[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: absolute fools knots.png (475 KB, 843x843)
475 KB
475 KB PNG
I've been doing the overhand loop my entire life and its always worked fine. Why do boomers push these meme knots so hard? They seem inferior in every way to the simple overhand loop.
>>
>>2824238
There are useful knots and the rest are basically for dead (and live!) weights.
>>
>>2824238
Your lack of knowledge on a subject doesn't make the subject irrelevant.
>>
>>2824238
a sheet bend is for joining 2 pieces of rope of differnet thickness
a clove hitch is for attaching a rope to a pole
an overhand loop can replace a bowline but idk why you put the other 2 there
>>
>>2824238
>seem
That's because you are ignorant. Complicated knots were invented to keep ships together. They were literal life lines. If the knots failed, people died.
>>
>>2824238
You screwed this up, that’s not a quick release knot. If you’re going to learn one knot and declare the rest useless at the very least pick one that can be released by pulling
>>
>>2824299
you dont need to shill quick release knots just because you keep fucking up a simple bowtie knot
>>
>>2824238
Sailing and boating.
>>
>>2824238
Fuck is wrong with a clove hitch? It's the only one I realistically use for anything useful.
>>
>>2824238
OP is a faggot
>>
For tying stuff down in the bed of my truck that doesn't warrant a ratchet strap, I have a tie-off eye on one of the front corners of my bedrail and a cleat on the other. Wrap whatever I'm securing, use the cleat to do a figure-8 in like 2 seconds, done and it's tight af

Tying is for chuds
>>
I have found endless use for good knots.
The taut-line hitch and the trucker's hitch are both excellent.
>>
>>2824625
>trucker's hitch
have you tried the alpinme butterfly instead?
>>
>>2824238
granny and square knots are all you need. just keep making more loops here and there and it'll eventually do the job.
>>
>>2824287
Not particularly secure, according to the very knowledgeable OP. As someone who climbs frequently I trust my life to clove hitches all the time. Likewise with bowlines and overhand knots. I don't see the problem.
>>
>>2824688
>Not particularly secure, according to the very knowledgeable OP
it isn't secure if you use it on a smooth surface like a piece of bamboo or smooth metal. I wouldn't trust my life to a single clove hitch. I'd tie two.
>>
>>2824244
this is my go-to knot
>>
File: techtip_clove_3.jpg (99 KB, 500x375)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>2824699
I think a clove hitch is safe in this context. It's inside a locked carabiner so that there is no chance it can become untied. The only failure mode would be loosening to such a degree that the rope could run freely through the carabiner at a speed sufficient to cause injury. The other end of the rope is fixed to your partner, so it will never run through the hitch.

I've used this to create a personal anchor hundreds of times and never seen a clove hitch slip after being tightened. I don't doubt that it could slip a little if it was being cyclically loaded in both directions, but a little slip would not be a big deal in this application.

(if you are curious)
https://www.climbing.com/skills/use-clove-hitch-rock-climbing-anchoring/
>>
>>2824244
This is an extemely useful one for tying something down while maintaining tension
>>
Knots are useful because they are handy in place of equipment.

Professionals however revert to specialized equipment/hardware to do the same task.

To join rope? Sailors would splice. Climbers hook on with carabiners.

As for knots? You best bet is a Zepplin bend, double fishermans. The Double Sheet Bend is easy to master in a pinch.

Forming a loop? Climbers attach a carabiner. Or they'll use a figure 8. Figure 8's are just one more wrap than an overhand loop.
Bowline knot is the general fixed eye knot. Rescuers use an adapted more secure bowline. Pulling a stretcher? Portuguese Bowline.

Repelling? You've got the gri-gri repel device, or you can adapt with a munter hitch. The munter has more friction and can damage the rope but if you have nothing else, then so be it.
>>
>>2824967
But yes, the craft of knot work was developed over human history with natural fibers that offer more internal resistance than synthetic fibers. Nowadays synthetic fibers are much more prone to slipping, and renders much of the bulk of knots obsolete. There are some handy ones to know

Figure 8; Forms a loop. Secure knot. Can be a stopper knot. Figure 8s can be used to attach harnesses to rope.

Bowline (and it's related Sheet Bend/Double Sheet Bend); Forms a fixed loop. Not a secure knot, but one of the most easiest knots to untie even under a bind. Sheet Bend is a cut variant line to join two ropes; easy to tie and easy to untie. The Double Sheet Bend is a more secure version.

Constrictor/Clove Hitch; The clove hitch is among the easiest knots to tie if you have an open end. The constrictor is another wrap around that's far less easy to untie.

Truckers Hitch; many variants out there. Tie down objects instead of a ratchet strap. The western version uses a fixed loop (usually an alpine butterfly), that you run your line to your anchor point then back through the fixed loop. Asian versions are almost sheepshank versions that are far quicker to untie.

Prusik or an Icicle Hitch. Some sort of slip and grip knot to grip onto a smooth cylinder object, or even rope. This is one of the more modern developments of knotwork, that there's still more being formed.
>>
>>2824238
The bowline is easier to untie after you've stressed the line versus the overhand loop.
>>
>>2824246
Ironic comic from a person who makes pointless posts devoid of information. OP asked a question and instead of answering, you respond with a cryptic shitpost accusing them of having a lack of knowledge lmao.
>>
The problem with these fancy knots is I make an effort to learn them, then 2 years go by before I need a knot and I forgot everything except the square knot.
>>
>>2824969
>modern developments of knotwork
We haven't discovered all the knots yet?! Humans have been tying knots for thousands of years.
>>
Calling a bowline bullshit is some serious landlubber nonsense.
>>
I've literally tried hundreds of knots on pic related (shirring elastic) and they all open up.
Been using it as an insert for my T-shirt collars to prevent them from expanding but I always end up putting a drop of superglue on the knot..
>>
>>2824611

i frequently use the "trucker's hitch" for that. not much different from using a ratchet strap and you can do it with just the rope you have
>>
>>2824244
I just learned this shit. I used it on clothes lines but i wonder if i could use it on important shit like cargo on top of a truck.
>>
File: $50 termination plate.jpg (30 KB, 527x750)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>
>>2828029
Try the cleat and figure 8 method, it's bueno
>>
You know what's really funny to realise only after it was pointed out, but a bowline is actually just a simple slip knot at heart and also a sheet bend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgewPTFzJzg
>>
If knots cause ropes to lose half their stength then how viable are the lternatives like wrapping the rope around volumes and stopping them with cleats?
>>
>>2828588
Some knots retain upwards on 80% of the rope's strength. The strength depends on what knot you're using, what rope you're using, and how you're pulling on it. Even when you NEED to use a weak knot it is usually cheaper to buy a stronger rope than to buy hardware.
Alternatives to knots (like termination plates >>2828092) exist, but they're not good solutions. The only reason they see any use is because they provide consistent strength. The strength of a knot depends on how well it is dressed so you can't just look at it and know what it will support. The only way to be sure is to pull on it until it breaks. That's not a good solution, so instead people avoid going anywhere near a load where it might break.
>>
>>2828590
>Some knots retain upwards on 80% of the rope's strength.
what knots? I've only seen that for the fig 9 loop variation from what I could find
>>
>>2829036
Figure 8 and Butterfly are the only two I can name off hand.
>>
>>2824238
a good knot has two features:
1. hold
2. easy to untie no matter how much strain was put on it

square knots used to be illegal and you could be charged with murder if someone died because you fucked it up.
>>
>>2829040
the paper i saw only tested crossload on the alpine butterfly but it scored the best out of the loops tested for this orientation at 50%
they had a couple bowlines and overhand variations
>>
Really interesting fishing knots
but they don't describe the methodology of how they determined the line strength because they're claiming like 140%?
https://www.knotsforfishing.com/knot-strength-chart/
>>
>>2829055
Those are multi-line knots. 140% of the strength of a fishing line is what's left over from 2 fishing lines (which together had 200% the strength of a fishing line).
>>
>>2829057
no they're clearly terminating on hooks, they're using the official recorded breaking strain of say 20lb but not actually testing the breaking strain of the actual line alone from what I can tell which a strange oversight.
>>
I think you people need to get tested for knotism.
>>
>>2828087
We used it to secure canoes a month ago, can confirm it works well. That said, they were carbon fiber, so there wasn't any significant amount of weight involved.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (104 KB, 1500x951)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
how are you going to hoist a 5 gallon bucket without a barrel hitch?
>>
What's that japanese artform where you knot scarves to make bags and other ornate uses?
>>
>>2829355
Anon, you can't call women bags.
>>
>>2829355
Furoshiki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzRf4cok_I
>>
>>2825171
Cryptic? Do you have 14 IQ?
They do have a lack of knowledge and the only question they asked was "muh boomer" retard cope.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.