[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sound.jpg (68 KB, 1080x880)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
What's a decently expensive way to insulate exterior walls against heavy traffic acceleration noise and redneck retardmobiles? I want to actually end the issue, not move or cope and seethe about it.

Everyone on the internet says it's "impossible" or "too expensive" and refuses to elaborate.
>>
>>2824171
On the exterior you're gonna have to do it with landscaping or like a big ass masonry wall. a dense hedge would absorb a lot of it, or you could do a stone wall and try to reflect it. You can't build effective air gaps on the exterior because of your fascia/windows. Otherwise you're doing secondary walls inside. Usually they're like 6 inches thick and have a 4 inch air gap or so. As you go smaller/thinner the dampening is obviously less effective and then you have to question the return. if you leave in your windows that's where most of the sound comes in anyway, so what, knock all the windows out and live in a dead room?
>>
>>2824171
Get the city to put a speed bump on your road
>>
>>2824177
I should get a big hedge, though I'm skeptical of how well it would work since it would have to be pretty high, I would think.
>>2824195
I honestly think that would make it worse. The worst noise is when a light changes to green.
>>
>>2824171
>I want to actually end the issue
The only way to get rid of noise is to move away from the source of the noise.

You can also get ear plugs and use those every night. This is what I would do but I get ear infections.

If you want to sound proof a wall, you strip it to studs, put in sound insulation, then resilient channel, then sonopan, then dry wall over that and refinish. Then you get triple pained windows. And heavy curtains.

Sound abating hedge are surprisingly effective. Ideally you'd get a burm that blocks out the road noises.
>>
>>2824206
there are some tall ass juniper, maybe the taller hedges are sparta juniper that have been trained out or something idk, i don't know shit about landscaping
>>
Anyone recommending hedges is an idiot.
Gabion fences (mesh baskets filled with stone) are the most effective sound blocking material for house vs highway. The main downside is the higher you want it (and you probably want ~2m) the wider the base needs to be. But still, this is your single most effective option. It is moderately expensive, but not bank-breaking. Next best is a solid material fence (wood, corrugated, whatever) with acoustic mat backing.
On the house itself, thick wall insulation, uPVC or wood window joinery instead of metal, double or ideally triple glazing of the thickest overall width that can be installed. Double or triple lapped drywall lining on the inside.
All of that should make a big difference if you're starting from little to no noise control measures.
Putting all the tricks and clever shit aside, ultimately it's mass between you and the noise source that will make the biggest difference. If you can literally build up a berm between your house and the highway, most of the sound will be deflected away from your property.
>>
>>2824171
Can you be more specific, what distance, what type of noise, what type of wall, do you have windows etc

Basically mass blocks sound, but if you have windows, you won't block everything
>>
>>2824206
>light changes to green

*Un ts-un-ts un ts-un-ts un ts-un-ts*
*BBBBRRRRAAAAAAaaaaappppppppppp*
>>
>>2824727
We're about 50-100m from a busy suburban intersection of two four-lane artery roads. There's some trees and between the house and the road, flanked by a strip mall and a house, but otherwise a straight shot for sound.
Vinyl siding, fiberglass insulation. The windows are double pane sliding windows, I'm having them replaced with triple pane, and compression seals rather than sliding. And leaning towards beefing up the walls too, but unsure of how exactly yet.

>>2824797
This is literally it yeah. Strangely enough it doesn't bother me at night, partly because there's just less traffic and I'm also mercifully a good sleeper.
>>
https://youtu.be/RUa8r3432tc?t=286
>>
>>2824806
>50-100m
That is good because it is mostly high frequencies and not ground rumbles which is harder to mitigate

>trees
MORE trees, or plants, any mass between the noise and your windows is good mass, the more coverage/dense the better

The closer it is to your windows the better

>fibreglass
This is already top tier for sound absorption so nothing you can do with the walls, unless you add a layer of brick over it externally and with an air gap

>windows
>triple pane
yes, seals are important, but you need ventilation, consider heat recovery unit so you can seal the windows properly
>>
You'd have to reframe the walls essentially. Most people aren't ready to open up the walls, extend their electrical boxes, and hang/mud/sand drywall again. So they opt to built an exterior barrier to bounce sound away.

Sound insulation starts with double studded walls (for pure audio studio rooms), or staggered stud walls. Then everything is done to prevent vibrations from transmitting from one wall to another. A heavier mineral wool insulation would help.

You can then apply mass loaded vinyl, which are sheets of heavy as fuck plastic you staple onto the studs (remembering to mark your studs onto the basefloor so the drywallers can know where to hang). Double sheeted drywall or even 5/8" drywall is another way to dampen sound. Then you adjust your electrical boxes (if you've remembered where they are). If the electrical boxes are between rooms (compared to walls facing the exterior), you'd wrap each box with a puddy pad to encapsulate/isolate sound from each other.

I'd honestly only do this for bedrooms and maybe an AV room, maybe a finished garage, but it's a significant more work than regular walls.
>>
File: 8451454874.jpg (62 KB, 601x424)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>2824510
I worked on a house that had a similar issue. The client was only concerned with noise, and didn't care how it looked. I learned quickly that most of the noise comes in through the windows, so after consulting with a few old timers, I learned that really thick plexiglass in place of the windows can make a world of difference. I also pulled out all the dry wall....and she was okay with this, I put in rebar and then filled it with straight up concrete (pic related) and left indentations so I could drill on strong plywood sheets into the wooden beams. Put new drywall in, smoothed it, painted it, and that house was so fucking soundproof that I fired a 45. outside and she said it sounded like those little paper firecrackers that you throw on the ground and basically make a "clicking sound" when they hit.
>>
>>2824844
>nothing you can do with the walls
Couldn't be improved with any additional mass e.g. a layer of sonopan and another drywall? I'll reassess after the windows are done to see if it's necessary. It might be good enough with the windows, I'm hoping.
>trees, plants etc
Something I'm dubious about with outdoor measures is that the second floor has a line of sight to the noise source. Wouldn't any outdoor measure have to be at least high enough to get between it? And the closer to the house it is, the higher it would have to be because of geometry.
>>
>>2824171
Sound is vibration and vibration dampening comes from transitioning through mass. You need to increase the density of the insulation of your walls either by replacing with a denser material (like switching from fiberglass to mineral wool), adding additional layers, or creating a laminate effect via alternating material. Before reinstalling the drywall you install sheets of mass loaded vinyl. The heavier the density of the MLV the more dampening effect.

While you have the walls open check for sources where sound can leak through such as if there's a gap where the window was installed. Fill those gaps with some expanding foam or whatever else if you're one of those retards who are terrified of foam as a sealant.

Have softer material inside the room. If you have all wood everything, then whatever sound does permeate can then reverberate making it appear louder.

Add in other additional layers between you and the road. Privacy fence, row of tall bushes/hedges, etc.

For additional mass to add to the walls you can try making a diy MLV foam boards that you affix to the walls. Basically take any of the acoustic foam board tutorials from YouTube and just add MLV to the back of it before hanging it up.

Add mass to your windows in the form of black out curtains. Or if you don't use your window, glue a foam insulation block to it.

The list goes on and on, basically add as much mass as you can between you and the source of the sound, then check for anywhere sound can leak through and seal it up.
>>
>>2824723
>Gabion fences (mesh baskets filled with stone)

I was going to say city building ordinances won't let OP do that but a quick image search turns up pics of these types of fences in suburban yards, so maybe?
>>
>>2824171
It's impossible because to achieve what you want, you need 5ft thick walls made of stone. It's basic physics, I'm sorry you didn't graduate highschool. You people seen these composite material meme images and think it'll do something, it's not going to qualitatively change anything assuming your house hasn't got actual holes in it.

Wear headphones in or move house, the air pollution there will suck anyway.
>>
>>2824806
windows with triple plane are good, but remember that different glasses thickness help a ton, and a double glass in one layer helps a lot to.
is more complicated than just get more panes and empty space, get a good professional.
if you have fiberglass you already have good insulation in your walls, you need to check for sound bridges? , like thermal bridges but for sound, i dunno if there is a word for that in english
>>
>>2824195
>kathump
>kathump
>braaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAP
>>
>>2824171
Be glad you dont live next to a school full of retarded screaming kids.

>>2826224
High levels of brake dust and exhaust in the air from all the cars constantly braking and accelerating
>>
>>2826224
Thats be by the way. I don't know why I do it, it's primate.
>>
>>2825838
>it's basic physics
>you need 5ft thick walls made of stone
Post formulas. If it's basic physics then show your work.
>>
>>2827052
STFU you insolent goy
>>
Getting my crawl space spray foamed helped a lot. Wonder if spray foaming the roof rafters or foam boards in the attic will help. Have considered taking the vynle siding off to double insult too. Planting a wall between the house and the road will work neighbors that have a vegetation wall on a berm get the best results.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.