and that you should purge the air out of the hose that is hooked up to your refrigeration tank. and if you're in a country which signed the Montreal protocol, which is all United Nations and EU members, it might be difficult to buy refrigerant. in the US you need a EPA 608 cert, which are stupid easy to get at epatest.com, its open book for the type 1 exam so basically you just google questions. I have no idea what things are like in the EU, but probably more obnoxious.
>>
>>2824544
>Because now you get to pay for it to get reinstalled
I won't out of spite of people who do this for a living.
I also plan to buy a compressor off of amazon and send it back once I'm done.

>you vacuum the entire system after it is hooked up
That does not answer my question but I'm going to assume that the answer is yes beacuse there's two valves to do so.

>>2824552
Thanks.
It's actually still possible to have R401 units refilled now even if it's banned, I've even seen some online shop selling tanks.
>>
>>2824634
>I won't out of spite of people who do this for a living.
thats a good stance to take, everything i've read about it is that everyone in hvac is a retard and scam artist, especially residential, its why i got my 608 and 609 certs and a bunch of tools

>I also plan to buy a compressor off of amazon and send it back once I'm done.
you need a vacuum pump, not a compressor, and all the other tools i told you about before
>>
>>2824656
>everyone in hvac is a retard and scam artist, especially residential
>those thick vacuum hoses
Anon secretly works in hvac
>>
>>2824634
Manufacturing R-401 is not legal but recovering it and restoring existing systems with it is still legal, even though there is a lot of red tape surrounding it.
>>
>>2824656
You don't need a cert to work on your own car without compensation. No reason to get a 609. 609 is limited to only letting you buy refrigerant used in cars. 608 allows you to purchase all known refrigerants so it defacto overlaps and covers cars too.
>>
It's done.
>>
>>2826633
Cool. I hope in more ways than one.
>>
What AC systems can easily be converted to propane? Looking for something used and unlicensed eurofag

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.