[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

how the fuck do you move heavy shit?
i was loading and unloading a uhaul with my brother a few weeks ago and i felt like a fucking moron. i'm like, assembling ramps out of 2x4s and trying to crank shit into place with ratchet straps.

what stuff can i use to make this easier? a dolly is one thing but i can't really justify keeping a pallet jack or whatever kicking around a spare room.

do people use pulleys? can i just buy a pulley? people must move heavy shit regularly, how do they do it?
>>
>>2824253
hand truck and getting a uhaul box truck with a ramp. not being a pussy helps too
>>
>>2824253
first, if its your shit and youre packing it, and putting it up into a truck 1. pack it to be carried. 2. if not, get a truck with a lift/gate thing to move shit in and out of the truck. basic life stuff. straps and skids are for dudes who can put shit on their backs. if you dont know if that is you, dont try it i guess.
>>
>>2824253
I like to corner walk heavy boxes. Instead of lifting something I'll tip it up into the bed. Heavy isn't a problem, but awkward will hurt you. A hand truck is just a lever, so is a ratchet strap.

Packing wise keep heavy shit in small boxes and save the big ones for light shit.

Furniture straps help with some stuff but really the best solution is to get your dumbass brother to do it for you.
>>
>>2824253
I'm crippled and move a shitload of heavy objects by myself.

People who move things often own trucks. Get a used liftgate and appropriate overload springs for your pickup. I love mine. They're simple to install.

Dollies and rolling industrial carts are awesome. Put all your heavy tool boxes, equipment like compressors and anything else heavy on a castered base then enjoy mobility for life.

Own at least one excellent ramp. I buy used moving van ramps (~$150 is reasonable). It takes space to store but they're worth it. The sooner you gear up to move useful things the more you can acquire.

Hand winches, comealongs, snatch blocks, cheap Harbor Freight 12V winches (easily run off a jump starter pack or your vehicle battery using jumper cables) etc make pulling heavy objects easier. Pry bars and wooden cribbing (cut up a 4x4 into foot long sections) rock for lifting heavy shit far enough to get a dolly or jack underneath.

Download the army rigging manual and do some reading.
>>
All moving heavy shit is this.

1) Pry it up with leverage.
2) Chock it up with a wedge, so you you're off the ground
3) Repeat on each side
4) Insert rollers.

This applies for moving lathes, machinery, etc.

UHaul? Rent a truck with a lift gate, or a truck with a ramp, and just a dolly. If you're really hauling big shit on your own, chain hoist, usually hooked between two chains wrapping a joist.
>>
File: WiCnQ9R.jpg (3.6 MB, 5184x3456)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB JPG
>>2824253
society is retarded these days
it used to be that homes would have these posts sticking out to use as pulleys in order to get furniture up to the upper floors by going through windows (which at the time were usually pretty large)
>>
700lbs, $80, get one with additional tubes on the back if you want to be able to slide it up a staircase. Also some webbing straps with loops, loop over shoulders so that you dont have to deadlift stuff off the floor

Dolleys are nice but they get stuck a lot
>>
File: R.jpg (55 KB, 1154x1154)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
farm jacks are useful for this kind of thing. and lots of wood pieces.
>>
>>2824253
hand trucks for small things, dollies for bigger things. Floor jack to get big&heavy things onto dollies. takes up much less space in your house and is more useful than a pallet jack for personal use. Lift gate truck for things too heavy to feasibly push up a ramp. if thing is too large to use a lift gate without it tipping over/falling off, rent a forklift. it's cheap for a couple days rental. if the item is absolutely monstrous (too big to fit within walls of box truck) you need a flatbed style truck. Side load with a big forklift or get a guy with a rollback truck which can winch it up after you get your thing on dollies.
>>
>>2824253
What on earth could you be moving that 2 people couldn't lift
>>
File: 1721334049407.jpg (116 KB, 1280x720)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>he doesn't know
>>
>>2825659
ur mum

and high quality stuff
>>
>>2825301
>farm
that's just a high lift
>>
>>2825659
Depends on the two people. OP is probably a Onions aficionado. That's how I hurt my shoulder. I was carrying one end of my uncles battleship sized dresser, and the two manlet mexicans he got to help were on the other one. They could hold it up and let it rotate, and I slammed against the wall before I could dump the load.

>>2826293
>high quality stuff
Fuck people with their heavy-ass furniture. I have a shoulder bursas because my uncle has some heavy fucking shit. Yeah, it's high quality, but next time he moves, I'm bringing a reciprocating saw.
>>
File: gowron sarcasm.gif (2.2 MB, 640x460)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB GIF
>>2825301
I'd pay money to see a couple of yahoos trying to load a refrigerator onto a truck with a high lift perched on a pile of scrap lumber, and the subsequent cracked skull.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.